Where can I get bread rolls for Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches?

C-Man

I cannot for the life of me find anywhere to get adequate bread for homemade Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches. I made some pretty good ones earlier in the summer but was forced to use French rolls or something like that. I just want good Italian sub rolls, right? Jimmy's didn't even have any that I could find. Where should I go?

• 6 months later...
On 8/2/2018 at 2:42 PM, C-Man said:

I cannot for the life of me find anywhere to get adequate bread for homemade Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches. I made some pretty good ones earlier in the summer but was forced to use French rolls or something like that. I just want good Italian sub rolls, right? Jimmy's didn't even have any that I could find. Where should I go?

C-Man...you ever find a good solution for this quandary?

What kind of bread are you getting?  First time I ate there, I got the Italian bread.  I figured that was a no brainer...being Jimmys and all.  I mean, when in Rome, do as (almost literally).  Well it was VERY meh.  And yeah, completely due to the bread.  Then someone told me that their Italian bread pretty much sucks and to go with the white or wheat.  Who would of thought?  I’ve never had a bad one since.  I’ll put their stallion on white (and that bread) up against just about any sandwich in town.

@C-Man I know you said you already checked there, but my thought on using that bread for philly cheese steaks is that you can probably get them to just sell you some of the white rolls from the deli.  Even if it’s not something they really normally sell.  Their normal bread “section” is pretty underwhelming, but I’ve gotten them to sell me a couple other things off menu so they may be cool will bagging up a few rolls from the deli.  I may give it a try this week.  Worth a shot anyway

• Like 2

On 2/23/2019 at 1:59 PM, C-Man said:

Nope. But interesting bump as I was thinking of doing this again this weekend.

So, yeah...went to Jimmy's today and they gave me their rolls from the deli, no problem.  I don't think they even charged me for them (got a bunch of stuff so I think they just threw them in).  Should be the best option in town for philly cheesesteak from what I can tell.  I'll make some this week and report back.

I've tried very hard to find suitable Philly rolls (in Austin) and it's almost impossible.  Of course, I have no idea what's available in D-FW.  

Best I've found here is Delaware Subs, as they will sell their large rolls (~ 12" for $1.35).  Another option that should be available anywhere is a Mexican bolillo.  Neither is a perfect substitute for great Phillly French bread, and none of the local French bread I've found is suitable either.

I've never seen a "submarine" roll worth a shit.  Most are crappy 6-packs by Pepperidge Farms or some such and they might as well be hot dog buns.

Oh yeah, another option -- Randall's sells something called a "filone" which is actually a pretty good approximation of a Philly roll, but most of the time they don't have much in the way of plain (but of course you can get a ton of asiago/jalapeno/olive/whatever which would all suck for a cheesesteak).

Edited by jimmyjazz

4 hours ago, immamac said:

Hoagies are called "submarine rolls" in Texas. HEB sells them, but I'd try any grocer with a real bakery. 

Haven't found anything like that at Central Market, Whole Foods or the fancied-up Tom Thumbs. Got something that worked OK from Tom Thumb but it was far from perfect. Gonna do what Lando did and hit Jimmy's counter. I didn't think to ask them last time, just looked around and saw nothing like I was looking for.

On 2/25/2019 at 11:52 PM, C-Man said:

Haven't found anything like that at Central Market, Whole Foods or the fancied-up Tom Thumbs. Got something that worked OK from Tom Thumb but it was far from perfect. Gonna do what Lando did and hit Jimmy's counter. I didn't think to ask them last time, just looked around and saw nothing like I was looking for.

Made them with Jimmy's rolls last night.  Worked good...not great.

On one hand, they were just the right consistency to almost melt into the sandwich with each bite.  That part was really delicious.

On the other hand, they weren't what I would consider sturdy enough to really hold up to a philly cheesesteak.  That part made them pretty messy.

If I had it to do over, I definitely would have grilled both sides to add a little more sturdiness.  I just buttered and grilled the inside which made the outside a little too soft and the inside pretty sturdy.

Either way, I think I'd still choose these over what I've found from stores.  If nothing else, just for an excuse to go to Jimmy's...love that place.

Mrs Landomatic and Jr Landomatic raved about them...so maybe it was the right move?

SlMKXZ.jpg

0dpzWD.jpg