UT System picks new chancellor

Pancho

Milliken became Chancellor of the City University of New York in 2014. During his time as Chancellor, there has been federal and state investigations of institutional corruption at the university.[12] In November 2016, an interim report of an investigation conducted by the office of New York State Inspector General found "financial waste and abuse", citing shoddy oversight and mismanagement that created a system ripe for financial waste and abuse, and criticized Milliken and CUNY General Counsel Frederick Schaffer, among others, for failing to "effectively operate" the university system."[13][14][15]

WTF?

I suppose you could criticize McRaven for not being an academic and not playing particularly nicely with the lege.  I had mixed feelings about Cigarroa.  This, however, seems to be rather an odd and poor choice, although I guess his experience is good, if not exactly his track record.

A bit more on Milliken - https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/21/nyregion/22cuny-chancellor-will-step-down-milliken.html. The Wikipedia article focuses heavily on the issues in 2016 while this article gives a bigger picture. 

CUNY seems to have a lot of issues. Interesting that of all of the people who were canned in 2016 he survived. There appears to be a lot of crooks in that system whose employment pre-dated his hiring and all of the "chickens came home to roost" during his tenure. Plus there appears to be a LOT of politics involved with CUNY. 

UT still needs to deal with the optics. No question that the focus will be the 2016 scandals that occurred on his watch. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Dog said:

A bit more on Milliken - https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/21/nyregion/22cuny-chancellor-will-step-down-milliken.html. The Wikipedia article focuses heavily on the issues in 2016 while this article gives a bigger picture. 

CUNY seems to have a lot of issues. Interesting that of all of the people who were canned in 2016 he survived. There appears to be a lot of crooks in that system whose employment pre-dated his hiring and all of the "chickens came home to roost" during his tenure. Plus there appears to be a LOT of politics involved with CUNY. 

UT still needs to deal with the optics. No question that the focus will be the 2016 scandals that occurred on his watch. 

Yeah I saw some of that.  Looks like he was among the least culpable in the office.  New York state and city politics hasn't changed much since Tammany Hall, seems like a real cesspool.

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/08/04/james-milliken-named-sole-finalist-ut-system-chancellor/

The chancellor of the UT system serves as its chief executive officer, reporting to a nine-member governing board, and overseeing an annual operating budget that tops $18 billion. Board members, who named Milliken Saturday after a closed-door meeting that lasted five hours, are simultaneously in the process of reviewing the system's administrative offices, and some regents have called for system-level initiatives to be curbed.

So he’s just a figured head.  Looks like they are backing away from trying to be like UC and having quality institutions across the state and going back to every school just doing what they want again.

54 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

From the Statesman:

newsEngin.22702692_cunyABNYam01-james-milliken.jpg

Y'all don't trust Joe Isuzu?

Joe Isuzu...I don't see it (or are you referring to hand gestures?)...  He looks more like an older Chris Parnell. In fact, almost alarmingly so.  And they're both from New York.

Are we sure this isn't a sketch?  

Edited by Lobo

With skyrocketing expenses and tuition, and increasingly less public funding, universities are being reduced to strip district tit clubs with chancellors and presidents being barkers outside calling for money in return for naked tits (or unreasonable facsimiles thereof).\

This here MIlliken guy, he seems like a perfect candidate to ask for  money in return for nasty shit. 

If he can hook me up with two nice whores (TWO chicks at once), maybe I'll up my UT donation in addition to paying out the ass right now with a kid there.