CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

Bad news Tech...... Oregon hired away WR Coach

https://www.vivathematadors.com/2019/2/13/18223612/breaking-texas-tech-receivers-coach-jovon-bouknight-to-leave-program-join-oregon

"This new football coaching staff at Texas Tech has already lost one of its key members as Jovon Bouknight will leave the program immediately to take the same position at Oregon. Head Coach Matt Wells brought Bouknight over from Utah State when he was hired in December."

Edited by LTtxfan

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/report-oregon-defensive-coordinator-jim-leavitt-part-ways-after-two-seasons/ar-BBTyRh9

"The reasoning behind Leavitt's departure is still unknown."

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/13/oregon-will-reportedly-part-ways-with-dc-jim-leavitt/

"It’s expected that Cristobal will stay in-house for a replacement and promote co-defensive coordinator Keith Heyward to solo coordinator.  Leavitt had also served as the Ducks’ linebackers coach; the same website notes that the football program has already begun a search outside of the football program to fill that role."

Edited by LTtxfan

crazy that Leavitt was mentioned a little as a head coaching candidate most of the coach swap season and now he is out

bet some ADs are breathing a sigh of relief now

who knows it may be over nothing or it might be over him sniffing NFL jobs and Mario wanting a full commitment.....but no comment does not look good until things are cleared up fair or not

8 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

crazy that Leavitt was mentioned a little as a head coaching candidate most of the coach swap season and now he is out

bet some ADs are breathing a sigh of relief

Controversy at USF of  "allegations that Leavitt grabbed a player by the throat and struck him twice with his other hand"..... Leavitt was dismissed for cause.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/08/usf-officially-fires-leavitt-whos-next/

Then Purple Wizard blocked his hiring as coach in waiting at K-State because PW wanted his son Sean hired as next Head Coach.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/16/report-jim-leavitts-verbal-deal-to-take-over-at-k-state-nixed-by-bill-snyder/

25 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Controversy at USF of  "allegations that Leavitt grabbed a player by the throat and struck him twice with his other hand"..... Leavitt was dismissed for cause.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/08/usf-officially-fires-leavitt-whos-next/

Then Purple Wizard blocked his hiring as coach in waiting at K-State because PW wanted his son Sean hired as next Head Coach.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/16/report-jim-leavitts-verbal-deal-to-take-over-at-k-state-nixed-by-bill-snyder/

yea I knew why he was not a full on must hire for most programs, but he was being talked about

with this latest "he gone" and no real reason that does not help a guy that is already a "pass" for many schools to get back to being a candidate....best bet for him is to head to the pros and or Italy

not sure how I feel about what happened at USF sounds like some bullshit a little bit, but he is going to have a hard time in the college game if a good reason for being let go from Oregon does not come out because he was doing well at the actual job of being a DC

6 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

not sure how I feel about what happened at USF sounds like some bullshit a little bit, but he is going to have a hard time in the college game if a good reason for being let go from Oregon does not come out because he was doing well at the actual job of being a DC

9.95ers will uncover enough smoke to figure out what happened with Leavitt at Oregon.  I wonder if it's as simple as just not getting along with Cristobal and other assistants.  Leavitt may be too much of an alpha to have Cristobal as his boss.  Or maybe it's a money issue; could be lots of reasons and maybe Leavitt's contract is expiring and good time for a split??

What's funny is I could see Saban possibly hiring Leavitt on as a defensive analyst at Bama for a year or two..... Saban is a damn leech!!

Edited by LTtxfan

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

9.95ers will uncover enough smoke to figure out what happened with Leavitt at Oregon.  I wonder if it's as simple as just not getting along with Cristobal and other assistants.  Leavitt may be too much of an alpha to have Cristobal as his boss.  Or maybe it's a money issue; could be lots of reasons and maybe Leavitt's contract is expiring and good time for a split??

What's funny is I could see Saban possibly hiring Leavitt on as a defensive analyst at Bama for a year or two..... Saban is a damn leech!!

Leavitt wanted to be head coach after Taggart was hired away and never got over being snubbed.

• Like 1

Leavitt and Cristobal both interviewed for the Oregon head coaching gig.  Leavitt was a little pissed that he lost out to a coach with less experience than him.  The AD money whipped him to stay to help with stability due to the bad look resulting from the Taggart hire and Helfrich extension then firing.

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2019/02/canzano-oregon-ducks-coaching-odd-couple-breaking-up-jim-leavitt-out.html

9 minutes ago, Nuge said:

Leavitt and Cristobal both interviewed for the Oregon head coaching gig.  Leavitt was a little pissed that he lost out to a coach with less experience than him.  The AD money whipped him to stay to help with stability due to the bad look resulting from the Taggart hire and Helfrich extension then firing.

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2019/02/canzano-oregon-ducks-coaching-odd-couple-breaking-up-jim-leavitt-out.html

Great article..... thanks.  

Like the ending:  "There were some nice moments for Cristobal and Leavitt. Even sour relationships have them. The coaches celebrated touchdowns and turnovers together on the sideline. They slapped backs on the field after the overtime over against Washington. They recruited the best players they had. But be sure, it was a relationship that started with an expiration date stamped on the side of it.  That date is upon us."

Edited by LTtxfan

A great OL Coach just became available.  Gonna be interesting to see where he ends up....... I guess K-Briles brought the OL Coach from UH

Florida State: "Greg Frey will not return as offensive line coach, Willie Taggart has announced."

-------------------------------------------------------------

Top 10 Paid OL Coaches -- 2018

1. Sam Pittman, Georgia — $825,000
2. Will Friend, Tennessee — $805,000
3. Joe Rudolph, Wisconsin^ — $720,000
4. Greg Frey, Florida State — $675,000
5. Justin Frye, UCLA — $650,000
5. Herb Hand, Texas — $650,000
7. Mike Summers, Louisville — $632,000
8. Bill Bedenbaugh, Oklahoma — $625,000
9. Jim Turner, Texas A&M — $600,000
9. Eric Wolford, South Carolina — $600,000
^ – Also holds offensive coordinator title

Edited by LTtxfan

Tennessee Staff Set-Up..... February 15, 2019

Jeremy Pruitt reveals positional assignments for Tennessee staff

Jeremy Pruitt on Friday revealed the positional assignments for his second staff as Tennessee’s head coach.

New hire Jim Chaney will be a “walk around” offensive coordinator without a positional assignment, while fellow new hire Tee Martin will be Pruitt’s assistant head coach while coaching wide receivers.

To make room for Martin, current wide receivers coach David Johnson will move to running backs and running backs coach Chris Weinke will handle the quarterbacks. Weinke won the Heisman Trophy while playing quarterback at Florida State in 2000.

On defense, new hire Derrick Ansley will be Tennessee’s defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach. Tennessee did not designate a defensive coordinator in Pruitt’s first season; Kevin Sherrer and Chris Rumph split those duties, while Pruitt called plays. Sherrer and Rumph will remain on staff; Rumph’s duties as co-defensive coordinator and outside linebackers coach remain unchanged, while Sherrer will trade his co-coordinator title for special teams coordinator duties while continuing to coach the Vols’ inside linebackers.

Pruitt said Ansley will call plays for Tennessee. Tennessee Vols will have six coaches on offense and four on defense.

Pruitt: "I'm really the fifth assistant on the defensive side of the ball."

Tennessee invested heavily in Pruitt and his staff. Multiple Vols staffers made appearances in our salary series, and the assistants as a whole made $5.675 million, 11th most in the country. The Volunteers went 5-7 in Pruitt’s debut season, losing a shot at a bowl game after dropping games to Missouri and Vanderbilt to close the season.

13 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

A great OL Coach just became available.  Gonna be interesting to see where he ends up....... I guess K-Briles brought the OL Coach from UH

Florida State: "Greg Frey will not return as offensive coach,  Willie Taggart has announced."

Looks like buyout at UH about to get worked out for Randy Clements..... He's expected to be announced as the FSU OL Coach soon.

https://www.tomahawknation.com/florida-state-football-fsu-noles/2018/12/23/18153484/randy-clements-florida-state-football-houston-kendal-briles-fsu-seminoles-noles-coaching-change

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Looks like buyout at UH about to get worked out for Randy Clements..... He's expected to be announced as the FSU OL Coach soon.

https://www.tomahawknation.com/florida-state-football-fsu-noles/2018/12/23/18153484/randy-clements-florida-state-football-houston-kendal-briles-fsu-seminoles-noles-coaching-change

Hasn't he already been replaced by Brandon Jones (from Tech via Mack/UNC)?

21 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Hasn't he already been replaced by Brandon Jones (from Tech via Mack/UNC)?

UH got in a standoff with him and FSU

UH owes him a buyout if they fire him (I think over a million) and FSU (or anyone else) owes UH $400,000 if they hire him away

UH placed him in an analyst position for now and continues to pay him....FSU said fuck it if you want to pay an analyst $400,000 a year while also paying his replacement on the field coach the same or more then go for it

the deal has not come out yet, but I think UH woke up and realized that they were not going to get $400,000 from FSU and they were going to be paying $400,000 a year if they kept Clements (possibly for 3 years or a large buyout if they went ahead and fired him)

at some point you have to figure out that you can pay $400,000 a year for at least one year (and probably more), you can get nothing and pay nothing, or you can hope that someone wants to pay you $400,000 to buy a coach that is making $400,000 a year for the next three years

and the chances that someone will want to pay you $400,000 to buy out a coach that will also be looking to make $400,000 or more per a year (because he is guaranteed that for the next 3 years) shrinks dramatically after FSU goes into next season with someone besides Clements for their line coach

Edited by ButtFumble
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

UH got in a standoff with him and FSU

UH owes him a buyout if they fire him (I think over a million) and FSU (or anyone else) owes UH $400,000 if they hire him away

UH placed him in an analyst position for now and continues to pay him....FSU said fuck it if you want to pay an analyst $400,000 a year while also paying his replacement on the field coach the same or more then go for it

the deal has not come out yet, but I think UH woke up and realized that they were not going to get $400,000 from FSU and they were going to be paying $400,000 a year if they kept Clements (possibly for 3 years or a large buyout if they went ahead and fired him)

at some point you have to figure out that you can pay $400,000 a year for at least one year (and probably more), you can get nothing and pay nothing, or you can hope that someone wants to pay you $400,000 to buy a coach that is making $400,000 a year for the next three years

and the chances that someone will want to pay you $400,000 to buy out a coach that will also be looking to make $400,000 or more per a year (because he is guaranteed that for the next 3 years) shrinks dramatically after FSU goes into next season with someone besides Clements for their line coach

Still think UH gets some buyout money on this deal from FSU for Clements.  FSU needs Clements by time Springball starts......

Texas GA gets job with Minnesota Vikings (Never heard of this guy??)

Christian Jones joins the Vikings staff after most recently spending the 2018 season with the University of Texas as an offensive graduate assistant. The Northwestern University graduate assisted his alma mater as an offensive intern in 2017. Prior to coaching, Jones played wide receiver at Northwestern (2011-15). The Houston, Texas native led the team in receiving yards with 412 as a sophomore in 2012. Jones did not see action in 2014 while rehabbing an injury sustained during training camp, but totaled 234 receiving yards his senior season (2015). He finished his career playing 51 games, grabbing 128 receptions for 1,509 yards and eight touchdowns.

Not a coaching change, but funny discussion about Jawja trying to hire Kentucky OC.  Aggy also part of the discussion....

http://footballscoop.com/news/eddie-gran-says-offered-georgias-offensive-coordinator-job/

Game of Thrones dropped its final season’s trailer today, so I believe I’m allowed to make this reference now: SEC hiring can be more incestuous than the Targaryens and the Lannisters ever dreamed of being.

After Georgia lost offensive coordinator Jim Chaney to SEC East bunk mate Tennessee, the Bulldogs then spoke to fellow SEC bunk mate Kentucky’s offensive coordinator Eddie Gran. Plenty of debate raged about just how seriously the Dogs pursued Gran and whether or not they even wanted him as their offensive coordinator as opposed to a position coach, but Gran on Tuesday said he had a legitimate offer from Georgia.

“Serious to the point that they offered the job,” he told the Lexington Herald-Leader. “It came down to: I love this community. I love this administration — Dr. (Eli) Capilouto, Mitch Barnhart — the guy that I work for is fantastic. And I’ve become a part of this community, and I love it. I think we’re doing some things that are special, and those (were) all a part of the decision-making when I decided to stay.”

In the SEC’s game of thrones, the truth is what you make of it and looking superior to your rival houses is of tantamount importance, so one must consider the source here. Georgia is never going to publicly admit it didn’t have enough juice to lure away Kentucky’s offensive coordinator, and Kentucky’s offensive coordinator is never going to admit Georgia wasn’t really interested in him.

No matter where the truth actually lies, the reality was that Gran returned to Kentucky and Kirby Smart promoted James Coley to offensive coordinator. It was Coley’s second promotion in now four off-seasons at Georgia, coming one year after he was moved to co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, a necessary move to keep Jimbo Fisher from prying Coley away to another one of the SEC’s 14 kingdoms in Texas A&M.

Edited by LTtxfan

Staff change at Auburn...... former Longhorn

Auburn: Director of player personnel Stefan Schmidt’s last day with the staff is today, according to 247, who adds that it’s unclear if Schmidt landed another job or was forced out. Schmidt joined the staff in June of 2017 after previously serving as the assistant director of player personnel at Texas.

• 3 weeks later...

Greg Schiano, New England Patriots defensive coordinator,  is stepping down from his role with the team.  

"I have informed Mr. Kraft and Coach Belichick that I am stepping down from my position at the Patriots," Schiano said. "This is not the result of any one event, but rather a realization that I need to spend more time on my faith and family. I don’t want to look back years from now and wish I had done things differently. Therefore, I am taking time away from the game to recalibrate my priorities."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/28/greg-schiano-steps-down-new-england-patriots-defensive-coordinator