CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

30 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Maybe the non-Blue Bloods hold the line and not pay >$5M per year…thus providing real motivation for all coaches to win their asses off for a chance at one of the few Blue Blood programs?

Maybe they follow aggy's lead and open enrollment.  More alumni, more contributors.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Why do people always assume this means the coach said no? Just as likely the school said no thanks so he signed an extension where he's at. 

Why are you assuming that's what I'm assuming? He's not going to OU. He's staying at UK. Whether he told them no or they told him no makes no difference to me. He's out of the running was all I was reporting. 

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Is Cumbie related to Lyle Lovett? He looks like an old man in the face. 

Progeria is nothing to laugh about.

16 minutes ago, slorch said:

Cumbie was QB after BJ Symons who followed Kliff at Tech.  Cumbie was MVP of the Holiday Bowl win over Double-Check Rahjahs and Company, after passing for 500+ yards and 3 TDs against the Golden( but pouty) Bears.

That was so great! I spent an entire layover in Phoenix buying drinks for every Tech fan heading back to Texas while I was on the way to Los Angeles for the Rose Bowl. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

<Captain Obvious Trigger Warning>

Hide contents

I am struggling to understand how the economics of college athletics is sustainable. All this trickles down to schools without the major program revenue offering insane salaries.

It helps when you have nearly free labor.

35 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I remember 4 years ago everyone thought we won the coaching carousel bonanza.  I will be very interested to see how all these moves play out. 

I remember the nearly untethered optimism NU fans had when they landed Frost during that same cycle. 

Fire Trash GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/23/2021 at 11:31 AM, Js1 said:

More like P3

SEC, B1G and ACC - 21 CFP appearances, 20-14 record, 7 championships.  All 3 have had multiple schools appear (SEC and ACC - 3 and B1G - 2)

The rest of the "P5?" 6 appearances, 1-6 record, no championships and only 3 teams (OU, Washington, Oregon). 

It's been a P3 for a while.  Pac 12 and Big 12-4+2 just getting the scraps.  Once OU and Texas are in the SEC, the Big 12 has no active teams that have been to the CFP.  

It's possible that both Cincinnati and OSU make the playoff this year, though.

Just now, MonkeyDoughnut said:

If there was ever a year that Saban might just retire unexpectedly, this might be it. The carousel has been wild already and he's said things and done things this year that just feels different.  I'm open to complete chaos as this cycle has been crazy.

I doubt it. His contract is tied to the salaries of the top coach salaries in the country. He's gonna get a big bump in salary just by staying at Bama.  

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

If there was ever a year that Saban might just retire unexpectedly, this might be it. The carousel has been wild already and he's said things and done things this year that just feels different.  I'm open to complete chaos as this cycle has been crazy.

He's about to get a massive pay raise. He's going nowhere. 

13 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Yeah, cause Nick Saban needs more money.... you're thinking like a poor.

At some point he'll retire, at that point he'll be making north of $10M, he'll still retire.

https://thecomeback.com/ncaa/nick-saban-salary-contract-clause-brian-kelly.html

If the reports are true that the LSU Tigers are going to hire Brian Kelly and pay him upwards of $15 million/year as their head coach, Alabama Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban may have also just automatically received a raise.

When Saban signed a contract extension to stay in Tuscaloosa through the 2028 season, it was for a deal that would pay him an average of $10.6 million over its lifetime, with the final year hitting $11.5 million. However, it also included a clause that said “Saban will be paid at least as much as the average total pay of the top three SEC coaches or top-five NCAA coaches, whichever is higher.”

Given the staggering numbers that have been thrown around in recent days for Mel Tucker at Michigan State, Lincoln Riley at USC, and now Brian Kelly at LSU, it’s a foregone conclusion that Saban’s clause is going to give him a significant bump. We’ll have to see if the Kelly numbers pan out, but either way, the average value of a college football coach contract is going through the roof and Nick Saban is, rightfully, going to benefit from that.

You could even say that it doesn’t make any sense for anyone to be paid more money than Saban given all the things he’s accomplished at Alabama, but that’s a conversation for another day. Today, college football folks are happy to point out that Saban is about to get a raise thanks to Brian Kelly.

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

And Harrell and Eric Morris

Jarrett Hicks and Kocurek too.

BJ Symons, had he not played on basically one leg,  would have possibly had the best season ever by a Tech QB.  Seems like the douche/ jock factor is high with him though. 

8 hours ago, BurntOrange&amp;White said:

Being able to do that at two different programs, especially one that pretty much was gutted when he took over is very very impressive. His NFL results don't matter IMO.

I think Rhule is a good coach but also way overrated. 

47-43 as a college coach (no matter the circumstances or school) is not a top tier coach. 

I hope to god this isn’t the savior we are setting up to hire if Sark fails but that’s par for the course with us.