"it's time for hunters to leave the NRA"

Gil Bang

55 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

My model 1100 is 45 years old, looks brand new, and has never misfired ----- and I shoot a lot of hand-reloaded shells.  Of course, I seriously clean it up after every outing. 

it's people like you who *should* own firearms. doin' it right

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

This. And I would add the Nylon 66, still the best gun I've ever owned or ever will. 

So true - granted it was the day before they get their shipment, but I was in my local academy last week and the ONLY rifle ammo on the shelf was.17HMR

I love the Nylon 66. My Mom has my grandfathers, and it's maybe the only thing I genuinely care about inheriting when she's gone. It's the Black/Stainless one. I had the Brown/blued barrel version, but right before I moved to Austin from Port Arthur, my house got robbed and they stole it. I'm still bitter 31 years later. Not a gun that was easy to break down and clean, but man, that thing was smooth as a sewing machine. 

5 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I love the Nylon 66. My Mom has my grandfathers, and it's maybe the only thing I genuinely care about inheriting when she's gone. It's the Black/Stainless one. I had the Brown/blued barrel version, but right before I moved to Austin from Port Arthur, my house got robbed and they stole it. I'm still bitter 31 years later. Not a gun that was easy to break down and clean, but man, that thing was smooth as a sewing machine. 

My uncle has my grandpa's Nylon 66 - same black/stainless.  I'm sure neither of my cousins care about it a bit.  Maybe I should make my appreciation known...

24 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Mine's a "Black Diamond." Black stock, blue/black barrel and receiver, and I've had it since 1983 (IIRC).

Gun abuse story follows:
I've never cleaned it once. Literally not ever. In about 1998-99, I put a trigger lock on it and stuck in in the back of a closet where it stayed until this March. Ridiculous, I know. In March I pulled it out, drilled the lock and took it with me out to my friend's land where I was going to mess around with a Mini-14 I had just acquired. I figured I'd see how it performed when I got done with the .223. Much to my chagrin, while I was shooting the Ruger, somebody (me) knocked over the box of .22LRs and spilled them into the dirt. 
I was in kind of a fuck it mood that day, and loaded these dirty shells straight into the the tube magazine over and over and wound up sending 150 rounds after some cans in rapid succession. The Remington cycled flawlessly and ejected the sand right along with the brass. 

\It's the opposite of today's gun culture. It's all purpose and no attitude or puffery. For what it is, it's a perfect firearm. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, ryskey said:

My first 870 cost about $275, if I remember right.  Got it with money saved up in high school working at a gas station.  I think I put a couple thousand rounds through that thing over about 15 years.  Barbecue + too much booze makes some seriously corrosive sweat the next day, particularly during those hot September days at the start of dove season - the stock and pump looked like someone had poured acid on them.  Looked like shit at the end but still worked perfectly.  Gave it to a younger cousin.

So they seriously stopped making it?  That's like if Chick Fil A stopped selling chicken nuggets.

They still make it, but quality has gone downhill.  And definitely spend the extra money on an 870 Wingmaster as opposed to the clunky and heavy 870 Express.

That said, during college, I went with at least 3 buddies on their trip to buy an 870 Express, their first gun ever, so they could go hunting with me.

• 2 weeks later...

NY A.G. files lawsuit to dissolve the NRA 

:)

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/06/899712823/new-york-attorney-general-moves-to-dissolve-the-nra-after-fraud-investigation

The Attorney General of New York took action today to dissolve the National Rifle Association, following an 18-month investigation that found evidence the powerful gun rights group is "fraught with fraud and abuse."

Attorney General Letitia James claims in a lawsuit filed Thursday that she found financial misconduct in the millions of dollars, and that it contributed to a loss of more than $64 million over a three year period.

The suit alleges that top NRA executives misused charitable funds for personal gain, awarded contracts to friends and family members, and provided contracts to former employees to ensure loyalty.

Edited by SmokeyTheBear

Just now, SmokeyTheBear said:

NY A.G. files lawsuit to dissolve the NRA 

:)

You're smiling? As far as I can tell, this is about the worst thing the Democrats could have possibly fucking done right now. It will be spun as an attack on your guns, it will galvanize a bunch of Rs who might have been willing to sit it out, and it's going to be framed as a direct attack on YOUR RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS AND OWN GUNS. 

Democrats can't stop shooting themselves in the dick.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

You're smiling? As far as I can tell, this is about the worst thing the Democrats could have possibly fucking done right now. It will be spun as an attack on your guns, it will galvanize a bunch of Rs who might have been willing to sit it out, and it's going to be framed as a direct attack on YOUR RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS AND OWN GUNS. 

Unfortunately, this.

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Maybe so. But justice should be done regardless of political issues. When we stop justice because of politics, we become the Trump administration. 

*also, hoping that this will open up if/where money was funneled from and/to within the NRA. Which could include the GOP and Trump officials. 

Edited by SmokeyTheBear
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, SmokeyTheBear said:

Maybe so. But justice should be done regardless of political issues. When we stop justice because of politics, we become the Trump administration. 

Yeah. There's lots of ways to handle this. Do it all in February. Or don't threaten to dissolve the NRA and simply go after the guilty parties for criminal behavior. Even threaten to remove their non profit status. Don't fucking say "Dissolve the NRA."

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Maybe.  But the right is already whipping up its base with SECOND AMENDMENT!!! GUNS!!! EAGLE! FLAG!  JUDGES!!!!!  I'm not sure that presenting evidence that the NRA is engaged in fraud and is stealing from its members changes any votes that weren't already in the bag for them.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/06/899712823/new-york-attorney-general-moves-to-dissolve-the-nra-after-fraud-investigation

The Attorney General of New York took action today to dissolve the National Rifle Association, following an 18-month investigation that found evidence the powerful gun rights group is "fraught with fraud and abuse."

Attorney General Letitia James claims in a lawsuit filed Thursday that she found financial misconduct in the millions of dollars, and that it contributed to a loss of more than $64 million over a three year period.

The suit alleges that top NRA executives misused charitable funds for personal gain, awarded contracts to friends and family members, and provided contracts to former employees to ensure loyalty.

So they were just the Trump organization with guns?

21 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You think gun voters were going to otherwise sit this one out?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Maybe.  But the right is already whipping up its base with SECOND AMENDMENT!!! GUNS!!! EAGLE! FLAG!  JUDGES!!!!!  I'm not sure that presenting evidence that the NRA is engaged in fraud and is stealing from its members changes any votes that weren't already in the bag for them.

This is true, but I worry about Trump quickly spinning it into "Dems coming for your guns" all through the campaign. That resonates with low-info and bad-info swing state voters, who won't read a word about the actual lawsuit(s) but just hear the distorted message.

1 minute ago, DanRydell said:

I think it as the Trump thread, but yes, I think there's a chunk of older R voters that were happy to sit this one out in the wake of Corona that will no longer do such. My Father in Law for one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

So much this.  

The Armybrat's of the world were gonna show up for Trump anyway.   They are single-issue voters, and nothing is more important to them than their guns. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think it as the Trump thread, but yes, I think there's a chunk of older R voters that were happy to sit this one out in the wake of Corona that will no longer do such. My Father in Law for one. 

Bleh. I don't think they actually were going to sit it out. They're just trying to avoid getting their shit put on blast again.

Edited by Bevo14

Hit the message on fraud and how execs are getting rich taking advantage of smaller guys, and it will reinforce those who are already skeptical of this administration and everything else they touch. Don’t let the other side make it about guns, make it about corruption.

• Hook 'Em 1

She is.  This is about wasting money on his wife's makeup and using 500k of NRA funds to take vacation trips to the Bahamas.  The big one is his 17 million dollar post retirement contract he made for himself without board approval.  He essentially set it up to give himself 17 million once he retired.

Edited by kevwun

35 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Trump's only response was that the NRA needs to move to Texas. Not railing against the Dems or anything like that. 

Of course he may be tweeting at 2am that its time for the NRA patriots to rise up, but right now he is almost punting on it all. 

Has anybody come up with a good explanation as to why the NRA is organized in New York?

39 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Trump's only response was that the NRA needs to move to Texas. Not railing against the Dems or anything like that. 

Of course he may be tweeting at 2am that its time for the NRA patriots to rise up, but right now he is almost punting on it all. 

Aggy's gonna give him a library, aren't they. Right next to GHWB, but much bigger, the biggest, plated in gold, with a moat filled with "lib tears." 

8 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Has anybody come up with a good explanation as to why the NRA is organized in New York?

Other than it being where the organization was first formed and where some of its earliest events took place around a 150 years ago I don't have much to offer here. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, kevwun said:

She is.  This is about wasting money on his wife's makeup and using 500k of NRA funds to take vacation trips to the Bahamas.  The big one is his 17 million dollar post retirement contract he made for himself without board approval.  He essentially set it up to give himself 17 million once he retired.

OldfashionedOpenBoto-size_restricted.gif

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I question their sincerity. 

I know people like that too. Quite a lot of people care about more about this issue than anything else. A lot of those people hate Trump, but if they perceive that Republican control is the only thing maintaining the second amendment (which is a message the GOP has promoted very successfully for years), they will hold their noses and vote for Trump. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

"The Democrats forced me to vote for Trump because of this" people were always going to vote for Trump.  It is one of the bigger crocks of shit about this voters.  They're always going to find that excuse.  It's how they rationalize voting for him.

Yeah. The 2016 election should've been the lesson that these people are full of shit. That 40% has to show up somewhere.

5 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I know people like that too. Quite a lot of people care about more about this issue than anything else. A lot of those people hate Trump, but if they perceive that Republican control is the only thing maintaining the second amendment (which is a message the GOP has promoted very successfully for years), they will hold their noses and vote for Trump. 

That's probably why they were never actually going to vote for Biden. 

6 minutes ago, kevwun said:

"The Democrats forced me to vote for Trump because of this" people were always going to vote for Trump.  It is one of the bigger crocks of shit about this voters.  They're always going to find that excuse.  It's how they rationalize voting for him.

it's primarily because they are the type of voter who need a democratic bogeyman to vote rather than a candidate to vote for.

believe me, i should know, i'm the anti-republican voter now myself. biden does not excite me at all, except for the fact that he is not trump.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I question their sincerity. 

5 minutes ago, kevwun said:

These are reasonable assumptions that will apply to many.  They do not apply the two people I am referencing who are members of my family that I know extremely well.  If I had to guess, they will still vote democrat and are having a knee jerk reaction to the headlines.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Obama didn't take away the guns, but Biden is going to do it this time, honest!  You're gullible af if you fall for that bs.

Yeah, the people who actually believe Democrats can or will overturn the Second Amendment are just fucking morons. 

And as for this case, the people we put in power can either choose to uphold the law or look the other way.  If the evidence truly shows what they say it shows (I don't doubt it), then this needed to be done.  If so-called law abiding Republicans choose to vote for Trump over Biden because a state AG who happens to be a Democrat chose to enforce the law against the NRA, then those Republicans are full of shit when they talk about adherence to the law.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

In all honesty, what is it that makes them cling to guns so much?  Is it just straight fear of the world?  Probably for another thread.

4 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

If so-called law abiding Republicans choose to vote for Trump over Biden because a state AG who happens to be a Democrat chose to enforce the law against the NRA, then those Republicans are full of shit when they talk about adherence to the law.  

Exactly.  LAW AND ORDER (only for those who don't support my views)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

In all honesty, what is it that makes them cling to guns so much?  Is it just straight fear of the world?  Probably for another thread.

Let me help you here. It’s the fear of black and brown people. Gotta have the full arsenal ready for the coming race war.