"it's time for hunters to leave the NRA"

Gil Bang

Did it a long time ago.  For many of the reasons cited in the piece.

I've done more to foster hunting by actually taking newbies hunting, introducing them to a day in the field, etc., than by the NRA's fear-mongering bullshit does.  I've created several life-long hunters that way.

Gun shows, the NRA -- they went the way of the wingnuts a long time ago.

Russia bullshit aside.

• Like 3

When I was a kid in the early 80's, our hunters' safety course was provided by the NRA. The videos and instructors were from the NRA. They'd also take kids out and teach them marksmanship. 

Take a look at their headquarters facility. It used to be a modest organization. It's gotten all out of whack. 

• Like 1

We took my 3 year old niece to the Dallas zoo a few months ago.  We thought she would like taking the rail.  I forgot that the NRA convention was in town.  Hooo-leeee shit.  The rail was packed with Trumpkins, standing room only.  Guy standing next to us had a freedom fries tattoo.  The only people I could imagine having a conversation with were the Vietnam vet biker dudes.  Average IQ on the train was probably around 70.

11 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

We took my 3 year old niece to the Dallas zoo a few months ago.  We thought she would like taking the rail.  I forgot that the NRA convention was in town.  Hooo-leeee shit.  The rail was packed with Trumpkins, standing room only.  Guy standing next to us had a freedom fries tattoo.  The only people I could imagine having a conversation with were the Vietnam vet biker dudes.  Average IQ on the train was probably around 70.

What was your niece shooting - modified .22?  She bag anything?  (Baby dik-dik?)

14 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

My wife and I were on the train, and there was a group of 5 older female teachers who were going to protest.

Pics of the five older teachers? (What..at least it's not Bigfoot erotica.)

5 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Lifelong hunter checking in: grew up around other lifelong hunters and can’t remember any of them being an NRA member (or even legally hunting half the time)... I’ve never once thought to myself I should join and I don’t know any hunters who have. Weird organization.

Hell, NRA membership used to come free with a subscription to Field and Stream, IIRC.  It was pretty common for outdoorsmen to belong back in the day (but granted, I'm talking late 70s, early 80s).

Certainly the American Rifleman or American Hunter, which were good mags.  I saw a copy of American Rifleman recently and it looked like it always did.  I didn't immediately see any right-wing screeds.

But if you ever shot a rifle at camp, and earned any medals, NRA.  The targets you shot at, NRA.  Hunter and gun safety courses, NRA.  It used to be a good organization relating to the promotion of shooting sports and gun safety.

33510.jpg&f=1

• Like 1

I was a pro-marksman as a youth and even paid some dues. 

I found out years later that sitting in a blind sandwiched between two single-family housing developments and shooting deer from a climate-controlled position was considered a sport.  Coulda been a fucking athlete, ma!  

Found it posted on Facebook.  Comments are probably what you would expect.  Nothing that addresses the substantive content of the article -- if the NRA is pro-hunting, why is it supporting candidates that seek to remove hunter's access to public lands?

Womp Womp 

In April, Cuomo tweeted: “I urge companies in New York State to revisit any ties they have to the NRA and consider their reputations, and responsibility to the public.”
In its complaint, the NRA paints these actions as a “malicious conspiracy to stifle the NRA’s speech and induce a boycott of the NRA.” Cuomo and state regulators, the NRA alleges, were intent on “suppressing the NRA’s pro-Second Amendment viewpoint” and had engaged in “unlawful conduct with the intent to obstruct, chill, deter, and retaliate against the NRA’s core political speech.”

Sure you wanna to there, Trump-fellaters? Cuz it seems like some NFL players and a lot of other folks have a right of action against the POTUS, if that’s the standard.
  • Like 1

On 7/31/2018 at 4:59 PM, honolulu horn said:

The NRA touts the rights of gun owners but is actually most concerned with the donations from gun manufacturers.

Of course. The manufacturers support the NRA as an organization to get people to buy more of their products. It's entirely a business model designed to solicit more sales. The NRA doesn't care about the people at the end of the line, they care about the money, power, and influence they are able to wield as an organizational middle man between the arms manufacturers and arms purchasers. In reality, the NRA is unnecessary, especially in light of their willingness to collaborate with hostile foreign governments.

On 7/31/2018 at 4:48 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Certainly the American Rifleman or American Hunter, which were good mags.  I saw a copy of American Rifleman recently and it looked like it always did.  I didn't immediately see any right-wing screeds.

But if you ever shot a rifle at camp, and earned any medals, NRA.  The targets you shot at, NRA.  Hunter and gun safety courses, NRA.  It used to be a good organization relating to the promotion of shooting sports and gun safety.

33510.jpg&f=1

Those are nice. The ones I got in the Army with better rifles and munitions are better.

4 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

That's the best you can come up with when touting Russian females?  Good grief, you suck at the internet.

Well, you sound so kind & thanks for give us some clips of chicks to admire, wait, I don't see 'em...

3 hours ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

Of course. The manufacturers support the NRA as an organization to get people to buy more of their products. It's entirely a business model designed to solicit more sales. The NRA doesn't care about the people at the end of the line, they care about the money, power, and influence they are able to wield as an organizational middle man between the arms manufacturers and arms purchasers. In reality, the NRA is unnecessary, especially in light of their willingness to collaborate with hostile foreign governments.

Yeah, the NRA is dabbling it's big toes in both end of the pool, while profiting from both whenever tragedy makes the headlines (normally)...

I think I still have my marksman certificate for shooting a .22 rifle when I was in junior high.  It was presented by the NRA.  I think that's the one and only interaction I've ever had with them.

But I don't really join any of those advocacy groups, because its just asking for 15 emails a day asking for money.

22 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I think I still have my marksman certificate for shooting a .22 rifle when I was in junior high.  It was presented by the NRA.  I think that's the one and only interaction I've ever had with them.

But I don't really join any of those advocacy groups, because its just asking for 15 emails a day asking for money.

When I was an earnest 9 year old, really into the oceans and marine biology and saving the whales, I paid like $10 to join this "save the whales" group that had nice little advocacy pieces in some of the nature magazines and books I'd been reading.

Man.  You do NOT want to get on the Greenpeace mailing list.  I had no idea what the hell they were really about, and I spent the next 3 years waiting for all of their mailings to go the fuck away.

• 1 month later...

So uhh...yeah.  the NRA is upset that Thomas and Friends, the kids show about trains, is adding a new female train, and another new female train...from Africa.

They are so upset, they stuck KKK hoods on the trains.

Projecting much?

https://www.mediamatters.org/video/2018/09/10/nratv-puts-kkk-hood-thomas-tank-engine-attempt-make-point-about-diversity/221262