W Anderson Lane

Neonmoon

On 9/11/2019 at 11:22 AM, chitwood said:

East Side Pies closed last month on Anderson Lane.

Stopped in Sunrise tonight to pick up some beer and Sam said he's opening up a beer/wine bar in the Eastside spot. Gotta do some renovations, so probably Feb/Mar before its open. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/11/2019 at 11:25 AM, The University said:

looks like dip dip dip is up and running now. anyone been there yet?

went last night. had the house omakase with spicy pork bone broth and added ramen noodles and a couple other specialty items off the cart.  gf had the Tatsu-ya omakase and added ramen.  service was very good.  If I was to do it again i would probably go a la carte and load up on the veggies and 3 different kinds of meatballs.   smelled a little like a farm inside the restaurant.  I’m not really a fan of being seated less than a foot next to strangers on each side such that you can hear all their conversations and vice versa (and our neighbors joined our conversation uninvited at one point), but I suppose that seating set up is part of the authenticity of it, I don’t know.  we enjoyed it well enough for the uniqueness of the experience, but at that price point we both agreed that we would prefer dinner at a more upscale place (it was $ comparable to one of our dinners at Uchiko, maybe even a little more), or several dinners at Michi.  

• 2 weeks later...

tried One Taco today - over by the Alamo Drafthouse 

got three tacos to go - had a machacado and egg for breakfast added avocado, and a pastor and a barbacoa for lunch

all three tacos were overstuffed and pretty dang good - homemade flour and corn tortillas - great deep red salsa - and two kinds of green salsa, a tomatillo, and a creamier one

will definitely go again - they also sell their tortillas by the dozen 

• Like 1

Heh . . . my daughter (no pics) called me for a ride home about a year ago.  I asked where she was, and she said "on Anderson, outside of some place called oh-NAY-ta-co".  

"Uh, do you mean One Taco?"

"Yeah, I guess that's it."

I will tease her about that for the rest of my life.  Admittedly, the logo is a bit nebulous:

Image result for "one taco""

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Have you all tried Kitchen United Mix? One location that has a bunch of mostly local restaurants so you can order a wide variety of food (ramen and bao and fried chicken and hamburger and curry and ...).

It's to-go or delivery.

Ordered twice and both times very happy. All of the food was hot and tasty.

Word from a friend of the owners says Eldorado is done. 

Well, that’s going to cause a shitstorm in my hood. For some reason, everybody here made that their favorite restaurant. It was good but after bailing a half dozen times in a row due to a 90 minute wait for a table, even at 4pm, I gave up on it a long time ago.

I did notice they quietly pulled the plug on their Kitchen United Mix to-go operation a couple of weeks ago.

On 11/17/2020 at 11:16 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Looks like Tony C's will be opening up a pizza & beer garden on Anderson Lane near Rockwood.  Near Alamo Drafthouse, San Francisco Bakery, etc.  I've been wanting to try their pizza for a while now but Bee Cave and Cedar Park are not exactly convenient.

pizza and salads are solid, as are the strombolis which they have every now and then as a special.  

On 11/17/2020 at 11:16 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Looks like Tony C's will be opening up a pizza & beer garden on Anderson Lane near Rockwood.  Near Alamo Drafthouse, San Francisco Bakery, etc.  I've been wanting to try their pizza for a while now but Bee Cave and Cedar Park are not exactly convenient.

Yeah they were building that before the pandemic hit, guess it got delayed

Anyone been to the new pizza and pasta joint The Backspace on Anderson? From other threads on here, pizza is supposed to be good at their dtown location. Will be hard to compete with Buffalina Due, Desano's, Little Deli and Conan's all within a mile or so. Our go to for gourmet pizza is Desano's and then Buffalina Due. I like the Little Deli pie but the pizza sauce is too runny and the pizza is too greasy for my liking.  Buffalina is awesome but expensive. Desano's is the Goldilocks of the bunch. Great pie, great ingredients, not overly expensive.

Backspace (Anderson) has gotten at least one really bad review on surly.  I haven't been.  I know the owner and I love their downtown location, but maybe things didn't translate well.  I will give it a try soon, though.

I chuckled at DeSano being "not overly expensive".  Good pizza, though.

23 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Backspace (Anderson) has gotten at least one really bad review on surly.  I haven't been.  I know the owner and I love their downtown location, but maybe things didn't translate well.  I will give it a try soon, though.

I chuckled at DeSano being "not overly expensive".  Good pizza, though.

cheaper than Buffalina Due. I think they have the best pizza in the area but that shit is expensive. Desano's is a couple bucks cheaper.  Backspace seems to be expensive.

Shit's all relative.

I hadn’t heard about ElDorado closing.  Joel is one of the best guys in the business.  Genuine great guy.  For the life of me, I can’t figure why he didn’t open the dining area back in the summer?

Assuming it’s true though, it would have quite the trickle-down effect in the hood.  EYM’s wait will go back to the nightly 2hrs+. 

Also, not Anderson Lane but rumor is McPhail is bringing back a new mexi restaurant concept in the former El Arroyo/Cielo space off Far West.   

1 hour ago, Chet Steadman said:

I hadn’t heard about ElDorado closing.  Joel is one of the best guys in the business.  Genuine great guy.  For the life of me, I can’t figure why he didn’t open the dining area back in the summer?

Assuming it’s true though, it would have quite the trickle-down effect in the hood.  EYM’s wait will go back to the nightly 2hrs+. 

Also, not Anderson Lane but rumor is McPhail is bringing back a new mexi restaurant concept in the former El Arroyo/Cielo space off Far West.   

Am I the only one who thinks EyM is vastly overrated, certainly no where justifying a long ass wait.

I think Casita Guanajuato up the road on W Anderson is way better.

https://goo.gl/maps/GNtSVfKdZUhKttjF8

13 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Am I the only one who thinks EyM is vastly overrated, certainly no where justifying a long ass wait.

I don't think EyM is overrated.  It's not head and shoulders better than every alternative, but I really enjoy it.  I just don't do the long wait.  If it's packed, I just try Vazquez or similar.

Casita Guanajuato is also delicious.  I can't remember who tipped me off to it on shaggy, but that was a good one.  It's so nondescript, I had probably driven by it a hundred times and never noticed it.

20 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't think EyM is overrated.  It's not head and shoulders better than every alternative, but I really enjoy it.  I just don't do the long wait.  If it's packed, I just try Vazquez or similar.

Casita Guanajuato is also delicious.  I can't remember who tipped me off to it on shaggy, but that was a good one.  It's so nondescript, I had probably driven by it a hundred times and never noticed it.

I've grabbed breakfast several times at Casita Guanajuato. Good food, cheap, and fast/efficient service. Not sure why I haven't ever tried it for dinner. 

Edited by Blotto

On 11/24/2020 at 9:40 PM, crash_davis said:

https://goo.gl/maps/GNtSVfKdZUhKttjF8

you're not alone; i used to live in the neighborhood and ate there pretty regularly.  sometimes i wonder if its a coincidence, but EYM sort of lost its great appeal for me when i stopped drinking and it wasn't worth the drive and wait anymore just for the food.  and it always looks like they haven't swept the floors or done any cleaning beyond wiping the tables down between guests in months.  which of course can have its own charm, i suppose, as i love some dives as much as the next person. and the fajita meat is made with Liquid Smoke, I could swear.  its the first thing i taste when i eat them.  for greasy cheez enchiladas, i think maudie's is just as good.  lots of other places for non-tex-mex enchiladas in town as well.

don't know if i was the one who steered you to casita guanajuato back in the old days or not but i do recall mentioning it - great place and certainly has an "authentic" feel to it.  or it did when i went regularly.  best green sauce in town IMO.

On 11/19/2020 at 9:23 AM, CooterBrown said:

I didn’t like Backspace at all but it was pretty affordable compared to Desano.

We went to Backspace two weeks ago. We had:

2 Titos and soda

2 glasses house Pinot Grigio

1 Order of breadsticks 

1 appetizer order of Meatballs (5 meatballs, about half dollar circumference)

Total bill after tax and tip = $75.00

It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't noteworthy either, and there was no vibe to it at all. Will probably never go back.

20 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Why would you go to a pizza joint and not order pizza?

the sign on the door says Pizza and Pasta. 

i posted my review on the Pizza thread. underwhelming to bad.

arancini appetizer was good, but like the arancini from North better. had the meat ball pasta. it was bland. wife had the mushroom pizza which tasted like they put lemon juice in the red sauce. wife ate one slice, i ate one slice. brought it home for the kids and their friends. kids took a bite, "ewww", and into the trash it went.

I'm not sure where the rumor about El Dorado closing came from.  We just ordered through their website, which also says their dining room will reopen in early 2021.

As someone pointed out, it does appear that their tacos & tortas outlet through Kitchen United Mix is gone.  Maybe that was the mixup regarding the restaurant.

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not sure where the rumor about El Dorado closing came from.  We just ordered through their website, which also says their dining room will reopen in early 2021.

As someone pointed out, it does appear that their tacos & tortas outlet through Kitchen United Mix is gone.  Maybe that was the mixup regarding the restaurant.

I work with someone who is friends with the owners. She said they were shutting it down for the safety of their staff. Maybe they changed their mind. 

• 2 weeks later...
So what’s the real story behind eldorado and STILL not having open dining?

The occupancy limit doesn’t cover the cost of waitstaff, dishwashers, accommodations, etc that are required to cover indoor dining?

I do know that the owners are very concerned about keeping their staff healthy, so that’s probably the main driver.

On 12/24/2020 at 9:20 AM, zman13 said:

Got two pizzas from Tony C's last night. One was excellent and the other was good.

It's in the high priced/higher quality zone of pizza places.

I want a great pizza but don't want to pay $25 for each pizza. I'm with @blacklab in the "get surprised by the price of pizza" group.

i've had pizza at the HCG Tony C's many times and its probably my favorite pizza in town behind Homeslice and Via 313.  we had one delivered from the new Anderson Lane spot last week and thought it was not nearly as good as the HCG location.  i'm not sure if its because they are still working on the formula there, or maybe the oven isn't the same/as good, or its a matter of needing to "keep it simple" - I think some places do really well with simple pizzas like plain cheese, or pepperoni, etc., and some places get worse the more you load them up with stuff - and the Anderson Lane Tony C's pizza we got had a ton of toppings

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

The HCG location is a bit of a long haul for us, but I'm going to do that 2 for Tuesday special soon just to justify the effort.  Anderson Lane isn't doing the same specials.

the haul out there was a lot easier to justify when the Frost next door was still open (for us anyway).  but the 2 for deal on tuesdays is a good one

Anderson lane is now sort of our go to area.  We used to go to Roaring Fork a ton in the past, and put in quite a few hours at Kona Grill and Gloria's in the Domain, along with Flemings in the winter months.  Now we tend to drift more toward the Anderson Lane area because we can nearly always find something that fits what we want.  Hopdoddy, Jack Allen's, Enchilada Y Mas or  Tumble 22.  What do all but Fleming's have in common?  Damn Good Frozen Margaritas!  It's what the wife likes and we tend to do a lot of early happy hours back when those were around.

Edited by horn4life

3 hours ago, 40acredropout said:

Gave One Taco a shot yesterday... was not disappointed.  Very good Taco Al Pastor.  

Prior to getting her drivers license, my daughter (no pics you assholes) found herself and a friend in that area and called me to give her a ride home.  

"Where are you exactly?"

"Near Alamo Drafthouse on Anderson Lane, outside a restaurant called OH-NET-I-CO".

"Uh, do you mean One Taco?"

"Yeah, that."

She has a 4.0 in college, so she's not stupid, but that exchange remains in my permanent cache of things to use against her when she gets uppity.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...