CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

The problem with Fickell is that Cincy might make the playoffs and is about to be in a conference where they can probably continue making it as a 1 loss conference champion with a decent OOC schedule every year. 

He's already making 3.4 a year. I'm guessing Cincy could look in the couch cushions and bump that in a renegotiation if they need to. 

USC is seeming more and more difficult to win at and also seems to have some serious culture issues. Yes it's still USC but I'm not sure Fickell wants to take his wife and 6 kids across the country to instantly have a much more difficult job so he can... make the playoff? Win a title? He's getting close to that where he is. 

Your first paragraph is why stoops and Riley passed on nfl jobs to stay at ou

9 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

There’s no chance LSU is missing on Aranda, Napier, Tucker and Fickell  types regardless of all that. 

It’s pretty obvious that LSU is all in on Riley and the only logical conclusion is they probably have him. 

There are pictures of LSU’s AD on vacation and hunting. It makes no logical sense for him to be doing that in the middle of a coaching search that would be going so poorly. It’s only an educated guess but I think they have Riley in the bag. 

LSU may end up getting Riley. Just a reminder that last time their job opened, they ended up promoting O, who had a failed stint at LSU, an OK interim stint at SC, and a good career as a recruiter and coordinator. This go-round, there are a lot of schools willing to pay LSU-like money, but that will not come with a huge move and the insanity of LSU expectations and pressure. Saban and Miles were both up and coming but not "proven" winners at mid-level P5 schools. LSU does not have a birthright to a big-name coach

As far as Woodward going hunting, come on man. What ought he to be doing? Poring over all the resumes that came in on Monster.com? Broodily staring out his exec suite window? Yelling into his desk phone in 1920's newspaper man voice "you get me Riley and you get him now, I won't let him say no!"

These are conversations between agents, lawyers, regents, and a few donors that are financing. I'd bet almost all parties involved except for the working football coaches are doing this from their hunting lodge or vacation house. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

As far as Woodward going hunting, come on man. What ought he to be doing?   These are conversations between agents, lawyers, regents, and a few donors that are financing. I'd bet almost all parties involved except for the working football coaches are doing this from their hunting lodge or vacation house. 

Opportunity for another @THUJONE  masterpiece ??

5 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

These are conversations between agents, lawyers, regents, and a few donors that are financing. I'd bet almost all parties involved except for the working football coaches are doing this from their hunting lodge or vacation house. 

And coordinating sugarbabies.  Don't forget the sugarbabies.

16 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

SIAP but Harsin to Washington has been rumored recently. What an odd tenure that has been

As far as anyone knows, Harsin is not vaccinated.  And we saw what happened to Rolovich at Washington State for not getting vaccinated.  So, this rumor makes absolutely no sense.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 11/25/2021 at 11:20 AM, A’Dam Psycho said:

Idk I’ve kinda always felt the notion that Texas is not a top ten job because Saban, Meyer, etc turned it down to be lazy and LSU is proof. 9/10 coaches aren’t leaving a good situation to go deal with the stress of rebuilding a major program with impatient fans & mediocre players that you have to convince to buy in. LSU might need to go the coordinator route. Dan Lanning possibly. 

Saban did not turn us down, Mack stuck his duck in the mashed potatoes.   There was some talent on this team and UT was still relevant.  

7 years and 2 bad coaching hires later, Urban did turn us down.   He “looked under the hood” and saw a .500 team and said nope.  He probably would have had us somewhere around 8-4 but that’s based primarily on his ability to get more buy in and trust from reputation alone.  

11 minutes ago, Jimbob said:

Saban did not turn us down, Mack stuck his duck in the mashed potatoes.   There was some talent on this team and UT was still relevant.  

7 years and 2 bad coaching hires later, Urban did turn us down.   He “looked under the hood” and saw a .500 team and said nope.  He probably would have had us somewhere around 8-4 but that’s based primarily on his ability to get more buy in and trust from reputation alone.  

Just like he got Jacksonville to over achieve.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Jimbob said:

The Jags getting #1 to draft Lawrence probably helped that decision as well. Hopefully NIL and some booster cooperation helps our case after next season. 

51 minutes ago, Jimbob said:

Mack did stick his dick in the mashed potatoes, but Saban ultimately turned us down. And Urban turned us down for a lot more than just thinking we didn’t have enough talent.

5 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I’m not sure why USC wouldn’t throw a huge offer to Lincoln Riley. He would be a moron to pick LSU over USC.

No he wouldn’t. 

LSU plays the bagman game better than anyone in the country and they’re willing to cheat their asses off. A lot of people are really undervaluing this. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

No he wouldn’t. 

LSU plays the bagman game better than anyone in the country and they’re willing to cheat their asses off. A lot of people are really undervaluing this. 

The Louisiana kids also have to factor in their parents losing their jobs and having their homes foreclosed on if they go somewhere other than LSU.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I’m not sure why USC wouldn’t throw a huge offer to Lincoln Riley. He would be a moron to pick LSU over USC.

Because he hates walking in to guaranteed 11 win seasons? And loves dealing with organizational clusterfucks and apathetic fanbases? 

Well shit - I've got a job he can have!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Georgia is about to straight up buy a national championship this year. 

Outside of salary, most coaches want a place that’s going to help them land the best recruits possible. That’s LSU. This is a school that still employs Will Wade.

i will be happy to admit I’m wrong, but it’s why I always thought Riley was in play at LSU. OU recruits well but nothing like LSU can when they’re winning and buying recruits.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/23/2021 at 12:10 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

There’s a mistake in your logic. Can you see it?

I said that Bellotti’s ignorance of the importance of the Michigan game ended his candidacy. It doesn’t follow that he necessarily would’ve been hired otherwise. Your reasoning is as sound as Swam’s.

Now tell us how his 2-10-1 record against Michigan really wasn’t much of a factor in the decision to fire John Cooper.

Alright maybe Belloti wasn't a shoe in until he mentioned the civil war.  What's more likely? 

1. anOSU was aghast a career west coast coach though his west coast rivalry was comparable?

2. anOSU liked an OH coach better.

31 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

Be shocked if Washington hires Wilcox.  Trade a defensive coach who can recruit for a defensive coach who can’t recruit is not going to make the Husky faithful very erect 

Read that a big reason that Lake was fired was for how terribly he has been recruiting this year is going...

34 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Most discussions that I have seen talk about how much better the Lsu job is than Usc.

Think about it, two idiots won National Championships as Head Coaches at LSU    (Les Miles and Coach O).

Lsu > Usc    😋

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Nobody can out recruit USC when they are rolling. Cmon. 

It depends on your current boosters and their desire to win.  We won in 2005 and almost again in 09 because of a couple guys who wanted to see another one before they were gone.   A long drought can have that effect once you realize you have more than you can ever spend and not so many years left, look at UGA.   They are riding high on the bottle on their way to possibly their first MNC in over 40 years.  

Someone has to step in and take the reins and that goes for everyone.  NIL may/should change that as smaller boosters start having the ability to contribute in recruiting.  But we are still in the early stages so the large boosters and their appetite for winning still matters and separates the contenders from everyone else.   Currently we are firmly in the everyone else club.  

21 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Nobody can out recruit USC when they are rolling. Cmon. 

PAC12 has no fans at games anymore... Even Cowturd (a USC fan) is extremely critical of the lack of TV money and interest in PAC12 football -- NFL, Lakers, and Dodgers dominate the LA sports scene now...  

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

PAC12 has no fans at games anymore... Even Cowturd (a USC fan) is extremely critical of the lack of TV money and interest in PAC12 football -- NFL, Lakers, and Dodgers dominate the LA sports scene now...  

"UCLA has embarrassing attendance during season opener at Rose Bowl" 

Edited by LTtxfan

USC was buying houses for football players back when that shit was really illegal and they recently fleeced movie stars just for admissions. At some point Trojan is going to decide they really want to win again with the right coach and make this NIL thing work like magic. And unlike corn dog, they are sophisticated and a bunch of them are well and truly nationally connected. They’ll make LSU bags look like the penny ante shit it is, and they’ll start winning. Remember when they rolled in and grabbed Joe McKnight from Louisiana? Corn dog doesn’t go out to SoCal and take who they want even now. 

Then the LA fans will come back and you’ll see movie stars on the sidelines. The difference between LSU and USC is that USC can decide to play big WITHOUT fan support. It will just take some time and decisions. People underestimate the wealth and power of that school and alumni base. 

• Hook 'Em 6

4 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

USC was buying houses for football players back when that shit was really illegal and they recently fleeced movie stars just for admissions. At some point Trojan is going to decide they really want to win again with the right coach and make this NIL thing work like magic. And unlike corn dog, they are sophisticated and a bunch of them are well and truly nationally connected. They’ll make LSU bags look like the penny ante shit it is, and they’ll start winning. Remember when they rolled in and grabbed Joe McKnight from Louisiana? Corn dog doesn’t go out to SoCal and take who they want even now. 

Then the LA fans will come back and you’ll see movie stars on the sidelines. The difference between LSU and USC is that USC can decide to play big WITHOUT fan support. It will just take some time and decisions. People underestimate the wealth and power of that school and alumni base. 

I live out here.  Most of the country underestimate the level of wealth out here overall. However these people don’t care about sports at all.  Also corn dog did grab Eli ricks

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I live out here.  Most of the country underestimate the level of wealth out here overall. However these people don’t care about sports at all.  Also corn dog did grab Eli ricks

You don’t need all of them to, just enough. It’s like Phil Knight at Oregon. USC doesn’t have a single bankroller like that around— but I’ll bet you can cobble together a dozen or so and get there, easier than LSU or any big Southern school outside of maybe Texas. You need a talented fundraising AD.

The disinterest is not a new problem. Hell, LA is the town that’s lost TWO NFL franchises, when the surf is up, you can shout across the stadium. The fans will follow the cool and the winning and USC can do that again.

Didn’t Ricks come from IMG? That sort of changes calculus. 

5 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

You don’t need all of them to, just enough. It’s like Phil Knight at Oregon. USC doesn’t have a single bankroller like that around— but I’ll bet you can cobble together a dozen or so and get there, easier than LSU or any big Southern school outside of maybe Texas. You need a talented fundraising AD.

The disinterest is not a new problem. Hell, LA is the town that’s lost TWO NFL franchises, when the surf is up, you can shout across the stadium. The fans will follow the cool and the winning and USC can do that again.

Didn’t Ricks come from IMG? That sort of changes calculus. 

There’s just too many things to do here. We lack the “let’s root for the hometown boys” sentiment that other parts of the country IE Nebraska with its 921st consecutive sellout.  But what else is there to do in Nebraska ?

• Haha 1