Perfect Casting

Goo Punch

On 8/4/2018 at 11:55 PM, Planet Houston said:

giphy.gif

Strongly agree with one. I saw HST speak once. He mumbled, spoke too fast, and was hard to understand. Depp nailed it. Also like the other two in that scene- Benicio del Toro and Tobey Maguire.

I like casting against type, when it works it really works. For example, Denzel Washington as Detective Alonzo Harris, and Rodney Dangerfield as Ed Harris in Natural Born Killers.

3 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Strongly agree with one. I saw HST speak once. He mumbled, spoke too fast, and was hard to understand. Depp nailed it. Also like the other two in that scene- Benicio del Toro and Tobey Maguire.

I like casting against type, when it works it really works. For example, Denzel Washington as Detective Alonzo Harris, and Rodney Dangerfield as Ed Harris in Natural Born Killers.

Del Toro was exactly what I pictured Raoul Duke's attorney to be when I read the book.

• Like 1

sling-blade-ringtone720.jpg

One of the greatest film characters of all time .... and he wrote the screenplay and directed the movie which i thought was the best movie of that year and should have won the Oscar for Best Picture, Best Actor along with the Best Screenplay Oscar it won. Fuck James Cameron and Titanic.

Edited by Steamboat1874
  • Like 4

sling-blade-ringtone720.jpg
One of the greatest film characters of all time .... and he wrote the screenplay and directed the movie which i thought was the best movie of that year and should have won the Oscar for Best Picture, Best Actor along with the Best Screenplay Oscar it won. Fuck James Cameron and Titanic.

Well, English Patient won in 1997, when Sling Blade was up for awards. But Fargo was also nominated. That should have won.

LA Confidential should have won instead of Titanic in 1998.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Well, English Patient won in 1997, when Sling Blade was up for awards. But Fargo was also nominated. That should have won.

LA Confidential should have won instead of Titanic in 1998.

Totally agree on LA Confidential, one of my top 5 films, ever, and I don't see it changing.  Love Sling Blade, Fargo too, but The English Patient is a strong, if slow, film.  More obviously Oscar bait than the other two.  Some of the more outre elements of both Sling Blade (Doyle and his minions) and Fargo (the wood chipper, go bears), probably lost them some votes.

• Like 1

Totally agree on LA Confidential, one of my top 5 films, ever, and I don't see it changing.  Love Sling Blade, Fargo too, but The English Patient is a strong, if slow, film.  More obviously Oscar bait than the other two.  Some of the more outre elements of both Sling Blade (Doyle and his minions) and Fargo (the wood chipper, go bears), probably lost them some votes.

Username checks out

Some of my favorites but some have been mentioned:

Carrol O’Connor - Archie Bunker

Jon Hamm - Don Draper

Peter Falk - Columbo

Daniel Day Lewis - Christy Brown, My Left Foot

Sean Connery - James Bond

Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau - The Odd Couple

Jack Lemmon - The Apartment

James Stewart and Kim Novak - Vertigo

Phillip Seymour Hoffman - Capote, and to expand: Robert Blake and Scott Wilson in In Cold Blood

Edited by Brandywine

• 3 months later...
On 8/4/2018 at 9:59 AM, GreenspointTexas said:

Bruce Willis - John McClane

Arnold - Terminator

Tom Hanks - Forrest Gump

Just watched my favorite Christmas movie, Die Hard, and want to add just about the entire cast. 

Alan Rickman as Hans Gruber

Hart Bochner as the coke sniffing sleazy salesman that gets blown away. 

James Shigeta as Joseph Takagi

Reginald VelJohnson as Sgt Al Powell

Paul Gleason as the totally incompetent and annoying police chief

Bonnie Bedelia as the remarkably hot MILF, Holly McLane. You know how hard it is to be a memorable character as the wife in one of these shows?

Every one of them totally owned their screen time, and got out of the way when it was another character's time to shine. Especially true for Willis, who had individual interactions with all of them.

Honorable mention to Argyle and most of the terrorists. 

• Like 1

literally EVERYBODY in Deadwood, including every single minor character*

obviously McShane and Olyphant, but standouts include Brad Dourif, Robin Weigert, W. Earl Brown, Molly Parker,  Jim Beaver, John Hawkes, Dayton Callie, Titus Welliver, Powers Boothe, Garret Dillahunt, Keith Carradine, Gerald McRaney, Michael Harney, and good lord William Sanderson was brilliant. even pervert Jeffrey Jones was perfect. 

gotdamn that show was the BEST.

(*did not read whole thread, not surprised if already mentioned)

Edited by mchookem

Last of the Mohicans (1992 version).  Wes Studi and Daniel Day-Lewis, the whole cast, really.  Steve Waddington as the British officer shot by Day-Lewis before being burned alive played an asshole you felt respect for in the end.  Actors portraying the British and French  commanding generals were superb.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

Last of the Mohicans (1992 version).  Wes Studi and Daniel Day-Lewis, the whole cast, really.  Steve Waddington as the British officer shot by Day-Lewis before being burned alive played an asshole you felt respect for in the end.  Actors portraying the British and French  commanding generals were superb.

The one girl who was like the sidekick of the main girl, only has a couple seens but the last one where she jumps off the cliff while the music plays.

Edited by trza-hawk
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

Everyone in the original godfather

So many great scenes...

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

"Tom, can you get me off the hook? For old time's sake?"

"Can't do it, Sal."

"You come here on my daughter's wedding day..."

But I didn't know until this day that it was Barzini all along."

• 1 year later...

haha ^ good one

speaking of Malkovich...

him, Clooney, Brad Pitt, and Frances McDormand in Burn After Reading, they were all pitch perfect. that is by far the funniest LOL Coen bros movie. 

Brad Pitt has quite the diverse resume, many where he was 100% perfect...

hitchhiking cowboy in Thelma and Louise

Aldo Raine and Cliff Booth are obvious (Tarantino generally nails his casting)

Rusty in the Ocean movies (love the running gag of him eating in every scene lol)

Mickey in Snatch

Floyd in True Romance

the crazy son in Twelve Monkeys

Early Grace in Kalifornia

Tyler Durden

to be fair, he's also been some of the worst casting haha (Troy, Interview with a Vampire, Jesse James)

haha ^ good one
speaking of Malkovich...
him, Clooney, Brad Pitt, and Frances McDormand in Burn After Reading, they were all pitch perfect. that is by far the funniest LOL Coen bros movie. 
Brad Pitt has quite the diverse resume, many where he was 100% perfect...
hitchhiking cowboy in Thelma and Louise
Aldo Raine and Cliff Booth are obvious (Tarantino generally nails his casting)
Rusty in the Ocean movies (love the running gag of him eating in every scene lol)
Mickey in Snatch
Floyd in True Romance
the crazy son in Twelve Monkeys
Early Grace in Kalifornia
Tyler Durden

to be fair, he's also been some of the worst casting haha (Troy, Interview with a Vampire, Jesse James)

Brad Pitt as Jesse James as intended in that movie was pretty damned good. Thought he nailed it.

well...okay. maybe i couldn't stay awake long enough to appreciate him in that role lol i thought that movie was really long and slow.

Assassination of Jesse James... was an anti-western where the outlaw shoots people in the back and gets shot in the back as well. Casey Affleck was perfectly cast as a creeper. Talkies like this movie will never get theatrical run anymore. Acting, cinematography, music were all top notch.

There’s always Young Guns. Emilio was pretty good as Billy the Kid. And lots of Bon Jovi montages, shooting, and spitting.

oh thank you for that not-condescending-at-all artistic interpretation 🙄 if i recall, many critics also dinged TAOJJBTCRF for being too long and rather slow. lol Young Guns was terrible, fyi.

back to topic...

Once Upon a Time in the West was a similarly lengthed 'talkie' and is one of my favs.

Fonda was cast against type and was fantastically malevolent! i think Clint was originally supposed to have Bronson's role, but Bronson turned out perfectly cast as well. 

oh thank you for that not-condescending-at-all artistic interpretation if i recall, many critics also dinged TAOJJBTCRF for being too long and rather slow. lol Young Guns was terrible, fyi.
back to topic...
Once Upon a Time in the West was a similarly lengthed 'talkie' and is one of my favs.
Fonda was cast against type and was fantastically malevolent! i think Clint was originally supposed to have Bronson's role, but Bronson turned out perfectly cast as well. 

Was there really that much dialogue in Spaghetti Westerns? Claudia Cardinale was perfect