CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

They’re seriously going to fire Wells after 2 seasons??

Is Auburn a possibility? They wouldn’t give a shit about his past. It’s the SEC

Sounds like they are making wells fire his OC and keeping him. 

Also lost chuckle keeton back to utah state and their new head coach. He was officially listed as a GA but I think he was working with both the QBs and the TEs. Not positive,  though. 

Interesting... 🤔

Sources: Kentucky has its new OC

By John Brice -    December 15, 2020

Kentucky coach Mark Stoops appears to have wrapped up his search for Eddie Gran’s replacement as Wildcats offensive coordinator.  Sources on Tuesday told FootballScoop.com that Stoops had zeroed in on Liam Coen, the Los Angeles Rams’ assistant quarterbacks coach.

Coen is the biggest piece of the offseason offensive staff puzzle for Stoops and Kentucky. Stoops dismissed both Gran and Darin Hinshaw in the immediate aftermath of the Wildcats’ 4-6 2020 season. The offense struggled for consistency and averaged just 21. 7 points per game.

Coen brings with him an NFL approach and three years’ experience working under noted NFL head coach and offensive guru Sean McVay. The Rams are 9-4 and battling for the top spot in the NFC West with four games left in the regular season, which concludes on Jan. 3, 2021.  Coen, who played collegiately at UMass, was Maine’s offensive coordinator before venturing into the NFL.

We will have more on the coming hire once more about the timing is known.

Justin Fuentes survives to coach another year at Virginia Tech...

Virginia Tech AD Whit Babcock explains his decision to keep football coach Justin Fuente

Mike Barber   16 hrs ago

With football coach Justin Fuente on Monday morning, the Virginia Tech athletics director already was strongly leaning toward keeping Fuente as the Hokies’ leader. What he heard during that marathon session, he said, only reinforced his decision.

So Tuesday, Babcock announced his support for Fuente, who is 5-6 this year after ending the regular season with a win over rival UVA on Saturday night.

“Will this decision be right? I have no earthly idea. I think it will, I believe it will,” Babcock said. “Football is important here. We must and will do better. Failure is simply not an option, that is crystal clear to me, to Justin and everyone here. That is the standard and that’s what we signed up for.”

During a one-hour press conference that included a 23-minute opening statement, Babcock stressed that the decision to retain Fuente was a not a financial one. The coach would have been owed a $10 million buyout had Tech fired him on Tuesday.

“The decision on Justin’s future here was never made about money,” Babcock said said. “Yes, we are in a bind financially, and yes, there’s buyouts, but we were determined to make the right decision either way, because I cannot imagine a working relationship where you have to have somebody around you don’t believe in that you just keep for money. So that was absolutely not the case.”

Babcock shot down a rumor that he had a donor or donors lined up to pay the buyout if he fired Fuente.  “I didn’t make a single call or connection with anybody to say, ‘Hey if we make a change will you pay for this?’” Babcock said. “I feel like we should be able to pay our own payroll and contracts, and I guess if we had made the decision to make a change I may have contacted some about that, but no, that is false.”

Babcock said that while he understands a segment of the fan base wanted a change, his decision was that Fuente is still the right coach for the Hokies.  “That’s the easy out,” Babcock said. “Not here. Not this year. I don’t believe that’s right. That’s not how we are going to do it just because it’s easier and pacifies some of the vocal opinions and social media mob.”

The mob’s anger stems from Fuente’s 19-18 record the past three seasons, from losses to Old Dominion, Virginia and Liberty during that time, and from the possibility that the program’s beloved bowl streak will end this season after 27 straight appearances in postseason games.

There is no win requirement for bowls this year, and Babcock said no decision has been made if the team would accept an invitation or chose to end its season, an undeniably long and trying year played under strict COVID-19 protocols.

Babcock revealed that at least half, maybe as many as three-quarters, of Tech’s roster contracted the virus this year, plus eight of 10 coaches.

Babcock declined to answer if there would be any changes to Fuente’s staff, preferring to let the coach address that when he speaks to the media on Wednesday, the start of the NCAA’s early-signing period for recruits. But Babcock indicated that both coordinators, Brad Cornelsen on offense and Justin Hamilton on defense, would be back.

Among the factors Babcock cited for retaining Fuente — hired away from Memphis after the 2015 season — was the team’s effort level in the 33-15 win over UVA on Saturday night, a victory that allowed the Hokies to reclaim the Commonwealth Cup, a trophy they had held for 15 years before last season’s loss.  “The last few weeks we’ve been able to evaluate the spirit and morale of the team,” Babcock said. “I’m really proud of them. It tells you a lot how they finished on Saturday night.”

Babcock also used much of Tuesday’s press conference to ask donors to continue to back the program, imploring them, “Don’t tear it down. Some will continue to try to tear and never stop just to justify their previous position of thinking that we needed to make a change.”

But Babcock also drew the ire of fans on social media for an apparently off-handed quip aimed at those who say they are going to stop donating to the program.  “If you are able to participate, we now need you more than ever,” Babcock said. “We have 20,000 donors strong and working our way up. Those that threaten publicly usually don’t give that much, but we do know some of you feel that you can’t invest in us. It is a gift, we will receive it when you are ready to give it.”

Considering the financial losses Tech — like all college athletic departments — has sustained during the pandemic, those gifts figure to be more crucial than ever, especially since Babcock has pledged to continue with his plan of ramping up the football program’s budget, support staff and facilities.  “We have a comprehensive plan through athletics, through fundraising, through the university, that we are very close on that will take us from the middle- or lower-third overall budget in the ACC to the top-third,” Babcock said.

And at least, that’s where Tech would like to see its football team finish in the conference standings.

https://richmond.com/sports/college/virginia-tech-ad-whit-babcock-explains-his-decision-to-keep-football-coach-justin-fuente/article_5976ee0f-dc96-5d72-98c1-2691be125096.html

Edited by LTtxfan

On 12/14/2020 at 4:20 PM, UTEX_ME said:

another easy yearly win for aggy.. damn 'mighty' SEC West is crumbling. If cajun cookie monster turns out to be a one hit wonder, then all they gotta do is wait for Saban to retire. 

Somehow, aggy will furk up on the waiting game, & allow some other western team to usurp them (Arkansas)...

Update at Illinois

By Zach Barnett -  December 16, 2020

Illinois conducted multiple interviews for its vacant head coaching position Monday and Tuesday and sources told FootballScoop that Bret Bielema was among them.

Bielema, of course, is well known in Big Ten country for his long run as Wisconsin’s defensive coordinator and head coach. Taking over for Hall of Fame coach-turned-AD Barry Alvarez, Bielema went 68-24 with three AP Top 10 finishes and three Rose Bowl trips. He left after the 2012 season to become the head coach at Arkansas, where he lasted five seasons.

Bielema then spent two seasons with the New England Patriots and is now the outside linebackers coach for the New York Giants.  Bielema played at Iowa and grew up in Prophetstown, Ill., near the Iowa border.  “He was always willing to share his opinions, and he was very goal-oriented,” Bielema’s high school English teacher Jean Bliss told the Quad City Times upon his promotion to Wisconsin’s head coach in 2006. “It doesn’t surprise me that he’s gone on to do great things.”

Sources said Bielema has a strong interest in becoming a head coach again and is prepared jump on the right opportunity. 

As an indicator of the level of interest in the Illinois job, other candidates linked to the job are Army head coach Jeff Monken, Wake Forest head coach Dave Clawson and Buffalo head coach Lance Leipold. Monken and Leipold’s teams have games this weekend — Army hosts Air Force for the Commander-in-Chief’s Trophy on Saturday; Leipold and Buffalo meet Ball State for the MAC championship on Friday night — while Clawson will lead Wake in an as-yet-determined bowl game.

We understand other candidates are involved in the search as well.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Update at Illinois

By Zach Barnett -  December 16, 2020

Bielema played at Iowa and grew up in Prophetstown, Ill., near the Iowa border.  “He was always willing to share his opinions, and he was very goal-oriented,” Bielema’s high school English teacher Jean Bliss told the Quad City Times upon his promotion to Wisconsin’s head coach in 2006. “Even though he's a fat fucking retard, it doesn’t surprise me that he’s gone on to do great things beyond just eating dicks.”

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

11 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Navy's offense looked like shit against Army, but it'd be interesting to see how it'd work out in the Pac. My guess is not good with P5 athletes on defense.

Supposedly the Navy coach would run whatever offense matches his personnel... not committed to triple option

https://footballscoop.com/news/update-at-arizona-where-a-familiar-name-returns/ 

"Niumatalolo runs the triple offense at Navy because that’s the offense that fits with Navy, not because he’s personally devoted to that specific offense. While it’s natural to assume the opposite (especially since Paul Johnson brought the triple with him from Navy to Georgia Tech), the belief within the coaching industry is that Niumatalolo would design his offense to fit whatever school he worked at, not the other way around."

13 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Supposedly the Navy coach would run whatever offense matches his personnel... not committed to triple option

"Niumatalolo runs the triple offense at Navy because that’s the offense that fits with Navy, not because he’s personally devoted to that specific offense. While it’s natural to assume the opposite (especially since Paul Johnson brought the triple with him from Navy to Georgia Tech), the belief within the coaching industry is that Niumatalolo would design his offense to fit whatever school he worked at, not the other way around."

I think that's a bad idea (when you factor the issues of players entering the transfer portal & all nowadays) just stick to a system, but "modify"...

Is Arizona a good job?

Serious question.

How do you win there?

What’s the formula?

Get the SoCal 3*’s and below that weren’t taken by Cali schools+Oregon, and try and keep the 4 and 5 *’s form Arizona?

A ‘System guy’ coach that uses Air Raid or Triple Option? Rich Rod had some success, I guess.

I don’t have enough info to have an opinion. Curious if anyone else does.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Interesting. And at a Pac school you know they'd be hoping he could recruit Poly athletes so he could actually field real linemen, not skinny service academy kids.

4 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

Is Arizona a good job?

Serious question.

How do you win there?

What’s the formula?

Get the SoCal 3*’s and below that weren’t taken by Cali schools+Oregon, and try and keep the 4 and 5 *’s form Arizona?

A ‘System guy’ coach that uses Air Raid or Triple Option? Rich Rod had some success, I guess.

I don’t have enough info to have an opinion. Curious if anyone else does.

No

But, a 5-star Tucson native like Bijan Robinson can probably answer your question in more detail as to why.

On 12/14/2020 at 5:37 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

Auburn’s boosters like a HC that will let them meddle.

So Steele is being considered....

Also:   Sources indicate Louisiana coach Billy Napier, South Carolina’s first interview last month after the Gamecocks’ firing of Will Muschamp, continues to be a coach of interest for Auburn, which now is using Parker Executive Search to assist in its quest for a new head coach.

Alabama offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian, who last year was involved in the searches at both Colorado and Mississippi State before electing to remain on Saban’s Alabama staff, is another name to watch with the Tigers’ opening.

Additionally, sources tell FootballScoop that Auburn has interviews scheduled this weekend with prospective head coaching candidates.

The Tigers might wind up hiring Kevin Steele; but if they do so, it will be after having considered some of the best coaches in the country.

Edited by LTtxfan

Damn, former sooner assistant is once again a bust...

Purdue making change at defensive coordinator

By Zach Barnett -  December 17, 2020

Purdue has fired defensive coordinator Bob Diaco, the program announced Thursday.

Brohm quietly shopped the position over the past few days, sources told FootballScoop. He will be prepared to bring in a new defensive leader quickly.  Purdue, 2-4 on the season, stands at sixth in the Big Ten in yards per play and seventh in scoring, surrendering 29.8 points per game. The Boilermakers dropped four straight games, allowing 33.8 points per game in the process.

Diaco was in his first season as Purdue’s defensive coordinator, working alongside fourth year co-defensive coordinator Anthony Poindexter.

So Steele is being considered....

Also:   Sources indicate Louisiana coach Billy Napier, South Carolina’s first interview last month after the Gamecocks’ firing of Will Muschamp, continues to be a coach of interest for Auburn, which now is using Parker Executive Search to assist in its quest for a new head coach.

Alabama offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian, who last year was involved in the searches at both Colorado and Mississippi State before electing to remain on Saban’s Alabama staff, is another name to watch with the Tigers’ opening.

Additionally, sources tell FootballScoop that Auburn has interviews scheduled this weekend with prospective head coaching candidates.

The Tigers might wind up hiring Kevin Steele; but if they do so, it will be after having considered some of the best coaches in the country.

Sark?

War Chivas Regal!

Arizona: According to a tweet from Jason Scheer, there is mutual interest between Arizona and Boise State head coach Bryan Harsin and there is a “legitimate chance he interviews.

So much for home boy wanting to stay in Boise.

Arizona isn't where I'd go if I were Harsin, but I guess they'll have low expectations after aggy Sumlin's tenure.

Arizona: According to a tweet from Jason Scheer, there is mutual interest between Arizona and Boise State head coach Bryan Harsin and there is a “legitimate chance he interviews.

8 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

So much for home boy wanting to stay in Boise.

Arizona isn't where I'd go if I were Harsin, but I guess they'll have low expectations after aggy Sumlin's tenure.

It's early on and it never hurts to kick tires especially if it involves shoring up your own job security. I think Harsin in Tucson would make the Arizona-Arizona State game relevant in due time.

24 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

It's early on and it never hurts to kick tires especially if it involves shoring up your own job security. I think Harsin in Tucson would make the Arizona-Arizona State game relevant in due time.

Don't get me wrong - I like Harsin. He's probably a better fit for UT than the immature frat boy we have now.