Officer Involved Shooting at Spicewood Springs and Mesa

APMP

Couldn't get to my yoga studio because the street was blocked off.  Fuck you shooter/shootee.  In the meantime the Houston doc shooter offed himself pretty much across the street from my parents' house, police/media is set up in my parents' front yard so I've gotten a play-by-play of all that from my mom.  Hell of a morning.

Edited by M12BH

2 hours ago, The University said:

Dang. That all happened right by a day care. Can you imagine how much the parents of those kids at day care are freaking out? Police ram a car and spin it out, and then gunfire on the street, all within 100 yards of where your kids are? I bet there are a bunch of freaked out parents blowing up the day care right now. 

1 hour ago, hornian said:

Dang. That all happened right by a day care. Can you imagine how much the parents of those kids at day care are freaking out? 

I made the mistake of thinking it would all be over at 12:45 when I was heading back to my office.  Nope.  Entire intersection and half the Randall's parking lot taped off, banged up cop SUV still in the middle of the street, a half dozen or more cop cars scattered about, everybody looking self-important, and a shit ton of parents on the sidewalk between Mesa and Torchy's looking pretty worried.

It can't possibly take that long to clear a crime scene.

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I made the mistake of thinking it would all be over at 12:45 when I was heading back to my office.  Nope.  Entire intersection and half the Randall's parking lot taped off, banged up cop SUV still in the middle of the street, a half dozen or more cop cars scattered about, everybody looking self-important, and a shit ton of parents on the sidewalk between Mesa and Torchy's looking pretty worried.

It can't possibly take that long to clear a crime scene.

It was still shut down when I left my office at 5:15.

9 hours ago, M12BH said:

Couldn't get to my yoga studio because the street was blocked off.  Fuck you shooter/shootee.  In the meantime the Houston doc shooter offed himself pretty much across the street from my parents' house, police/media is set up in my parents' front yard so I've gotten a play-by-play of all that from my mom.  Hell of a morning.

Sorry to hear about your yoga class.

No, not really.

I think it was called “The Country’s Best Yogurt”. It was near where Jack Allen’s is now.

I’m 99% sure it was I Cant Believe It’s Not Yogurt, not TCBY. It was on the other side of Anderson from Jack Allen’s. Same center as Gatti’s, Jimmy Johns, etc. There’s a small memorial on one of the traffic islands with a little white picket fence around it.

I’m 99% sure it was I Cant Believe It’s Not Yogurt, not TCBY. It was on the other side of Anderson from Jack Allen’s. Same center as Gatti’s, Jimmy Johns, etc. There’s a small memorial on one of the traffic islands with a little white picket fence around it.
This is correct. TCBY was on Far West.

It was Dallas-based I Can’t Believe It’s Yogurt. They had it first, so they sued This Can’t Be Yogurt over the name. The latter became The Country’’s Best Yogurt, or TCBY. I wrote the insurance for TCBY when they were still headquartered in Little Rock. They eventually grew to over 1,700 locations, but now they have a fraction of that number. I’m not sure if I Can’t Believe It’s Yogurt even exists now. 

There was a I Can’t Believe It’s Yogurt location off The Drag, not far from GM Steakhouse, circa 1981.  My now wife made a weekly pilgrimage back then. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

On 8/3/2018 at 12:13 PM, M12BH said:

The horror

11 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

They can solve the golden state killer murders from the 70s and 80s and many others as well now with ancestral dna but for some reason can’t seem to solve this one. 

Hmm....

Yeah, no shit.  My little sister was at UT at the time of the murders and worked two jobs - at Jazzercize and across the street at that ICBY shop.  She was scheduled to work that Friday night, but asked for the night off to attend a K98 promotional dance team tryout.  APD had failed to interview her in the weeks that followed, and I called them to ask them WTF kind of an investigation they were running if they were not interviewing people that worked there at the time.  Months passed before APD called me back.  When they finally did, they wanted to interview me.  I agreed.  

After an hour of being grilled by homocide detectives with questions like "we know it was you, but we want to know who was with you", I was in tears, and snapped.  I stood up from my chair and started screaming at them how fucked they were accusing citizens trying to help solve the crime, that they clearly had no fucking clue, and were never going to solve the murders, and ordered them to fuck off and arrest me or let me leave.  The APD psychologist in the room stood up and finally said she believed me and I could leave, but they were going to call my girlfriend, who lived with her parents, and check my alibi.  I honestly had no idea where I was that night, but I was sure I was with her on any given Friday night.  Her Mormon mother answered the phone when APD called, and she told them she keeps a detailed journal, and I was with her daughter at a church dance with 100 witneses at the time of the murders.

It scarred me and my family.  I've told that story to more than one judge over the years when asked for trial duty voire dire if I had any reason to not trust APD.  I would later learn that APD conducted hundreds of such interviews with many that included torturing subjects with pepper spray, pointing pistols at their head, etc.  In fairness, APD was under extreme pressure to solve the murders and were left with very little evidence after the fire and water damage to the crime scene.  But that does not excuse the fucked up investigation they conducted and how it shaped my fucked up view of LEO.  

I'm old now with teens of my own working in the immediate area and my thoughts go back to the families of the murdered girls and the justice denied to them 27 years and counting.  Fucking tragic not cool story, bro.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

They can solve the golden state killer murders from the 70s and 80s and many others as well now with ancestral dna but for some reason can’t seem to solve this one. 

Hmm....

The fire department sprayed thousands of gallons of water onto the crime scene before realizing it was a crime scene, and APD had tunnel vision when it came to who they suspected, and put their best, false-confession-forcing detective on the case. No surprise it was never solved.