Visiting Austin this weekend

HOOK'EMHOOAH

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2018 at 3:02 AM, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

I maybe should've thought about starting this thread a week or so ago when I decided to take this trip. Where are the best bars at right now for picking up some strange?

In Alabama all of it is strange... bring makeup wipes...or better yet, don't

Flying in to Austin midday Thursday and out Saturday am.  Staying at the Van Zandt.  Meals planned:
-Ironworks BBQ Thursday late lunch
- Eddie V's Thursday inner
- Lambert's lunch Friday
- Kemuri-Tatsuya Friday dinner.

Erase everything except k-tatsuya and start over. Friday lunch should be Perry's pork chop.

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Bruin, are you asking for advice or are you just telling us which less than stellar restaurants you'll be eating at?

I guess I’m just telling you as our company has an executive retreat and everything is planned.  Just got the itinerary.

12 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I don’t think anyone has gone to Iron Works this century.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Iron Works because they catered my post-wedding party in 2004, and a group of us from work used to have lunch there often before the growth of new downtown restaurants in the latter part of the 00s.  But I haven't been there in several years, and I wonder if they still even get decent foot traffic from the convention center. 

On 9/26/2018 at 9:21 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

Back in town for the first time since 2012 next weekend for a conference. Staying at JW Marriott.

Have a free Monday night dinner, should I try Moonshine? 

Not my favorite.  How close do you need to stick to the hotel?  What kind of food are you interested in?

Moonshine is fine, but it's not particularly unique.

If you squint, you can see the spot at the top right of the far upper deck where my shitty season tickets were, and where my (now ex-) wife looked at me when 66-3 hit halftime and said "give me the car keys".

I did, and just followed her out.  That was the most brutal day.  Unbearably hot, and a monumental ass-kicking.  Fuck you John Mackovic.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not my favorite.  How close do you need to stick to the hotel?  What kind of food are you interested in?

Moonshine is fine, but it's not particularly unique.

We have a concert at Scoot Inn at 8 we need to get to. 

I went to UT two summers way back (01, 02) abd grew up in Longview but moved to Pennsylvania in 2006 and only been back twice but really never downtown. 

Looking for southern style that we can get to from the JW Marriott, treat abd over to Scoot in about a 2 hr total span so traffic fucks me over there a bit. Probably will meet friends Sunday night for tacos so something not Tex-Mexico whatever.

37 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

We have a concert at Scoot Inn at 8 we need to get to. 

I went to UT two summers way back (01, 02) abd grew up in Longview but moved to Pennsylvania in 2006 and only been back twice but really never downtown. 

Looking for southern style that we can get to from the JW Marriott, treat abd over to Scoot in about a 2 hr total span so traffic fucks me over there a bit. Probably will meet friends Sunday night for tacos so something not Tex-Mexico whatever.

If you’re looking for southern style, try Fixe or Olamaie. Both should be an easy uber ride to Scoot after dinner.

• Like 1