CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

Is theee any more noise around Day to NFL?  Hopefully we are done losing recruits there and they finally duck up a hire   They are way overdue for some desert wandering  

just saw a billboard on S Congress  “what’s the point of 300 days of sunshine a year if you’re inside working all day?  OHIO”.  

that’s the pitch for that place?!  Don’t live somewhere nice and have a job, move to our shithole state with shitty weather because it’s cheap and you can burn couches instead of working!”

On 12/19/2021 at 8:26 AM, Dontshootrude said:

Based on the results the last three years at GT I'd say no.

DEC 17, 2021          JOHN BRICE

BREAKING: Georgia Tech, Geoff Collins poised to add fast-rising running backs coach

Collins' impressive overhaul continues, after adding Chip Long and now Mike Daniels

Talk about a rocket taking flight.

Mike Daniels, who this time a year ago was the head coach at Cincinnati-area prep program Princeton, has climbed all the way to Power 5 assistant coach in less than a year.

Multiple sources tell FootballScoop that Daniels, a former University of Cincinnati player with coaching experience at the prep and collegiate ranks, will be the new running backs coach for Geoff Collins’ Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets’ coaching staff.

The addition of Daniels is another well-regarded move for Collins, who earlier this cycle snared former Broyles Award finalist Chip Long to run the Georgia Tech offense.

Daniels spent the 2021 season as the running backs coach on Maurice Linguist’s first Buffalo Bulls’ coaching staff. And Daniels’ impact was felt immediately for the Buffalo program.

Buffalo running back Kevin Marks Jr. has been tabbed to play in the college all-star game, the Hula Bowl, after being a key cog in a Bulls’ ground attack that amassed more than 2,300 rushing yards and 30 touchdowns on the ground.

The Bulls also got a breakout-campaign from Dylan McDuffie, who topped 1,000 rushing yards and finished with 11 touchdowns.

Daniels, a member of FootballScoop’s 2020-21 Minority Watch List, has past experience at Kennesaw State, a previous stint at Buffalo, as well as his alma mater, and among some of Georgia’s top prep programs.

The move for Collins to hire Daniels comes after Daniels a year ago was a finalist to join Luke Fickell’s Cincinnati staff, mulled other college and prep offers, and then joined the staff of the fast-rising Linguist, a first-time head coach who played at Baylor and garnered assistant coaching experience in the Big Ten, Big 12, Southeastern Conference and NFL.

Something about "ties"

As Dan Lanning looks to continue to build his staff, sources tell FootballScoop that a member of Scott Frost's staff at Nebraska is being targeted.

13 HOURS AGO        DOUG SAMUELS

Sources: Dan Lanning, Oregon targeting member of Scott Frost's staff

Dan Lanning has made some impressive hires early on as he puts together his Oregon staff.

That trends looks to be continuing as sources tell FootballScoop that Lanning is seeking to hire Nebraska defensive line coach Tony Tuioti. Sources tell FootballScoop a deal is not in place but could be soon enough. 

Tuioti has spent the last three seasons on the Huskers staff and comes with over a decade of experience at the college level and two seasons coaching in the NFL. 

Before joining Frost's staff, Tuioti coached the defensive line for Justin Wilcox at Cal for two seasons, where they ranked in the top 10 nationally in a number of categories in his last season.

Well regarded for his recruiting acumen, Tuioti spent a season at Michigan as the director of player personnel in 2016 and served in the same capacity at Hawaii in 2008-09 and has also coached linebackers previously.

Tuioti played defensive line at Hawaii. 

Missed this...   Monday, Dec 06, 2021 

Gophers re-hire Kirk Ciarrocca as offensive coordinator, QB coach

MINNEAPOLIS — Minnesota re-hired Kirk Ciarrocca as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach on Monday, after sagging production during the two seasons he was elsewhere.

Coach P.J. Fleck's reunion with Ciarrocca was initiated after Mike Sanford was dismissed following the expiration of his contract. Sanford held the dual role for the Gophers the last two years.

Ciarrocca was Fleck's offensive coordinator at Western Michigan from 2013-16 and at Minnesota from 2017-19 until taking the same position at Penn State in 2020. He was fired after one season there and spent 2021 with West Virginia in a non-coaching role as an offensive analyst.

Coincidentally, Minnesota and West Virginia are matched up in the Guaranteed Rate Bowl in Phoenix on Dec. 28. Ciarrocca agreed to take the job before the bowl pairings were revealed on Sunday.

The Gophers announced that Ciarrocca will not coach in the bowl game, after conversation between Fleck and West Virginia coach Neal Brown. Wide receivers coach and co-offensive coordinator Matt Simon will be the play-caller for Minnesota in the bowl game.

In 2019, with future NFL wide receivers Rashod Bateman and Tyler Johnson in the lineup, the Gophers were second in the Big Ten in scoring and third in yardage. Ciarrocca was named one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award, presented annually to the top assistant coach in college football. Quarterback Tanner Morgan set several single-season program records including passing yards (3,253), touchdown passes (30) and completion percentage (66.0).

In 2021, the Gophers dropped to eighth in the Big Ten in scoring and ninth in yardage. Morgan's production was well off his 2019 pace, with 1,935 passing yards, 10 touchdown passes and a 59.5 completion percentage. Morgan has decided to return for a sixth season in 2022.

Gus getting gang back together...

DEC 27, 2021.       DOUG SAMUELS

Chip Lindsey reunites with Gus Malzahn at UCF

Chip Lindsey spent the last three seasons as the head coach at Troy, and has now reunited with Gus Malzahn's as his new offensive coordinator at UCF.

Lindsey will have the titles of offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach on Gus' staff.

Back a few weeks ago, Chip was set to join the FAU staff as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, but the opportunity to reunite with Malzahn proved too good an opportunity to pass up.

Chip and Gus previously worked together on Malzahn's initial Auburn staff and were together for the program's appearance in the 2013 national title game as well as the 2017 SEC West title. 

Lindsey started off an an offensive analyst for Malzahn before getting coordinator opportunities at Southern Miss, Arizona State, and then back at Auburn for that SEC West crown in 2017.

Chip went 15-19 leading the Troy program before being let go with a game remaining this past fall.

DEC 29, 2021       ZACH BARNETT

Lane Kiffin reportedly set to hire Charlie Weis, Jr., as offensive coordinator

This will be the third time the 28-year-old Weis has worked under Lane Kiffin.

Charlie Weis, Jr., will be the offensive coordinator at Ole Miss, Matt Zenitz of On3 reported Wednesday.

Weis replaces Jeff Lebby, who took the same job at Oklahoma, his alma mater, earlier this month.

Obviously the son of Super Bowl-winning offensive coordinator Charlie Weis, Sr., the 28-year-old is now on his third offensive coordinator job.

He began coaching immediately after high school on his father's staffs at Florida and Kansas, then landed a job as an analyst at Alabama in 2015, while Lane Kiffin was leading the Crimson Tide's offensive revolution. After Kiffin landed the Florida Atlantic job, Weis spent 2017 as an analyst for the Atlanta Falcons, then joined his former boss in Boca Raton as the offensive coordinator in 2018. 

The Owls averaged 31.1 points in Weis' first season on staff, then 36.4 in his second.

When Kiffin landed the Ole Miss job after 2019, Weis joined Jeff Scott's South Florida staff in 2020. The Bulls ranked 100th and 101st nationally in scoring offense over the past two seasons.

And now Weis is set to work for Kiffin a third time. The son of a famous football coach himself, Kiffin has shown he's comfortable hiring sons of other famous football coaches -- the son (Kendal Briles) and son-in-law (Lebby) of Art Briles, and now, for a third time, the son of Charlie Weis.

34 minutes ago, Llogg said:

DL coach and run game coordinator? I don't think I've heard of defensive coaching staffs being broken up into run and pass game coordinators before. Is that a thing?

In big organizations, titles can be tied to benefits. Having "coordinator" in his title, may qualify Cain for a pay level in the LSU system that "coach" wouldn't.

16 hours ago, quigley said:

USC's lost two coaches already. Choice to UT and Cain now to LSU. Cain didn't want to leave OU but was replaced by Venables.

Cain was probably the most productive coach on the OU defense (recruiting and on the field product).

Who is OU's new DL coach?

3 hours ago, Strat said:

What are thoughts on this guy @notre dame joe?

He's been with Kelly a long time. Two good offenses at ND in four years as OC  at ND per FEI, 2015 and 2017.

After a good offensive year, he takes a lateral move to Cincy??? Meh offenses at Cincy over the last four years.

3 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I think Todd Graham was fired at Hawaii 

Haven't seen anything about it. He definitely should be fired, but can Hawaii afford it? It's only about a $1.3M buyout but they've never bought out anyone for more than 600k before according to a story I read a while back (https://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/article/hawaii-football-troubles-under-coach-todd-graham-16670501.php).

He's such a raging asshole, but the bigger issue was that everyone's known this for a long time. Hawaii's decision to hire him was awful. The AD should have to forfeit half of his pay for a decade to pay the buyout.

Several Hawaii players said they believe Graham’s approach has consistently crossed the line in terms of decency and respect. One player told SFGATE, “I would go as far to say it’s verbal abuse the way he talks to guys. … It’s personal. It’s not like, ‘Oh, you need to be faster.’ He’s calling guys useless, jackass and a sack of s—t.”

Another player reiterated to SFGATE that Graham insults his players constantly, reportedly calling players “dogs—t,” among other demeaning terms. Multiple players also said Graham constantly threatens to take away playing time from anyone who questions him. One player recalled Graham telling a teammate to “stop talking back or I’m going to take away your senior year.”

from the article above

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Haven't seen anything about it. He definitely should be fired, but can Hawaii afford it? It's only about a $1.3M buyout but they've never bought out anyone for more than 600k before according to a story I read a while back (https://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/article/hawaii-football-troubles-under-coach-todd-graham-16670501.php).

He's such a raging asshole, but the bigger issue was that everyone's known this for a long time. Hawaii's decision to hire him was awful. The AD should have to forfeit half of his pay for a decade to pay the buyout.

I can't say too much without giving it away as to who would say it but, someone on his staff said all he talks about is how this is his retirement $$. All it is about is the $$.

He is one of the biggest assholes in all of college football. I think he'd probably get a large portion of the votes for the biggest asshole.

42 minutes ago, quigley said:

What are thoughts on this guy @notre dame joe?

He's been with Kelly a long time. Two good offenses at ND in four years as OC  at ND per FEI, 2015 and 2017.

After a good offensive year, he takes a lateral move to Cincy??? Meh offenses at Cincy over the last four years.

The rap was Denbrock was a yes-man while Kelly was the real OC.  Although the offense wasn't the problem in our 4-8 year in 2016; AD Savvy Jack forced BK to hire two real coordinators outside of his inner circle.

Kellys rigidly scripted offense will live and die on the connection between QB and X-WR.  It all depends on whom he can recruit to LSU.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, notre dame joe said:

The rap was Denbrock was a yes-man while Kelly was the real OC.  Although the offense wasn't the problem in our 4-8 year in 2016; AD Savvy Jack forced BK to hire two real coordinators outside of his inner circle.

Kellys rigidly scripted offense will live and die on the connection between QB and X-WR.  It all depends on whom he can recruit to LSU.

So the authoritarian vibe Kelly exudes may have some real effect. I don't remember those offenses being very explosive, but they were pretty efficient. Good to learn Kelly's populating his staff with yes-men (Denbrock) and low performers (Cooks). Cain seems like the one good hire. Hopefully, the new DC from the NFL will try to install overly complex schemes.

Do you have any insight into the S&C guy he brought down? As an OU fan, I think I'm going to be watching a lot of SC. Are you going to be watching more LSU?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, quigley said:

So the authoritarian vibe Kelly exudes may have some real effect. I don't remember those offenses being very explosive, but they were pretty efficient. Good to learn Kelly's populating his staff with yes-men (Denbrock) and low performers (Cooks). Cain seems like the one good hire. Hopefully, the new DC from the NFL will try to install overly complex schemes.

Do you have any insight into the S&C guy he brought down? As an OU fan, I think I'm going to be watching a lot of SC. Are you going to be watching more LSU?

Kelly runs a fairly standard shotgun pass fist spread, by now it may be old hat.  If the qb makes the perfect read and throws it to the perfect matchup, and there are no other failures to execute, then it's good for 30 points.  

I wouldn't worry much about the staff since Kelly will micro-manage.  Polian is nominally a special teams coach but actually the ace recruiter. Cooks was very conservative.  The S&C man was an assistant, we retained the guy who strongyl upgraded our program in 2018.

I assume Disney will make me watcha share of the SEC.  Right now I am worried about Lincoln Riley with SC's skill position talent. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/1/2022 at 2:08 PM, ClubWhatever said:

from the article above

I’m not one that goes against player’s rights nor do I generally criticized this generation as overly woke, BUT cry me a fucking river that is some of the weakest complaints I’ve ever seen calling a coach “abusive”.  If I was working as an editor and that shit came across my desk I’d tell the writer to drop that and just focus on the fact that he’s a shitty coach.  I don’t give two shits about Graham or the Rainbow Warriors but someone is trying real hard to find dirt here and it looks pathetic.