2018 Little League World Series

torre

SW Regional (Waco) begins Thursday.   TV on LHN.   Winner to Williamsport.

New teams this year.   Ark, Colo, and Ok are states with the same returning teams.   

Thu, Aug 02 Texas-West Louisiana Norcross Stadium - Waco, TX 10:00AM CDT
Thu, Aug 02 New Mexico Oklahoma Norcross Stadium - Waco, TX 1:00PM CDT
Thu, Aug 02 Mississippi Colorado Norcross Stadium - Waco, TX 5:00PM CDT
Thu, Aug 02 Arkansas Texas-East Norcross Stadium - Waco, TX 8:00PM CDT

Arkansas   White Hall

Colorado   Academy Colorado Springs

Louisiana  South Lake Charles

Mississippi  Franklin County 

New Mexico  Carlsbad

Oklahoma  Tulsa

Texas East   Post Oak Houston

Texas West   Brownsville

https://www.littleleague.org/world-series/2018/llbws/tournaments/llb-southwest-regional/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

Are these actually the best teams for this age group, or just this organization?

Are the USSSA teams better?

They are better. But that's also like criticizing a Texas public high school football team just because IMG is better.  

Glad to see some different Texas teams this year. Surprised Brownsville made it, I'm cheering hard for them. Usually Weslaco, or Mission/McAllen with their Reynosa recruits rule baseball in the valley. And lately McAllister Park had ruled everyone in Texas West. 

22 hours ago, torre said:

SW Regional (Waco) begins Thursday.   TV on LHN.   Winner to Williamsport.

New teams this year.   Ark, Colo, and Ok are states with the same returning teams.   

Thu, Aug 02 Texas-West Louisiana Norcross Stadium - Waco, TX 10:00AM CDT
Thu, Aug 02 New Mexico Oklahoma Norcross Stadium - Waco, TX 1:00PM CDT
Thu, Aug 02 Mississippi Colorado Norcross Stadium - Waco, TX 5:00PM CDT
Thu, Aug 02 Arkansas Texas-East Norcross Stadium - Waco, TX 8:00PM CDT

Arkansas   White Hall

Colorado   Academy Colorado Springs

Louisiana  South Lake Charles

Mississippi  Franklin County 

New Mexico  Carlsbad

Oklahoma  Tulsa

Texas East   Post Oak Houston

Texas West   Brownsville

https://www.littleleague.org/world-series/2018/llbws/tournaments/llb-southwest-regional/

How the heck did Brownsville win Texas West?

16 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Are these actually the best teams for this age group, or just this organization?

Are the USSSA teams better?

Just the best All Star teams in Little League.

Regarding USSSA teams, I would say it depends. There are a lot of mediocre USSSA teams out there and a lot of these Little League All Star teams that make it to the LLWS are made up of select baseball players. The McAllister team that went to Williamsport a couple of years ago had several players that were on my son's 12U Majors select team. A lot of talent on that team. Little League made some changes a few years ago that allowed select players to participate in Little League which has boosted the quality of the LL All Star teams.

Several years ago my middle son's 12U team played against the select team that made up the Las Vegas LL team that placed 2nd in the LLWS US championship at a Triple Crown tournament in Arizona. That was a really good 12U Majors team.

My oldest son's 12U Majors team had the opportunity to play against the McAllister All Star team in a USSSA open tournament about 6 years ago. That was the year the McAllister team lost to California in the U.S. championship. My son's team spanked the All Star team. That same season my son's 12U team played the Banditos Black 12U team that ended up winning the National Youth League Champion, a tournament between all the different youth league champions. I think the Banditos represented either Super Series or USSSA that year. The difference between the two was night and day.

I would say most of those LLWS teams now are the equivalent of a USSSA Majors team. Before the rule changes that wasn't the case. Ever since the Little League rule change the quality has improved by a lot.

Edited by F250

3 hours ago, torre said:

Don't know.   Not alot of publicity about playoffs until the Regionals.

Brownsville (TxWest) lost to Louisiana 7-3 in game 1.

Looks like Brownsville lost in the first round to Abilene then climbed out of the losers bracket to crush Abilene in their next matchup and went on to beat McAllister Park twice for the state championship.

http://tournaments.active.com/tournament/consumer/fullSize.do?tournamentId=93159&from=news

Day 1        TxE (Post Oak)  looks strong.

La 7    TxW   3

Ok   6   NM  3

Ms 15    Co   10

TxE  14   Ar  1

Fri, Aug 03          TxW  vs NM      5PM

Fri, Aug 03          Co  vs  Ar        8PM

Sat, Aug 04      La  vs  Ok          5PM

Sat, Aug 04      Ms vs TxE         8PM        

10 hours ago, torre said:

Don't know.   Not alot of publicity about playoffs until the Regionals.

Brownsville (TxWest) lost to Louisiana 7-3 in game 1.

I'm actually surprised we never see a team out of South Texas make it. Corpus has always been a hotbed for HS talent, so figured a select team would occasionally go on a run. Brownsville though is a little bit of a surprise.

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

I'm actually surprised we never see a team out of South Texas make it. Corpus has always been a hotbed for HS talent, so figured a select team would occasionally go on a run. Brownsville though is a little bit of a surprise.

There was a team from Corpus Christi in the Little League World Series a few years ago. There have also recently been several LL Juinor (13\14 yr olds) teams from Corpus to make it to the World Series.

The Houston and San Antonio areas seem to dominate the state tournaments. Does DFW not have many Little Leagues?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, torre said:

Fri, Aug 03          TxW  vs NM      5PM           NM  6   TxW  5   (Line out DP to end game with tying run on 2d)   TxW  elim

Fri, Aug 03          Co  vs  Ar        8PM             Ar  4  Co   2       (Ark first win at SW Regional  since 2009)   Co  elim

Sat, Aug 04      La  vs  Ok          5PM

Sat, Aug 04      Ms vs TxE         8PM        

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:30 PM, F250 said:

That same season my son's 12U team played the Banditos Black 12U team that ended up winning the National Youth League Champion, a tournament between all the different youth league champions. I think the Banditos represented either Super Series or USSSA that year. The difference between the two was night and day.

2012?

13 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

12 year olds in DFW don't have time for 60 foot base paths, 46 foot mounds, no stealing bullshit....

That should really be true for Houston, too. I’m not sure how they do it.

NWLL in Austin had 24 hours to prep for the previous regional. The team that knocked them out in the championship at the previous level was cheating, it turns out.

Kids baseball is serious business.

22 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

The team representing Texas West is almost never as good as Texas East but this year's Texas West team is just awful. Houston area reigns supreme for little league talent

Are you sure about that?

Texas West and Texas East are tied for Southwest Regional Championships. Since the creation of the SW Regional tournament, Texas West has 6 championships and Texas East has 6 championships. Louisiana has the remaining championships, 4 I think.

So unless you consider Louisiana to be part of greater Houston, Texas East is not better than Texas West.

2 hours ago, 66BUFF said:

That banditos team was huge.  I think 3/4 of the team was over 5'10 at 11 and 12

Yeah, that sounds about right. We had a couple kids in the 5'10 range but most were around my son's size, 5'7. That Banditos team was definitely bigger than average. We occasionally encountered teams like that, there was a similar size team out of Dallas we played at a tournament in Colorado. Those extra large size teams are rare.

My other son played a 12U tournament in Florida several years ago, East Cobb Baseball was in the tournament. That ECB team was freaking huge. 12U baseball is all about the early bloomers.

My kid that faced those ECB giants in 12U was in Georgia last month playing in the Perfect Game's 17U wood bat championship. East Cobb was there and that monstrous size advantage was gone. A few years of puberty tends to even out the playing field.

Day 3

Ok  3  La 2   (2 La pitchers allowed no hits,  but walks, passed balls, and wild pitches allowed La 3 runs.    La changed catchers to no avail)

TxE  16  Ms  4   (TxE will play Ok Monday 8PM.   Winner will be in the driver's seat to go to Williamsport).

Sunday

Ms vs NM   5PM

Ark vs La     8PM

20 hours ago, Stros said:

I’m really pumped about how well the Post Oak team is doing. My good friends son plays on the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Louisiana may be their challenge.

Day 4

NM 10   Ms  6

La  11     Ar 6

Today:

NM vs La    4PM

TxE vs Ok    8PM     (winners bracket) 

Day 5

NM  3    La  0     (La elim.   I thought La had the 2nd best team,  little do I know) 

TxE  5    Ok  0     (1-0 game until the 6th.   (TxE coach used 3 pitchers for 2 innings each.   Bold strategy Cotton in a 1-0 game but now he has more pitchers available)

Tuesday

Ok vs NM   7PM   ESPN 2 

Wed

TxE vs Ok/NM  12PM,  ESPN      (1 game winner take all for a trip to Williamsport.  TxE has a rested pitching staff compared to Ok/NM)   

Cool to see the kids from POLL. My son played there prior to moving to Austin and we stay in touch with a lot of the families from Houston.

Crazy that with all the $, coaching, trainers etc that POLL has access to this is 1st time in history they've made it this far. (62 years of LL there)

They've a great shot at making it all the way to the LLWS being 3-0.

28 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I thought he only used 2 last night? Selvaggi and Rook.

https://gc.com/game-5b3aeb9d2814e100017a4a32

Not positive,   I tuned in late.   But the way I read the box score (unusual format)  Pitts started ?

Don't think I would have taken Selvaggi out in a 1-0 game because he was really on.     Rook walked the first batter to put 2 on in the 5th but survived.    ESPN stat said Rook's favorite team is the Texas Longhorns.    He has been watching Shugart.   😊

As a former POA All-Star and later a coach at POLL, roll-on boys!  

7 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Crazy that with all the $, coaching, trainers etc that POLL has access to this is 1st time in history they've made it this far. (62 years of LL there)

Not all 62 have been as POLL.  Until they moved over to Augusta/San Felipe in the early to mid-80s they were two distinct leagues, Post Oak American and Post Oak National.  They played over at the Pin Oak Stables, SE of the 59/610 interchange, just north of Gulfton.  I believe Chimney Rock may have been the dividing line.  I was POA.  There were two all-star teams, which diluted the talent somewhat, and we usually wound up squaring off over at Bayland Park in the area all-star tournament.  It's not surprising that this is their deepest run because they play in an area that is historically one of the toughest around.  Braeburn, Sharpstown, Bellaire, Westbury, were all juggernauts back in the day, and throw in Pearland, Memorial Ashford, its still pretty stout.  

2 hours ago, F250 said:

Didn't the new age rule kick in this year that eliminates all post April 13 year olds from eligibility? If so, we should see fewer man-children at Williamsport this Summer.

Not sure myself.     I know there have been few, if any, HRs in this SW Regional.

Ok 3  NM  2  (Very close game.  Ok got a complete game from their pitcher which greatly helps for Wed game vs TxE.)

Wed, 12PM, ESPN

TxE vs Ok        (for the trip to Williamsport.    If the kids can keep the coaches calm,  Post Oak should be ok 😊)  Beat 'em, POLL.

Edited by torre

13 hours ago, torre said:

Not sure myself.     I know there have been few, if any, HRs in this SW Regional.

They also really deadened the bats this year.

2 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

They won’t do 2 games if TXE loses right?

Nope.

On 8/4/2018 at 4:39 PM, F250 said:

Are you sure about that?

Texas West and Texas East are tied for Southwest Regional Championships. Since the creation of the SW Regional tournament, Texas West has 6 championships and Texas East has 6 championships. Louisiana has the remaining championships, 4 I think.

So unless you consider Louisiana to be part of greater Houston, Texas East is not better than Texas West.

Not anymore they're not

nice form not dog pilling up 8-0.  That POLL team is very good, but quite frankly the Moms are not up to speed with the quality that league usually puts out.  That's why it's fun to get Pearland moms in there - the suburbs bring the fake boobs and halter tops. :D

Tex E  8  Ok  0  (SW Regional Champs)

On to Williamsport.    Congrats to Post Oak players, coaches, and families.   

Post Oak checks all the boxes to make a great run in Williamsport.   

LLWS   16 Aug - 26 Aug

Congrats to POLL! Super happy for all involved there. My son played there when we lived in Houston. Great times, great facilities and I am glad to see them making it to LLWS.

I wouldn't be shocked to see the team  from POLL next year make it as well. They are stacked.

I could have swore the batters were using big barrel bats on TV, then I checked the LL website and saw they now allow 2 5/8 inch which are USABat standard approved. How do they compare to past bats?  I guessing they are kind of deadened.

I also saw that BPF 1.15 bats are not allowed which has been the USSSA standard.