CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

18 hours ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

Nebraska OC Troy Walters out.  Makes sense--seems like every time I watched them, they turtled and blew a second half lead.

https://www.omaha.com/sports/college/huskers/teams/football/husker-offensive-coordinator-troy-walters-won-t-return-to-nebraska/article_5050f6ec-29e5-5495-875a-d7da0f576aaf.html

New Nebraska OC is former Oregon OC and Washington WR Coach Matt Lubick.   His most recent position was...working for a credit union?

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/oregon-ducks/report-former-oregon-oc-matt-lubick-join-scott-frosts-staff-nebraska

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/csu/football/2019/01/08/matt-lubick-leaves-coaching-oversee-canvas-partnership-colorado-state-university/2513081002/

39 minutes ago, Fud said:

There's scuttle that Bo Pelini is LSU's top choice for DC

Man, I'd almost want that. I kinda miss the last game we played against Nebraska, ended 9-6, and the Huskers got 140 yards worth of penalties. Pelini went all Pelini that day and couldn't control himself. I'd love to see him do that again.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Man, I'd almost want that. I kinda miss the last game we played against Nebraska, ended 9-6, and the Huskers got 140 yards worth of penalties. Pelini went all Pelini that day and couldn't control himself. I'd love to see him do that again.

that wasn't the last game we played against nebraska.  

In a move that surprises no one, Titans DB coach Kerry Coombes is returning to Ohio State to be co-DC. Coombes was DB coach in Columbus from 2012 through 2017.  He is a good coach.  It was a open rumor he'd be returning, but they waited until the end of the Titans' season to announce it.

3 hours ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

OSU brings back Kerry Coombs as CB coach, now with a co-coordinator salary bump (1.2 mil). Was with Vrabel/Titans in 18-19. 

47 minutes ago, Parliament said:

In a move that surprises no one, Titans DB coach Kerry Coombes is returning to Ohio State to be co-DC. Coombes was DB coach in Columbus from 2012 through 2017.  He is a good coach.  It was a open rumor he'd be returning, but they waited until the end of the Titans' season to announce it.

Kerry Coombs will reportedly be the highest paid assistant coach in Ohio State football history 

Coombs will be the highest-paid assistant coach in Ohio State history according to sources that spoke to Bill Rabinowitz. Coombs’ salary is reported to be around $1.2 Million a year, about $100,000 more than the $1.1 Million that current co-defensive coordinator Greg Mattison makes.

https://buckeyeswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/20/kerry-coombs-highest-paid-assistant-ohio-state-football-history/

6 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Todd Graham can coach. I’m just pretty sure he can’t not be an asshole. 

Not trying to pick a fight, generally trying to understand. I see allusions to graham being a great coach all the time, and his cunt rank level near an admiralty isn’t questioned, but why is he seen as this great coach? A couple good years at Tulsa with Gus Malzahn calling the plays? Building up ASU before railroading them right back into the gutter? A year at Rice with Jarrett Dillard can’t be it. 

I just sort of assumed he had some Texas HS legend status but I looked him up and dude was a non entity at the HS level. Why do some folks insist he is a great coach?

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Not trying to pick a fight, generally trying to understand. I see allusions to graham being a great coach all the time, and his cunt rank level near an admiralty isn’t questioned, but why is he seen as this great coach? A couple good years at Tulsa with Gus Malzahn calling the plays? Building up ASU before railroading them right back into the gutter? A year at Rice with Jarrett Dillard can’t be it. 

I just sort of assumed he had some Texas HS legend status but I looked him up and dude was a non entity at the HS level. Why do some folks insist he is a great coach?

I didn’t say he was a great coach, I said he can coach. He has stepped into some tough coaching situations and made an immediate impact. He gets a lot out of his players- until they get tired of his shit.

He has leveraged his jobs into better jobs quickly, but it all fell apart at ASU. It’s possinle Graham has learned from his flameout at ASU, but I doubt it.

5 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

I didn’t say he was a great coach, I said he can coach. He has stepped into some tough coaching situations and made an immediate impact. He gets a lot out of his players- until they get tired of his shit.

He has leveraged his jobs into better jobs quickly, but it all fell apart at ASU. It’s possinle Graham has learned from his flameout at ASU, but I doubt it.

Todd Graham is the cautionary tale for Tom Herman. I doubt either has learned shit and will do anything whatsoever to avoid their future predictable outcomes.

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Todd Graham is the cautionary tale for Tom Herman. I doubt either has learned shit and will do anything whatsoever to avoid their future predictable outcomes.

Both of them will be under the microscope this fall. Hawaii doesn't have a lot to lose. We do.

At least we have upgraded our staff. Maybe significantly at some spots.

6 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Both of them will be under the microscope this fall. Hawaii doesn't have a lot to lose. We do.

At least we have upgraded our staff. Maybe significantly at some spots.

When has Hawaii ever been on the national radar let alone under the microscope?

Seriously

20 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

They got their ass kicked by Georgia in the 2008 Sugar Bowl 41 - 10 with Colt Brennan at QB.  Other than that I can't think of a time they were relevant at all.

They weren't relevant then.  That was just a year when the powers that be gave in to media and fan pressure to "give the little guy a chance".

8 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

They weren't relevant then.  That was just a year when the powers that be gave in to media and fan pressure to "give the little guy a chance".

I mean an undefeated G5 should have that shot. Boise State, UCF, Memphis and pre-P12 Utah have all played fun major bowls against big powers.

Edited by texifornia

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

I mean an undefeated G5 should have that shot. Boise State, UCF, Memphis and pre-P12 Utah have all played fun major bowls against big powers.

Agree

Watching Boise St. beat OU was the most fun I've had watching a game outside of UT's big wins. The statue-of-liberty play was glorious!

• Like 1

Somehow missed this...

Michigan:  Bob Shoop and Brian Jean-Mary agreed to two-year deals with Michigan football, according to records obtained by the Free Press.   Shoop, the former defensive coordinator at Mississippi State, signed a memorandum of understanding with U-M on Jan. 16, according to records obtained via a Freedom of Information Act request. Jean-Mary, the defensive coordinator at South Florida last season, signed a memorandum of understanding last Friday.  According to the Wolverines, Shoop will coach safeties and Jean-Mary will coach linebackers.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2020/01/23/michigan-football-2020-coaching-staff/4553711002/

22 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Ahahaha truly amazing

Neverminding how wrong he is about anything positive being assigned to Hitler, it's also fascinating that this is allegedly a guy with a history background and yet he apparently doesn't understand the basic tenets of demagoguery and how it works. There was nothing unique or special regarding Hitler's rise to power. "Great leader". Right.

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Neverminding how wrong he is about anything positive being assigned to Hitler, it's also fascinating that this is allegedly a guy with a history background and yet he apparently doesn't understand the basic tenets of demagoguery and how it works. There was nothing unique or special regarding Hitler's rise to power. "Great leader". Right.

I had a friend from ATX who swam for Drury. Very nice person, not sure academic rigor was exactly at the top of their priorities.

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I had a friend from ATX who swam for Drury. Very nice person, not sure academic rigor was exactly at the top of their priorities.

My impression of Drury - based on limited experience - is imagine if Baylor was more strictly religious, but even smaller so no one from the outside world paid attention to them.

47 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Ahahaha truly amazing

Wtf? It's well-documented that Hitler was a terrible military leader. He catastrophically mis-managed Operation Barbarossa, failing to take Moscow and allowing army group B to be destroyed at Stalingrad. He literally thought Russia would fall in six months.

• Like 3