2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

After a loooong offseason, it’s time. 

Will we finally see some real improvement in the win column this season? Will the OL play better than 5 trash cans (without wheels) lined up?  Are some of our freshmen ready for prime time? Will we settle on a starter at QB and finally see him string together several starts without injury? Will we challenge for the Big 12 championship again for the first time in a long time?

The answers begin unfolding before our very eyes today. 

4 hours ago, Tex Long said:

I'll have the Usual, please: 10-2 +/- 2. I can see 8-4 and 12-0 is fucking remote, but I can imagine it.

I can see 10-2 and I can see 8-4. I don’t think I can see 12-0. The offensive improvement to get us there would be off the charts. 

Offensive Line is key. This unit’s consistent ineptitude over the years have demoralized players, coaches and fans.

Also, Connor Williams not going in the first round means that John fucking Mackovic first recruited our last offensive lineman picked in the 1st round - Mike Williams (signed by Mack Brown in his 1st season).

38 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I can see 10-2 and I can see 8-4. I don’t think I can see 12-0. The offensive improvement to get us there would be off the charts. 

Yeah... the four losses by less than a touchdown are easy to see as wins, with a decent OL and RB game and a QB with a year under his belt and without the need to be the hero. Yep, yep. That'd get to 10-2, and like you, I can see it. 

The other two wins to get to 12-0, though... gonna take all of the above, plus some luck, plus some un-fucked reffing, plus some Charlie-esque game management by an opposing coach. I ain't putting any cash on that, not unless Vegas is offering million-to-one odds... hmmm... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

Offensive Line is key. This unit’s consistent ineptitude over the years have demoralized players, coaches and fans.

Also, Connor Williams not going in the first round means that John fucking Mackovic first recruited our last offensive lineman picked in the 1st round - Mike Williams (signed by Mack Brown in his 1st season).

The o-line is always the key....

When they suck so will your RB's and QB's.

Joe Montana and Ricky Williams would have sucked behind the o-lines we have put on the field the last several years.

37 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

The o-line is always the key....

When they suck so will your RB's and QB's.

Joe Montana and Ricky Williams would have sucked behind the o-lines we have put on the field the last several years.

this is one of those things that never ceases to amaze me. everyone, who has any knowledge of football at all, knows this to be sacrosanct.  yet pro and college coaches and personnel people still refuse to address this obvious tenant that you must have a good OL and DL to be successful, there are very few exceptions.  

a good OL makes the rest of your offensive personnel better.  give any spare pro QB all day to throw and they can all pick you apart, any average RB can run though gaping holes for 100 yards. conversely, when you have a good DL then your CB's cover better because they have to cover for a shorter period of time, and your LB's make more tackles because the DL has tied up the OL of the offense.

why texas has allowed this dearth of having good OL players go on for so long is beyond me.  you build from the lines out, not the other way around.

if anyone here would like some more painfully obvious football takes just PM me and i'll send you my Paypal info and you can sign up for my newsletter, first week free...

Edited by Mileslong
  • Like 6

I don’t think we necessarily “allowed” the OL shitstorm. It was a combination of lazy evaluations, poor recruiting, heavy attrition, and injuries that caused the problem. We just haven’t been able to get out of the hole. Last year was set up to be a decent OL year, and we ended up being decimated by injuries.

Surely, we will hold up this season. Surely. 

5 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I don’t think we necessarily “allowed” the OL shitstorm. It was a combination of lazy evaluations, poor recruiting, heavy attrition, and injuries that caused the problem. We just haven’t been able to get out of the hole. Last year was set up to be a decent OL year, and we ended up being decimated by injuries.

Surely, we will hold up this season. Surely. 

Obligatory: "And don't call me Shirley."

• Like 1

IT Season Preview: Defensive Line

Other than recruiting there isn't a whole lot in the off-season to tide us over other than talking about the team. Because of that, most of you know the current roster about as well as anyone. However, I do find it a worthwhile exercise to reassess each position and player one more time ahead of the season as a way to resharpen our familiarity with each.

I'm going to start with the defensive line because I believe it will set the tempo for the entire team. With its mix of experience, developed talent, and infusion of youth, the defensive line should be the most consistent week-in, week-out performers on the team.

SR DE Breckyn Hager, #44, 6-3, 255: Past: Unheralded linebacker/defensive end from a heralded football family. Present: He won't come off the field much this season. He can play an outside stand-up role or put his hand in the ground as a 4i defensive end. He'll play nose tackle if you ask him to. A hyper-aggressive player who is physically in the best shape of his life. Future: Hager should spend as much time on the other side of the line of scrimmage as his own. In many ways he's become the heart and soul of the team, so good play from him should inspire others. Explosive edge play will have his name called at next year's NFL draft.

SR DE Charles Omenihu, #90, 6-6, 275: Past: Underrated due to long-term growth curve but upon thorough evaluation he had immense upside due to his length, ability to play with leverage, and mental evaluation. Present: Has flashed immense potential at times but has yet to fill the stat sheet like he can. Started 12 games last season and barring injury will start them all this year. Future: Both Omenihu and Hager should see their statistics increase dramatically as defensive coordinator Todd Orlando looks to employ a four-man front more often. Both ends should also be aided by a stout secondary. Omenihu is already on the radar of NFL scouting departments but he has the chance to become a very well known commodity this season.

SR DT Chris Nelson, #97, 6-1, 315: Past: Florida transplant who played linebacker into his junior year of high school, though he projected to defensive tackle. Present: With the prevalence of three-man fronts, Nelson has played end for much of his career. His body type won't lend to stuffing the stat sheet from end, but he can play the run well. Future: Nelson will try to fill the void left by Poona Ford as he swings inside to his natural habitat. The more disruptive he can be, the better off the linebackers will have it. At a bare minimum he should be above average.

SR DL Jamari Chisholm, #91, 6-4, 300: Past: Originally from Valdosta, Georgia, he attended Northeastern Oklahoma A&M prior to Texas. Present: Has only seen spot action, though his frame lends to versatility. Future: Chisholm looks the part and should be solid depth or someone who finishes games late.

JR DT Gerald Wilbon, #94, 6-3, 310: Past: Barrel-chested interior lineman who was part of a monster defensive line class in Louisiana. Present: Was recruited to be more of a two-gapper but has done well to keep weight off in hopes to become more disruptive as a gap-taker. Thus far he's been solid. Future: Should see snaps increase in four-man looks, or as a substitute for Nelson in three-man. There's nothing spectacular about him, but there's always a place for workmanlike effort and strength in the trenches. Should be good versus the run.

JR DT D'Andre Christmas, #55, 6-3, 315: Past: Was a late-bloomer due to sitting out his junior year of high school due to a transfer. As a senior showed great ability to disrupt off the ball. Present: The most notable aspect of his time at Texas thus far is dropping the -Giles from his name. Apparently Oscar has yet to forgive him. Future: We should see more of Christmas this season but he's already firmly on the Gaskamp watch list for 2019.

SO DL Ta'Quon Graham, #49, 6-4, 285: Past: Blossomed from a 220 pound edge rusher to 260 pound defensive linemen over the course of his high school career. An injury filled senior season kept his ranking lower than it should have been. Present: Arrived with a mental maturity that immediately impressed the coaches. His physical maturity helped, too. One of the strongest players on the team. Saw action in 12 games as a true freshman. Future: He sounds like a big part of the plans this season as a possible first alternate at both defensive end and tackle. Guys like Graham give efficacy to playing multiple fronts. Probably a year away from a breakout, but he'll show plenty of promise this season.

SO DE Marqez Bimage, #42, 6-2, 255: Past: With one of the best first-steps in the 2017 class, Bimage was only a three-star because of his lack of length and positional clarity. Linebacker or defensive end? This staff didn't care and he was a priority at Houston and then at Texas. Present: Currently known as having the strongest squat on the team (700 pounds), he'll likely become better known for playing with aggression and explosiveness off the edge as a back-up to Hager. Future: Expect to see Bimage show promise this season before becoming a starter or heavy-rotation player in 2019. The staff wants to throw waves of grown men at offenses, and guys like Graham and Bimage fits the bill.

SO DE Andrew Fitzgerald, #48, 6-5, 265: Past: A technical defensive end with an exceptional frame and motor. Present: Amazingly he has yet to see the field after red-shirting and then missing time last year with an injury. Fitzgerald has made strides to get stronger in his time on campus. Future: Unsure. I was high on him coming out of high school but now I don't know what to expect of him. Sources indicate he'll play this year but I don't know how much.

FR DL Moro Ojomo, #98, 6-2, 285: Past: Moved to California from Nigeria when he was seven. With their ultimate goal to live in America, the family continued on to Texas when Ojomo was in the seventh grade. There he found his way into the Katy farm system. Present: Ojomo is best known for looking and playing like a full grown man at the age of 16. Future: Despite his age he'll likely prove too good to red-shirt. Expect him to get experience this season before taking on an expanded role in 2019. He has the look of a gap-shooting terror.

FR DT Keondre Coburn, #99, 6-3, 330: Past: Was 6-1.5, 330, but apparently grew like a few others. As a recruit reviews were mixed on Coburn but I think he has rare quickness and solid lateral ability for his body type. He does play with the power you'd expect. Present: Playing time is on the table for Coburn, but he's going to have to prove to be in shape and reliable. Future: Worst case scenario he should be an anchor in the middle but he has the raw ability to be more if he puts in the work. I think he'll put in the work.

FR DL Mike Williams, #37, 6-2, 275: Past: An already big quarterback who kept getting bigger, Williams showed actual dual-threat ability and might have stayed there had he not been so big boned. Present: The Henry Melton plan -- from offense to defense while wearing #37 -- is already off to a fast start. Sources have raved about his work in the weight room and ability to move in agility drills. Future: I don't think they'll need him to play this year, but I'm not sure they'll be able to keep him off the field early, especially with their eye towards 2019.

FR DL Daniel Carson, #88, 6-4, 300: Past: I was early on liking Carson and was upset when I didn't think they'd get him. It's easy to see he has a nice stain and scratch-free resistant floor, but I think there's a bit more ceiling there than he's given credit for. Interestingly, in his native Missouri he won state in shot put with a throw that would have been two feet better than the Texas 5A winner (would have been third in 6A). Present: Per a source, that 300 pound listing is in the ballpark which changes his projection. Future: I believe Carson will red-shirt due to technical limitations, but as an interior player with length and defensive end-ish athleticism, I think Carson has a chance to be the biggest steal in the class relative to expectations.

IT Season Preview: Offensive Line

In the second installment of preseason positional previews, we'll look at the most important unit on the team, and definitely the most important heading into the season: offensive line.

A year ago we were already wondering what Texas would do at left tackle with Connor Williams certain to depart after the 2017 season. With the addition of Rice graduate transfer Calvin Anderson, Tom Herman and Herb Hand filled that void as capably as the situation allowed. The question of left tackle is now largely answered and play will almost assuredly be drastically improved over last season but other questions have emerged. Fortunately there are some positive answers.

Injuries were the key ingredient to the s*** sandwich the team was forced to eat last season. Coordination and coaching weren't great, more the wilted lettuce and green tomatoes, but not the meat of the problems.

Injuries are a crap shoot year in and year out. Predicting health is impossible though because fatigue often plays a role in injuries. It is encouraging the that the team is in good shape. Coordination is very likely upgraded with the addition of Herb Hand. He'll make the call on blocking schemes, and since he'll be the ones teaching scheme and technique coaching is also upgraded.

There are a couple more reasons to feel optimistic about improved line play: more experience at quarterback and significantly upgraded play at a tight end position that often serves as a 'help' offensive lineman.

SR Patrick Vahe, #77, 6-3, 325: Past: A highly sought after interior o-lineman, Vahe married transferable collegiate traits with stellar production in a fantastic high school career. Present: Has had a bit of an up and down career at Texas, though it's hard not to feel sympathetic for him given all the offensive line coaching shake-ups (fourth o-line coach in four years!) he's endured. Future: Vahe has run the gamut on level of play at Texas but is poised for a good finale. Though he and Calvin Anderson won't have much time to develop chemistry together, having nearly 70 career starts between them should foster a good relationship sooner rather than later. Texas has a pretty athletic left side for Herb Hand to get on the move.

SR Calvin Anderson, #66, 6-5, 300: Past: Very lightly recruited out of Westlake high school due to lack of size. Present: Statistically one of the best returning left tackles in the country. Plenty of size, athleticism, and experience with 36 career starts. Future: Anderson is assuredly going to win his spot on the line but he's going to face a dramatic increase in competition. Fortunately Texas has the defensive ends to acclimate him quickly. When asked how good Anderson was, Herman somewhat dismissively asked, "did you see his film at Rice?" What's important is Anderson will be a dramatic upgrade over anyone else on the roster and he improves the overall potential of the unit/offense, but he may have his share of struggles at times. No matter, he's very likely a gift from football gods who took a little too much the year prior.

RS SR Elijah Rodriguez, #72, 6-5, 305: Past: Was a late-bloomer and a late addition to the class of 2014. Present: Missed every snap of the season save the bowl game against Missouri in which he started at left tackle (does anything else underline the importance of adding Anderson than this?). The offense looked more cohesive at times when he was on the field than it did for long stretches of the season, though E-Rod isn't the long-term fix at the position. Future: E-Rod's versatility to play any position should be applauded, however, UT's best line may have him coming off the bench as the 6th man. He'll be penciled in as 1st team right guard but he'll have competition.

JR Denzel Okafor, #78, 6-4, 305: Past: Okafor profiled as an underrated but exciting guard/tackle with advanced technical ability. Present: The problem with poor depth extends beyond the obvious of forcing players to see the field before they’re ready. If depth is really bad, players are needed at a position they're unfit for. Okafor should have red-shirted but didn't. He should have been a guard, but he was needed at right tackle. Last year he was needed at left tackle meaning he was well out of position. In a healthy program this year would be our first look at him and there would be a measure of excitement to see him take the field. He spent the spring at left tackle where he still struggled. Because he's a guard. Future: I would try to play him in no more than four games this year and give him the red-shirt he deserves. If the staff can trust Sam Cosmi as the third tackle, Okafor would then be able to compete at his more natural position. His power is unquestionable (650 squat) and he's a plus athlete for guard. Don't give up on him yet.

JR Zach Shackelford, #56, 6-4, 305: Past: Texas desperately needed a center prospect and was able to flip Shackelford by telling the Belton product, "if you just commit here, you can save yourself a drive to Manhattan, Kansas." Present: Predictably Shackelford became an immediate starter and has remained a constant at center when healthy. He has often dealt with ankle injuries that certainly don't help when trying to anchor. The biggest negative of Shackelford thus far has been his issues snapping. Future: Texas would like to find competition for him but the staff has been busy addressing more pressing issues. Shackelford is a good bet to start with E-Rod serving as his primary back-up.

SO Derek Kerstetter, #68, 6-6, 305: Past: I don't see how he's 6-6 but I haven't stood next to him in a year and a half. Coming out of high school I felt his ceiling was center (where he played in the Army All-American game) or guard. I compared him to Chris Hall in his ability to play tackle out of necessity but I felt he would be an interior player on a good line. Present: Herman begrudgingly pulled Kerstetter's red-shirt early last season and started him 10 games at right tackle. To be entirely expected the season was a mixed bag with plenty of struggles, but on balance Kerstetter battled and showed promise. Future: Being thrown to the wolves undoubtedly prepared him for this season in ways a red-shirt would not have. If he makes the natural improvement players make from their first year to second he's going to be perfectly adequate this season and will have the look of a permanent fixture at right tackle.

RS SO Tope Imade, #67, 6-5, 330: Past: Big, powerful guard with decent feet that some felt was a reach for Joe Wickline. Not the most athletic lineman you'll find but I liked him. Present: First off the bus. He has yet to see the field though that shouldn't be considered a negative. Switching to defensive tackle for a time did his offensive line development no favors but he's back on the right side of the ball. Sidenote: He was the unofficial lead recruiter on high four-star Tyler Johnson. Future: He's known for being aggressive and powerful off the ball which lends itself to Herb Hand's favorite play -- inside zone. I think he's on a fine timeline to compete for what might be two open guard spots in 2019. Hopefully Texas fans get used to forgetting about offensive line recruits and the staff reaches the point where it's replacing grown men with grown men.

RS SO Patrick Hudson, #73, 6-5, 330: Past: Hudson was one of the top recruits in the nation for the class of 2016 but I urged patience because he was on a long timeline. Present: First off the bus Part II. He's only seen a handful of snaps but his power and athleticism are evident. An unfortunate injury early last season robbed him of important development. Future: The future is still as bright as it was when he was mauling poor kids in Silsbee. He still has technical aspects to iron out but his play-strength is Bunyan-esque and his athleticism can mitigate technical shortcomings somewhat. He should surface as Rodriguez's primary competition at right guard. Hope for a healthy, productive camp.

RS SO JP Urquidez, #71, 6-6, 295: Past: Like Hudson, Urquidez originally signed with Baylor before being let out of his LOI. Prior to that he was on the Texas radar for years. Present: He's currently listed at second team right tackle but that doesn't mean he's Kerstetter's direct replacement. Future: Like Hudson I felt Urquidez would require time to develop. Let the coaches earn their money and check back in a year.

RS FR Sam Cosmi, #52, 6-5, 295: Past: Originally committed to this staff when it was at Houston. I'd heard they were very high on him and he'd be a guy they wanted to bring to Texas. A red-shirt year later and he's competing. Present: Herman was very tempted to play Cosmi in the chaos of last year but made the correct decision to preserve the red-shirt. Internally expectations are high for Cosmi but he didn't have as good of a spring as many had hoped. I'm unconcerned, Cosmi can move his feet in pass protection and play with a flat back in the run game. Future: He's easily the most likely to start at left tackle in 2019, but first he needs to prove to the staff he's the third best tackle on the team.

FR Junior Angilau, #75, 6-5, 300: Past: A dirt moving Tonga truck in the ground game, the only question was if that truck could go in reverse. There was very little footage of him in pass protection. Who cares, he obviously has the athleticism to learn. Present: Probably has the athleticism and length for tackle but let's not overthink it, if you want to run the ball up the middle you need guys like Angilau inside. Plus he wouldn't have to be as refined in pass protection. Future: I suspect we'll see him within the four allowed appearances and then he'll be competing to start at guard in 2019. Eventually he'll become a dirt burglar moving Tonga truck.

FR Reese Moore, #76, 6-6, 295: Past: Known for being an exceptional athlete (good basketball player) for the position, though because he played tight end he was considered a pretty significant project. I'll quibble with that a bit because most of his time at tight end was spent as a blocker. Still, playing tight end against poor competition demands some patience. Present: He'll red-shirt and learn from Herb Hand and Calvin Anderson. He'll probably learn from Breckyn Hager and Charles Omenihu too. Future:I see the makings of a great left tackle but it's up to him to take to coaching, take to the weight room, and to put it all together.

FR Rafiti Ghirmai, #74, 6-5, 300: Past: Texas applied consistent recruiting pressure to land the tackle/guard prospect. I think he ended up being under-appreciated with his senior film being good. Present: The old adage 'you're a tackle until you're not' applies here. I've always been a fan of 'maybe tackles' because with the right build and temperament they have the chance to be a really good guard. Future: We know the staff prefers length at guard and Ghrimai has that, but it's still too early to know what his ultimate position will be. These next two years are important for any young offensive linemen. Embrace the grind and keep chopping at the depth chart.

FR Christian Jones, #70, 6-5, 305: Past: Only started playing football as a junior and because of that he largely depended on just running around and doing football-type things like running into people. It was pretty humorous to watch, but in between collisions it became clear he had a lot of unteachable traits. Present: His developmental curve makes Patrick Hudson seem like a day-one starter, but the staff took him knowing this full well. Future: No clue and I could even see him ending up on the defensive line if offensive line development is too long a row to hoe.

How it could all shake out:

Anderson-Vahe-Shackelford-Rodriguez-Kerstetter

From left to right this the current most likely starting group for Maryland. If a change is made, I'd have Hudson in place of E-Rod as the most likely. 

Don't be surprised if after the very first practice you hear of Okafor or Cosmi ahead of Anderson. The coaches might prefer to not jusvgive the job to Calvin. It will largely be meaningless so don't hyperventilate on the internet. 

Second team in practice will probably look like this: Cosmi-Imade-Rodriguez-Hudson-Okafor

Kerstetter and Rodriguez will likely both rep center, but if Shackelford is hurt it's easier to move E-Rod from guard and insert Hudson than Kerstetter from right tackle and insert Okafor. 

Over the course of the season I expect many different guys will work at center to build depth.

As I've stated, depth charts on the offensive line are meaningless. Real depth materializes in who the 6th, 7th, and 8th offensive lineman, or the 3rd guard and 3rd tackle. 

Early on I could see Okafor as the 6th lineman because he can play tackle or guard. He'll be pushed at guard by Hudson and tackle by Cosmi, however.

With a new coach, the addition of Calvin Anderson, the return of Rodriguez and Hudson, and Kerstetter and Okafor's versatility, this line could conceivably look different as camp wears on.

I say to myself, "show me a loss", but when I talk to people, I just say we'll see. I have a patient going to the Maryland game and while I had a good time last year drinking and sitting on row 1 in front of the Maryland cheerleaders, I have to say it is hard to be confident that we will destroy them.