CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

17 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Vandy actually has some interesting options for themselves. Clark Lea is a hot name and might actually stay there long-term as a Nashville native and Vandy grad. They should hire him for sure. And we like to shit on BOB but he'd be a steal for them. Chadwell is interesting too

Not sure I understand why people would be so scared to face a Vandy triple option. Seems like that'd be a disaster with Vandy athletes vs UGA/FL/Bama etc athletes

I agree. Vandy should probably go the Wake Forest/Duke route and air it out a good deal.  Or at least that seem like what those schools do during their successful years.

5 minutes ago, pops said:

Blake Anderson of Arkansas state to be named Utah State coach. 

After his wife died I think he just needed a change of scenery, he seemed to be checked out for this season. Will be interesting to see who ArkyState hires because they've had a really good run with Freeze, Mahlzahn, Harsin, and now Anderson. 

10 minutes ago, golfclap said:

After his wife died I think he just needed a change of scenery, he seemed to be checked out for this season. Will be interesting to see who ArkyState hires because they've had a really good run with Freeze, Mahlzahn, Harsin, and now Anderson. 

Was just reading that stuff. He had some petty tough quotes about everything in town reminding him of his wife and he didn't know if he'd even be able to coach there or just be a basket case. 

Seems to be a decent get for usu if the change of scenery does him good. Outside of boise the sun belt probably isn't much worse than the mountain west. 

1 hour ago, pops said:

Happy for Blake!!

A few Ark State candidates...

• Rhett Lashlee, the Miami offensive coordinator already on teams’ wish-lists this fall, is an Arkansas native, has previous experience as the Arkansas State O.C. (in 2012, Mohajir’s first autumn atop the program) and is on a definitive career path to be a head coach – with Lashlee being judicious in what opportunities he does/does not explore.
  • Ole Miss offensive coordinator Jeff Lebby 
  • North Carolina play-caller Phil Longo are two other names to watch, according to a coach familiar with Arkansas State
  • Also, multiple former SEC head coaches are also interested in the opportunity.

“That’s exactly who they’ve hired in the past,” he said. “(Hugh) Freeze. (Gus) Malzahn. (Bryan) Harsin, Anderson are all OC types that played fast and on the edge of things.”

https://footballscoop.com/news/early-look-at-arkansas-state-candidates/ 

On December 8, 2020 at 6:32 PM, Michael Knight said:

Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel on Tuesday said he and coach Jim Harbaugh will sit down after the season to discuss any type of extension and where the program is headed moving forward.

"How rumors get started about things before Jim and I sit down and have a conversation, I'm not going to get into," Manuel said. "That's not for me to try to track down, but that's where that is, and that's where we'll be at the end of the season."

Reports surfaced earlier this week that Manuel had offered a contract extension to Harbaugh.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30479710/michigan-ad-says-meet-football-coach-jim-harbaugh-season-discuss-future

At least we're not Michigan right?

I heard an interview with John U. Bacon, who apparently broke the story about the contract extension, on the radio today. He said the new contract would involve a reduction in salary and buyout with significant incentives for achieving goals like beating Ohio State, winning the conference, and making the playoff. You know, the things he was hired to do. 

So several reports out that Virginia Tech job probably will be opening after the Virginia game...

1. How good of a job is Va Tech??
  2. Likely Candidates??
  3. Would Matt Campbell be interested??

Justin Fuente – Virginia Tech

After a 4-2 start to the season, Virginia Tech has dropped four-straight games and is in a free fall under Justin Fuente. Once one of the most promising hires, Fuente is now on shaky ground as the Hokies lack the consistency they had under Frank Beamer.

Ending the season on a five-game losing streak would be an indictment of where things are heading for the program. 

Virginia and Virginia Tech play on Saturday in Blacksburg.  Virginia Tech head coach Justin Fuente, who is on the hot seat with a 37-26 record since taking over in 2016, said he doesn’t want his situation to distract his players.

“I don’t want anybody to play for me,” he told reporters Monday. “I want them to play for each other.”

18 hours ago, golfclap said:

he could ease the suffering in Utah with multiple wives......ok well ease the suffering on one front and amp it way up on another

20 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So several reports out that Virginia Tech job probably will be opening after the Virginia game...

1. How good of a job is Va Tech??
  2. Likely Candidates??
  3. Would Matt Campbell be interested??

Justin Fuente – Virginia Tech

After a 4-2 start to the season, Virginia Tech has dropped four-straight games and is in a free fall under Justin Fuente. Once one of the most promising hires, Fuente is now on shaky ground as the Hokies lack the consistency they had under Frank Beamer.

Ending the season on a five-game losing streak would be an indictment of where things are heading for the program. 

Virginia and Virginia Tech play on Saturday in Blacksburg.  Virginia Tech head coach Justin Fuente, who is on the hot seat with a 37-26 record since taking over in 2016, said he doesn’t want his situation to distract his players.

“I don’t want anybody to play for me,” he told reporters Monday. “I want them to play for each other.”

I see no way he goes there the only reason to do that would be if he believed he had topped out at ISU for good and he thought that in the ACC at VT he could somehow get them in line with Clemson to compete for it all regularly

I am not sure VT is the place to do that and with NC and Miami both doing better than they have in a long time it seems unlikely VT will just take right back off and I think that even though I also think that Miami will fall right back apart in a season or two and Mack will probably burn out quickly when expectations continue to climb at NC and he finds out they are not happy going to the Belk Bowl every year as a 9-3 team

Stumblin may get fired??

Sources: An update on Kevin Sumlin & Arizona

By John Brice -  December 11, 2020

Where have the halcyon days of the … Rich Rodriguez era gone at Arizona?

It wasn’t too long ago that the Wildcats, a somewhat quiet, on-again, off-again power program in the Pac-12 Conference, went to five bowls in six seasons under Rodriguez, including a Pac-12 South title and a berth in the New Year’s Six Fiesta Bowl.

Rodriguez, however, followed up a 3-9 2016 campaign with a 7-6 ledger a year later, and coupled with other issues in the athletics department, was dismissed in Tucson, Arizona.   Kevin Sumlin slid into the job after a disappointing close to his time at Texas A&M, and now Sumlin has yet to post a winning record or postseason appearance in three challenging years atop the Arizona program. The Wildcats had mustered just a 9-19 mark in Sumlin’s three years going into Friday night’s contest at home against rival Arizona State, which only has played two games thus far in the abbreviated season that has been delayed by COVID-19 but turned in a strong start previously under coach Herm Edwards.

Sumlin, who’s earned an average salary just below $3 million at Arizona would be owed a buyout of around $5 million should Arizona make a change.

Again, however, the Arizona job has some incredibly positive elements. There’s a strong tradition of success and Rodriguez showed an ability to find success in the modern, expanded PAC-12.  The job also has paid consistently in the top half of the PAC-12, there’s good in-state talent and the obviously ability to recruit nearby California, as well as West Texas.

Look for Alabama offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian to be perhaps the top candidate for the position. Sarkisian has head coaching experience already at a pair of PAC-12 powers, Southern Cal and Washington, and presently is the engineer of perhaps college football’s most explosive offense for the top-ranked Crimson Tide. He’s turned down other jobs just a year ago, after being closely linked to both Colorado and Mississippi State, but everyone from Nick Saban to Lane Kiffin is championing Sarkisian as ready for his next head coaching opportunity.

Former Colorado, UCLA and Washington coach Rick Neuheisel is another name worth monitoring at Arizona. Sources with direct knowledge tell FootballScoop.com that Neuheisel is interested in making one more run at success with a major-college program.

USC offensive coordinator Graham Harrell, San Jose State coach Brent Brennan, UCF coach Josh Heupel, who’s maintained strong success despite key injuries and opt-outs this season for the Knights program and continues to engineer an exciting, tantalizing offense, and Oregon defensive coordinator Andy Avalos are names to watch, per industry sources, college football coaches and current PAC-12 staffers. Ryan Nielsen, a Southern Cal graduate with Power-5 experience at North Carolina State and presently in charge of the New Orleans Saints’ defensive line, is another name to watch in the mix in Tucson. Nielsen’s considered an excellent developer of talent and understands recruiting and program development.

There will be other candidates with interest in the job. It’s just too attractive a proposition for many coaches to ignore.

Finality of a decision is expected within 24 hours. 

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-an-update-on-kevin-sumlin-arizona/

18 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

So Arizona can make a decision in 24 hours but we drag it out for a month? cool cool

Only $7.5mill buyout and a far worse record for Stumblin at Arizona  (9 wins & 19 losses)

Also a  70 - 7  home loss to your rival last night.

Edited by LTtxfan

11 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Kane Wommack to South Alabama. 
that’s a damn good hire 

Agree... KW is a great hire

Earlier coaching search article...

Update on South Alabama’s search for its next head coach

By John Brice -    December 11, 2020 

Multiple sources with direct knowledge of the process tell FootballScoop.com that South Alabama’s search for its next head coach is winding towards a close.  The Jaguars, who fired Steve Campbell Sunday after he had won just nine games in three seasons, have conducted a brisk search throughout this week that featured initial interviews before Wednesday and more in-depth, full-scale candidate sessions on Thursday and today.

With a brand-new stadium, a great recruiting base and in a football-crazed state, the South Alabama post has elicited strong interest from across college football – including a pair of former Southeastern Conference coaches, ex-Florida coach Jim McElwain and former Tennessee head coach Butch Jones, who interviewed for the position sources tell FootballScoop. McElwain is presently head coach at Central Michigan, and Jones is assistant to the head coach, Nick Saban, at Alabama and works closely with wide receivers.

Yet from the outset current Indiana defensive coordinator Kane Wommack, with a previous stint as the Jaguars’ defensive play-caller, has been the front-runner, and sources have indicated Wommack’s status as a strong candidate for the job has not changed. Former Southern Cal offensive coordinator, Mobile, Alabama, native and current Tennessee Vols passing game coordinator Tee Martin also has gotten two interviews and been firmly in the top-tier mix at South Alabama.

Despite coaches pointing to the COVID-19 pandemic as reason offenses largely are dominating college football this season, Wommack’s Indiana stop-unit is allowing a mere 362 yards per game and less than 20 points per game. It’s a five-point improvement from Wommack’s first year as coordinator in 2019, when the Hoosiers’ marks still registered as some of the program’s best since 1993. Wommack’s first coordinated unit for Indiana ranked in the nation’s top-50 in a bevy categories and landed 12th for most defensive touchdowns scored.

Kansas offensive coordinator Brent Dearmon, a former Alabama high school coach, also has been linked to the job. We have heard Dearmon mentioned both as a potential head coaching candidate and as a potential offensive coordinator candidate as well.

Alabama running backs coach Charles Huff has also received consideration. Huff’s strong track record at multiple Power-5 programs, as well as his present run of excellent work with Alabama’s running backs group, has not gone unnoticed by college football executives, sources told FootballScoop.com.  In addition to these guy (mentioned above) South is also considering and has interviewed a few other SEC assistant coaches. 

Barring any snags, sources indicated to FootballScoop.com that the position was expected to be filled in the next 24 to 72 hours.  The initial early signing period opens Wednesday and runs through next Friday before the NCAA dead period descends on recruiting.

https://footballscoop.com/news/update-on-south-alabamas-search-for-its-next-head-coach/

Edited by LTtxfan

Butch Jones credits Alabama experience for helping him land Arkansas State head-coaching job 

Arkansas State hired Butch Jones as its new head coach Saturday, an opportunity the former Tennessee coach told ESPN he was "thankful and humbled" to be getting.  

Jones worked this season as a special assistant to Alabama head coach Nick Saban, after spending the previous two seasons as an offensive analyst on the Crimson Tide's staff. Jones said the time he spent with Saban was invaluable.  "I got emotional in the locker room after the game," said Jones, who went directly to the Arkansas State campus in Jonesboro, Arkansas, following Alabama's 52-3 win at Arkansas on Saturday.  "Those kids at Alabama mean so much to me, and what Coach Saban and Ms. Terry (Saban's wife) did not only for me, but my family, I'll never be able to repay them," Jones said. "Everybody at Alabama, from day one, welcomed me with open arms, and it's an experience that helped me get back to leading a program again." 

Jones, who was in the running for the Rutgers and Colorado State head-coaching jobs a year ago, said having the chance to work so closely with Saban will make him a much more complete coach in his fourth head-coaching stop.  Jones spent five seasons as coach of the Volunteers, going 34-27, though just 14-24 in the SEC. Jones led the Vols to consecutive nine-win seasons in 2015 and 2016 -- including Tennessee's only win over Florida in the past 16 meetings, and the Vols' only two wins over Georgia in the past 11 -- but was fired with two games left in the 2017 season with a 4-6 record. Tennessee would finish that season 0-8 in SEC play.

Before that Jones had successful stints at Cincinnati (23-14 in three seasons, including a Big East conference championship in 2011) and Central Michigan (27-13). Jones' teams have gone to bowl games in eight of his 11 seasons as a head coach.  "You learn so much from every stop along the way, and you always work to apply what you've learned to the next place," Jones said. "But when you have the opportunity to go inside a program like Alabama's and be around arguably the best college coach that has ever coached the game, every day is a clinic."

Jones joins Lane Kiffin, Mike Locksley and Mario Cristobal as former head coaches who worked under Saban and then went on to land other head-coaching opportunities.  Jones replaces Blake Anderson at Arkansas State. Anderson left to take the Utah State head-coaching job after seven seasons with a 51-37 record and two Sun Belt championships. The Red Wolves have been one of the most consistent programs in the conference, though they slipped to 4-7 this year.  "Butch Jones' outstanding record of success at both the [Group of 5] and [Power 5] levels is evident, and we're excited to having him leading our football program into the future," Arkansas State athletic director Terry Mohajir said in a statement. "He is the only coach over the last 12 years to lead Tennessee to back-to-back nine win seasons, and he led Cincinnati and Central Michigan to four conference championships over a six-year period.

"Butch has also worked with one of the most-well-respected coaches in history in Nick Saban the last three years at Alabama. Our candidate pool was fantastic, but following extensive and positive conversations with Butch, while also looking at his winning history, coaching and leadership abilities and vision for our program, we became confident he was the clear choice to be our next head coach.".

Jones was able to meet with the Arkansas State team on Saturday evening.  "It was great to be back in front of a room," Jones said. "I coveted being a head coach again, but you're always looking for that right fit. This was the right fit."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

13 minutes ago, trza-hawk said:

If Lovie Smith can be fired from Illinois that basically means that any coach can be fired from any school at any time.

7 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Explain. They fucking suck and his record is abysmal, even for Illinois. 

This.  17-39 over 5 years gets you fired most places.  Remember a lot of people thinking that was a pretty good hire at the time too.

This.  17-39 over 5 years gets you fired most places.  Remember a lot of people thinking that was a pretty good hire at the time too.

Yep. Plus they overpaid him for the name. $2 million buyout this year, and they will pay the next coach way less. Probably still balances the expected cost for next year and lowers every year after.

1 hour ago, Radical Larry said:

Leipold, Monken expected among top candidates at Illinois

By John Brice -   December 13, 2020

The first Big Ten domino has fallen.

Well-liked and highly respected veteran football coach Lovie Smith is out at Illinois, just a year after a bit of a breakthrough-season for Smith atop the program when he knocked off top-10 Wisconsin and guided the Illini to a bowl berth.

Yet Illinois never generated any lasting momentum from its mid-season turnaround in 2019, when the win against then-No. 6 Wisconsin was part of the program’s four-game winning streak.

After losing its final three games a year ago, Illinois is just 2-5 this season in the Big Ten’s abbreviated, league-only play; Smith’s group owns back-to-back wins last month against Rutgers and Nebraska.

Where can Illinois turn?

“That’s a decent job, not a great job; but it should be a lot better than it is,” a veteran college coach with experience in multiple Power-5 conferences told FootballScoop.com on Sunday morning.

Here’s an early look at names to watch in Urbana-Champaign, Illinois:

Jeff Monken, Army head coach. A Peoria, Illinois native, the 53-year-old Monken has been a winner at every stop – and he just helped Army post its fourth win in five years against rival Navy on Saturday. The Black Knights, amidst this crazed COVID-19 pandemic season, are 8-2 with just losses this year to undefeated Cincinnati and Tulane. A year ago Monken’s Army squad took then-top-10 Michigan to overtime in Ann Arbor, Michigan, before losing by a field goal; in 2018, Monken led Army to a spectacular 11-win season.

His proven track record of consistent success, deep-rooted ties in the state of Illinois and his disciplined approach all make Monken a keen candidate for the Illinois job. His father, Mike, and brother, Tom, also have deep ties in Illinois with stints as high school football coaches in the state.

Lance Leipold, Buffalo. The dude can flat-out coach and absolutely just flat-out wins ballgames. His six NCAA D-III national championships at Wisconsin-Whitewater make Leipold a household name across much of the Midwest, but his work now with Buffalo is perhaps even stronger. The Bulls are undefeated as they roar towards the MAC championship bout and Leipold is the architect of that program’s resurgence.

Bret Bielema, NY Giants OLB coach. Yet another Illinois native, Bielema is from Prophetstown, Bielema owns previous success in the Big Ten during his time atop Wisconsin that included Big Ten Coach of the Year honors. Bielema already was in the mix this coaching cycle at Southern Miss but opted at that time to remain an NFL assistant. His teams always play with great physicality and a rugged, hard-hitting approach. Bielema is a blue-collar coach who has in the past shown a knack for success as an underdog.

Jim McElwain, Central Michigan. McElwain has been a stabilizing force as a head coach at Colorado State and Florida, and a year ago in his first atop the Central Michigan program, McElwain took the Chippewas to the postseason as well as an appearance in the MAC Championship Game amidst an eight-win campaign. McElwain also had great success as an offensive coordinator under Nick Saban at Alabama, and, oh by the way, McElwain is the coach responsible for Kyle Trask now being a Florida Gators sensation. It’s McElwain who discovered Trask in the Texas high school ranks.

Barry Odom, Arkansas defensive coordinator. In addition to his primary role as defensive coordinator, Odom is first-year Arkansas coach Sam Pittman’s assistant head coach and served in the lead chair earlier this season when Pittman was forced to miss time due to COVID-19. Odom had solid success in a short run at Missouri, his alma mater, and, aside from a brutal showing Saturday against top-ranked Alabama, Odom’s undermanned defense largely has been a bright spot this season for the Razorbacks.

On 12/10/2020 at 4:15 PM, pops said:

Breaking: Utah State’s Anderson makes key hire

By John Brice -  December 12, 2020

New Utah State coach Blake Anderson is set to make one of his first key hires.

Sources told FootballScoop.com that Anderson has tabbed Central Florida co-offensive coordinator Anthony Tucker for the Aggies’ offensive coordinator role on Anderson’s new staff.

After it had fired Gary Andersen in October on the heels of an 0-3 start, Utah State conducted an extensive search led by Glenn Sugiyama of DHR International that culminated late this week when Utah State selected Anderson from a pool of finalists following Blake Anderson’s long and successful run at Arkansas State.

In Tucker, Blake Anderson is reuniting with a former colleague. Tucker was on Anderson’s Arkansas State staffs in 2013, 14 and 15; he coached running backs his final two seasons with the Red Wolves after coaching wideouts in his initial season.

Tucker played at Fresno State and in addition to being a keen offensive addition for Anderson’s inaugural staff, Tucker also has honed a reputation as an excellent recruiter.

44 minutes ago, DeadArmadillo said:

You know another place where Kevin Steele coached besides Auburn?

Baylor

You know who else coached at Baylor?

Art Briles

Following the natural progression, it’s clear that CAB ends up at Auburn. I hear a bunch of big money War Eagle boosters are gonna make it happen

Doubtful but if Briles were to surface at Auburn, I would definitely watch the aTm vs Auburn game. Besides, I thought Briles and Tech was a done deal.

It's pretty amazing, but it's gotten to the point that if you last long enough as a major football coach, you will have earned enough for several generations of your family to be rich.  I don't imagine DKR's family is rich because of his successful stint at Texas, yet a guy who gets fired after 8 years at the 'Barn now is sitting on a huge fortune.  Mind bottling.  Imagine 40-50 years from now when Gus's, Mack's, or Harbaugh's adult grandchildren are explaining where their family money came from.  Weird way to become old money, if it works out like that.

Edited by J.R. Juniors Junior Jr.

1 hour ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

It's pretty amazing, but it's gotten to the point that if you last long enough as a major football coach, you will have earned enough for several generations of your family to be rich.  I don't imagine DKR's family is rich because of his successful stint at Texas, yet a guy who gets fired after 8 years at the 'Barn now is sitting on a huge fortune.  Mind bottling.  Imagine 40-50 years from now when Gus's, Mack's, or Harbaugh's adult grandchildren are explaining where their family money came from.  Weird way to become old money, if it works out like that.

Best example is Barry Switzer and Bob Stoops.  Both coached at the same football power for about the same number of years.  Switzer retired comfortably in Norman, Oklahoma.  Bob Stoops retired with 3 different $5M houses and flies private between them all.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Update at Texas Tech

By Zach Barnett -    December 13, 2020

Texas Tech is heavily considering parting ways with head coach Matt Wells, sources told FootballScoop on Sunday.

Sources said Texas Tech’s administration has been deliberating a move for more than a week, and a final outcome has not been determined at this time. The Red Raiders completed a 4-6 regular season with a 16-13 win over Kansas on Dec. 5; the December signing period opens Wednesday.

Wells signed a 6-year, $18.8 million contract ahead of the 2019 season that would require Texas Tech to pay him 70 percent of the remaining deal should the school fire him now. That would equate to $9.1 million, subject to offset by future employment.

In the event the school does move on, the search has the potential to be long and messy.  AD Kirby Hocutt is in an interesting position right now. The Red Raiders’ men’s basketball and baseball teams are among the national elite, but the remainder of the athletics department is in various stages of turmoil. Hocutt dismissed women’s basketball coach Marlene Stollings in August following an exposé which revealed a culture of abuse inside the program, and softball coach Adrian Gregory resigned six weeks later after a similar pattern emerged inside that program.

It’s with that backdrop that a civil war has the potential to break out over Art Briles.  An alum and former Red Raiders running backs coach, Briles has not coached in college football since 2015, but a group of moneyed boosters has loudly argued for a return to his alma mater. Just last week a prominent Baylor alum released the results of an investigation into Briles’s dismissal from Baylor, which the pro-Briles camp will argue clears the deck for his return to major college football. The 65-year-old is now the head coach at Mount Vernon High School in northeast Texas. His team lost in the Class 3A Division I semifinals on Friday. Sources confirmed to FootballScoop.com that Briles has been vetted by multiple other Power-5 programs since he exited Baylor five years ago.

Hocutt’s track record on football hires has not been stellar. A former Big 8 linebacker himself, Hocutt hired Kliff Kingsbury and Wells, two moves that have seen the Red Raiders go a combined 24-48 in Big 12 play over the past eight seasons. While he had widespread support to bring home Kingsbury, the prolific former Tech quarterback and fresh off helping Johnny Manziel lead a maroon revival at Texas A&M, Hocutt’s hiring of Wells was not popular with donors or fans at the time and has grown less so since.

If the school does fire Wells and if the pro-Briles faction can be resisted, an open Texas Tech search could go a number of ways. The Red Raiders could look to stay in-state with successful former Texas high school coaches who have moved up the college ranks in UTSA head coach Jeff Traylor or Baylor associate head coach Joey McGuire or look outside the state to Tulsa’s Philip Montgomery, a longtime Briles lieutenant without the baggage. Montgomery’s Tulsa team will play Cincinnati for the AAC championship on Saturday.

Another name rising in coaching circles and with experience at Texas Tech is former Red Raiders defensive assistant Karl Scott, presently coaching defensive backs for Nick Saban’s top-ranked Alabama squad. Scott was well-liked at TTU, has recruited and developed players and already this offseason elicited interest from Southern Miss and Louisiana-Monroe.

Whatever direction Texas Tech happens to move, the focus needs to be on aiding a defense that has ranked seventh or lower in scoring defense in the Big 12 for 11 straight seasons.

Edited by LTtxfan

28 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Best example is Barry Switzer and Bob Stoops.  Both coached at the same football power for about the same number of years.  Switzer retired comfortably in Norman, Oklahoma.  Bob Stoops retired with 3 different $5M houses and flies private between them all.  

Damn. And he probably didn't get a chance to cash in on the mega contracts. Must be nice.