Anyone done Peace Corps?

Zombie

8 minutes ago, RoundRobin said:

I did. I had just graduated from Yale and was on the run from my bookie. I managed to get to La Guardia and take my roommate’s place on the Peace Corps plane to Thailand. Had a good time with a chick named Beth. Met a dork named Tom Tuttle. Fought some drug traffickers and some commies. Not bad, overall. 

/thread

14 minutes ago, RoundRobin said:

I did. I had just graduated from Yale and was on the run from my bookie. I managed to get to La Guardia and take my roommate’s place on the Peace Corps plane to Thailand. Had a good time with a chick named Beth. Met a dork named Tom Tuttle. Fought some drug traffickers and some commies. Not bad, overall. 

Goddamnt. Respek.

I just wanted to get as far away from things as possible. So Elaine and I joined the Peace Corps. We were assigned to an isolated tribe, the Molombos. They had never seen Americans before. At first, they didn't know what to think of us; but soon we gained their trust.  It really was a challenge during the year introducing them to our Western culture.  You must understand that these people had  been completely isolated from civilization.  We also emphasized nutrition and taught them to watch their diets.  The exercise improved their physical fitness and condition.  My working with them seemed to reinforce our objectives of group cooperation and controlled-competitive activity.  We did come back to the States. I tried a number of jobs...Well, I could go on for hours, but I'd probably start to bore you.

Edited by Texas St. Armadillos
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, RoundRobin said:

He also swam for Thailand.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Zombie said:

Where did you go? What was your experience like? How did it affect your life after you finished? Would you do it again? Asking for a friend. 

I didn't. A couple of friends did.

One, let's call him G, got in trouble for popping his clutch to scare a Klansman who was standing at an intersection asking for donations but really looking to become a 'victim'. Well, G made him feel like a victim. $800 later (1980s money), they dropped the charges and G decided to GTFO of town. Went to Lesotho. Found out main export was Dagga (pot). Seemed to enjoy it. Got a nice white hippie Peace Corps girl pregnant, and they got kicked out.

Other dude, S, joined up in the 60s and ended up in Afghanistan. Fell in love with the place, had great stories, and later on couldn't go back.

I knew a guy in North Carolina, Tommy something, he was in. Went to Gabon. Lived in the bush with the natives. Came back to the states and wore khaki bush gear a bit. Would go off on 3-5 day walkabouts. Just him, a backpack, a .22 pistol. He'd follow the train tracks, just pick a directions and go. Weird dude. Looked like a 3/4 size Jimmy Houston. 

Knew a guy named Lawrence Bourne III. He was a pretty spoiled rich kid who just graduated from Yale, Class of 1962 with about $28,000 in gambling debts. His father refused to pay Lawrence’s debt so Lawrence switched places with his college roommate Kent and jumped on a Peace Corps flight to Thailand to escape his creditors.

There he was assigned to build a bridge for the local villagers with Washington State University graduate Tom Tuttle from Tacoma and the beautiful, down-to earth Beth Wexler. What they do not realize is that the bridge is coveted by the Central Intelligence Agency, a local communist force, and the powerful drug lord Chung Mee.

Hilarity ensues. Hope this helps!

17 minutes ago, TexasBeta said:

Knew a guy named Lawrence Bourne III. He was a pretty spoiled rich kid who just graduated from Yale, Class of 1962 with about $28,000 in gambling debts. His father refused to pay Lawrence’s debt so Lawrence switched places with his college roommate Kent and jumped on a Peace Corps flight to Thailand to escape his creditors.

There he was assigned to build a bridge for the local villagers with Washington State University graduate Tom Tuttle from Tacoma and the beautiful, down-to earth Beth Wexler. What they do not realize is that the bridge is coveted by the Central Intelligence Agency, a local communist force, and the powerful drug lord Chung Mee.

Hilarity ensues. Hope this helps!

Somebody want to tell him....

• Like 1

Very good friend joined the Peace Corps when we got out of UT in the 80s.  He had an amazing time in West Africa.  He ended up with a career in international healthcare and emergency services (expat evacuation, etc.) from connections he made while in the Peace Corps.  He lives in Dubai now.  It worked out quite well for him. 

On 8/3/2018 at 4:33 PM, Zombie said:

Where did you go? What was your experience like? How did it affect your life after you finished? Would you do it again? Asking for a friend. 

My ex did. She was batshit crazy.

That's about all I got.