W Anderson Lane

Neonmoon

On 12/11/2021 at 1:56 PM, bonnieblue said:

Would really recommend Pedrosos pizza right outside of Night Owl (burnet and Anderson). Might be the best za in Austin

Grabbed a pie there tonight.  I'd say it was pretty good, definitely in the NYC style, didn't love the flavor of the crust but overall a very good thin pizza.

Finally moved into the hood last week. District is good, a tad pricey, but this will prolly be our default place just because of how close it is to our pad. Shorties is somewhere between meh and gross. Just ordered a quiche from San Francisco Bakery and Cafe, will report back.

1 hour ago, dirtonia said:

Finally moved into the hood last week. District is good, a tad pricey, but this will prolly be our default place just because of how close it is to our pad. Shorties is somewhere between meh and gross. Just ordered a quiche from San Francisco Bakery and Cafe, will report back.

District has a solid brunch. 

If you like sushi, check out Tatsumi Sushi near Cover 3.  I'm a fan.

I also really like Hi Wings, though it is a bit pricey. 

Welcome to the 'hood! (though I'm south in Brentwood).

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Timely reminder:  Tuesday's are 2-1 pizzas at Tony C's Beer Garden next to Starbucks.  It's very good NYC pizza, not the best in town, but well worth a try to see if you want to make it a regular.  If ordering online use order code BOGOpizza.

7 hours ago, South Austin said:

South Brentwood's mom?

12 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

You're out of your mind.  I mean, you literally went to another pizza joint.  WTF?  Do you have covid?

I have had Tony Cs 4 times or so.  The quality has ranged from 2 hour old Pizza Hut to pretty damn good.  The customer service is fucking terrible as well.  
The last time was so bad I swore I would go to Austin Pizza again before I ate there again.

Pedrosos is solid.  The granny style is pretty good too.

9 minutes ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

I have had Tony Cs 4 times or so.  The quality has ranged from 2 hour old Pizza Hut to pretty damn good.  The customer service is fucking terrible as well.  

I've only done curbside, with no problems.  I haven't noticed any significant variety in quality of the product, either.  Maybe I got lucky.

It doesn't hurt that it's probably the closest decent pizza to my house, either.

All of this chatter needs to stop.  The obvious winner is a whole wheat Savage (with anchovies and Japs -- no racist) from Conan's on West Anderson Lane.

This is my “everyone is out of town, Brisket is gonna order something that’s great with some cold beers and awesome 80s movies for dinner, and then awesomely delicious again for breakfast” choice. Every time.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 12/15/2021 at 9:35 AM, DalTxHornFan said:

All of this chatter needs to stop.  The obvious winner is a whole wheat Savage (with anchovies and Japs -- no racist) from Conan's on West Anderson Lane.

Amen, brother.

And it's healthy. It has a whole wheat crust.

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2021 at 11:55 AM, CooterBrown said:

The most excellent China Family on Airport has just opened an express restaurant in Northcross on the Burnet Road side. they're currently in a soft opening.  Looks like they have all their same dishes but instead of family style, it's individual plates (1, 2, 3 entrees + sides). 

Who's been? Hoping to go soon and curious how it was.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally went to China Family Express.

Got two meals. One (spicy fish and spicy chicken) was really good. The other (general tso's chicken) was okay. I blame that on ordering general tso's chicken. 

Portions seem a little small for the price. The main location on Airport has much larger portions for only a few dollars more.

• 3 weeks later...

A new place serving corny dogs from the South has opened!

A new place serving Korean corny dogs from South Korea has opened!

Went last night. Was very tasty and everyone was happy with their corny dogs. 

They have a wide variety of corny dog options, from the simple (hot dog) to more interesting (cheese filling with sweet potato embedded on the outside). Also had some teriyaki egg toast and it as good also.

https://www.ohkdog.com/menu

In the same shopping center as 99 Ranch.

• 1 month later...

Asian in the area.

Din Ho had gone downhill. For the last few years, it's mediocre at best and definitely not worth the wait and price. We used to go at least once a month but haven't been in over 6 months. 

Julie's Noodles is legit. Hand made Taiwanese noodles and dumplings. Beef noodle soup is fucking amazing. The dumplings are great, especially the soup dumplings. Pro-tip, unless you have your mind set on ramen, skip Tatsu Ramen and hit up Julie's. I'll regret this post if the lines get even longer. Can be long wait for food during peak times. Get it to go.

China Palace on Airport is a hole in the wall. Good Chinese for the price, probably the least expensive in the area. Better than Din Ho, which is now massively overrated. Don't get turned off by the decor. Get it to go.

bb.q Chicken has amazing fried chicken, the best in Austin imo. It's on the more expensive side but it's fucking great. Didn't like any of sauced kind. Just get the normal fried chicken. Wings were ok but i'm not a huge wings guy anyway. Lots of other people love their wings. YMMV. Sides are meh.

Want to try

K BBQ. Ever since I had Hobak in Vegas, I've been trying to find another Korean BBQ place as just as good, which may never happen. Will report back after I try it.

Jan Chi Korean across Mopac. It's new and haven't heard anything about it. 

Edit: Go aisle shopping in the Japanese dollar-like store, Daiso. You can find shit for cheap there that costs a lot more online or somewhere else.

Edited by crash_davis

On 3/29/2022 at 12:43 PM, crash_davis said:

Asian in the area.

Din Ho had gone downhill. For the last few years, it's mediocre at best and definitely not worth the wait and price. We used to go at least once a month but haven't been in over 6 months. 

Julie's Noodles is legit. Hand made Taiwanese noodles and dumplings. Beef noodle soup is fucking amazing. The dumplings are great, especially the soup dumplings. Pro-tip, unless you have your mind set on ramen, skip Tatsu Ramen and hit up Julie's. I'll regret this post if the lines get even longer. Can be long wait for food during peak times. Get it to go.

China Palace on Airport is a hole in the wall. Good Chinese for the price, probably the least expensive in the area. Better than Din Ho, which is now massively overrated. Don't get turned off by the decor. Get it to go.

bb.q Chicken has amazing fried chicken, the best in Austin imo. It's on the more expensive side but it's fucking great. Didn't like any of sauced kind. Just get the normal fried chicken. Wings were ok but i'm not a huge wings guy anyway. Lots of other people love their wings. YMMV. Sides are meh.

Want to try

K BBQ. Ever since I had Hobak in Vegas, I've been trying to find another Korean BBQ place as just as good, which may never happen. Will report back after I try it.

Jan Chi Korean across Mopac. It's new and haven't heard anything about it. 

Edit: Go aisle shopping in the Japanese dollar-like store, Daiso. You can find shit for cheap there that costs a lot more online or somewhere else.

KAPATAD on Far West is legit. 

K BBQ - I made the mistake of taking my dad here for one of our weekly father-son dinners (I try to take him out once a week after mom died). Holy shit, he loves it. Like, he never wants to go anywhere else. It really is good. We go the second level up, where you get the beef short ribs, squid, beef tongue, and other goodies.

Jan Chi is good - has legit bibimbap in the hot stone bowls.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, dirtonia said:

Went to Korea House yesterday, it’s really tucked back there behind Cover 3 and all that jazz. My first Korean bbq place, so not much to compare it to, but we enjoyed it.

Korea House is good, it's been there forever.