CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

Always wished Texas would have kept Hutzler...

Alabama Set To Add Coleman Hutzler to Coaching Staff

Tony Tsoukalas  20 mins ago

It appears the Crimson Tide could have another coaching overhaul this offseason.

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama is not done making moves with its coaching staff. Minutes after reports surfaced that Travaris Robinson was set to become Alabama’s next cornerbacks coach, it appears as though the Crimson Tide is also hiring Ole Miss special teams coordinator Coleman Hutzler on Wednesday night.

Hutzler updated his Twitter profile Wednesday, stating that he is now Alabama’s special teams coordinator and outside linebackers coach. It’s currently not clear how Hutzler’s hiring will shake up the rest of the Crimson Tide’s coaching staff. Drew Svoboda took over Alabama’s special teams/tight ends coaching role last season while Sal Sunderi currently serves as the Tide’s outside linebacking coach.

I read he and Harsins don't get along and Harsin is on the hot seat already, whereas Gundy has to be the most stable coach in the country right now. He makes $1.5 mil at Auburn, which is what I think we offered Knowles before Ohio State came up with fucking $2 mil. I doubt we could pay more than $1.5 mil. It would be a great hire if we can pull it off. He was apparently DC at Stanford when we beat them in the Fiesta Bowl 2011. 

Edited by 'stache

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

Coombes is a great position coach and recruiter.  He fell prey to the Peter Principle.  He'll do well back in Cincy.  Fick ain't goin' to Ann Arbor.  He's gonna lead Cincy into the B12.  They'll be the best team there as soon as they're in.

What kinda hits has Fick's coaching staff taken at Cincy??  

Edited by LTtxfan

New aggy OL coach:

https://texags.com/s/43052/am-to-hire-former-colorado-state-head-coach-steve-addazio-as-ol-coach

63 year old, hasn’t coached OL in more than a decade, accused of calling an African American custodian “boy” repeatedly and then lied about the incident to the University. Great hire Aggies, good job.

I like the Addazio hire. He’s a solid coach with tons of experience and has had successful offenses. Jimbo understands how to assemble a staff. He’s proven it. Same with the Durkin hire, and with Robinson and Santucci being promoted. Such a nice thing to witness competency.

This gives A&M 4 Coaches who have been National Recruiter of the Year.

Edited by Cairn Horn88

7 hours ago, nycHorn said:

Hawaii sounds like a mess.

Shouldn't it be an easy place to which to recruit?  You will be in Hawaii.

Trending now for ND DC, Al Golden.  I believe the last time he was in South Bend he was an assistant with BC in the 1999 squirrel game.  Prior to that Golden caught the game winning TD for Penn State, after being down 21-7 in the 4th, over then #1 ND in 1990.  Al has just one year coaching under Paterno as LB coach in 2000.

44 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

Shouldn't it be an easy place to which to recruit?  You will be in Hawaii.

Horrendously shitty resources and hard for parents to come watch you play. That top prospects will go to places like Tallahassee, Norman, and Baton Rouge tells you that location isn’t really a top draw.

42 minutes ago, trza-hawk said:

Timmy Chang can pick up the program from the low point it is at right now, kind of rebuild it to get it into a place where Colt Brennan can come in and finish the job and put Hawai'i in the NY6/BCS Bowl discussion again.

13 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Dude…

Colt Brennan is dead.

1 hour ago, PNWhornsfan said:

Mario Cristobal appears to be struggling to put together his coaching staff at Miami.  Outside of the 3 coaches that followed him from Oregon, he's only managed to hire a RB coach.  Still no coordinators.

Good article...

Mario Cristobal graded outside top 10 coaching changes

by Alan Rubenstein4 days ago

The hiring of Mario Cristobal as the new head coach for the Miami football program was lauded as a great hire for the Hurricanes. The methodical approach Cristobal has taken to filling out the Miami staff was given a B- by 247 Sports and was ranked 12th among coaching changes nationally for 2022.

Mario Cristobal has hired his former assistants at Oregon, defensive line coach Joe Salave’a, offensive line coach Alex Mirabal and co-offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach Bryan McClendon. Kevin Smith was hired away from Mississippi as the running backs coach. Cristobal was criticized for many positions still being open.

The approach Cristobal took with hiring mostly former Oregon assistants was also questioned. Miami has been able to recruit well despite the staff being about half full. Miami has also lost defensive backs coach Travaris Robinson to Alabama this month. Two potential offensive coordinators reportedly turned down Miami.

Toledo head coach Jason Candle and Arkansas offensive coordinator Kendal Briles both reportedly turned down Miami. The Miami offensive coordinator will reportedly be paid around $1.7 million. That is competitive with anyone in college football. The projection by 247 is that their B- grade will improve when the staff is completed.

12. MIAMI: B-
Mario Cristobal is back home at Miami and with boosters promising to flood the program with more money and better facilities, the Hurricanes are in as good of a position to return to prominence than it has at any point in the last 20 years.

The problem as we sit here today, however, is that Cristobal’s staff has yet to be set and those who have been brought on board are mostly his confidants at Oregon. This grade will likely change in the coming weeks but the first moves made by Cristobal haven’t made many waves in the industry.

Head coach: Mario Cristobal (Oregon, head coach)

New staff: Bryan McClendon, receivers/co-offensive coordinator (Oregon, receivers); Alex Mirabal, assistant head coach/offensive line (Oregon, offensive line); Joe Salave’a, defensive line/associate head coach (Oregon, defensive line); Kevin Smith, running backs (Ole Miss, running backs)

Miami has all three coordinator positions, potential tight ends coach, linebackers, cornerbacks and safeties or defensive backs coach open. Some criticism is that despite significantly more money to spend than in past staffs, the waiting to hire coaches could hinder Cristobal. Most of the other new staffs are complete.

Former Georgia defensive coordinator Dan Lanning who is succeeding Cristobal at Oregon was ranked as the third-best coaching change for 2022 and an A grade. Billy Napier at Florida with an A+ and former Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables at Oklahoma with an A are ranked the top two coaching changes.

Edited by LTtxfan

14 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

So the Vikings have asked for permission to talk to Jim Harbaugh.

Harbaugh and their new GM have a history together at SF. It sounds like the GM is more of an analytics guy so they may be able to convince Harbaugh to take the job by giving him control of the roster. 

Michigan OC to Miami's parting comments...

"Gattis has already texted his players and informed them that he's leaving, a source told ESPN's Tom VanHaaren. In a text to some Michigan players, Gattis said, "Unfortunately the past few weeks has told a different story to me about the very little appreciation I have here from administration. In life I would never advise anyone to be where they are not wanted..."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33230839/sources-miami-hires-josh-gattis-away-michigan-football-team-new-offensive-coordinator

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ATXbronco said:

Michigan OC to Miami's parting comments...

"Gattis has already texted his players and informed them that he's leaving, a source told ESPN's Tom VanHaaren. In a text to some Michigan players, Gattis said, "Unfortunately the past few weeks has told a different story to me about the very little appreciation I have here from administration. In life I would never advise anyone to be where they are not wanted..."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33230839/sources-miami-hires-josh-gattis-away-michigan-football-team-new-offensive-coordinator

This is some bitchass shit.  What passive aggressive little whiner.  That's the type of shit I'd expect a 43 year old divorced human resources assistant with an unstably-employed boyfriend to post on her Facebook wall after the gals don't invite her to margarita night at Sombreros.  Or a manipulative mother who got asked to shift some fucking holiday plan so that a family could visit two houses. "I guess I know where I am not wanted."

Not a division one college football coach.  Fucking ghosting players would be better than teaching them to say this shit when they depart a job on less than ideal terms.  Can we have the stoic coach who doesn't say shit back, please? 

"I have decided to accept a new job that is offering me the opportunity to further advance in my profession.  This was a difficult decision, but difficult decisions are part of professional life.  I will always be grateful for my time spent at Michigan and coaching you."

Either that or just go full on aggressive and name the asshole who pissed you off and what he did. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

This is some bitchass shit.  What passive aggressive little whiner.  That's the type of shit I'd expect a 43 year old divorced human resources assistant with an unstably-employed boyfriend to post on her Facebook wall after the gals don't invite her to margarita night at Sombreros.  Or a manipulative mother who got asked to shift some fucking holiday plan so that a family could visit two houses. "I guess I know where I am not wanted."

Not a division one college football coach.  Fucking ghosting players would be better than teaching them to say this shit when they depart a job on less than ideal terms.  Can we have the stoic coach who doesn't say shit back, please? 

"I have decided to accept a new job that is offering me the opportunity to further advance in my profession.  This was a difficult decision, but difficult decisions are part of professional life.  I will always be grateful for my time spent at Michigan and coaching you."

Either that or just go full on aggressive and name the asshole who pissed you off and what he did. 

Best guess is he thought he was getting harbaughs job and became a bitch when he came back

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

His name is Jim Harbaugh and it turned out the NFL didn’t want him so the head coaching job at Michigan wasn’t coming open after all. Now the Miami coaching job coming open in a few years seems a lot more likely. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

His name is Jim Harbaugh and it turned out the NFL didn’t want him so the head coaching job at Michigan wasn’t coming open after all. Now the Miami coaching job coming open in a few years seems a lot more likely. 

OK, so there you are.  Still bitchass to say "I'm not wanted/appreciated."  Try this:  "My goal is to become a college football head coach and I believe this move will bring me one step closer to that goal."

Bottom line, he's whiny 

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

If he’s the OC and the head corch gets runt off he’s not likely going to take over unless it’s as interim corch to finish off the 3-9 season.