"it's time for hunters to leave the NRA"

Gil Bang

4 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

FIFY. I agree in large part in your other points.

But, guns do not stop government tyranny.

That shit is going to happen regardless of whether the populous is armed. The power dynamic, resources, and technological advantage of our federal / state governments vs. common citizenry is so skewed that arming people with semi-automatic weapons does nothing to prevent abuses of power.

What guns are great at is killing people/things.

And when a populous is heavily armed and it’s difficult to vet those who have them , know how many are out there, and prevent illegal sales then we get into a situation where a lot of people end up dead.

Far more people are dead at the hands of the instruments that’s supposed to protect against gov. Tyranny. And when you look at the total # of those dead, it’s likely that it’s FAR more than what a tyrannical government could achieve (well... maybe / maybe not. But stay with me)

I think that’s the biggest irony in my mind.

The 2nd amendment and what it has become / what it has been interpreted to guarantee has created a far more tyrannical situation to the common person currently than what it was supposed to protect us from.

I'm largely with you on item 3).  However, although it is undoubtedly correct that the US government could easily quash an armed insurrection, I think it is quite conceivable that armed "protestors" doing a little shooting could raise the volume sufficiently beyond an unarmed populace that there is still a bit of traction to the idea.

Edited by TwiceHorn

5 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Can’t speak for anyone else, but I don’t hunt. I keep guns for a three reasons:

1) I think they are inherently interesting

2) I enjoy shooting

3) In the unlikely event that I need to take up arms against tyranny or protect my family from a collapse of civil order.

Indeed.

A CSB.  I am a native Texan and I hunt white tail deer, but that's about it.  I keep my rifle at my business partner's house since he has a gun safe and I don't want my kids getting into it.

So back in 2013 I participated in the Shag fall Matagorda Surf Trip and was rather uphauled at the wanton gun usage by other said participants.  They were target practicing right there on the beach. Nobody did anything ridiculously stupid or had any military grade weapons, but shit.  The funny thing was it seemed like I was the only one who didn't bring a gun to the beach.  I can only image what the non hippie UT grad dudes who are sporting the confederate truck flags are hauling down there.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm largely with you on item 3).  However, although it is undoubtedly correct that the US government could easily quash an armed insurrection, I think it is quite conceivable that armed "protestors" doing a little shooting could raise the volume sufficiently beyond an unarmed populace that there is still a bit of traction to the idea.

I guess that is true w/ the whole Cliven Bundy debacle.

But it didn't really work at Ruby Ridge and Waco... or maybe it did.

Maybe we never hear about Waco and Ruby Ridge w/out guns because the feds execute that without any resistance. But is that really tyranny. I would argue not.

Are we better off as a society when the Bundys, Koreshs, and Weavers are somehow the good guys?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Indeed.

A CSB.  I am a native Texan and I hunt white tail deer, but that's about it.  I keep my rifle at my business partner's house since he has a gun safe and I don't want my kids getting into it.

So back in 2013 I participated in the Shag fall Matagorda Surf Trip and was rather uphauled at the wanton gun usage by other said participants.  They were target practicing right there on the beach. Nobody did anything ridiculously stupid or had any military grade weapons, but shit.  The funny thing was it seemed like I was the only one who didn't bring a gun to the beach.  I can only image what the non hippie UT grad dudes who are sporting the confederate truck flags are hauling down there.

Man, I should have gone on that trip. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I clipped this part out, because in light of the AG, this is what is ultimately going on, IMO. The influence that the organization used, under the guise of "GUNS," was to funnel money not only to the leadership of the organization, but to the very abuse of power of which you speak. Another org will pop up in its place, but going after the obvious fraud is at least, at start.

How hard up were these guys that they sold out for the Russian female version of Johnny Manziel?

• Hook 'Em 1

I can't get over how great a con the GOP has going.  I mean just think of the shit they've thrown against the wall and had stick.  Unbelievable.  It's a run like Wooden at UCLA.

Stupid people are the most valuable commodity in the world.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Post Oak said:

I can't get over how great a con the GOP has going.  I mean just think of the shit they've thrown against the wall and had stick.  Unbelievable.  It's a run like Wooden at UCLA.

Dad knew a big time da then defense attorney (lots of you legal eagles would know him)

one time he was over at dinner and my dad asked him how he developed his his strategy for winning cases and he said “When I first started out I just tried to load the jury with the stupidest jurors available regardless of any other metric. It’s never stopped working.” 

20 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

I guess that is true w/ the whole Cliven Bundy debacle.

But it didn't really work at Ruby Ridge and Waco... or maybe it did.

Maybe we never hear about Waco and Ruby Ridge w/out guns because the feds execute that without any resistance. But is that really tyranny. I would argue not.

Are we better off as a society when the Bundys, Koreshs, and Weavers are somehow the good guys?

Exactly what I was thinking of.  Imagine if actual good guys did a little armed work.

Those shitheads, all of whom were in the wrong, as far as I can tell, managed to highlight oppressive government action and call into question multiple federal agencies.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 8/7/2020 at 12:47 PM, Jiggy-Z said:

Indeed.

Boats and guns both.  I have seen (extended) family and friends do shit that makes my SMDH.  "Nope, never going skiing with that motherfucker."   "Never, ever, ever will I go to a range or hunting with them..."   Keep in mind I had one of the contenders for "Fucked up family at Christmas" a few years ago because someone got shot because there was an "unloaded" gun being shown in a relative's living room.  No, I was not present.

The range of safety awareness and practice is freaking amazing.  Safety and conservation efforts should be the primary focus of a gun organization, IMHO.  The NRA ain't that.

Edited by slorch

10 hours ago, slorch said:

Boats and guns both.  I have seen (extended) family and friends do shit that makes my SMDH.  "Nope, never going skiing with that motherfucker."   "Never, ever, ever will I go to a range or hunting with them..."   Keep in mind I had one of the contenders for "Fucked up family at Christmas" a few years ago because someone got shot because there was an "unloaded" gun being shown in a relative's living room.  No, I was not present.

The range of safety awareness and practice is freaking amazing.  Safety and conservation efforts should be the primary focus of a gun organization, IMHO.  The NRA ain't that.

Sad thing is it was when I was a kid. I learned a lot from the NRA and they even certified me as a sharpshooter with a .22 rifle. Somewhere I still have the certificate.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Sad thing is it was when I was a kid. I learned a lot from the NRA and they even certified me as a sharpshooter with a .22 rifle. Somewhere I still have the certificate.

Very similar experience for me, although it was through 4-H.

The notion of someone having 10-15 ten year old boys and girls with firearms in a setting like that would make some folks' heads explode these days.  

On 8/7/2020 at 12:47 PM, Jiggy-Z said:

Indeed.

That whole trip was pretty out of control.  I got woken up from being passed out in my tent cot by someone firing off a handgun.  The trips we do to PINS now are firearm free, I like it better that way.  

On 8/7/2020 at 12:47 PM, TwiceHorn said:

The Cliven Bundy armed standoff with Federal agents (and snipers) is a relatively recent example that an armed populace can keep the Federal government in check.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundy_standoff

I'm not offering a judgement on whether they were right, wrong or whatever.  Simply stating that firearms can and have been effective in checking government force.

~~~

But within the NRA’s 5 million members are dissidents who have been clamoring for reform, only to be defeated as NRA leadership and its 76-member board of directors closed ranks behind Executive Vice-President Wayne LaPierre.

The dissidents have tried to speak for lower-income members who send some of their scarce disposable income to the NRA to defend their constitutional right to keep and bear arms.
“I’ve been trying to wake people up for years as to the corruption,” said Tim Harmsen, a lifetime NRA member and host of the Military Arms Channel online. “The NRA is broken on the inside. It needs new leadership. Wayne has to go. It’s almost as if he’s purposely trying to run the organization into the ground.”
Richard Feldman, a former NRA lobbyist who remains a member, said LaPierre should take an immediate, unpaid leave and board members who were on the oversight committees should resign.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-guns/nra-dissidents-cautiously-welcome-lawsuit-see-overhaul-as-long-overdue-idUSKCN2532X1

Other coverage of the issue:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/08/the-decline-and-fall-of-the-national-rifle-association/

https://ricochet.com/790190/waynes-world-is-crumbling/

12 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Well some kids just caught the island on fire a week or so ago, shooting. So pretty much what you’d imagine. 

Yeah its not like Matagorda is some rich island flowing with native grasses and majestic dunes like PINS.  The whole thing is pretty much subject to inundation etc.  Fireworks would do the same thing to the island as the shooting kids.

I have also had issues down there during duck hunting season.

1 minute ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Yeah its not like Matagorda is some rich island flowing with native grasses and majestic dunes like PINS.  The whole thing is pretty much subject to inundation etc.  Fireworks would do the same thing to the island as the shooting kids.

I have also had issues down there during duck hunting season.

Not sure about that comparison, but if PINS is your jam, sure. Just thought it was timely. Think one of the houses has burnt/blew up (propane?) too.  Definitely a place devoid of law.  I really should pick up one of those unincorporated 1/4 acres for $2500 or whatever.   Just in case. 

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Not sure about that comparison, but if PINS is your jam, sure. Just thought it was timely. Think one of the houses has burnt/blew up (propane?) too.  Definitely a place devoid of law.  I really should pick up one of those unincorporated 1/4 acres for $2500 or whatever.   Just in case. 

In terms of the island - this trip took place on the beach between Matagorda (town) and Sargent, about 7 miles down.  They don't clean the beach past 3 miles or so.  

Yeah I figured that’s where y’all were. I’m familiar,  those were my home waters growing up.  Pretty regularly needed 4x4 to get past 3 mile hole and that kept ALOT of the traffic down.  For a few years there around 9 miles the bars used to line up so nice.   Back when I used to frequent it was night and day cleaner than either surf side or Bryan, where anyone could access and trash it out. 

1 hour ago, bernorange said:

The Cliven Bundy armed standoff with Federal agents (and snipers) is a relatively recent example that an armed populace can keep the Federal government in check.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundy_standoff

I'm not offering a judgement on whether they were right, wrong or whatever.  Simply stating that firearms can and have been effective in checking government force.

The government made a decision that it wasn't worth the PR issue of actually responding with full force.  If they hadn't been worried about that, the Bundy's wouldn't have lasted a day, no matter what kind of arsenal they'd amassed there.  So IMO, it was the power of the media more than the Bundy's firearms that kept the government in check.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/6/2020 at 6:37 PM, slorch said:

we disagree on something, so that makes me a racist in your eyes?

Go fuck yourself.  And, yes, you're wrong on multiple fronts.

Who you are makes you one. I am sure it's not a great time to be on the wrong side of history, but here you are. You are not changing so enjoy your trip to the dustbin of history with the rest of the portion of the population who shares your outdated construct.

43 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah I figured that’s where y’all were. I’m familiar,  those were my home waters growing up.  Pretty regularly needed 4x4 to get past 3 mile hole and that kept ALOT of the traffic down.  For a few years there around 9 miles the bars used to line up so nice.   Back when I used to frequent it was night and day cleaner than either surf side or Bryan, where anyone could access and trash it out. 

It is a great place and super convenient from Austin v. PINS.  From the beach there is bay access all over the place and surf guts start getting real interesting about 6 miles down.  What I was referring to was the fact that a large grass fire on PINS would have the potential to take out a lot more vegetation, and not just because of the size of the island.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

They were not in the right to begin with, so not sure why that's a good argument.  They were on federal land and violating their grazing rights agreements, if I recall correctly.  

Yes, but that's not germane to the issue.

... The trial court rejected the Bundy clan’s self-defense theory, but, as the court wrote, “A central pillar of the government’s case was the allegation that the defendants recruited armed followers by intentionally deceiving those followers into believing that the Bundys feared for their lives because government snipers surrounded their ranch,” a charge that was touted in the government’s opening statement to the jury.

The Bundys asked for video shot by a camera they said the FBI had trained on them; the government called it a “fantastical fishing expedition,” but the camera’s existence and its live feed to the BLM command center was confirmed four days into the trial. The resulting hearing disclosed as well federal patrols “armed with AR-15 rifles” around the compound. The trial court gave the prosecution the benefit of the doubt that withholding this information was a good-faith decision, but several days later, more FBI interviews (form 302s) were disclosed discussing agents in full tactical gear watching the compound and the insertion of agents the FBI itself described as “snipers.” This only came to light after the trial judge had excluded evidence based on the government’s repeated insistence that there were no snipers. The Ninth Circuit summarized why withholding this evidence was so harmful to the Bundys’ ability to present a defense:

The defendants claim that the Bundys feared they were surrounded by heavily armed snipers. Keeping the defense from gathering as much evidence as possible to show that there was a reasonable basis to fear that snipers surrounded the property was itself harmful. ...

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/government-misconduct-frees-cliven-bundy/

On 8/7/2020 at 10:13 PM, Post Oak said:

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Who you are makes you one. I am sure it's not a great time to be on the wrong side of history, but here you are. You are not changing so enjoy your trip to the dustbin of history with the rest of the portion of the population who shares your outdated construct.

Liberty is so antiquated.

Edited by slorch

24 minutes ago, slorch said:

Liberty is so antiquated.

Being a racist masquerading as someone who cares about anyone but yourself is very antiquated. Keep sitting on those sidelines while the "soy boys and girls" keep standing on the right side of history. Feel free to share photos of the rioters and looters who are destroying 'Murica. I am sure it will make you feel better about your big bad manly red-blooded self and your destructive and outdated construct that you and millions of like-minded good 'ol boys share.

53 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

It is a great place and super convenient from Austin v. PINS.  From the beach there is bay access all over the place and surf guts start getting real interesting about 6 miles down.  What I was referring to was the fact that a large grass fire on PINS would have the potential to take out a lot more vegetation, and not just because of the size of the island.

Gotcha.  Somehow I sent you the finger trying to give you pos rep, too.  Today shaping up real nice fml.  

yeah anything past the “nude beach” buoy And the guts would deepen out. For whatever reason, at around 9 miles, there would always be a ton of shell and we would slay them.  I remember one day having to let our first 5 fish go because they were all over 25”.  We ended up with all 23 and 24” trout (limits were 10 then, we were only keeping 5 before it was cool :)) iirc we only kept 4-5 between us because they were so damn thick. 

• 3 months later...