CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

Had Riley wanted, he could have coached in the SEC (OU, LSU, or Florida). Yet out of the 3 biggest gigs available, he chose the one in talent rich CA. It's a smooth transition for a guy that has already proven he can recruit the best out of CA and nationally. 

OU was in a conference with 1 other heavyweight, but heading to a conference with 6 or 7. Now with the move to USC, he is back to dealing with 1 chief competitor for talent and league supremacy (oregon/Nike), and probably received a massive raise in the process. Even if cfb playoff expansion occurs in a couple of years to 8 or even 16 teams, USC should always have a clearer path to the playoffs.

And in the case of a massive restructuring of college athletics where the top schools break away from the Ncaa in the future, Riley knows jobs will always be available in whatever league results as long as he keeps winning. Plus USC would likely be a part of that process anyway. You can argue whether USC made the right move or not, but from Riley's perspective it's a no-f'n-brainer to me. 

Yep, new age Bobby Bowden. He is used to being in a two horse race and knows that gets blown up in the SEC. He is also reading the tea leaves and knows Texas is about to become a bigger recruiting battleground because of the additional exposure of SEC schools.  Outside of taxes and cost of living, he is moving up in every other aspect of his job.

24 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Decent resume with no ranked finishes. Yes, I know it's Temple. 

1 ranked finish in 7 years as a head coach in college, 47-43 in college, and 2 sub-par seasons in the NFL. He's drastically overrated if you ask me. 

I agree he falls into the good but overrated coach category. That 11-3 season was full of close wins over not very good teams, too. He got out at the right time, we see how coming back with your guys but off a season with a lot of close wins worked for Iowa State's preseason expectations this year.

• Like 1

Summary on the Splitzoneduo's podcast that's behind a paywall, from an LSU site

"-Jimbo to LSU not 100% dead
-Lane really wanted LSU/Florida and is jumping from Ole Miss first blue blood that offers
-Mark Stoops is a fallback but “won’t win the press conference”
-one big name under consideration but he didn’t feel good reporting yet"

Godfrey made it very clear on the pod that Woodward won’t be hiring anyone associated with either Miles or O ties, so that means no Kiffin or Aranda. Aranda not being in contact with the LSU search at all also lines up directly with what Culotta said on his show last night, as well. Just no interest from LSU."

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

I will say if this is being announced on Tuesday or Wednesday I don’t think it will be Aranda. 

Don’t think he would want that leaked before the Big 12 championship game. I really have no clue who this could be. 

You're right, but I REALLY hope you're wrong.  

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Matt Rhules last 5 years as a head coach. 

1-11, 7-6, 11-3, 5-11, and 5-7. 

What he did to rebuild Baylor in 3 years was impressive but I think he's drastically overrated and I said this after he left Baylor. 

I'm a big Rhule fan and don't think he's overrated at all. He's a great talent evaluator and developer to add along to his rebuild/program building ability.

From his last two years at Baylor he had 12 guys sign with NFL teams.  From 4 years at Temple, 25 players he recruited and coached signed in NFL.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I don't get the sense that Rhule is in any hot water in Carolina. I also don't get the Kliff Kingsbury stuff from yesterday. He has a pretty good thing going in Arizona, why would he leave for the SEC grind and unreasonable sooner fanbase?

Kingsbury has one year left on his contract.  This seems to be his agent using the OU situation as leverage for an extension. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Not sure that Matt's as popular now after this year's shitty season -- there is a current rumor that Iowa State working on an extension.  

This was dumb...

"Greatest Together Team in Iowa State Football" - Put it on the wall!

16 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I don't get the sense that Rhule is in any hot water in Carolina. I also don't get the Kliff Kingsbury stuff from yesterday. He has a pretty good thing going in Arizona, why would he leave for the SEC grind and unreasonable sooner fanbase?

Agreed, Kingsbury isn't returning to college football ever... he made it very clear when he left Tech that he absolutely hated recruiting and wanted no part of the 24hr/365 day grind that it is.

35 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Plus he can't bring a GM back with him from the NFL. Dude was a horrible college coach. I hope like hell OU hires him.