W Anderson Lane

Neonmoon

While enjoying Cabo Bobs for lunch, I noticed how incredibly fucking crowded it happened to be. Anderson Lane really needs to add more fast causal places to eat. 

There is a dearth of fast casual in the area. 

It has Cabo Bobs, Hopdoddy and....

Yes, technically it also has Chipotle, Jersey Mike’s, and Jimmy Johns, but all those places suck ass. 

Really not sure what the demand for fast/casual in the area is?  I mean, Chili's at 183/Burnet is really close if you're desperate for average chain food?   Olive Garden, too.

But also super-close are Enchiladas y Mas, Top Notch, El Dorado,  Conan's...

And I can't recommend Pho Thaison at all, when Tan My is just another couple miles away.

Man i miss Cabo Bobs so much since I moved away from Austin. At least Torchys is here in Houston and they have a halfway decent burrito. I went to chipotle once but I won’t make that mistake again. Cabo Bobs spoiled me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are already a lot of options, but some of the better options seem to always be exceptionally crowded (e.g., El Dorado, Cabo Bob's, Hopdoddy).   There are a ton of people living in NW Hills, Allandale and Crestview that eat on W. Anderson.  The area could support more restaurants.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

"dearth of food options" on West Anderson is the opposite of true. 

wtf OP? 

Well, he specified "fast casual" but I'm not sure which feature of that category he's valuing?  Is it the "fast?"  Is it the "casual?"  Is it that restaurants in that category tend to have decent food at a relatively reasonable price?  Not sure.

But there are a ton of options.  Any place worth a crap is going to be busy between 11:45 AM and 1:15 PM on a weekday.  Or from 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM on a Friday.

Edited by utee94

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

Well, he specified "fast casual" but I'm not sure which feature of that category he's valuing?  Is it the "fast?"  Is it the "casual?"  Is it that restaurants in that category tend to have decent food at a relatively reasonable price?  Not sure.

yeah, i'm not sure how the hopdoddy's fits the bill but the vietnamese place doesn't.  its faster than hopdoddy's, and is not exactly fancy.  i guess the criteria is counter service only?

One of the biggest problems West Anderson Ln. has facing it is what to do what that Goodnight Space. That place too big for just a restaurant. It’ll be interesting to see how Endevor tries to market it. 

There is also a buildout happening in a space across from El Dorado. Any idea what that is? 

3 hours ago, 3adays said:

One of the biggest problems West Anderson Ln. has facing it is what to do what that Goodnight Space. That place too big for just a restaurant. It’ll be interesting to see how Endevor tries to market it. 

There is also a buildout happening in a space across from El Dorado. Any idea what that is? 

Another Mattress Firm?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gourmand said:

All of us in Windsor Park/University Hills would love to have this white people problem.

yeah no shit. we got Hanks. took 10 years. 

used to have a short stop. that burned down. never ate there anyway

and thats all folks...

Edited by staboner

Don't worry about being wrong, it happens to everyone eventually. 

;)

I still call it Tan Tan, too.

It's obviously subjective, but the broth at Tan My is leagues better than anywhere else I've tried in Austin (which is every single place that anyone has ever mentioned in shag or surly that serves pho in Austin).  

I'll try any place that someone mentions, just to see if I can top it and find a closer option, or at least an equivalent or better one.  And invariably I find myself both disappointed, and even angry, at wasting time on pho that isn't Tan My.

Edited by utee94

43 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Don't worry about being wrong, it happens to everyone eventually. 

;)

I still call it Tan Tan, too.

It's obviously subjective, but the broth at Tan My is leagues better than anywhere else I've tried in Austin (which is every single place that anyone has ever mentioned in shag or surly that serves pho in Austin).  

I'll try any place that someone mentions, just to see if I can top it and find a closer option, or at least an equivalent or better one.  And invariably I find myself both disappointed, and even angry, at wasting time on pho that isn't Tan My.

Pho Thaison does a great job of making a clean, flavorful broth. something i find hard to find. Many times the broth seems too fatty and polluted if that makes sense. I also think going first thing is the best too - 11.30AM or so, regardless of where you are

I miss Tan Tan. Haven't been in years. They used to let me run a tab there. Loved em. Homeboy still have the mole with teh long ass hair growing out of it?

I had a wish to eat pho for my Xmas breakfast once. I found a way to do it in Hanoi. And yes I was hungover. And yes it was awesome. I rank high on the "i give a shit" subjective pho index. 

Thread derail complete. 

Tan Tan's the same, no difference there in the past 20 years.  They changed the name to Tan My due to some trademark issue or something, but it's the same owner, mostly the same staff, same delicious food.  Last time I went though, he had trimmed the mole hair.  It was a little disappointing, honestly. :)

And this was a goofy thread anyway, complaining about a lack of eating places in an area with plenty of good ones either directly there, or very close.

• 1 month later...
On 8/8/2018 at 11:01 AM, utee94 said:

Pho Phi at Metric & Parmer is really good. 

Edited by El Guapo

22 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Pho Hong on Burnet and Rutland is my go to for vermicelli and pho

Bonus - Hidden in the same shop is one of the best Italian restaurants in Austin, Andiamo

yeah you just hit on my two favorite vietnamese and italian restaurants in austin.

at this point i think "best pho" really comes down to a point of preference.  there are so many styles first off, and secondly there's not much consistency about who does it "best" even after accounting for styles.  i CAN say with certainty the absolute worst pho i've ever had was the one on the drag in the early 2000s.  near/next to/above jenn's copies.  the broth was basically msg water.

• Like 1

Thanks for the recs. I work just on the other side of I35 at PArmer, so I've tried petty much every Asian place along North Lamar and PArmer, including Pho Phi.  And since I was born and raised at Burnet/183 and my folks still live there, I've tried everything within about 5 miles of that intersection as well.  I've still left them all, disappointed that I didn't just go to Tan My.

But I definitely agree on Andiamo, that place is a hidden gem.

On 8/5/2018 at 9:54 AM, Larry T. Spider said:

Suzi’s, be more pacific, zen Japanese food fast, Star of India, one taco, cover 3, madam mams, Korea house, wild chix and waffles, desano, hanabi, tinos Greek. Not sure all of those fit the definition of fast casual but there are plenty of options in the area.

Loved Suzi's place on SLamar, don't recall ever eating at the WA location.  Didn't hurt that Suzi was a damn good looking woman. 

On 9/21/2018 at 5:19 PM, Underdog said:

Loved Suzi's place on SLamar, don't recall ever eating at the WA location.  Didn't hurt that Suzi was a damn good looking woman. 

Suzi's on Shoal Creek/Anderson is very bland.  It's not bad but it's very unadventurous American Chinese food.  My wife call's it Betty Crocker Chinese food.

Edited by CooterBrown