CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

11 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

@ztejas look! Also, Big middle finger to Sonny for leaving SMU for TCU… next year’s Iron Skillet game is hella personal.

A30792A2-2F8D-4244-B8E5-002232FD6999.jpeg

He seemed incapable of maintaining momentum into November. Or winning anything meaningful on the road. So whatever. 

Shitty to lose recruiting momentum and Samples and Kazadi. If anything sets us back it will be that. 

But if Lashlee can come in and win 9 or 10 games and if Stone is the real deal then fan interest and recruiting shouldn't take a huge hit. We'll be largely where we were. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Best benefit of Riley going to OU is obviously the chance that OU hires a dud. I've never been as scared of Riley as lots on this board seem to be. OU has gotten steadily worse under him, just haven't cratered. He's like a much slower motion version of Larry Coker except he didn't actually win a title. Riley at LSU isn't all that scary because odds are that one of OU and LSU is going to be a damn good at any given time anyway. They could be a lot scarier than with Riley, imo.

Agree with this, he benefited big by Texas sucking shit too. Wouldn't be surprised if Bob came back for a few seasons. I also don't think Riley will leave, if he knows what's good for him, cause nothing good ever last down on the swamp.  

I don’t think Heupel and OU exactly ended with a great relationship if I remember correctly. 
OU apparently really liked Shane Beamer before he left for South Carolina. That would be such a meh hire so hoping it’s him if Riley leaves. 

OU fans couldn’t get Heupel out of Norman fast enough when he was OC. They fucking hated him IIRC.

6 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I bet it’s going to be a colossal mistake on both TCU and Dykes’ part.

Yep. Would not touch that with a 10 foot iron skillet! Legacy of SMU coaches at subsequent head coaching gigs:

Forrest Gregg: Shreveport Pirates (CFL): 13-19

Dave Bliss: Baylor: 61-57-1*, 19-45-1* Conference, *1 = 1 murder cover up (later vacated by NCAA) 

June Jones: Hamilton Tiger Cats (CFL): 14-14-1*, 1* = 1 cluster f@#$ for trying to hire friend Art Briles 

Chad Morris: Arkansas: 4-18-0*, 0* = only Arkansas coach to never record a conference win

If Campbell is headed to USC there’s really only 1 more name linked to LSU that hasn’t signed an extension or ended up at a different job. 

Fickell and based on everything I’ve read LSU doesn’t seem to have much interest in him. 

It may not happen but LSU thinks they’re getting Riley based on their actions. 

Edited by texasstrong12

56 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

You speak nothing but the truth. A few friends of mine that live out in LA, one being a UT grad, told me that most people in LA are pro fans and even then with their sports if you’re doing well they might go see you, but if you suck they don’t know you exist. Therefore, you don’t have a lot of people in that part of the country that plan their Saturdays around college sports.

I’ve seen some laker and dodger gear floating around.  1 guy with a clippers shirt and a couple of angels hats.  So it’s really dodgers and lakers and as someone said up top the lakers games are more about being seen vs actually watching the game

1 minute ago, Sir Ulrich said:

If Campbell does go to SC and OU loses Riley to the armpit somehow, then the Big 12 should be as winnable as ever next season. Sark better get this roster turned over because he's running out of excuses at that point 

You’re forgetting about Kansas on the road.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

They’ve had two coaches in the past 20 years. Do we say this a lot?

“For one reason or another”, QB changes, DC changes, OC changes, learn to read, etc.

* Or maybe I should apologize for not expanding on my original thought for those unable to connect dots.

Edited by Coelenterate Fuccboi
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

“For one reason or another”, QB changes, DC changes, OC changes, learn to read, etc.

I can read. Sometimes we’re right. Rattler

was worse than Kyler. Their Oline and defense took steps back this year. I just think hiring a new head coach is a risk they haven’t even had to to take. They aren’t immune to messing it up. 

3 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

The MVP of the 2020 Big 12 Championship Game and Cotton Bowl winner is your significant step back? We can only dream of taking such significant steps back. Thanks for helping me making my point.

I am ready for them to go John Blake level bad. The law of averages is well overdue.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Who was the last big name coach, since Carroll, that USC hired in the Big 3 sports? 

USC made the Elite 8 last year but Enfield has been mediocre there and was far from a splash hire. Their recent baseball hire was terrible. 

USC isn’t attracting big hires anymore. 

Carroll wasn’t a big name hire at the time and was down the list of fan and admin options. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2000-dec-04-sp-61004-story.html%3F_amp%3Dtrue

Here is the thing: “big name hires” are rarer than hens teeth. “Big name” being an NC winner or multiple conference title winner at a P5 school jumping straight to a new school with no detours. Name the last five times that has happened. I’ll start:

Fisher to A&M

6 hours ago, Sir Ulrich said:

If Campbell does go to SC and OU loses Riley to the armpit somehow, then the Big 12 should be as winnable as ever next season. Sark better get this roster turned over because he's running out of excuses at that point 

I don’t really see him offering that many excuses. He takes responsibility for the choices he’s made. Players being shitty and not giving a fuck isn’t exactly his fault and we will see how it is addressed very shortly. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ztejas said:

He seemed incapable of maintaining momentum into November. Or winning anything meaningful on the road. So whatever. 

Shitty to lose recruiting momentum and Samples and Kazadi. If anything sets us back it will be that. 

But if Lashlee can come in and win 9 or 10 games and if Stone is the real deal then fan interest and recruiting shouldn't take a huge hit. We'll be largely where we were. 

They should be okay with Lashlee. Also, thank god Tanner Mordecai is coming back for one more year. 

10 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I’ve seen some laker and dodger gear floating around.  1 guy with a clippers shirt and a couple of angels hats.  So it’s really dodgers and lakers and as someone said up top the lakers games are more about being seen vs actually watching the game

True about all that Lakers rubbish. Then the hockey scene you'll see a shit ton of LA Kings and Anaheim Ducks gear around town. 

37 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

I don’t really see him offering that many excuses. He takes responsibility for the choices he’s made. Players being shitty and not giving a fuck isn’t exactly his fault and we will see how it is addressed very shortly. 

How in the fuck do you people keep posting this unbelievably horrible take? It is the very definition of his fault. Motivating players, getting them to give a fuck, developing their skills and not be shitty is literally most of a coach's responsibility. And he's been terrible at it.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

How in the fuck do you people keep posting this unbelievably horrible take? It is the very definition of his fault. Motivating players, getting them to give a fuck, developing their skills and not be shitty is literally most of a coach's responsibility. And he's been terrible at it.

Just out of curiosity, how much experience do you have I’m taking over a failed organization and turning it around? I don’t know if Sark will succeed or not but I’ve been around plenty of people who could not be motivated under new leadership, were subsequently shown the door, and replaced with high performing team members. Time will reveal the truth and I don’t have a firm opinion of what that is at the moment.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Because he didn’t ask for those players and those players most certainly did not ask for him or his staff. You can’t live in this world Of modern day recruiting and think every kid doesn’t care who his coach or multiple coaches over a career are. They committed for different reasons years ago. It’s the same fucking reason people leave jobs when the boss changes. It doesn’t always work out and I’d imagine most of the players on this roster that have been here a while are burnt the fuck out on change. It’s absolutely amazing to me that people don’t understand this. But maybe you’ve worked the same job your whole career.

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Rumor Bob Stoops returning to blOU...

20 minutes ago, tx ind said:

image.gif.a29613ff089cde51436f8467965138e7.gif

Already recruiting against Texas ??

Texas quick hits: Former Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops gives harsh critique of Steve Sarkisian

Stoops, however, does not believe the first-year Texas head coach should be fired.  

By Chuck Carlton

6:42 PM on Nov 26, 2021

Fox Sports’ Big Noon Kickoff panel took a critical look at Steve Sarkisian’s first year at Texas before Friday’s 22-17 win over Kansas State.  Former Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops offered an especially harsh assessment, when reminded of Sarkisian’s “all gas, no brakes” motto.

“You don’t need brakes when you run out of gas,” Stoops said to laughter from the panel. “I’m going to preface my comments with by no means do I believe Steve Sarkisian should be fired whatsoever. But the previous four years they won seven games, eight games, 10 games and seven games. And they won every single bowl game four years in a row. Now they come in and they’re 4-7?

“This is a complete disaster. The administration, the coaches, the players, they’ve got to all own up to it. That’s their responsibility.”

After the Texas victory, Stoops offered a postscript. “I’m glad to see them win. I know you guys don’t believe me,” Stoops said, praising the second-half effort. “All that being said, they’re still 5-7. They still had a six-game losing streak. So it didn’t go away beating a seven-win K-State team.”

21 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

While I agree a head coach has to motivate, it's also important to do the following with the roster... 

2 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Just out of curiosity, how much experience do you have I’m taking over a failed organization and turning it around? I don’t know if Sark will succeed or not but I’ve been around plenty of people who could not be motivated under new leadership, were subsequently shown the door, and replaced with high performing team members. Time will reveal the truth and I don’t have a firm opinion of what that is at the moment.

I actually do have some pretty extensive experience at exactly what you're describing and you are correct...it can certainly be a bitch to change the culture of an organization as most people resist change. That said, I do not think it's acceptable to fail at it this horribly. Some short-term bumps in the road are expected, but this feels way worse than that.