CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

2 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I think the landscape has changed since then. The rotations are happening sooner and unless you’re in the CFP, bowls don’t mean shit anymore.

It's changed, we'll see how much in the long run. Oklahoma hired Grinch in January, too. 3 years ago and it's changed a bit since then, but successful coordinators don't usually jump this early.

2 hours ago, Chopper said:

If Riley doesn't like boosters with deep pockets, big egos and who expect to get their way, USC doesn't strike me as a very safe space. In fact, not a safe space at all. @Sbbruincan probably tell some good stories about that.

They have something like 39 members on their Board of Trustees, positions that are bought.  And those people, with Rick Caruso as chair, think they are all powerful.  And they are.  Money drives EVERYTHING there.  He’s gonna be in for a rude awakening.

• Hook 'Em 1

aggy fans would be more upset over losing Elko right now than Jimbo. Dream coaching scenario for Texas fans this cycle would be: 

1) OU fucking up this coaching cycle.

2) Elko leaving aggy. 

3) LSU going all in on Riley and ending up with a tier 3 hire. 

No clue what happens  but seems like all 3 of these things are at least in play. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

aggy fans would be more upset over losing Elko right now than Jimbo. Dream coaching scenario for Texas fans this cycle would be: 

1) OU fucking up this coaching cycle.

2) Elko leaving aggy. 

3) LSU going all in on Riley and ending up with a tier 3 hire. 

No clue what happens  but seems like all 3 of these things are at least in play. 

We survived the loss of Elko, with a little drama.

This is really unprecedented.  No one that I can think of leaves a program like OU for another blue blood.

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Are there reports of Rhule wanting to come back to college that I'm missing? He's a decent QB away from being in the playoffs right now. He isn't some failed NFL HC.

Probably typical college fandom folklore like the long list of NFL coaches who pop up every year during coaching searches.

1 hour ago, notre dame joe said:

We survived the loss of Elko, with a little drama.

This is really unprecedented.  No one that I can think of leaves a program like OU for another blue blood.

It might be, the 2 examples people come up with are fisher leaving fsu for aggy but neither are blue blood programs.  

the other is when French army left Tuscaloosa for… college station, again.   That’s just quitting to get ahead of being fired at a high expectation job and extending a pay streak.  

It might be, the 2 examples people come up with are fisher leaving fsu for aggy but neither are blue blood programs.  

the other is when French army left Tuscaloosa for… college station, again.   That’s just quitting to get ahead of being fired at a high expectation job and extending a pay streak.  

There’s really only 8 schools in play here, so it should be well known if any of them ever lost a coach to one of the other 7. I think I saw the word “unprecedented” ^^. I think that’s accurate.

Man, the fact that Riley ditched OU for USC is funny as hell.  I hope we go into the Cotton Bowl next year and beat the ever living shit out of the sooners.  I’m guessing Caleb will follow Lincoln to USC and we can tee off on Rattler the whole game without him getting benched.  Fuck OU, I wish them nothing but 20+ years of bad coaching hires and annual ass fuckings from Texas.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

OU maintaining such great relations with Bob Stoops could be their saving grace. This market is screwed up. If I’m OU, I am begging Bob to do a year. Have him tell recruits he’s keeping things running and taking an active role to make sure the right guy comes in next year. OU is gonna take some hits but you can’t afford to hire the wrong guy. 

42 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I wonder what made Riley want to bounce? Reading between the lines he was also engaging LSU/Florida too. This dude wanted out of OU for whatever reason.

Had Riley wanted, he could have coached in the SEC (OU, LSU, or Florida). Yet out of the 3 biggest gigs available, he chose the one in talent rich CA. It's a smooth transition for a guy that has already proven he can recruit the best out of CA and nationally. 

OU was in a conference with 1 other heavyweight, but heading to a conference with 6 or 7. Now with the move to USC, he is back to dealing with 1 chief competitor for talent and league supremacy (oregon/Nike), and probably received a massive raise in the process. Even if cfb playoff expansion occurs in a couple of years to 8 or even 16 teams, USC should always have a clearer path to the playoffs.

And in the case of a massive restructuring of college athletics where the top schools break away from the Ncaa in the future, Riley knows jobs will always be available in whatever league results as long as he keeps winning. Plus USC would likely be a part of that process anyway. You can argue whether USC made the right move or not, but from Riley's perspective it's a no-f'n-brainer to me. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Gabe Ikard was saying yesterday that the OU higher ups had no idea this was happening and he was kind of implying that OU wasn't willing to give Riley more $. 

I'm really starting to wonder if OU has the poors. Relatively speaking, they have been going cheap on recent hires and seem unwilling to get rid of their baseball coach because of the buyout. 

Edited by texasstrong12

I guess you could argue aggy money whipped Jimbo but FSU had already had enough of his shit. I think Jimbo was done at FSU in the next year or 2 regardless. 

This is a really bad look for OU if they were unwilling to spend money on a top 5ish coach and let a school like USC outbid them. They should be roasted for that if they end up with a dud as a replacement. 

10 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Rumor (I think) is he prefers the college game. I could be wrong.

It's the opposite. He's prefers the NFL, but he's currently sporting a .370 winning percentage in the NFL. Luckily for him, he has a massive contract and an owner who seems wiling to give him some time, but if he fails this, he'll be looking at college jobs in a few years 

16 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Matt Rhules last 5 years as a head coach. 

1-11, 7-6, 11-3, 5-11, and 5-7. 

What he did to rebuild Baylor in 3 years was impressive but I think he's drastically overrated and I said this after he left Baylor. 

You gonna discount his time at Temple? 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Underdog said:

You gonna discount his time at Temple? 

Decent resume with no ranked finishes. Yes, I know it's Temple. 

1 ranked finish in 7 years as a head coach in college, 47-43 in college, and 2 sub-par seasons in the NFL. He's drastically overrated if you ask me. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1. You can't look at it in a vacuum, but had we kept Herman for one more year, we'd have gotten someone worse than Sark probably, or just another unproven G5 flavor of the month like Traylor.  We'd have been competing with LSU, USC, Florida and then OU.  

2. Tom Herman to LSU would be mother fucking hilarious.  Texas and A&M couldn't script a better offseason - Riley goes west and LSU hires the biggest asshole who failed at Texas. 

Edited by Js1