2018 Running / Triathlon Thread

ToY

My wife has been training for the Seattle marathon in June.  Unfortunately his shins have started to hurt pretty bad lately to the point she is talking about dropping out.  Anyone know of something that will help this?  It's not the shoes.

Here is a link with some exercises to help with shin splints.  Aside from rest, she can wear compression sleeves at night and do calf stretches a few times a day.  It is a long thread, but lots of good information, hopefully she can get this cleared up before her marathon.  

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Shin_splints_P4925996/?search_string=shin splints#p4925996

I am new to thread but here goes

I ran my first half today with a time of 1:42 and finished 20th overall and 4th in my age group 35-39. Prior to race I ran one long day a week for 5 weeks with my longest run being 9 miles and that was last week. I did short runs and HIT training the other 4 days. When I trained I was able to run 7:22 miles consistenly so I felt good about today. I really wanted to finish in the 1:35 range even though I had no idea what to expect and had some nerves and I had to slow myself down today. 

Everything was going good unti 9.5 miles and I just turned to fucking shit. It was like I was running in sand. Every half mile my phone is calling out my time and it is getting worse and I am mad. I almost quit at mile 11 and was on the verge of tears ( it is absurd I know). I somehow finish but the last hill almost made me quit and I finish with a 7:51 average. I had to collect myself at the finish line. I guess I should be happy considering I didn’t even sign up until 6 weeks ago after running a Ragnar Relay from Chattanooga Tn to Nashville Tn.  I have never been a runner but I played soccer in college and trying to stay in somewhat shape as I get older. 

Last week and this week the outside of my right knee hurts after mile 9 and it hurts at the back of the knee the rest of the day so I am going to Dr to get checked out and hopefully referred to someone. I need to eat properly before a race next time as I think that played a major role. I had a bowl of oatmeal and 1 piece of toast this morning and oatmeal last night. 

Congrats Clintonaldo - being able to run a pace during training runs will not always mean you can run that during your race.  I think you just need more miles and increase the LR to 13-15, well that is what I do.  

Jerry - if you can find a coach or a masters swim club to help with your swimming, that is the hardest part to learn for adults.  I still struggle with it.

I ran my first international marathon last weekend (5/13) in Belgium/Netherlands. I finished in 3:37:52 which was 10 minutes faster than my previous marathon in January. The race started in the small Belgian town of Vise and went along the Meuse river. We crossed into the Netherlands, went through Maastricht and returned along the other side of the Meuse river back into Vise. The race was picturesque - I couldn't have asked for better surroundings. The temps were favorable too, and the course was mostly flat. 

I had some minor anxiety in that I wasn't sure how the hydration stations would work. They claimed that you needed to bring personal drinks (refillable bottles / camelbacks) in lieu of water stops. That turned out to not be the case. You had that option, but they had traditional water stops as well every 5 km. They also had "sponging stations," which I had never seen before. You got a sponge with your registration packet, and you could use that to sponge down at the water stops. 

I was impressed by the overall fitness level of the participants. It seemed like everyone took running seriously, and the majority of runners were affiliated with running groups or clubs. In the states, I see a lot of people who are just checking the box to say they've completed a marathon and don't really care about their training leading up to it or their time. That definitely wasn't the case with this race, and I don't know if that's typical of European races or if this one just drew a more competitive crowd. 

I'm taking a summer break and will resume a more serious training regimen this fall with Rogue. Looking forward to working with a coach for the first time and being around some runners that can push me to beyond what I think are my limits. And as always, I look forward to checking in on this thread and reading about everyone else's races and training. 

Edited by UrbanAchiever

Great job dude. Sounds just like me. My first marathon was 3:47, and second one was 3:37. I still haven’t done a European marathon. I entered the London Marathon lottery so crossing my fingers. And desperately want to run Berlin. 

And fantastic job Clintonaldo. 1:42 for your first half is bad ass. I’m with HRMaddie. You just need to put more miles on your legs. You’ll be in the 1:35 range with the right preparation. 

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

Great job dude. Sounds just like me. My first marathon was 3:47, and second one was 3:37. I still haven’t done a European marathon. I entered the London Marathon lottery so crossing my fingers. And desperately want to run Berlin. 

And fantastic job Clintonaldo. 1:42 for your first half is bad ass. I’m with HRMaddie. You just need to put more miles on your legs. You’ll be in the 1:35 range with the right preparation. 

I've heard nothing but great things about the Berlin marathon. 

And I echo your sentiments to Clintonaldo. 1:42 is a killer time for a first half. It must be the soccer pedigree. I ran cross country in high school, and the soccer team was forced to train with us. Most of those guys were naturally gifted distance runners, but they mostly hated running outside of soccer.

Alright, I finally made it over here.

Some good running going on gents.

I’m finally putting in some good miles after dealing with ITBS at the beginning of the year. Had to transfer from IMTX to Maryland in September. Looking forward to getting some run workouts in soon rather than everything easy.

On 5/15/2018 at 12:55 PM, hrmaddie said:

Jerry - if you can find a coach or a masters swim club to help with your swimming, that is the hardest part to learn for adults.  I still struggle with it.

Thanks.  Swimming is my best discipline and I'm am member of a masters swim club - just haven't been going regularly so my endurance and swim fitness is down.  Last triathlon was Escape from Alcatraz in 2015.

On 5/21/2018 at 8:41 AM, UrbanAchiever said:

I was impressed by the overall fitness level of the participants. It seemed like everyone took running seriously, and the majority of runners were affiliated with running groups or clubs. In the states, I see a lot of people who are just checking the box to say they've completed a marathon and don't really care about their training leading up to it or their time. That definitely wasn't the case with this race, and I don't know if that's typical of European races or if this one just drew a more competitive crowd. 

This seems to be a euro thing in general. All of the euro climbers, divers, runners I’ve run into take their sport very seriously. 

On 5/21/2018 at 8:41 AM, UrbanAchiever said:

I think the Europeans enjoy / take the endurance sports more seriously.  Cycling, Swim/Run, Speed Skating, Cross-Country Skiing, etc are all big in Europe, where in the US we gravitates towards baseball (although watching it is a test of endurance), football, etc.  As en endurance athlete I would definitely like to see more endurance sports here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I casually run (3-8 miles typically) and bike (25-55 miles). I’ve done a full marathon and a lot of 5ks and 10ks in the past. Did a sprint triathlon once when I was super hungover and it went ok given the circumstances. Did a casual brewery sponsored 5k this morning in 23:22 which is decent for me.

I’d like to dabble in some races and I’m most interested in doing triathlons. There’s a sprint triathlon (300m indoor swim, 15 mile bike, 5k rum) here in Fort Worth next weekend. It’s short notice but I’m pretty sure my body could handle it and it would be a good initiation to help me plan for something bigger.

My biggest concern about this is I have no idea how the logistics of a triathlon work. Are there staging areas to hold your gear (cycling shoes, helmet, bike, running shoes, etc) between each leg? I could have my wife or a friend go along and assist, just not sure what the normal protocol is.

Any advice for a complete beginner?

2 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I casually run (3-8 miles typically) and bike (25-55 miles). I’ve done a full marathon and a lot of 5ks and 10ks in the past. Did a sprint triathlon once when I was super hungover and it went ok given the circumstances. Did a casual brewery sponsored 5k this morning in 23:22 which is decent for me.

I’d like to dabble in some races and I’m most interested in doing triathlons. There’s a sprint triathlon (300m indoor swim, 15 mile bike, 5k rum) here in Fort Worth next weekend. It’s short notice but I’m pretty sure my body could handle it and it would be a good initiation to help me plan for something bigger.

My biggest concern about this is I have no idea how the logistics of a triathlon work. Are there staging areas to hold your gear (cycling shoes, helmet, bike, running shoes, etc) between each leg? I could have my wife or a friend go along and assist, just not sure what the normal protocol is.

Yeah, there’s a transition area that you hit at T1 (swim to bike) and T2 (bike to run).  You get assigned a spot and keep all your shit there.  Grab yourself a 5 gallon bucket from Home Depot or Lowe’s with the lid to hold your gear and you can sit on it while you are getting your shoes on during transition.  You’re not allowed to have help so no need to worry about assistance.  Sprint triathlon is pretty short so you’ll be fine, have fun (usually some hot chicks to look at) and some beer after.

6 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

you're talking about doing the mayor's tri - the swim lanes are narrow, very difficult to pass. water is shallow, so if you get hung up you can walk while waiting to pass. don't try to learn a flying mount/dismount for the bike. run course goes north on taylor st, towards the trinity trails, you will will run down the big long hill, then you get to run up the big long hill.

I don't know if they will allow you a 5 gal bucket to keep in the transition area. 

I cant remember if family and friends are allowed in the transition area, usually competitors only. i would suggest getting on youtube for transition set up and tips. you keep a space about the size of a golf towel for all your gear next to where your bike is located. put on and fasten your helmet first when in t1. take it off after you hang your bike when you return.

study the transition area map. run in after swim, bike out/bike in, run out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thought i would give this thread a bump.   Did a sprint tri in Denton a few weeks ago.  I was happy with it 4th OA would have been close for 3rd but I forgot where I racked my bike.  Missed 3rd by 20seconds, would have been close who knows.  

I got two awesome runs in the last couple of days.   Picking up my daughter at a camp.  Got to run in Provo and Park City.   Park City was my favorite. Ran on a bike / jogging path surrounded by mountains and amazing weather, mid 50s, humidity was in the low 30s. Felt so nice.   Back to Denton today though, nice while it lasted.  

Anyone have any races coming up?

Ok this has nothing to do with running, but I wanted to post it anyway.  I was in Park City, Utah over the weekend.  I am admittedly an Olympic junkie, so I went to the Olympic Park to look at the bobsled run and tour the museum.  When I got there I discovered you can pay to do the bobsled run.  That was one of the coolest things I have ever done.  It only lasted a minute, but it was so cool.  During the summer they put wheels on the sled.   The driver said the speed is only 70-75mph with the wheels and you pull 4-5gs in the turns.  He mentioned with ice, the speeds are much faster and the g force a lot higher.  In the winter they just do the short course due to safety concerns.   Anyway here is the footage from my run on the long course bobsled.

https://youtu.be/a6s7dTB2j5M

Edited by hrmaddie
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, hrmaddie said:

Thought i would give this thread a bump.   Did a sprint tri in Denton a few weeks ago.  I was happy with it 4th OA would have been close for 3rd but I forgot where I racked my bike.  Missed 3rd by 20seconds, would have been close who knows.  

I got two awesome runs in the last couple of days.   Picking up my daughter at a camp.  Got to run in Provo and Park City.   Park City was my favorite. Ran on a bike / jogging path surrounded by mountains and amazing weather, mid 50s, humidity was in the low 30s. Felt so nice.   Back to Denton today though, nice while it lasted.  

Anyone have any races coming up?

Nice job on the sprint! Those transition times in sprint distances are so crucial.

I've got nothing until the winter months, but I'm excited about joining Rogue in September and finally working with a coach and finding some pace partners that can challenge me on training runs. Doing a half in San Antonio in December and the Houston marathon in January. I need to add one more full in the spring - a fast course in cold weather (anytime in March or April). I'd be open to suggestions.

3 hours ago, hrmaddie said:

Ok this has nothing to do with running, but I wanted to post it anyway.  I was in Park City, Utah over the weekend.  I am admittedly an Olympic junkie, so I went to the Olympic Park to look at the bobsled run and tour the museum.  When I got there I discovered you can pay to do the bobsled run.  That was one of the coolest things I have ever done.  It only lasted a minute, but it was so cool.  During the summer they put wheels on the sled.   The driver said the speed is only 70-75mph with the wheels and you pull 4-5gs in the turns.  He mentioned with ice, the speeds are much faster and the g force a lot higher.  In the winter they just do the short course due to safety concerns.   Anyway here is the footage from my run on the long course bobsled.

https://youtu.be/a6s7dTB2j5M

That's so bad ass. Adding that to my list of must-dos next time I'm near a bobsled course.

Urban Achiever - not sure if they still have slots but I've always wanted to do the Colorado Marathon - http://comarathon.com/raceinfo  If you want a boring fast course there is this one http://comarathon.com/raceinfo - you can bring your own bottles and set them up on tables.  From my understanding if you pick up a water bottle and leave it at the table down the road they will return it to the original table before you make it around again.  It is a loop course designed for people to try and BQ.   There is Big Sur Marathon, tough course but amazing views.  Vermont City Marathon at the end of May, flat with some rollers.  Shamrock Marathon in March at Virginia Beach, supposed to fast, but not sure what the weather is like that time of the year.

41 minutes ago, hrmaddie said:

Urban Achiever - not sure if they still have slots but I've always wanted to do the Colorado Marathon - http://comarathon.com/raceinfo  If you want a boring fast course there is this one http://comarathon.com/raceinfo - you can bring your own bottles and set them up on tables.  From my understanding if you pick up a water bottle and leave it at the table down the road they will return it to the original table before you make it around again.  It is a loop course designed for people to try and BQ.   There is Big Sur Marathon, tough course but amazing views.  Vermont City Marathon at the end of May, flat with some rollers.  Shamrock Marathon in March at Virginia Beach, supposed to fast, but not sure what the weather is like that time of the year.

Great info all around. I was looking at some downhill races in the event I get close to a BQ time and need a faster course to qualify. I think you meant to link to a different race with that second link (it's the same as the first). I've looked at Big Sur and know at least one person that has done it - it's breathtakingly beautiful but a very difficult course. I'll check out the other two, but I'd prefer a western destination. The Colorado one looks just about perfect. 

hrm - the bobsled is badass. i got a little nauseous watching. seeing ur speed on strava, i'm just blown away. 

ua - my sis in law got her first bq at mercy health glass city marathon in toledo. its a late april race. weather was perfect.

I'm trying convice myself to do the Fort Worth Marathon in November or White Rock (Dallas) in December. I will at least do the half marathon at the Fort Worth Marathon. I really need to push myself in the swim and get a 70.3 triathlon done in 2019. i really slacked in the tri dept this year. 

Awesome!! great job on the sprint Tri too!

I’m in the phase of training for IM Maryland where I just want to get the race over with already. So tired all the time. 🤦🏼‍♂️

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to take the plunge.

I’m participating in the Austin Distance Challenge with the ultimate goal of completing the Austin Marathon. Anyone have experience with this? Austin Running Club appears to be a massive organization and I’m debating whether to do training on my own or attend practices. 

• 2 weeks later...

I entered the lotteries for the Tokyo Marathon (March 3) and London Marathon (April 28).  I'll find out about Tokyo in late September and London in early October. If I get in either, I'll run it.

If I don't get in either, I'd like to run either Austin (Feb. 17) or Fort Worth (Feb. 24). Any thoughts on these two marathons?  Which is better?

• Like 1

On 8/25/2018 at 10:35 PM, Blanton said:

I’m participating in the Austin Distance Challenge with the ultimate goal of completing the Austin Marathon. Anyone have experience with this? Austin Running Club appears to be a massive organization and I’m debating whether to do training on my own or attend practices. 

I did the Austin Distance Challenge two years ago. I enjoyed it, and it's nice to raid the ARC tent after the races for snacks and free stuff. I never did any of the ARC runs, and the finisher's party catered to the ARC crowd. It seems like you would get more out of the experience if you were actually part of the ARC community. 

I ended up finishing 4th in my age division, and I'll probably compete again to see if I can finish top 3.   

24 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

I entered the lotteries for the Tokyo Marathon (March 3) and London Marathon (April 28).  I'll find out about Tokyo in late September and London in early October. If I get in either, I'll run it.

If I don't get in either, I'd like to run either Austin (Feb. 17) or Fort Worth (Feb. 24). Any thoughts on these two marathons?  Which is better?

Hope you get one of those international slots. I've heard great things about London. 

The Austin marathon is challenging even with the recent course change which some would argue makes it more challenging. The rough spots used to be in the middle miles when it went through Tarrytown, but now the challenging elevation changes are at the end on the east side. It's a well organized race, and the makeshift aid stations in people's front yards as it meanders through central Austin neighborhoods is my favorite part. There's good crowd support throughout too.  

JIVE - not be downer on the Cowtown, but it's really not that exciting. I think it's operated really well, lots of fuel/water stops. parking is free and close to the start/finish. The first 10ish miles is great. Lots of runners all the way through downtown, but at Lancaster, the half-marathon turns back towards Will Rogers. marathon will work their way through fairmont and tcu, you still have decent crowd support, but the runners really thin out, at least around me.

You do have a long climb around mile 8. from the stockyards to the courthouse.

I'll second dmtx - Cowtown crowd support and runners thin out at the marathon split.  I don't know what the ratio of half to full runners is but I would be willing to guess 80-85% of the participants run the half.  I did the full twice years ago, before the course was changed and even then at the split I felt like I was running alone.  Which i do that everyday anyway so not really a big deal for me. 

On 8/25/2018 at 10:35 PM, Blanton said:

I'm doing the Distance Challenge for the first time as well. Although my plan is to just do the 1/2 track. 

40 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

I'm doing the Distance Challenge for the first time as well. Although my plan is to just do the 1/2 track. 

Awesome, well I'll be at the 5k tomorrow and hopefully it goes well. 

Edited by Blanton

yeah... that was nuts. 2nd and 3rd was way back. 

If you can fit the cowtown half into your training some day, it's worth it. do the Cowtown 5k or 10 the day before the half/full/ultra, you get a third medal (Cowtown Challenge).

I plan on doing the Fort Worth Half Marathon on Nov 11th. the half goes from panther island, down the trinity trail then back. i'm hoping it wont seem so boring since i run that portion of the trail regularly.

After a lot of years of complaining about my weight but not doing anything, I decided that A) I really miss distance running and  B) I need a goal to motivate me. 

I thought about some shorter races, but 5Ks and 10Ks just don't excite me anymore.  I did a couple full Austin Marathons a decade ago, but that distance seems overwhelming now.  I've never run a half marathon.   My goal is crystal clear now:   The Austin Half marathon. Feb 17, 2019.   

Unfortunately I'm probably going to have to loose 10-15 pounds fast just to be able to start to jog again; right now I'm just a bit to jiggly.

well... welcome back to running OX. take it slow.

I did a 5k this past weekend. wasn't a pr, but ended up 5th overall and 1st Masters. its nice when the fast-fast over 40 crowd is low. the course was short by .07 miles for a 21:31, 7:06 pace. I was trying to go sub 7 for all miles, but my legs wanted no part of it. The heat and crazy humidity definitely didn't help. 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2018 at 9:37 PM, Clintonaldo said:

I am new to thread but here goes

I ran my first half today with a time of 1:42 and finished 20th overall and 4th in my age group 35-39. Prior to race I ran one long day a week for 5 weeks with my longest run being 9 miles and that was last week. I did short runs and HIT training the other 4 days. When I trained I was able to run 7:22 miles consistenly so I felt good about today. I really wanted to finish in the 1:35 range even though I had no idea what to expect and had some nerves and I had to slow myself down today. 

Everything was going good unti 9.5 miles and I just turned to fucking shit. It was like I was running in sand. Every half mile my phone is calling out my time and it is getting worse and I am mad. I almost quit at mile 11 and was on the verge of tears ( it is absurd I know). I somehow finish but the last hill almost made me quit and I finish with a 7:51 average. I had to collect myself at the finish line. I guess I should be happy considering I didn’t even sign up until 6 weeks ago after running a Ragnar Relay from Chattanooga Tn to Nashville Tn.  I have never been a runner but I played soccer in college and trying to stay in somewhat shape as I get older. 

Last week and this week the outside of my right knee hurts after mile 9 and it hurts at the back of the knee the rest of the day so I am going to Dr to get checked out and hopefully referred to someone. I need to eat properly before a race next time as I think that played a major role. I had a bowl of oatmeal and 1 piece of toast this morning and oatmeal last night. 

Forgot about this thread but time to bump. Turns out I had a tear in my meniscus and some cartilage damage. I had surgery on August 28th and luckily they were able to repair meniscus. The sucky part is I am on crutches for 2 more weeks. I will take it slow when I start running again but I plan on doing a half in March and May of next year and then maybe a full next October. 

• Like 1

Music/GPS Watch question:

I need a GPS tracker and something to drive my Bluetooth ear-buds.    Why not the same device?  I don't like running with my phone, so I'm looking at running watches.       I don't really need a lot of the features in a bunch of the higher-end watches {altimeter, barometer, visual maps, HD screens}.      What I want is something that:

• is somewhat small
  • displays distance and time
  • has storage for MP3
  • Bluetooth
  • Can upload route info to a PC or phone.

Recommendations?

136 days til the Austin Half-marathon.... 54 days before the 12-week training program. 

Only watch off the top of my head is the Garmin 645.   I think Tom Tom offers one, might be others though.   They are going to offer some of the other items that you don’t need.  My guess this year others will come out with watches that stream music.  

Edited by hrmaddie

I have wireless earbuds that have internal storage that are great (bragi). Unfortunately the charging base sucks balls and I can’t even get a replacement so I can’t recommend them.

Anyway, maybe there’s some other ones available that have internal storage too. Just another option.

Also, I guess I should toot my own horn. I qualified for Kona last weekend at IM Maryland. I didn’t have the race I was hoping for (which included puking, shitting and bad charlie horses in my hamstring the last 5 miles). There were 3 Kona slots for my AG and I was in 2nd with a 2 min lead over 3rd with 2 miles to go. The cramps cost me a lot of time and I ended up in 4th. I was gutted. But got lucky at awards and the guy that got 1st passed on his slot.

D6_F8_B295_4780_4_C5_E_97_E5_D9_CA17849_A1_A.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

How do you get motivated to go for a run in 50-degree cold rain. 😞      I know I have cold weather gear, cause I used to run year round, but don't even know where that stuff is.   

I guess this is Life's way of asking me if I really want to run that Austin Half- Marathon in February.   Put up or Shut up.

On 10/7/2018 at 5:22 PM, jet black said:

Also, I guess I should toot my own horn. I qualified for Kona last weekend at IM Maryland. I didn’t have the race I was hoping for (which included puking, shitting and bad charlie horses in my hamstring the last 5 miles). There were 3 Kona slots for my AG and I was in 2nd with a 2 min lead over 3rd with 2 miles to go. The cramps cost me a lot of time and I ended up in 4th. I was gutted. But got lucky at awards and the guy that got 1st passed on his slot.

D6_F8_B295_4780_4_C5_E_97_E5_D9_CA17849_A1_A.jpg

That is awesome. I got injured in a half-Ironman a few years back.   A full Ironman is unbelievable hard. That is a beast of a race. 

• Like 1