"it's time for hunters to leave the NRA"

Gil Bang

18 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Nope

March 6, 2018 at 6:50 p.m. PST

Add to list

The Trump administration will allow Americans to bring tusks and other elephant body parts back to this country as trophies, in a pivot away from the support President Trump voiced last year for an Obama-era trophy ban.

The decision, announced quietly in a March 1 memorandum from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, withdrew previous rulings on trophy hunting and said the agency would allow sport hunters to receive permits for the trophy items on a “case-by-case basis.”

The move contrasts sharply with the position taken by Trump in November.

After the Fish and Wildlife Service announced a repeal of the ban on the importation of elephant-hunt trophies from Zimbabwe and Zambia, wide public outcry prompted Trump and Ryan Zinke, the secretary of the interior, which houses the wildlife agency, to put the repeal on hold until further review.

Trump later called elephant hunting a “horror show” and said that it would be very difficult for anyone to change his mind.

Proponents of big-game hunting and the current Interior Department leadership believe that money from permits to hunt elephants would aid in their conservation by putting more revenue in the system.  The agency’s memo cites a long-running lawsuit against the ban filed by Safari Club International and the National Rifle Association’s lobbying arm.

“The Trump administration is trying to keep these crucial trophy import decisions behind closed doors, and that’s totally unacceptable,” Tanya Sanerib, international legal director at the Center for Biological Diversity, told the Associated Press. “Elephants aren’t meant to be trophies, they’re meant to roam free.”

The president’s sons Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump are avid game hunters. A photograph of Trump Jr. holding a knife and a dead elephant’s tail after a hunt in Zimbabwe in 2011 has drawn wide attention in the past.

Honestly, as much as I dislike trophy hunting like this, it makes sense to allow the people who do to be able to bring back their trophies on a case by case basis *assuming our federal agencies are actually doing their due diligence.* Without trophy hunting, these animal have no value to the local community and are vulnerable to poaching and being killed by the locals because they are a nuisance. Trophy hunting puts actual value on these animals and provides incentive for the locals to keep them alive. Again, I don't like the idea of waltzing up and killing an elephant just to be able to brag, but the alternative is much worse. Also, the NRA, and Wayne LaPierre in particular, can eat a bag of dicks.

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Except your kid in kindergarten or teenager on a date at the movie theater will not be packing when some mentally ill person walks in and starts blasting away.  Being a victim has nothing to do with whether you have been firearm trained or not. It mostly has to do with being in the wrong place at the wrong time and unprepared for what is coming, armed or not.  The NRA is such a joke. The next time I go back to the USA, I am going to dig into storage and I am throwing my NRA marksmanship medals I got as a kid in the trash. Fuck being associated with this clown show in any way, even if it was decades ago.

• Hook 'Em 5

On 5/4/2021 at 9:04 AM, Chad Fuck said:

You’ll see corporations using Bk to avoid any number of regulations. Dumping toxic waste? No problem, we can make that go away! File your bankruptcy petition! On and on ad nauseum.

Isn’t this exactly what the Oxycontin family did?

18 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm wondering why they don't just agree to dissolve as a NY corporation and reform wherever.  Maybe James won't agree to that or there's some other something I'm not thinking of.

Does dissolving get them out of the ny state lawsuit ?

13 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Does dissolving get them out of the ny state lawsuit ?

I'm not a corporate lawyer, but the NYT quotes the NY AG as saying this:

She also said the organization “cannot reorganize in Texas” without her office’s approval, which would not be granted amid a regulatory action.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/11/us/nra-bankruptcy.html?action=click&module=In Other News&pgtype=Homepage

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bookman said:

I'm not a corporate lawyer, but the NYT quotes the NY AG as saying this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/11/us/nra-bankruptcy.html?action=click&module=In Other News&pgtype=Homepage

I am making an educated guess that they could dissolve and re-charter elsewhere, but the AG claim on assets would prevent them from being distributed to the new corporation or entity.

Thinking that a bankruptcy would completely halt the NY AGs litigation seems completely foolish.  It might not result in a fully collectible judgment for the NY AG, and might even have to be tried in bankruptcy court without a jury, but thinking you're escaping it entirely just seems dumb as shit.

39 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

U.S. Fifth Circuit

“Hold my beer...”

This is going to present quite the dilemma for the 5th Circuit.  On the one hand, I'm reasonably sure their bankruptcy philosophy is fairly anti-debtor, meaning they're going to want to find a great deal of "discretion" or leeway for dismissing for abuse.  On the other hand, they're all about allowing corporations to do unto others, so there's that.

Maybe they'll do the ultimate GQP and set up one rule for corporate debtors in Ch. 11, and another rule for individual debtors in Chs. 7 & 13.

• Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

This is going to present quite the dilemma for the 5th Circuit.  On the one hand, I'm reasonably sure their bankruptcy philosophy is fairly anti-debtor, meaning they're going to want to find a great deal of "discretion" or leeway for dismissing for abuse.  On the other hand, they're all about allowing corporations to do unto others, so there's that.

Maybe they'll do the ultimate GQP and set up one rule for corporate debtors in Ch. 11, and another rule for individual debtors in Chs. 7 & 13.

Corporations are more people than people.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I am making an educated guess that they could dissolve and re-charter elsewhere, but the AG claim on assets would prevent them from being distributed to the new corporation or entity.

Thinking that a bankruptcy would completely halt the NY AGs litigation seems completely foolish.  It might not result in a fully collectible judgment for the NY AG, and might even have to be tried in bankruptcy court without a jury, but thinking you're escaping it entirely just seems dumb as shit.

Hopefully it will expose enough of the shenanigans going on, so that members realize their donations are just funding Wayne's vacations and homes and what not, that it puts a serious crimp in their fundraising efforts going forward.

I'm actually surprised there is not a nationally-known alternative to the NRA at this point, that puts the NRA's shit on blast, and touts that most of people's donations will go towards actual gun-related stuff, and not making the executives and board members rich.  But that will never happen.

16 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Hopefully it will expose enough of the shenanigans going on, so that members realize their donations are just funding Wayne's vacations and homes and what not, that it puts a serious crimp in their fundraising efforts going forward.

I'm actually surprised there is not a nationally-known alternative to the NRA at this point, that puts the NRA's shit on blast, and touts that most of people's donations will go towards actual gun-related stuff, and not making the executives and board members rich.  But that will never happen.

I am waiting to join the National Pistol + Sackful of Frag Grenades Association. Y'all keep plinking targets, NRA; the NP+SFGA will be up inside your castle, killin your dudes.

57 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Me too. There’s millions that would be back to donating immediately. 

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm sure that the mastermind lawyer at the top of Comerica Tower in Dallas is patting Wayne on the head and telling him "this is working out great, we've got 'em right where we want them" and also, "here is our most recent invoice for the work completed through yesterday midnight, we'd appreciate a wire transfer payment before the cutoff time tomorrow."

17 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Me too. There’s millions that would be back to donating immediately. 

It's really odd.  The NRA is wounded. Wayne's spending is not playing well with many, and I'd argue the NRA leadership is not able to effectively lobby with the shitshow that's going on with their legal matters.

Form a group that does the following:

1. Stop wasting shit-tons of money on mailing efforts to people who haven't been members in decades. I still get flyers multiple times a year. Put that money into a solid platform for advocacy that will draw our interest, instead of trying to scare us about Nancy Pelosi or whatever.
  2. Don't focus on making your executive leadership really wealthy.

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

I am waiting to join the National Pistol + Sackful of Frag Grenades Association. Y'all keep plinking targets, NRA; the NP+SFGA will be up inside your castle, killin your dudes.

You jest (perhaps) but one sport that always intrigued me was biathlon. A NRA that kept things simple with marksmanship, hunter safety and education, and shooting sports might not have engaged everyone, but I doubt they'd have been in the same pickle they currently face.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I guess this is where this goes?

This kind of seems like a giant misallocation of resources on the AP's part. I mean, so long as they aren't nukes, who cares? Out of the 500 million guns we have out there, about .0000001 percent are stolen from the military? If this brings about even more security on bases then I'm all for it, but I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of those did not walk off US bases but were lost in clusterfucks in or near combat zones or on the black market overseas. I know when my son was in there was hell to pay if a single bullet was unaccounted for...

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I guess this is where this goes?

That's hard to believe given the way the whole fucking world shuts down if one Soldier/ Marine loses their rifle.  

11 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

This kind of seems like a giant misallocation of resources on the AP's part. I mean, so long as they aren't nukes, who cares? Out of the 500 million guns we have out there, about .0000001 percent are stolen from the military? If this brings about even more security on bases then I'm all for it, but I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of those did not walk off US bases but were lost in clusterfucks in or near combat zones or on the black market overseas. I know when my son was in there was hell to pay if a single bullet was unaccounted for...

I'm pretty sure the US military has lost a few nukes, too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There's about four threads this could go in.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/25/us/houston-nra-meeting-canceled-coronavirus/index.html

shocked steve harvey GIF

The National Rifle Association (NRA) announced Tuesday it has canceled its 2021 annual meeting in Houston, citing the worsening Covid-19 situation there. 

The NRA reached the "difficult decision" to call off the event after analysis of the "relevant data regarding COVID-19 in Harris County, Texas," the association said in a statement. It said it consulted with medical professionals, local officials and many members before the final decision was made.

"The NRA Annual Meeting welcomes tens of thousands of people, and involves many events, meetings, and social gatherings," the statement said. "We are mindful that NRA Annual Meeting patrons will return home to family, friends and co-workers from all over the country, so any impacts from the virus could have broader implications."

The cancellation comes as Texas is grappling with rising Covid-19 cases and shrinking ICU vacancies.

Out of all of the groups that would cancel an event over covid, I would have figured NRA would be way down the list.

Then again, the olds.