CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

25 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Just out of curiosity, how much experience do you have I’m taking over a failed organization and turning it around? I don’t know if Sark will succeed or not but I’ve been around plenty of people who could not be motivated under new leadership, were subsequently shown the door, and replaced with high performing team members. Time will reveal the truth and I don’t have a firm opinion of what that is at the moment.

Yea but they weren’t “shown the door” they kept playing them week after week.  If these guys don’t give a fuck like all of you guys have been saying why keep starting them week after week and not playing the backups? And don’t say “well we would have lost”, because we lost 6 straight games so nothing would have changed by playing backups that care. Hell we won yesterday.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Yea but they weren’t “shown the door” they kept playing them week after week.  If these guys don’t give a fuck like all of you guys have been saying why keep starting them week after week and not playing the backups? And don’t say “well we would have lost”, because we lost 6 straight games so nothing would have changed by playing backups that care. Hell we won yesterday.

I’m sure there are some locker room dynamics going on here, and of course we don’t know the details. I’ve struggled to understand some of the personnel decisions all year and my only conclusion has been the coaches were just trying to keep the wheels from completely falling off in regards to the upperclassmen supporting one another. Who knows…

3 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

THAT'S the line in the sand?!?

How the hell can you expect players to buy in when the boosters won't? 

I've never heard/read exactly what it was, but something happened when he was an assistant at Kansas State that doomed him to ever being considered for anything else there.  

10 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

You still have to have a functioning unit. And for part of the season this players were functioning, needed for depth…. But it was clear as the losses mounted they were guys that just didn’t care. No one thought that game 1, or 2, or 3 or 4…. It’s clear to see now. 

Well when new management comes in if people don’t buy in or give a fuck they are shown the door quick. They don’t keep them around or letting them lead departments. This staff left guys in starting positions that clearly didn’t give a fuck. Or maybe the coaches didn’t see it the way all of surly saw it, maybe they didn’t think these guys should be benched and if that’s the case because it’s one or the other then I don’t get how that’s not huge red flags to our fan base. I guess next season we will see, but we all know the same posters saying it’s the players will have the same excuse next year.

1 minute ago, taybo20 said:

You still have to have a functioning unit. And for part of the season this players were functioning, needed for depth…. But it was clear as the losses mounted they were guys that just didn’t care. No one thought that game 1, or 2, or 3 or 4…. It’s clear to see now. 

I didn’t say kick them off the team but you didn’t have to keep starting them. And not starting them wouldn’t have made us lose more than 6 straight games.

Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

Well when new management comes in if people don’t buy in or give a fuck they are shown the door quick. They don’t keep them around or letting them lead departments. This staff left guys in starting positions that clearly didn’t give a fuck. Or maybe the coaches didn’t see it the way all of surly saw it, maybe they didn’t think these guys should be benched and if that’s the case because it’s one or the other then I don’t get how that’s not huge red flags to our fan base. I guess next season we will see, but we all know the same posters saying it’s the players will have the same excuse next year.

It’s all recency bias right now and furthermore lack of actual information. But even the best companies start a transition. They don’t just cut their nose off despite their face. They make it clear new people will be brought in and usher old people not willing to change out. It’s not an overnight thing and again you have to continue to function even in life support. This will all be much clearer next year. But there is no immediate gratification. 

• Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

“For one reason or another”, QB changes, DC changes, OC changes, learn to read, etc.

* Or maybe I should apologize for not expanding on my original thought for those unable to connect dots.

i learned my lesson after Paul fucking Thompson won a Big 12 title as OU QB.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I didn’t say kick them off the team but you didn’t have to keep starting them. And not starting them wouldn’t have made us lose more than 6 straight games.

You said show them the door? Idk what you mean lol. I don’t know the whys of the starting. It hardly mattered in some games where they’d be subbed out. As far as Foster goes, I have no clue except that I’m sure it was a management situation. Idk, but he’s gonna be gone now

3 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

You said show them the door? Idk what you mean lol. I don’t know the whys of the starting. It hardly mattered in some games where they’d be subbed out. As far as Foster goes, I have no clue except that I’m sure it was a management situation. Idk, but he’s gonna be gone now

I was responding to what anothe rooster wrote. He said show them the door and I said that didn’t happen even in the slightest. Blows my mind how many gloss over sark horrific coaching and PK being terrible. Next year it will be the same especially with the second half adjustments and most on here will say “he got a raw deal with the players not caring last year and now he had to purge to roster and it’s not fair”.

5 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I’m sure there are some locker room dynamics going on here, and of course we don’t know the details. I’ve struggled to understand some of the personnel decisions all year and my only conclusion has been the coaches were just trying to keep the wheels from completely falling off in regards to the upperclassmen supporting one another. Who knows…

Well, if that was the goal, then Sark failed miserably. If this season wasn't the definition of the wheels completely falling off, I don't know what is.

I'm 100% sure there are a ton of "dynamics" going on here that we'll never know the details on. But all that really matters are the results. And the results are shit so far.

And to take it one step further, I might be able to accept these shit results if the guy in charge had some kind of track record of successfully turning things around. But we don't even have that. There is literally nothing that makes me optimistic about this coach. Not one thing. And to just blindly give him a pass and assume, it must just be that players don't care and there's nothing he can do about that, is turning a horribly blind eye. I guess some glass half full fans will always do that, but I can't. Not based on what we've seen so far.

Anyway, there are other threads to discuss this, so I don't want to derail. Let's get back to Urban Meyer to OU with Deion as his OC and Stoops as his DC talk. That'll make us all feel better.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

I was responding to what anothe rooster wrote. He said show them the door and I said that didn’t happen even in the slightest. Blows my mind how many gloss over sark horrific coaching and PK being terrible. Next year it will be the same especially with the second half adjustments and most on here will say “he got a raw deal with the players not caring last year and now he had to purge to roster and it’s not fair”.

You haven’t read any of my posts on the defense, but there is a lot of shit in this board so I don’t really expect that. Run fits and scheme were not well executed or chosen in many games, Arkansas is where it started for me. But tackling was also shit and so were players fighting off blocks. Some of that is coaching and some of that is player. If it’s the same next year you can gloat, tho idk if anyone will actually care being that everyone will be complaining lol. No one is coming to Texas to be an overnight success. 

7 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

The MVP of the 2020 Big 12 Championship Game and Cotton Bowl winner is your significant step back? We can only dream of taking such significant steps back. Thanks for helping me making my point.

“We” doesn’t enter into it. Hiring head coaches is tricky. They haven’t had to do it. That was my point. 

With Vendables, I always thought it was because he made so much as an assistant that taking a HC at a lot of places would be a pay cut.  His kid also plays at Clemson at this point, I believe.

Back on Riley, if he goes to LSU, none of that staff is going with him so he'd have to hire an entire staff from scratch unless he just keeps a lot of them.

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

...I might be able to accept these shit results if the guy in charge had some kind of track record of successfully turning things around. But we don't even have that. There is literally nothing that makes me optimistic about this coach. Not one thing.

Sark took an 0-12, 2008 U-Dub team to 5-7 in 2009. That's the extent of his dynamic turnarounds. Nothing about his HC track record says he's got the chops for UT.

4 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Carroll wasn’t a big name hire at the time and was down the list of fan and admin options. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2000-dec-04-sp-61004-story.html%3F_amp%3Dtrue

Here is the thing: “big name hires” are rarer than hens teeth. “Big name” being an NC winner or multiple conference title winner at a P5 school jumping straight to a new school with no detours. Name the last five times that has happened. I’ll start:

Fisher to A&M

I think "big name hire" refers more to nabbing the top of the list corch de jour whether it's a G5 bad ass or the flavor of the year coordinator.

Herman for what it's worth was a "big name hire" since every school wanted him the year Texas signed him.  Kirby Smart at Georgia was a "big name hire".  Franklin to Penn State, etc. etc. etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Butler said:

“We” doesn’t enter into it. Hiring head coaches is tricky. They haven’t had to do it. That was my point. 

Yep. OU has hired 5 coaches since Switzer and the first three of those were miserable failures and resulted in a decade of losing (sound familiar?). They were stuck in carousel purgatory until they hit on a coordinator with no head coaching experience but a penis tooth like no other. Should Riley leave, and especially in this year's market, it's no guarantee they'll hit on a winner. As we know all too well, miss on that first guy and you're chasing the dragon thereafter for an indeterminate amount of time.

Drinking and boinking the wives/daughters of boosters.

And coeds. Possibly even the trifecta of twirler, cheerleader, pom squad girl. Being a head coach makes being discreet even more difficult. Cuts into the conquest and boinking session numbers

And he may have the Bud Foster mind set of having a great coordinator’s job and realizing that its fine to be happy doing that

Side note: He and Kirby Hocutt are close friends and were roommates at Kansas State

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

Sark took an 0-12, 2008 U-Dub team to 5-7 in 2009. That's the extent of his dynamic turnarounds. Nothing about his HC track record says he's got the chops for UT.

but wait, you are forgetting that then he got them to 7-6 for 3 straight years.  Bowl games just around the corner for us.

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

So is Urban officially off the table right now? Surprised he hasn’t been rumored for more with all these high profile dominos falling. Plus the fact that his whole Jacksonville first year thing has been a pretty failed experiment.

He hasn’t faked medical problems yet so you know he isnt going anywhere

• Haha 2

On 11/26/2021 at 2:42 PM, Zhorn96 said:

Be shocked if Washington hires Wilcox.  Trade a defensive coach who can recruit for a defensive coach who can’t recruit is not going to make the Husky faithful very erect 

???

Who is this "defensive coach who can recruit" you're referring to?  Because Jimmy Lake has completely bombed at recruiting.

• Like 1

LSU tomorrow: "After an exhaustive search during which all our candidates were taken off the board, and after long and sober reassessment, during which our two remaining long shot candidates choked, the Board of Regents of Louisiana State University have decided to stay the course and retain Coach Ed Orgeron. Laissez les bon temps roulez."

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Haha 4

I can't help but feel there's a chance that the next guy OU hires fucks everything up. Lincoln has slowly gone in the wrong direction - their best year under him was 2017 (was that his first fucking year?). 

Not that it matters unless we get our shit together. 

https://www.si.com/college/2021/11/28/lincoln-riley-lsu-rumors-oklahoma-bedlam

It still could happen but Ross is pretty plugged in. ( not that this article tied him down to anything) was kinda okay with Riley going because, maybe, just maybe, OU will suck at football and would be nice to see Aggy never beat LSU.

But also glad people have CUM situations like us. By god we will hope it’s happening until the ink is dry on someone else.

On a side note, I can’t believe everyone is staying at the current jobs and the Blue bloods that are open can’t money whip.