2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

Why I'm hopeful for 9 wins:

-It is insane how close Texas was to 10 or even 11 wins last year.  USC, Tech, and Oklahoma State are all wins if Ehlinger doesn't turn it over at the end of each.  Oklahoma was there for the taking.
-We will most likely have 10 upperclassmen starting on defense and all of them are at least solid to potentially really good (Omenihu, Hager, Nelson, Johnson, Wheeler, Roach, Boyd, Davis, Jones, Locke)
-Our defensive coordinator has prevented opponents from getting to 30 points in 31 of his last 39 games.  Nobody in the Big 12 has yet to get 30 on him (in regulation).
-The offense really just needs to be average, and their talent is about average (other than WR).
-The Big 12 should be down, especially the teams that have consistently beaten us lately.

Why I'm doubtful:

-The offensive line.
-Tim Beck
-It's been so long, I'm beaten down.

• Like 2

As with every other season this decade, our win total will be dictated by QB play. I think 7-8 wins is the ceiling without above average QB performance (aka what we’ve had for last 8 years). Assuming Sam is the guy and he takes the next step and becomes an all-conference player, then we can win 10 games if not more. Otherwise, it’ll be more of the same unfortunately.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Tim Beck 

1st down.  Porter off tackle.

2nd down.  Ehlinger draw

3rd down.  Ehlinger draw

4th down.  Roll Ehlinger out to short side of field with WR dragging across end zone amd TE/RB in flat.  QB hold ball long time then throw it wide so that WR catches out of bounds.

• Haha 1

I have a two axis view of any Longhorn football season: Expectation and Enthusiasm. The Expectation axis is set high. Longhorn football should be a conference title contender, so 9-10 wins is generally about the bottom of my expectations settings. (Even when we have sucked, we have had years where we 'Shocked the Nation' or won the conference title game as a decided underdog.) Enthusiasm is how excited I am about are chances of meeting or surpassing expectations. This is probably the first time since 2012 that my enthusiasm level matches the expectations.

I'm not drinking the Kool Aid like I used to. Last summer's hype and then the Maryland debacle left me so deflated that I'm keeping myself grounded this summer and taking more of a wait and see approach. But 8 wins is the absolute floor for our expected growth towards becoming a powerhouse again. We should easily get that and a bowl victory.

And FCB.

And Fuck ou.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SKA the boss said:

I'm not drinking the Kool Aid like I used to. Last summer's hype and then the Maryland debacle left me so deflated that I'm keeping myself grounded this summer and taking more of a wait and see approach. But 8 wins is the absolute floor for our expected growth towards becoming a powerhouse again. We should easily get that and a bowl victory.

And FCB.

And Fuck ou.

White Freightliner gonna' haul away my brain. 

And fuck ou.

• Like 1

Other than factors outside our team, I think the difference between 6 and 10 wins this season boils down to OL, OL, OL, and OL. How well have our returning guys matured physically and mentally, how well do we develop as a unit rather than spare parts, how well does Anderson live up to the hope, and how snakebit are we by injury. QB, Beck, all that other crap will rise and fall with the line.

12 minutes ago, horngasm said:

I am curious why anyone thinks we will improve this year?

Our best players are gone.

OLine will be worse.

Our QBs haven't progressed since they set foot on campus.

Beck and the binder.

Username does not check out. Also the OL will be better - everyone's a year stronger and Anderson should be competent.

Edited by texifornia

8-9 wins including bowl.  I think we are one more year away from title contention.  We just need our O Line and QB's to beef up for another season.  I do think we can win one or two more games (Tech/OSU) more than we did last year.  Maryland for sure.

19 minutes ago, horngasm said:

OLine will be worse.

Beck and the binder.

Because OUsux, bitchhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Like 1

1 hour ago, horngasm said:

OLine will be worse.

Beck and the binder.

Oh look, another aggy douchebag joined.