CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

There’s just too many things to do here. We lack the “let’s root for the hometown boys” sentiment that other parts of the country IE Nebraska with its 921st consecutive sellout.  But what else is there to do in Nebraska ?

Fair enough. I have to admit that I am biased, USC changed my life. I was in attendance as a thirteen year old at the 1995 Cotton Bowl when USC put the hurt on Texas Tech. Midway into the first I discovered I cared WAY more about watching Song Girls through the binoculars than the shitshow Zebbie Lethridge was putting on. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sabalo said:

With OU going to the SEC, Riley would have a much easier path to the playoffs at USC than he would at OU or LSU. 

Extremely debatable especially with playoff expansion. If we go to 12 teams then it's virtually guaranteed 3 SEC teams get in every year.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Rumored contract of $100M+ for Lincoln would be 1/5 of the endowment of LSU. That would be the equivalent of Harvard giving a coach a $10B contract.

How sad is it that LSU has an endowment is 1/4 of TCU's?

FOOOOTBALLLLL!!!!!

LSU ain't come here to play school.

• Haha 7

6 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Rumored contract of $100M+ for Lincoln would be 1/5 of the endowment of LSU. That would be the equivalent of Harvard giving a coach a $10B contract.

How sad is it that LSU has an endowment is 1/4 of TCU's?

FOOOOTBALLLLL!!!!!

Lulz.  LSU is a broke ass school but that really puts it in perspective.

42 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

USC was buying houses for football players back when that shit was really illegal and they recently fleeced movie stars just for admissions. At some point Trojan is going to decide they really want to win again with the right coach and make this NIL thing work like magic. And unlike corn dog, they are sophisticated and a bunch of them are well and truly nationally connected. They’ll make LSU bags look like the penny ante shit it is, and they’ll start winning. Remember when they rolled in and grabbed Joe McKnight from Louisiana? Corn dog doesn’t go out to SoCal and take who they want even now. 

Then the LA fans will come back and you’ll see movie stars on the sidelines. The difference between LSU and USC is that USC can decide to play big WITHOUT fan support. It will just take some time and decisions. People underestimate the wealth and power of that school and alumni base. 

This.  I said as much before and you liked the post but yeah.  There is more loose change in USC's couch on private jets than any of the current SEC schools not in Texas.  They may not care and the fan support fickle but if they decide they want to spend to win, they dwarf most everyone and the NIL money there is huge.  Just imagine if only the USC film school alumni start promising roles in movies.

40 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I live out here.  Most of the country underestimate the level of wealth out here overall. However these people don’t care about sports at all.  Also corn dog did grab Eli ricks

I too live here I think most of the country know this place is fucking retarded when 1400 sq ft homes in Hawthorne with 1 bath are going 1.4m lol 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Not sure why y’all keep talking about LSUs bag game and how that makes them so attractive. Doesn’t NIL make that waaaaaay less of a factor now? Like, damn near eliminate it altogether? What am I missing here?

No taxes on the bag game.  Less of a factor going forward, but to dismiss it as a notable factor is probably unwise.

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

How sad is it that LSU has an endowment that is 1/4 of TCU's?

FOOOOTBALLLLL!!!!!

We got college men from LSU. Went in dumb, come out dumb too.

Edited by 956 Worldwide

10 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Not sure why y’all keep talking about LSUs bag game and how that makes them so attractive. Doesn’t NIL make that waaaaaay less of a factor now? Like, damn near eliminate it altogether? What am I missing here?

NIL only works for players already on campus.  Bags are used to get guys on campus.  Whynotboth.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

It’s going to take a bit of time, NIL just started.  The bag game will eventually fall by the wayside once guys figure out how to write off the expenses.  

1 minute ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

NIL only works for players already on campus.  Bags are used to get guys on campus.  Whynotboth.jpg

While this is true, NIL will be weaponized.  “aggy is willing to drop you a 250k bag today, but if you sign with us on Tuesday we will get you a $1M contract. 

5 minutes ago, Jimbob said:

While this is true, NIL will be weaponized.  “aggy is willing to drop you a 250k bag today, but if you sign with us on Tuesday we will get you a $1M contract. 

That’s the best part about the bags!! They can do both!! What’s aggy going to do? Throw themselves under the bus?

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

This.  I said as much before and you liked the post but yeah.  There is more loose change in USC's couch on private jets than any of the current SEC schools not in Texas.  They may not care and the fan support fickle but if they decide they want to spend to win, they dwarf most everyone and the NIL money there is huge.  Just imagine if only the USC film school alumni start promising roles in movies.

None of that matters if the school doesn’t care about football like LSU does. 

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I live out here.  Most of the country underestimate the level of wealth out here overall. However these people don’t care about sports at all.  Also corn dog did grab Eli ricks

LSU’s identity is football and sports. That Riley contract/endowment post is sad but that’s who LSU is. They don’t give a shit about academics and their school is driven by success in football and athletics. 

USC fans couldn’t give a shit about college athletics. I haven’t looked at this closely but I bet the basketball and baseball attendance for USC has been downright awful the last decade.  The basketball arena looks half empty when I see USC play. 

Yep. We just don’t care.  Keep in mind both schools likely have 100k+ alumni here 

You speak nothing but the truth. A few friends of mine that live out in LA, one being a UT grad, told me that most people in LA are pro fans and even then with their sports if you’re doing well they might go see you, but if you suck they don’t know you exist. Therefore, you don’t have a lot of people in that part of the country that plan their Saturdays around college sports.

• Hook 'Em 1

Best benefit of Riley going to OU is obviously the chance that OU hires a dud. I've never been as scared of Riley as lots on this board seem to be. OU has gotten steadily worse under him, just haven't cratered. He's like a much slower motion version of Larry Coker except he didn't actually win a title. Riley at LSU isn't all that scary because odds are that one of OU and LSU is going to be a damn good at any given time anyway. They could be a lot scarier than with Riley, imo.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Best benefit of Riley going to OU is obviously the chance that OU hires a dud. I've never been as scared of Riley as lots on this board seem to be. OU has gotten steadily worse under him, just haven't cratered. He's like a much slower motion version of Larry Coker except he didn't actually win a title. Riley at LSU isn't all that scary because odds are that one of OU and LSU is going to be a damn good at any given time anyway. They could be a lot scarier than with Riley, imo.

Plus Riley hast to live with the fact that he probably can’t get past Saban. He won’t win the SEC West anytime soon…

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

I’m interested to see what happens because I think OU is going to downgrade big time if they lose Riley.