W Anderson Lane

Neonmoon

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/15/2021 at 2:28 PM, CooterBrown said:

Go to Tony C's. Pizza is solid.

Or, take one for the team and try out Shortie's above District. I've heard nothing about it yet.

Tony C's pizza had good ingredients, was baked well, good crust, gooey inside but the sauce had no flavor. The pizza taste was kinda bland. 

I had the Primo, daughter had the Vegetarian (yea, I know...). We both thought it was ok.

I'll stick to Bufalina, Desano's, and Little Deli. We'll even throw in Pinthouse The Works pizza in the rotation every now and then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Inside Kitchen United, there's another pizza joint...Grimaldi's.  Picked it up FRI night and it was decent pizza.  Style was probably right in the middle between East Side Pies and Home Slice.  Coal fired and thin but not a cracker crust.  I'd probably put it around ESP in quality. Easily good enough to order again. 

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Inside Kitchen United, there's another pizza joint...Grimaldi's.  Picked it up FRI night and it was decent pizza.  Style was probably right in the middle between East Side Pies and Home Slice.  Coal fired and thin but not a cracker crust.  I'd probably put it around ESP in quality. Easily good enough to order again. 

I think that's a pretty big chain.  I'll be curious to see how they fit in.  Lots of options around there.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2021 at 2:28 PM, CooterBrown said:

Go to Tony C's. Pizza is solid.

Or, take one for the team and try out Shortie's above District. I've heard nothing about it yet.

does Tony C's have a patio? thinking of checking it out this weekend...don't mind a crowd, just prefer outside. 

The pizza rolls are pretty great, as is their Pinthouse salad.  I usually get the salad+roll lunch combo, and a couple of beers.

Huh. I think their pizza is plenty good. A friend is a manager there, so we hit it from time to time. Dig both the rolls and the pizza, and enjoy the beer variety.

On 1/2/2021 at 6:59 PM, horn4life said:

Anderson lane is now sort of our go to area.  We used to go to Roaring Fork a ton in the past, and put in quite a few hours at Kona Grill and Gloria's in the Domain, along with Flemings in the winter months.  Now we tend to drift more toward the Anderson Lane area because we can nearly always find something that fits what we want.  Hopdoddy, Jack Allen's, Enchilada Y Mas or  Tumble 22.  What do all but Fleming's have in common?  Damn Good Frozen Margaritas!  It's what the wife likes and we tend to do a lot of early happy hours back when those were around.

No Top Notch?  SMDH

Plug for District Kitchen. I went there a couple times pre-pandemic and liked it. As I’ve gotten back into dining out now that I’m vaccinated — but still seeking outdoor seating, especially in outstanding Spring weather — I’ve enjoyed two really great meals there on the patio, one brunch and one dinner. And maybe they’re really grateful for the uptick in customers, but both times the service was outstanding.

55 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Huh. I think their pizza is plenty good. A friend is a manager there, so we hit it from time to time. Dig both the rolls and the pizza, and enjoy the beer variety.

11 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Same. There may be better pizza in Austin, but I don’t get the Pint House hate. And I love their beer.

I like the pizza okay, better than other folks around here do I guess.

My one complaint is that it always seems a little dry to me, but I do like the flavor combo and ingredients on their banh mi pizza, especially.

Edited by utee94

9 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Same. There may be better pizza in Austin, but I don’t get the Pint House hate. And I love their beer.

My opinion is solely based on the Lamar location because I haven’t been to any of the others since it opened. Pizza was good back then but seemed to go downhill quickly. The last time we got it it looked and tasted like it had been microwaved. Rolls are good and there is plenty on the menu we enjoy but we go to via when we want pizza. 

5 hours ago, mchookem said:

Tony C's was meh. good HH beer prices. the crust was the best part of the pizza. definitely better to be had in the 'hood.

We did the Tuesday 2-1 from the Anderson location this week.  I'd say it's better than "meh", but it's not orgasmically good.  Agreed that the crust was decent, and the toppings were definitely high quality, but the sauce was a little weak (and lacking in quantity).  I lean towards more sauce than less, so that was disappointing.  Still, there's no bad pizza.

• Hook 'Em 1

Agree on Shortie's.  We went last weekend and had a good meal and a good time on the patio.  I liked the no touch ordering concept, at least for now.  

Can't remember which pizza we ordered, but it was pretty dang good.  Not the best, but will definitely put it in the rotation for a place for a casual family meal.  Also ordered a sandwich to try it out and it was fine.  The bread was really good.

• 3 months later...

I didn't know of any. Suzie's (sp?) closed and there was one near Burnet next to Jersey Mike's that was decent but is now a Sushi restaurant. I went to another btw Anderson Ln and 183 but it sucked. So for lunch, which of the above should I try first? 1hr to eat.

Edited by Bevo

On 7/17/2021 at 10:47 AM, CooterBrown said:

Chinese Family off Airport. Dunno if that’s the same one above.

I looked it up and we both got the name wrong. We are talking about the same place.

The correct name...

China Family!

• Like 1

Might be a bit of a derail, but our go to place was always Hao-Q, and I am heartbroken about it. Wife died last year after cancer battle and husband/daughter sold/closed earlier this year.

As many here know, this was the same couple that ran Hoa Hoa in Dobie for so many years.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, APMP said:

Might be a bit of a derail, but our go to place was always Hao-Q, and I am heartbroken about it. Wife died last year after cancer battle and husband/daughter sold/closed earlier this year.

As many here know, this was the same couple that ran Hoa Hoa in Dobie for so many years.

I’m also heartbroken. We were regulars there for the past decade and the daughter knew my kids’ orders without asking. I also frequented Hoa Hoa at Dobie during my time in undergrad and law school, and I think it helped build up some cred with the daughter when I told her that early on in my Hao Q dining tenure.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Indeed. It was a neighborhood favorite. We’d often just go in and ask Hoang “feed us.” She knew all about us and our family, and we knew about hers.

Her illness was devastating to her family and the whole community. Just heartbreaking.

I never even heard she was sick.  Wish I had frequented Hao Q more in the pandemic, but am glad it remained in our rotation right up until COVID hit. 

On 7/17/2021 at 12:05 PM, Brisketexan said:

Seven spice, a new place on Anderson just west of Mopac. We’ve been twice. Order the non- American Chinese stuff - the Chinese meatballs are incredible.

Went to Seven Spice today. The owner recognized us - He used to be part owner of the chinese restaurant (that is now a sushi restaurant) next to Jersey Mike's. We will try some of the others but so far it is Seven Spice over Old Thousands. Old Thousands is too far away plus their system kind of annoyed me. All ordering is done through their app and then the food is brought out in paper boxes. When it is time to tip - the choices are 18%, 20%, 22% and custom. I usually overtip but setting the minimum to 18% when you never see the waiter is kind of bullshit.

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

So . . . use the "custom" tip option?

Of course, but I still found it annoying. If any of the fast food joints had the same system, they would lose a lot of business. It wouldn't surprise me if that starts to happen in certain parts of the country, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Didn't want to start a new thread -- any recs for a central Austin place with outdoor seating for an early (11:15) casual weekday business lunch?  Doesn't have to be the usual out-of-towner type place, the guys I'm meeting up with live in Dallas and San Antonio, so I'm pretty sure they're well versed in Tex-Mex and BBQ.  That said, there's nothing wrong with Tex-Mex or BBQ, so both are definitely in the running.  Doesn't have to be right on Anderson, just within a few miles is cool.

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Didn't want to start a new thread -- any recs for a central Austin place with outdoor seating for an early (11:15) casual weekday business lunch?  Doesn't have to be the usual out-of-towner type place, the guys I'm meeting up with live in Dallas and San Antonio, so I'm pretty sure they're well versed in Tex-Mex and BBQ.  That said, there's nothing wrong with Tex-Mex or BBQ, so both are definitely in the running.  Doesn't have to be right on Anderson, just within a few miles is cool.

DeSano and Stiles Switch come to mind

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Jack Allen's on Anderson Lane.

• Hook 'Em 1