Tyrone Swoopes doing well in Seattle

Horn Under a Bad Sign

The ball seemed to find Seattle’s tight ends quite a bit on Monday, and Tyrone Swoopes in particular. This training camp represents a big opportunity for Swoopes, who spent most of last season on the practice squad before a December call-up to the 53-man roster, and on Day 4 he looked like a potential weapon in the passing game.

Earlier in camp, Carroll called Swoopes, a quarterback in college, “One of the most exciting guys to see in this camp for us is Tyrone because we know that he has the littlest background at this spot (with) the fewest snaps and all. Hasn’t had an offseason lift in as a tight end, really. Been a quarterback his whole life and all that. Last year was kind of a ‘Maybe I will, maybe I won’t,’ so he was totally tuned into it. He’s had a great offseason. He’s athletic, he’s physical, he’s not just a run-and-catch guy like you might think because he’s a QB. He’s got enough physicality to play on the line of scrimmage and block people. I believe that’s going to show up in this camp so we’re really excited to see what he does. He’s right in the middle of the competition.”

https://www.heraldnet.com/sports/rocky-tenure-at-texas-prepared-swoopes-for-position-switch/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

He ran a 4.65

His long stride may just make him look slower. Kinda like Vince.  Deceptively fast.

Surprised.  That's a good number for a guy of his size.  Id be awesome for him to become an NFL TE.

Good on Swoopes.  He was a good Longhorn.  He did absolutely everything asked of him to the best of his abilities with varying results. 
That second overtime against Notre Dame was among of the best times I have have had watching the Horns in the last five years.

Absolutely.

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

Good on Swoopes.  He was a good Longhorn.  He did absolutely everything asked of him to the best of his abilities with varying results. 

That second overtime against Notre Dame was among of the best times I have have had watching the Horns in the last five years.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

If I click play, it's going to get dusty in here when this video hits its crescendo.

/clicks play 

edit:  Thought it would be the one with the music.  Watching that extra point get blocked and run back to send us into overtime was something I had forgotten and it made me ragey, particularly given what happened versus OKST a month later.  Sorry to get off topic.  Go Swooooooopes!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

I was there. Best game I’ve ever been to. I now get depressed thinking about it.  

I was at a family thing, but kept saying all week, even up to a few hours before the game that I really felt like I ought to go.  The crowd looked as amped up as I have seen them.  Had the same feeling about USC last year, but didn't make the trip.  Bought tickets for this year's USC game.  Hope it is a great one.

37 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I was at a family thing, but kept saying all week, even up to a few hours before the game that I really felt like I ought to go.  The crowd looked as amped up as I have seen them.  Had the same feeling about USC last year, but didn't make the trip.  Bought tickets for this year's USC game.  Hope it is a great one.

It won’t be a great one. We are going to kick the ever living shit out of them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EZ$ said:

I was there. Best game I’ve ever been to. I now get depressed thinking about it.  

Man was that victory ever fool's gold. A bright spot in an era with more misery than I care to think about. 

will be rooting for Tyrone as much as any Horn in the leAgue. Hook'em Tyrone. 

5 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

You know Seattle will break out the 18 Wheeler package inside the 5.  Swoopes will be lined up at TE.  Then Russell will go wide and Tyrone will slide under QB.  He may have a run/pass option.

Seattle will have fun with this.

God I hope so. Pete Carroll's collection of Longhorns almost makes me care about the NFL. Swoopes will always be one of my favorite longhorns. The Seahawks did just hire an OC with a track record almost as bad as Watson, so I'm not hopeful about seeing any creative uses of Swoopes. Probably will see a lot of action from Dicko if thats the case so its all good. 

unfortunately, due to the owner's need to heed the advice of counsel, the head-lowering-to-initiate-contact rule is going to put paid to any wheeler/dozer action.

swoopes needs to form a good understanding with wilson and he can be a gronkish weapon, because half the corners in the league will bounce off him, and he can drag half the safeties in the league for 2-3 yac.

11 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

You know Seattle will break out the 18 Wheeler package inside the 5.  Swoopes will be lined up at TE.  Then Russell will go wide and Tyrone will slide under QB.  He may have a run/pass option.

Seattle will have fun with this.

Pete, quit letting your secrets out ;)

• 2 months later...

Didn't see this posted - good for Ty:

Tyrone Swoopes flew from Whitewright, Texas, to Seattle to join the Seahawks on Monday, then boarded a flight with the team to London on Wednesday. On Sunday, he claimed his first career catch in his first career start.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/seven-thousand-miles-later-seahawks-tyrone-swoopes-earns-first-career-start/?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tjhooker said:

Dman near everyone thought he should've been a TE at Texas.  Think of how much more aling he'd be at TE of they didn't try to square peg round hole him.

Eh, he was badass in his role at Texas. Got us that win over blow U. I think running an offense and carrying the ball so much helps at TE too. Imagine going from reading defense and changing protection, routes, plays.. to just doing your job every play, putting a hat on guys in the blocking game and running good routes.

Get him the ball on some old school TE reverses too he can move. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2018 at 6:03 PM, Spawn of Cthulhu said:

Simms was a much better blocker and route-runner than Major.

ahhhh, classic Hornfans, Shag, Surly.

Good God, I'm an old. Official. I can't be bothered to look at the date of the posts before I comment. Comment still stands, but damn.

Edited by Droopy
I'm an old.