Captain Picard is back

Michael Knight

15 hours ago, Parliament said:

Frakes learned to act again.

Romulans make a great bad guy.

This show is good, but just can't make the jump to great.

Agree on all three parts.  Said I’d like a series on Rios and Seven.  Hell, toss in a series about Riker.

Spoiler

And I fucking loath the fact that they killed Hugh while Elrond got to play Metal Gear Solid.

This show had me rooting FOR the Borg drones. Granted, the evil has always been The Collective, not the individual Drones.

But damn, Seven is going to have more PTSD being hooked up to the Cube and watching all those lights blink out.  

Spoiler
  1. This was my favorite episode so far
  2. this felt the most like an actual ST episode
  3. Picard the man is finally back
  4. Raffi as an on-the-ball Star fleet officer-type was a character I liked
  5. I loved Rios’s backstory
  6. I Loved the holograms   He’s come along way from being the future painter guy in Heroes
  7. Elrond was more tolerable
  8. Fuckin A Seven.  Loved when she went all Borg Queen briefly
  9. Felt bad for the Borg drones  
  10. Pacing was good. Character development was good.  Nothing felt like it needed to remain on the cutting room floor.  
  11. felt like they got a lot right with this episode, that all cylinders were firing
  12. The Romulan stuff with the Destroyer prophecy was decent.  
  13. Discovery didn’t fully click with me until Pike came in.  This was the Picard episode that finally clicked with me.  

I’ll have to watch that RLM review sometime.  I’m guessing they go off on Alex Kurtzman.  Prior to the last episode, I watched a bunch of Easter egg/analysis videos, trying to catch up on TNG stuff I may have forgotten or missed.   Plenty of people trashed the shit out of Alex Kurtzman, that he focused on the TNG movies and was known for leaving huge plot holes, and with this last episode, I now truly get it.    Well, I had that feeling prior to this, with for much of the season, they were mischaracterizing Picard as being irrational, hot-headed, arrogant, and egotistical.   

We are at:

Spoiler
  1. The Zhat Vash/Romulans have every right to fear synthetics   
  2. Picard was  wrong about everything  
  3. As  soon as Soji bails on the Cube, they completely stop caring about the Borg Cube    What the fuck, are we supposed to believe they created this massive project focused on recovering ex-Borg, on the chance that Bruce Maddox would send Soji and her sister there, and that somebody would sleep with her to eventually get the location of her home world?  Oh wait, it’s far more simple: the Borg project was just to draw them there and kill them.  Because they knew Maddox would send them there.    
  4. They brought back Brent Spiner, only to waste him    I really don’t need another batty Soong, and I could swear that all of Soong’s creations/whatever were dead.   Springing a new kid on us was a very Kurtzman thing to do, based on the rest of the series.  
  5. Oh, all of the sudden, going back to episode 1 and then skipping 7 episodes,  Picard’s brain problems are back and terminal, and, by the way, we have this golem, and Agnes is a brain expert.  Gee, will we have a synthetic Picard next season?

On 3/22/2020 at 12:04 AM, atomheartbevo said:
Spoiler

Oh, all of the sudden, going back to episode 1 and then skipping 7 episodes,  Picard’s brain problems are back and terminal, and, by the way, we have this golem, and Agnes is a brain expert.  Gee, will we have a synthetic Picard next season?

spacer.png

Could have been worse.

Would have preferred the admiral lady over Riker. Would have preferred some diversity of ships. That's some lazy CGI. Data death scene worked well. Rios should have hooked up with Seven, even if she ended up with Raffi.  Fixing the cube to rise from the planet's surface to fight the Romulans seemed too obvious I guess. Just glad there was no Q ex machina at the end.

On reflection, I've decided Episode 10 was SO bad, now I hate the entire season.  And with the way the ended it

with Picard as a synth,

I have exactly zero desire to watch a Season 2.  The last 15 minutes of that episode killed the series.  Great job, Guys.  That Drinker Review guy is always negative, but he's right in saying a 10 episode season with just on storyline is too plodding.  There isn't enough content for 10 episodes.  Many, but not all, of his criticisms I agree with.  Trying a bit too hard with the diversity.  Ensemble characters just used to push the story along. All bad.

So maybe now we can get a Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Next Generation.  The Enterprise F with all new characters plus the usual cameos.  13-18 episodes with 1-3 episode storylines. New characters that reflect our new realities.  Storylines that reflect our culture, and sci fi tech that takes the tech we have now, and goes all the way to 11.  You know, TNG with better characters.

Edited by Parliament