2018 Running / Triathlon Thread

ToY

Trail running season started a couple weeks back.  Anyone else into running single track/crushed limestone?  I’ve developed a strong preference for it over concrete or pavement.

Had a great 4 miler yesterday at Forestville Park in Preston, MN

hllpN05.jpg

TkZfdH6.jpg

At one time a few years ago I was a frequent contributor to this thread on the other board.  I’ve been dealing with sciatic pain for 6months or so, had surgery to cut away the offending herniated disc, caught a staph infection and had to be opened up again, and finally on the mend from all that.  But even before that I’d been spending more time in the gym and less time running.  Years of neglecting my core, and strength training in general, caught up to me.  My son still runs and is beginning a promising school running career so I’m still around the sport some and love talking running with him but I couldn’t tell you the last time my strava showed anything other than a walk or an easy bike ride and I don’t know when it ever will again.  Carry on y’all.  

On 3/27/2018 at 8:21 PM, longhorndude said:

Next up is the Cap 10k for me, missed it last year due to a trip so looking forward to it.  

I'm ready for Sunday. Last year, I registered late and ended up in the last corral with the walkers* and selfie-takers. This year I registered early and I'm in the first corral.

*I am not disparaging anyone who wants to walk the 10K. Believe me, I won't be breaking any records on Sunday with my speed. My gripe is with the multiple couples who felt like holding hands while they walked and the people who stopped in the middle of the road for their selfies.

I ran a half marathon a few weeks back and had a funny incident I'm sure many here  have experienced.  Now, I ran the NYC marathon last November, and my longest run since then had been 10 miles.  I was in decent shape but wasn't gonna go out fast or try and PR or anything.  I just wanted to run a comfortable 8:45-8:50 pace and break 2 hours.

Race starts. I'm in corral 4.  Just wanted to start out with some 9 minute miles.  I'm running easily with the crowd, but not even a mile in, here comes some monstrous dude just hauling ass.  He's about 6'4", 250.  Looks like a  linebacker.  And he's running hard, weaving in and out of people and making people get out of the way lest he mow them down.  It was obnoxious.  Even more obnoxious was when he went by me and I see the back of his shirt.  It says:  MAKE SHIT HAPPEN!  I just rolled my eyes and said, before this race ends, I'm gonna see you again, Mr. Make Shit Happen.

So I keep running and feel good.  At the 10 mile mark, I get a second wind.  I felt really good and decided to finish strong.  So I take off.  I hit the last water station at the 11 mile mark and start to run hard.  I hadn't thought about Mr. Make Shit Happen in a long ass time.  But at about 11.5 miles, who do I see in front of me, sucking wind?  I blew past him and it took all of my will power not to pass him and talk some shit.  

Ran the last 3 miles at an 8:05 minute pace and easily went sub 2 hours.  I never saw where Mr. Make Shit Happen finished.

13 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

I ran a half marathon a few weeks back and had a funny incident I'm sure many here  have experienced.  Now, I ran the NYC marathon last November, and my longest run since then had been 10 miles.  I was in decent shape but wasn't gonna go out fast or try and PR or anything.  I just wanted to run a comfortable 8:45-8:50 pace and break 2 hours.

Race starts. I'm in corral 4.  Just wanted to start out with some 9 minute miles.  I'm running easily with the crowd, but not even a mile in, here comes some monstrous dude just hauling ass.  He's about 6'4", 250.  Looks like a  linebacker.  And he's running hard, weaving in and out of people and making people get out of the way lest he mow them down.  It was obnoxious.  Even more obnoxious was when he went by me and I see the back of his shirt.  It says:  MAKE SHIT HAPPEN!  I just rolled my eyes and said, before this race ends, I'm gonna see you again, Mr. Make Shit Happen.

So I keep running and feel good.  At the 10 mile mark, I get a second wind.  I felt really good and decided to finish strong.  So I take off.  I hit the last water station at the 11 mile mark and start to run hard.  I hadn't thought about Mr. Make Shit Happen in a long ass time.  But at about 11.5 miles, who do I see in front of me, sucking wind?  I blew past him and it took all of my will power not to pass him and talk some shit.  

Ran the last 3 miles at an 8:05 minute pace and easily went sub 2 hours.  I never saw where Mr. Make Shit Happen finished.

Nice job!  One of the easiest ways to blow your race is to do what that guy did.  Going out too fast and expending too much energy weaving in and out of traffic.

I had to laugh a bit at the guy running the Austin marathon barefoot who passed me around mile 10-11 I think once I passed him around mile 20 and I never saw him again. I mean I guess that’s still an impressive feet (pun intended) but it seemed a bit over the top “look at me” kinda thing.

Way to go Desi!!!

My stretch goal is qualifying for the 2020 Boston Marathon. I have a marathon in four weeks, then taking a brief summer break and then starting with a Rogue group in September to figure out how to take my running to the next level. I need to take a minute off my marathon pace to qualify. I'll be hitting up this group for tips this fall when I begin that more intense training. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, UrbanAchiever said:

Way to go Desi!!!

My stretch goal is qualifying for the 2020 Boston Marathon. I have a marathon in four weeks, then taking a brief summer break and then starting with a Rogue group in September to figure out how to take my running to the next level. I need to take a minute off my marathon pace to qualify. I'll be hitting up this group for tips this fall when I begin that more intense training. 

ToY is your guy. He is running Boston today and runs with Rogue. 

I’d have to cut 30 seconds per mile to BQ. That just seems like sooooo much work. If I wait 4 years when I’m in the next age group, it would go down to 15 seconds from my PR. I’d like to try one day to BQ but who knows. 

Edited by Jive Turkey

Man, I spent the last 20 minutes trying not to cry, and when they interviewed Des I just started bawling.

First time I qualified for Boston, I had a horrible first mile (Houston).  I spent the next couple of miles trying to decide whether to drop out and try again at Austin the next month.  I basically didn't drop out because my wife and daughter were out on the course and I wasn't sure I'd be able to contact them.  So I kept fighting.  At mile 10, my hamstrings were already sore from the concrete.  Kept fighting.  Got the cramps somewhere in the 22nd mile.  Told myself I had about four miles to go and was somehow four minutes ahead of pace, and to just get to the next marker in less than 8 minutes.  Did that.  Same thing for the next mile.  Did that.  Same thing for the next mile.  Did that.  Did it again, and spent the last quarter mile as the happiest person on the planet, screaming, "I'M GOING TO BOSTON" the entire way. 

So when she said that she felt awful for the first couple of miles and thought about dropping out but stayed in to help Shalane, all those memories came flooding back and I think I seriously know how happy and how fulfilled she is right now, and IT IS OFF THE FUCKING CHARTS.

Gotdam, that was wonderful.  So proud of her.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jive Turkey said:

And damn.  ToY just barely barely missed a sub 3  hour marathon today. 

That is fucking legit.  

That is a brutally hard course even when the weather is good.  

My best time there was 6 minutes slower than my PR, but I consider it my best marathon because everything about that race starting with the bus ride is a complete mindfuck inviting you to fail.

• Like 1

Man, I spent the last 20 minutes trying not to cry, and when they interviewed Des I just started bawling.
First time I qualified for Boston, I had a horrible first mile (Houston).  I spent the next couple of miles trying to decide whether to drop out and try again at Austin the next month.  I basically didn't drop out because my wife and daughter were out on the course and I wasn't sure I'd be able to contact them.  So I kept fighting.  At mile 10, my hamstrings were already sore from the concrete.  Kept fighting.  Got the cramps somewhere in the 22nd mile.  Told myself I had about four miles to go and was somehow four minutes ahead of pace, and to just get to the next marker in less than 8 minutes.  Did that.  Same thing for the next mile.  Did that.  Same thing for the next mile.  Did that.  Did it again, and spent the last quarter mile as the happiest person on the planet, screaming, "I'M GOING TO BOSTON" the entire way. 
So when she said that she felt awful for the first couple of miles and thought about dropping out but stayed in to help Shalane, all those memories came flooding back and I think I seriously know how happy and how fulfilled she is right now, and IT IS OFF THE FUCKING CHARTS.
Gotdam, that was wonderful.  So proud of her.
That's amazing. What was your time?

Enviado desde mi SM-G950U mediante Tapatalk

3 hours ago, APEX said:

1,2,4,5,6,7 to be exact with a Canadian at 3 spoiling the party.

To be fair, the Africans will just drop out and save themselves for the next race on the calendar if they know they're not going to win.  

I like to brag that there was one year where I beat the two previous champs -- they dropped out because it was so hot and they knew they weren't going to win.

Edited by Beau Vine

4 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

^^^^^

Great story dude. 

I cried when she hugged her husband. And watching her during the national anthem. Can’t believe she thought she was gonna drop out. 

And damn.  ToY just barely barely missed a sub 3  hour marathon today. 

You sure about that? I'm looking at his splits, and it looks like something happened around mile 19.

Damn that was impressive in both, male and female. Desi said she almost bailed out early in the race and the japanese dude closed 90 seconds with a 5k to go. 

i may have to hold out till i'm 60 or 65 before becoming a BQ, if the body holds up. 

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a20199550/chip-gaines-completes-silo-district-marathon/

While wearing his signature tool belt, Fixer Upper star Chip Gaines completed his first marathon in 5:21:54 at the inaugural Silo District Marathon, Half Marathon, and 5K on Sunday morning in Waco, Texas. The performance marked a lifetime achievement for the 43-year-old HGTV personality and a massive fundraising effort for cancer research thanks to a collaboration with Gabriele Grunewald, a cancer survivor and professional runner.

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

Gaines tackled the miles with encouragement from a large running pack that included his family, friends, and his wife and costar, Joanna, who rode in a golf cart documenting the entire effort on her Instagram account. The final mile was completed with his youngest daughter, Emmie Kay, 8, who held his hand as the pair crossed the finish line to a roaring crowd on Webster Avenue.