CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

2 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I was told, by a pretty good source, that Petrino’s injuries from that motorcycle crash were mostly from the fiancé of the girl. The guy supposedly beat the crap out of Petrino 

8 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

I would love to believe that.  It makes me very happy

65b9d0090d34d9f59da0f4dbfa26bfc0d72bff7f

• Haha 2

If Petrino gets fired, that probably means the end of the Jeff Brohm era at Purdue. I'dike to see what he could build in W. Lafayette and he definitely makes the B1G West more interesting. But it's hard to imagine him not returning to his alma mater if they come calling. His upset of tOSU gives him a signature win on his resume so that would seem like a no brainer for the Cardinals. The only hope for the Boilermakers would be if Brohm thinks there's too much of a toxic atmosphere surrounding the Louisville athletic dept. right now. That's probably a long shot. 

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

If Petrino gets fired, that probably means the end of the Jeff Brohm era at Purdue. I'dike to see what he could build in W. Lafayette and he definitely makes the B1G West more interesting. But it's hard to imagine him not returning to his alma mater if they come calling. His upset of tOSU gives him a signature win on his resume so that would seem like a no brainer for the Cardinals. The only hope for the Boilermakers would be if Brohm thinks there's too much of a toxic atmosphere surrounding the Louisville athletic dept. right now. That's probably a long shot. 

Honestly, unless Brohm just really wants to coach at his alma mater, I'd hold out for a better job. He is a very good coach, and he'll have much better offers than Louisville really soon.

On 11/6/2018 at 10:36 PM, Butch Had Not said:

So they have run the gamut of different hires....

Weis....failed big time fat coach

Beatty...successful assistant coach at power 5 school

Gill....hot mid major head coach

Next will be semi retired but not quite done yet former successful power 5 coach. 

They need to go after successful NFL assistant and when that doesn't work the sell their soul to the evils of college football reclamation coaches will finish it off. 

FIFY

On 11/1/2018 at 11:40 AM, MaybeACoordinator said:

Del Rio is not the answer. Jeff Fisher is tanned rested and ready.

Seriously, and this will never ever happen, but the Pirate would fucking wreck shop there. He's weird enough to turn down that gig though, even if they money whipped him. He wouldn't be able to walk to and from his office every day like he does in Pullman -- and 8 mile round trip like that in Compton would blow. 

U5s4jsz.gif?1

I tell ya, I just moved to a new neighborhood. It's tough, a tough place. I asked a cop how long it takes to walk to the subway. He says, "I don't know. Nobody ever made it."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rickyspub said:

I would think this is where the Big 10's media money should be a factor. Purdue is getting something like $20M more a year than Louisville just from TV. What would it really hurt them to money whip him for 5 years?

That's probably Purdue's best hope. But they've always struggled with fan enthusiasm. They've got a phased plan for stadium expansion but their last move was to remove bleacher seats in the south end zone and replace them with a patio and bar for a sort of 'fan zone' attraction. 

Purdue doesn't have any recruiting advantage over Louisville; it's certainly easier to recruit Florida kids to Louisville and they can still recruit the Midwest without Purdue's academic restrictions. I'd be all for Brohm being the next Joe Tiller but I just can't see it. I'd love to be wrong. 

13 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That's probably Purdue's best hope. But they've always struggled with fan enthusiasm. They've got a phased plan for stadium expansion but their last move was to remove bleacher seats in the south end zone and replace them with a patio and bar for a sort of 'fan zone' attraction. 

Purdue doesn't have any recruiting advantage over Louisville; it's certainly easier to recruit Florida kids to Louisville and they can still recruit the Midwest without Purdue's academic restrictions. I'd be all for Brohm being the next Joe Tiller but I just can't see it. I'd love to be wrong. 

one other thing with Purdue is their budget was $84.84 million in 2017 they have zero student fees and zero "other university money" and it has been that way since 2008 (which to me is to be admired) and even before that they had zero student fees all the way back to 2005 (last info available) and other university funds in 2005 was $677K in 2006 $8,394 and in 2007 $7,820

so there is little chance they are willing to get in a massive bidding war for a coach especially with a place like Louisville that has a $120 million dollar budget and that takes $2 million in student fees and $5.4 million in "other university funds"

not to mention Louisville sold $20 million more in tickets and had $18 million more in contributions in 2017 and while that differential between Louisville and Purdue has only been that large for the last few years it is still many millions different in favor of Louisville even going back to 2005

Purdue simply is not looking to be Northern A&M where the university is a slush fund for athletics no matter the athletics revenue

14 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

one other thing with Purdue is their budget was $84.84 million in 2017 they have zero student fees and zero "other university money" and it has been that way since 2008 (which to me is to be admired) and even before that they had zero student fees all the way back to 2005 (last info available) and other university funds in 2005 was $677K in 2006 $8,394 and in 2007 $7,820

so there is little chance they are willing to get in a massive bidding war for a coach especially with a place like Louisville that has a $120 million dollar budget and that takes $2 million in student fees and $5.4 million in "other university funds"

not to mention Louisville sold $20 million more in tickets and had $18 million more in contributions in 2017 and while that differential between Louisville and Purdue has only been that large for the last few years it is still many millions different in favor of Louisville even going back to 2005

Purdue simply is not looking to be Northern A&M where the university is a slush fund for athletics no matter the athletics revenue

Of course a big reason Louisville has more ticket sales and contributions is because they have been relevant over the past several years even going back to their final years in the AAC under Strong. If Purdue thinks Brohm is the guy, an extra $2-2.5M/yr will be earned back many times over in ticket sales and contributions. Not a risk-free endeavor, as you say, considering Purdue's lack of history and location.

I agree they are unlikely to do it because I don't think their administration is the type to push the envelope on coaching salaries, but they are already paying Brohm $3.3M which is still ridiculous if you just look at what Purdue pays for important faculty and administrators, rather than the world of college football with out of control spending on coaches with short resumes.

3 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Of course a big reason Louisville has more ticket sales and contributions is because they have been relevant over the past several years even going back to their final years in the AAC under Strong. If Purdue thinks Brohm is the guy, an extra $2-2.5M/yr will be earned back many times over in ticket sales and contributions. Not a risk-free endeavor, as you say, considering Purdue's lack of history and location.

I agree they are unlikely to do it because I don't think their administration is the type to push the envelope on coaching salaries, but they are already paying Brohm $3.3M which is still ridiculous if you just look at what Purdue pays for important faculty and administrators, rather than the world of college football with out of control spending on coaches with short resumes.

yea they had a consistent $14 million or more in tickets going back all the way to 2005 the $9 million was just the last couple of years

so one could think with a better team they could get a return on their investment......but of course the last couple of years have been "good" years for them especially Vs the years just before Brohm (when they still sold $14 million in tickets) so who knows if that return is there

and some of that ticket revenue is probably sports besides football and I think there can be a big argument made that a school like Purdue is the one that really took it in the ass being placed over in the Leaders Division.....IK that happened a while back, but it has taken time for some of this realignment crap and the TV scheduling bullshit to really start crushing in-person fan support.....and a place like Purdue is one that will probably struggle with that and have a hard time getting it back especially playing in the Leaders Division with all the rest of the apathy teams

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I tried to put a bug in our fanbase's ear about hiring Brohm when he was still at WKU and got accused of being Brohm's dad for my troubles. (Do you have the time...to listen to me whine?)

8 hours ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Agreed. I'm not even sure Louisville is a better job than Purdue.

45 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

In my opinion, Purdue is a far better job than Louisville, unquestionably...

Counter argument: just recruiting alone, isn't it way harder for Purdue to be good than Louisville?

On 11/8/2018 at 3:43 PM, rickyspub said:

If you are old enough to remember (1998) they (Purdue) were almost the sole voice of reason when the NCAA had legislation in place capping coaches salaries trying to prevent what would ultimately become an arms race. The NCAA legislation was subsequently overturned by a federal judge in Kansas City. As useless as the NCAA has become. They were smart enough to know what would happen if you didn’t cap it. The big would get far to big, the small would become irrelevant.

19 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Man this sucks for Rondale Moore.  People said this was a very likely possability when he decommitted from Texas and decided to play for Brohm.  Recruits don’t listen but you should commit to a program, not a coach.

The only person who didn’t see this coming was Rondale Moore. 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2018 at 10:41 AM, Tex Pete said:

Honestly, unless Brohm just really wants to coach at his alma mater, I'd hold out for a better job. He is a very good coach, and he'll have much better offers than Louisville really soon.

This.  And if it’s just between those two, to me Purdue is a potential step up from Louisville if you win.  Being a high-mid in the B1G is better exposure than being a high-mid in the ACC. Especially if you’re the one team in the B1G that plays rhe kind of football people can actually watch.  Joe Tiller 2.0 I guess.

Although Louisville seems to always get a few exceptional players here and there. 

Edited by Liquor and Poker
Spelin

I believe by the rules of the PAC 12 conference (every 4th coaching hire or less) this will be one of coaching hires where USC has to hire a former or current PAC 12 coach so the choices for USC are:

Steve Sarkisian

Lane Kiffin

David Shaw

Ty willingham

Rick Hewheisul

Jim Harbaugh

Dennis Green

Mike Price

Mike Bellotti

Jeff Tedford

Mike Riley

Corch Irving Mayor

Todd Graham

Pete Carroll

Dennis Erickson

Dirk Koetter

Mike Stoops

Jim Mora

Terry Donahue

Dick Vermeil

Bob Toledo

Bill McCartney

Dan Hawkins

Gary Barnett

Jon Embree

18 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

The only person who didn’t see this coming was Rondale Moore. 

Unless he frequents here, especially after another Maryland loss....if you're talking about corches no longer being where you commit....

He should xfer to Nebraska, no corch issue there, he would be fucking feenominal as Duck-R

Edited by mulletpelini

12 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

According to a DC CBS affiliate - USC is showing interest in John Harbaugh (who is expected to quit/be fired at the end of this season in Baltimore).

Dan Patrick has also mentioned USC as a possible destination for John Harbaugh.

Perfect. Lolz