Ted Cruz is a piece of shit

On 6/14/2019 at 7:56 AM, Homercles said:

Heard Beto interview on NPR this morning...he thought before he spoke, had a clear agenda that wasn’t littered with ‘muh guns, abortion liberals’, held compassion for others and all I could wonder is how that guy lost to Cruz

He lost because he didn't enunciate a suitable winning position on immigration.  He could have done so. 

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

I look forward to his next desperate ploy to reinvent himself in his never ending futile quest to be President.   Maybe next he will be a Proud Boy or whatever the new flavor of the month with far right people is.  Or if they get more militant, he will say, “You know, my dad really did kill JFK!”

JFK was a Dummocrat.  It might actually work.

6 hours ago, Chooky said:

I hate Nike but have never been more compelled to buy a pair. But I won't, because buying or not buying a product because your political opponent's preference is fucking retarded. 

May I recommend a Texas Longhorn Nike drifit polo?

I have one in white, grey and burnt orange.

I had a little bit of difficulty in deciding whether to put this here or in the Fox News thread until I got to the last line...:D

Ted Cruz exploded over Fox News's pro-Trump bias in 2016, new book claims
Rival for Republican presidential nomination believed Trump was actively helped by TV channel, American Carnage author writes

Ted Cruz, the hardline Texan who fought an ugly battle with Donald Trump for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination, was convinced the real-estate tycoon was actively assisted by Fox News and its late chief Roger Ailes, according to an explosive new book.

Author Tim Alberta, the chief political correspondent of Politico, writes that Cruz became convinced during the long and bitter primary that he was facing concerted opposition from Fox News, acting on Trump’s behalf.

When Ailes died in May 2017, four months after Trump’s inauguration, Cruz reportedly told friends: “I think it was Roger’s dying wish to elect Donald Trump president.”

Alberta’s bombshell book, American Carnage: On the Front Lines of the Republican Civil War and the Rise of President Trump, reveals vivid details of the relationship between Trump and his favorite TV channel, as well as chronicling the dismay it invoked in senior Republicans. A copy of the book, which is published on 16 July, was obtained by the Guardian.

The book records how Cruz’s frustration with overtly pro-Trump coverage on a channel with enormous influence among Republican voters intensified, until eventually he exploded. The blast came on the night of the Wisconsin primary, 5 April 2016, which Cruz won by 48% to Trump’s 34%.

For Cruz, the victory was of unparalleled importance. It meant he still had a shot at securing the nomination.

After his victory speech, Cruz settled down to watching Fox News on his campaign bus. Alberta writes that he was initially pleased to see his photograph on the screen – an unusual bonus given blanket coverage of Trump by all main TV stations.

But then Sean Hannity, the unashamedly partisan and extreme rightwing Fox News host, interjected by pointing out Trump’s strong standing in upcoming primaries in New York, the north-east, Indiana and West Virginia. At that point, the author says, the Texan blew.

“What the fuck?” he shouted, leaping from his seat and startling staff who had never seen him quite as agitated.

The spotlight placed on Fox News’s apparently unrestrained backing for Trump comes at a tense moment between the president and the channel owned by Rupert Murdoch. For much of Trump’s presidency the two have been umbilically linked, policy decisions frequently made in what has been called a “feedback loop” with Fox News presenters.

But recently Trump has turned his Twitter megaphone against the TV channel. On Sunday evening he ranted that “Watching [Fox News] weekend anchors is worse than watching low ratings Fake News CNN… Fox News is changing fast, but they forgot the people who got them there!”

There is little likelihood of Trump divorcing the channel any time soon, given its enormous popularity among his supporters as he enters the 2020 race. But Alberta does give a glimpse of deep unhappiness among top Republicans about the unprecedented bond.

The author notes that Cruz and Ailes used to be close, regularly having breakfast in New York. Cruz was a frequent guest of the channel, given his rightwing positions and standing among evangelicals.

But as the 2016 primary cycle unfolded, Ailes cut himself off from Cruz, Alberta reports. By the New Year, just weeks before the Iowa caucuses, the TV executive was no longer taking the politician’s calls.

Cruz does not reserve his criticism of the media exclusively for Fox News. He tells the author the journalistic establishment acted as one in smothering Trump with coverage.

“I didn’t anticipate that Trump would receive over three billion dollars in free media,” the senator is quoted as saying. “There is no precedent for that in the history of the United States of America.”

In the end, in July 2016, Cruz agreed to address the Republican National Convention in Cleveland, at which Trump was nominated. But he refused to endorse the man who had dubbed him “Lyin’ Ted” and insulted his father and wife.

Alberta writes that Cruz told friends there was “no way in hell” he would subjugate himself to Trump in front of millions of viewers, remarking: “History isn’t kind to the man who holds Mussolini’s jacket.”

14 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Alberta writes that Cruz told friends there was “no way in hell” he would subjugate himself to Trump in front of millions of viewers, remarking: “History isn’t kind to the man who holds Mussolini’s jacket.”

Boy, ol' Ted Cruz is gonna flip when he finds out what Ted Cruz has been doing for the last 3 years.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Boy, ol' Ted Cruz is gonna flip when he finds out what Ted Cruz has been doing for the last 3 years.

That's the behavior you would expect from a principled conservative. 

what a fucking twat

Lawmakers on both sides of the aisle have been critical of the administration's decision to declare an emergency earlier this year in order to expedite billions of dollars in arms sales to various countries -- including Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates -- but Cruz's particularly blunt warning about efforts to bypass Congress stands out due to his reputation as a polarizing figure on Capitol Hill.

Cruz said he supports the administration's underlying reason for selling arms to regional partners. He voted against a joint resolution disapproving of the proposed sales in late June. However, on Wednesday he issued a scathing rebuke of how the situation was handled while grilling Assistant Secretary of State for Political-Military Affairs R. Clarke Cooper during the Senate Foreign Relations hearing. "I voted with the administration on the substance because of the threat of Iran but I'll tell you from my end, if the administration does it again and there is not a live and exigent emergency, you will not have my vote and I predict you will not have the vote of a number of other Republicans as well. The simpler process is follow the damn law and respect it," Cruz said.

"The process that the State Department followed for these weapons sales, not to point too fine a point on it, was crap," he added. "Under the law, under the Arms Export Control Act, the administration needs congressional approval and has a 30-day notification period. And for whatever reason, the administration in what seems to me a not fully baked decision process, decided to circumvent the law, decided to circumvent the constitutional responsibility of Congress and act unilaterally."

Im sure after this impassioned defense of congressional power, Cruz skedaddled straight to the oval office for Trumps afternoon blowie.

On 7/12/2019 at 6:01 PM, Message Board User said:

Why is a Federal legislator attempting to exert pressure to influence the internal policies of a State? Ol' States' Rights Cruz is going to be pretty damn upset when he catches wind of this.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Why is a Federal legislator attempting to exert pressure to influence the internal policies of a State? Ol' States' Rights Cruz is going to be pretty damn upset when he catches wind of this.

Better "exerting influence" than trying to pass a federal law against it. More federal legislators should confine themselves to exerting influence./not defending Felato

Edited by TwiceHorn

https://www.newsweek.com/republicans-criminalizing-dissent-antifa-ted-cruz-1450285:

resolution introduced this week by Senators Ted Cruz and Bill Cassidy calling for the Antifa anti-fascist movement to be designated a domestic terrorist organization has been criticized for using "Antifa" and "left-wing activists" interchangeably, and possibly implying that all manner of dissent could be considered terrorism.

The resolution, introduced Thursday, is titled, "Calling for the designation of Antifa as a domestic terrorist organization." It states that the Antifa, a left wing autonomous, militant anti-fascist movement, "believe that free speech is equivalent to violence, have used threats of violence in the pursuit of suppressing opposing political ideologies."

But the resolution also denounces actions by protestors "affiliated with Antifa" and "left wing activists."

The resolution states that journalist Andy Ngo was "intimidated and threatened with violence by protestors affiliated with Antifa" and that he was "physically attacked by protestors affiliated with Antifa."

It also states that U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) employees were subjected to violent threats after their personal information was posted online by "left wing activists," and that "according to the Wall Street Journal, an ICE officer was followed by left wing activists and 'confronted when he went to pick up his daughter from summer camp.'"

The Journal article was not a news story but rather an opinion piece — written by Ngo — about a mob that surrounded an ICE officer in Portland in June 2018. Ngo's piece does not contain the word "Antifa."

On Friday, behavioral scientist and National Observer reporter Caroline Orr quote-tweeted a post by Cruz on the resolution and stated: "They're trying to criminalize dissent. Read the bill. They use the terms 'antifa', 'affiliated with antifa', and 'left-wing activists' interchangeably. They want to call you a terrorist for opposing the Trump administration too strongly or loudly."

Orr pointed out that the bill seeks to designate Antifa as a terrorist organization even though there is no actual organization behind Antifa.

"But look at the terminology: 'affiliated with antifa'; 'left wing activists'. This has nothing to do with public safety," Orr tweeted, and reiterated, "They're trying to criminalize dissent."

Cruz had tweeted that "Antifa is a terrorist organization composed of hateful, intolerant radicals who pursue their extreme agenda through aggressive violence" and that "time and time again their actions have demonstrated that their central purpose is to inflict harm on those who oppose their views."

Orr commented that ICE and U.S. Customs and Border Protection "are responsible for far more deaths in the past year than antifa in the past three decades." She also tweeted that in 30 years of antifascist activity in the United States, there has been one confirmed fatality, while over 20 years of far-right extremist activity from 1990 to 2012 in the U.S., there have been 670 fatalities, more than 3,000 non-fatal injuries and more than 4,000 attacks.

Their resolution wouldn't have any legal force, but this is the game plan for rounding up dissenters and Cruz absolutely supports it.

• Like 1

At least he's still a fiscally conservative, and constitutionalist

A sitting U.S. president who can’t stop attacking black and brown people. A never-ending trade war that has necessitated more than one multibillion-dollar farm bailout. A humanitarian crisis on the border of his own state. These are just a handful of the many issues that Senator Ted Cruz could be focused on. Instead, he’s currently devoting his efforts to a much more important cause: demanding another tax cut for the rich, this time without Congress’s approval.

Hey, you know that part of the constitution where it says it's Congress' job to levy taxes?  Yeah, Cruz (a fucking member of said Congress) thinks that's bunk...he wants the Executive Branch (Treasury) to circumvent Congress and cut captial gains taxes.  Wasn't he screaming about Executive overreach just a couple of years ago? I guess those were particularly "dark" times in American government.

In a letter sent to Steve Mnuchin on Monday, the senator from Texas urged the Treasury Secretary to use his “authority” to index capital gains to inflation, a move that would almost exclusively benefit the mega-rich. Claiming, falsely, that the United States economy “has experienced historic levels of growth as a result of Congress and the current administration’s policies such as the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act,”

What?!  The sad part is that the base will believe him.

Cruz insists that it is now crucial for the Treasury Department to adjust capital gains for inflation “so that everyday Americans can continue to enjoy better lives and livelihoods.” And by “everyday Americans,” he of course means (but doesn’t say) the spectacularly wealthy.

Everyday Americans?  Yes, because we all know the average American is heavily burdened by capital gains taxes...just ask the folks at Wharton...you know, Trump's alma mater.  Surely they agree.  

according to the Penn Wharton Budget model, a whopping 86% of the benefit of indexing capital gains to inflation would go to the 1 percent (and reduce annual tax revenue by an estimated $102 billion over a decade).

But, I'm sure they've become a bunch of commies who hate America since Trump left.  

Cruz claimed that changing how capital gains are taxed “would…unlock capital for investment, increase wages, create new jobs, and grow the economy, benefiting Americans across all income levels.” In other words, he’s arguing that the executive branch should give the super-rich another tax cut and it’ll benefit everyone because of trickle-down economics which—checks notes—has never actually worked. Including in the case of the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.

Um, hasn't worked YET...this time will be different, I swear.

What a fucking waste of space.

link

Edited by DixonHur
fixed link

14 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Ted Cruz definitely pounds off every evening after getting humiliated

This stuff probably scares the shit out of people like Cruz, because he realizes if those younger folks start voting in large numbers, he and his kind are screwed.

11 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

https://www.newsweek.com/republicans-criminalizing-dissent-antifa-ted-cruz-1450285:

Their resolution wouldn't have any legal force, but this is the game plan for rounding up dissenters and Cruz absolutely supports it.

How many people did Antifa murder in Charlottesville?

By my count it's Fascists 1, Anti-fascists 0. 

How many people did Antifa murder in Charlottesville?
By my count it's Fascists 1, Anti-fascists 0. 

Don’t forget the synagogue shooter. Don’t forget Dylan Roof. Don’t forget an FBI official testifying just the other day that the bulk of their active terrorize cases are white supremacists. And we can keep going on.

BUT....antifa threw some milkshakes, and punched Andy Ngo. So, it’s not even “both sides” here....obviously, antifa is the greatest threat to human life our country has ever seen.