2018 Running / Triathlon Thread

ToY

Oxdeadbeef - it’s just one of those moments where you either harden up or go back to bed.  It’s never fun to run in cold rain, but it really isn’t that bad.  I look at it this way you have no idea what race day weather is going to be like so it’s mental prep.  I ran this morning in the cold rain with a long sleeve smartwool shirt, shorts and visor.     I was soaked when I got home but about fifteen minutes later back to normal.   

On 10/7/2018 at 5:22 PM, jet black said:

Also, I guess I should toot my own horn. I qualified for Kona last weekend at IM Maryland. I didn’t have the race I was hoping for (which included puking, shitting and bad charlie horses in my hamstring the last 5 miles). There were 3 Kona slots for my AG and I was in 2nd with a 2 min lead over 3rd with 2 miles to go. The cramps cost me a lot of time and I ended up in 4th. I was gutted. But got lucky at awards and the guy that got 1st passed on his slot.

Wow!!! That is truly impressive. A hearty and huge congrats for qualifying for Kona. I can't imagine the work you've put in to date to get to where you are. I've been following your results for years and continue to be amazed by the results you're posting. Well done, sir!!! 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2018 at 6:22 PM, jet black said:

Also, I guess I should toot my own horn. I qualified for Kona last weekend at IM Maryland. I didn’t have the race I was hoping for (which included puking, shitting and bad charlie horses in my hamstring the last 5 miles). There were 3 Kona slots for my AG and I was in 2nd with a 2 min lead over 3rd with 2 miles to go. The cramps cost me a lot of time and I ended up in 4th. I was gutted. But got lucky at awards and the guy that got 1st passed on his slot.

D6_F8_B295_4780_4_C5_E_97_E5_D9_CA17849_A1_A.jpg

And here I am thinking a 1:30 half is something to be proud of. That is awesome. I am 3 weeks from being able to run again and then I am doing two half’s in the spring and a full in the fall. From there I might try an Ironman since one is in Chattanooga. 

• Like 1

Sooo ran the Austin Haunted Half Marathon today. I’ve seen better organized keg parties. Complete clown show. No one was directing parking. There was only 2 small roads into the ghost town thing and lines were backed up for miles. It delayed the start by 35 minutes. 

So I was running next to one of the pace guys, and we pass a water station and they’re like, your going the wrong way. So basically added a extra mile to the race. Super. Sweet re-route 

• 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

What running/training watches do y'all use and why? I'm sick of my apple watch and want to upgrade to something more  conducive to running.

Garmin Fenix 3. It's a multisport watch and works great for the type of running training I'm doing. I highly recommend the Garmin Forerunners if you're looking for just running.

On 11/23/2018 at 1:00 PM, HornOnTheBayou said:

I'm thinking about starting to do triathlons in the spring after the Austin Marathon. I've got plenty of running and biking experience, but I'm new to swimming races. Any gear that I should put on my Christmas wish list?

Wife got me a waterproof iPod shuffle and earbuds several years ago. I wouldn't consider them "gear," but they made boring laps in the pool much more enjoyable. 

• Like 1

I ran the San Antonio half yesterday and finished in 1:38:07. I hit my goal pace of 7:30 exactly. 

A few thoughts. First, the conditions were very favorable. Low 50s to start the race and high 50s to end. There was almost no wind, and the course was probably the flattest one I've ever run. There was a little ascent at mile 10, but they quickly reward you with a downhill as you make the turn back towards downtown. It was a corralled race which helped a ton with crowd management. I was in corral 2, so there was minimal weaving, and it thinned out by mile 2. 

Next is the Houston Marathon, and I feel more confident going into that. I may adjust my goal time given how pleased I was this past weekend. We'll see how training goes at a little faster pace.

• Like 2

After having knee surgery at the end of August I really thought I would be ready for a half in March but I am afraid there is no way. I am only allowed to run in 3-4 minute intervals at the moment and I just don’t have the pace I want. If I run this bitch I am finishing in 1:35 or less and I am so far from that. 

Had a good Decker 1/2 marathon today, despite the fact that my six-year old woke me up at 2 AM complaining about an upset stomach and then proceeded to throw up on my running shoes.

Now it's time to stretch and relax with my favorite yoga videos. If you're not familiar with Adriene, you should be (for obvious reasons):

Edited by HornOnTheBayou

On 11/16/2018 at 12:12 PM, usmc0331horn said:

What running/training watches do y'all use and why? I'm sick of my apple watch and want to upgrade to something more  conducive to running.

I spent a lot of time a month or so back looking at running watches.   There are a lot of good watches, so it really comes down to what features you want.   For me, I decided that the features I needed were  GPS tracking and bluetooth music.   I don't carry my phone on my runs, so I need my watch to be the source of my music.   For me, the winner was the "Garmin vivoactive 3M" watch and a pair of Jabra Elite Sport wireless earbuds.    Very happy with both. 

As soon as I return home, the watch syncs with an app on the phone and I can see all type of details about the run: a map, pace, heart rate, elevation, stride, etc.    It was interesting to see the elevation and pace together on the same graph.  I found that as I go up a hill my pace slows as as expected, but when it levels off my pace wasn't picking back up for quite some time.    Garmin did a good jobs on the software.

3 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

I spent a lot of time a month or so back looking at running watches.   There are a lot of good watches, so it really comes down to what features you want.   For me, I decided that the features I needed were  GPS tracking and bluetooth music.   I don't carry my phone on my runs, so I need my watch to be the source of my music.   For me, the winner was the "Garmin vivoactive 3M" watch and a pair of Jabra Elite Sport wireless earbuds.    Very happy with both. 

As soon as I return home, the watch syncs with an app on the phone and I can see all type of details about the run: a map, pace, heart rate, elevation, stride, etc.    It was interesting to see the elevation and pace together on the same graph.  I found that as I go up a hill my pace slows as as expected, but when it levels off my pace wasn't picking back up for quite some time.    Garmin did a good jobs on the software.

I went with the Forerunner 235 and I love it. I usually run with my dogs and carry a waist leash that has a pouch for my phone so I don't need the music feature yet. It's so much more accurate for what I need than Apple Watch. So glad I switched now that I want to be a more consistent and better runner.

3 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said: