CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

What a dumbass.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/seminoles/2019/11/25/willie-taggart-never-signed-a-final-contract-heres-why-it-could-matter/

On the day Florida State hired Willie Taggart as its football coach, the Seminoles typed up a nine-page letter of agreement.

The letter called itself a binding document, but it was meant to be a placeholder until the two sides finalized a formal contract, which they intended to do “as soon as practicable.”

That never happened.

Taggart spent his entire Seminoles tenure —from his hiring on Dec. 5, 2017 to his firing on Nov. 3 of this year — without ever signing a contract beyond the initial letter. according to FSU

The obvious problem of not having a formal contract is that, well, there’s not a formal contract. The initial letter of agreement alludes to a future deal four separate times. The fact that it was never executed, Greenberg said, could allow one side to argue that Taggart was merely an at-will employee.

That’s what Kentucky did a decade ago with basketball coach Billy Gillispie. When the Wildcats fired Gillispie in 2009 after two seasons (sound familiar?), they argued they didn’t have to pay his buyout because he never signed a formal contract, aside from their initial memo of understanding.

12 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

After leading NM to 8 years of suck, they finally pulled the plug. I guess the sensational record of 35-25 and 0-3 in bowl games at ND didn't carry over to the Lobos program.

Schiano had just a few reasonable demands from Rutgers:

The highlights of what Schiano wanted, according to the site:

— An 8-year contract worth $4 million per year, with $400,000 retention bonuses after Years 4 and 6.

— A buyout starting at $25.2 million.

— The freedom to walk without penalty if the school did not improve its football facilities by 2023.

— Unlimited private jet use.

— A staff salary pool starting at $7.7 million, increasing by at least 3 percent per year.

— Other standard bonuses and perks common to coaching contracts at the Power 5 level.

Rutgers offered Schiano a 6-year contract averaging $4 million per year, which shows that the sides agreed on the annual salary, but Schiano sought a buyout that was worth more than the entire contract the school offered.

— An 8-year contract worth $4 million per year, with $400,000 retention bonuses after Years 4 and 6.

— The freedom to walk without penalty if the school did not improve its football facilities by 2023.

— A staff salary pool starting at $7.7 million, increasing by at least 3 percent per year.

— Other standard bonuses and perks common to coaching contracts at the Power 5 level.

Rutgers offered Schiano a 6-year contract averaging $4 million per year, which shows that the sides agreed on the annual salary, but Schiano sought a buyout that was worth more than the entire contract the school offered.

The buyout might be a bit wonky. And maybe not. Overall it looks like a good deal for both parties.

One of the Ohio State podcasts says Rutgers BMD's are upset with their AD. He may change his mind. Or maybe even fired.

4 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

New Jersey football coaches association trashes Rutgers administration

By Scott Roussel -

November 26, 2019

Following the somehow unsurprising debacle of an attempted hiring that just didn’t materialize, a lot of folks in New Jersey are upset.  The head of the New Jersey football coaches association has had it with Rutgers, taking to the mean streets of the internet to issue the following public statement which he expressly stated was “ON the record”.

This is my statement as Commissioner of the NJFCA and it is ON the record:

I believe It is unfortunate and unacceptable that we have reached this point with regards to future of RU Football. We are a Big 10 football program with administrative leadership that is not operating commensurately.

How you can proceed this far into negotiations with Greg Schiano, obviously knowing there was a possibility that you would not capitulate to all the requirements he felt necessary to re-build and successfully run a Big 10 football program, without having a plan B & C demonstrates an alarming lack of competence on many levels.

We are weeks away from early signing day, with a frustrated fan base, a current roster of players contemplating transferring, future prospects losing confidence & prominent donors publicly announcing the termination of their future financial support.

The fact these events could not be forecasted by the RU administrative leadership makes it abundantly evident they unfortunately lack the depth, foresight and understanding that is required to lead a decision making processes of this magnitude.

At this point I believe the only option is for someone in a position of authority to ask Coach Schiano back to the negotiating table and complete the deal they initiated. There literally is no other choice as a result of their lack of effective planning. Hopefully someone in a position of leadership at RU will quickly come to this realization while the situation can still be rectified.

Regards,
John Jacob
Wayne Hills Football
Offensive Coordinator
NJFCA Commissioner

Oh boy. All I can say is Rutgers better wind up with Joe Moorhead or better or else this fanbase might literally start throwing trash.

21 minutes ago, DeadArmadillo said:

Barry Odom, we hardly even knew ye

Gabe DeArmond, a Mizzou fanboy insider is reporting on twitter that the Tigers have moved on

Tweet:

Athletic:  Missouri: Head coach Barry Odom has been fired, a person with knowledge of the situation tells The Athletic’s Bruce Feldman. Rivals.com first reported the news. Odom was 25-25 in four seasons, including 6-6 this year after a 5-1 start. Odom received a contract extension though 2024 last December after an 8-5 season. His buyout is an estimated $2.3 million

Nov. 29th -- USF: Asked if he’ll be back next season or has been told of his future, Bulls coach Charlie Strong responded after losing to UCF, “I have no idea.”

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 4:16 PM, LTtxfan said:

New Jersey football coaches association trashes Rutgers administration

By Scott Roussel -

November 26, 2019

Following the somehow unsurprising debacle of an attempted hiring that just didn’t materialize, a lot of folks in New Jersey are upset.  The head of the New Jersey football coaches association has had it with Rutgers, taking to the mean streets of the internet to issue the following public statement which he expressly stated was “ON the record”.

This is my statement as Commissioner of the NJFCA and it is ON the record:

I believe It is unfortunate and unacceptable that we have reached this point with regards to future of RU Football. We are a Big 10 football program with administrative leadership that is not operating commensurately.

How you can proceed this far into negotiations with Greg Schiano, obviously knowing there was a possibility that you would not capitulate to all the requirements he felt necessary to re-build and successfully run a Big 10 football program, without having a plan B & C demonstrates an alarming lack of competence on many levels.

We are weeks away from early signing day, with a frustrated fan base, a current roster of players contemplating transferring, future prospects losing confidence & prominent donors publicly announcing the termination of their future financial support.

The fact these events could not be forecasted by the RU administrative leadership makes it abundantly evident they unfortunately lack the depth, foresight and understanding that is required to lead a decision making processes of this magnitude.

At this point I believe the only option is for someone in a position of authority to ask Coach Schiano back to the negotiating table and complete the deal they initiated. There literally is no other choice as a result of their lack of effective planning. Hopefully someone in a position of leadership at RU will quickly come to this realization while the situation can still be rectified.

Regards,
John Jacob
Wayne Hills Football
Offensive Coordinator
NJFCA Commissioner

Oh boy. All I can say is Rutgers better wind up with Joe Moorhead or better or else this fanbase might literally start throwing trash.

Guess Rutgers may have listened to NJFCA...

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2019/12/greg-schiano-returns-9-unanswered-questions-as-rutgers-prepares-to-re-introduce-the-coach.html

1 hour ago, Llogg said:

To replace Meh? I imagine Drayton is staying put and I doubt Wilson's a consideration for OC.

Wilson is better than any assistant we have on staff, go after him aggressively. 

we likely won’t or LSU already has a deal in place to bring him back.

1 hour ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Beat me to it. He always has teams that love to knock heads and play tough. He'll be a great addition to some staff if he doesn't catch on elsewhere. 

That's why I think Addazio is a good coach and a good fit for ND, yet a bad fit for Cousin Oliver College.  You cannot take BC's recruits and try to beat up elite players.