Captain Picard is back

Michael Knight

23 hours ago, Parliament said:

That Drinker Review guy is always negative, but he's right in saying a 10 episode season with just on storyline is too plodding.  There isn't enough content for 10 episodes.  Many, but not all, of his criticisms I agree with.  Trying a bit too hard with the diversity.  Ensemble characters just used to push the story along. All bad.

I need to let this percolate, but I think if you cut out Elrond completely and that whole Romulan refugee planet arc completely, that would be a good start.  

I also think that introducing Picard’s brain problem in Ep 1, and then ignoring it for the next 8 episodes, only to shove him into a synth body, should be cut out.  

Cut out Bruce Maddox’s arc (the underworld planet, etc.) and have him on the Synth planet in place of the Soong character,  and as a part of that underworld planet, cut out Raffi’s mother arc.   

We could get down to 7 episodes at that point. 

It wasn't good, but it wasn't that bad. There wasn't enough time to properly develop the new characters, even though they actually tried to flesh them out and answer questions. Mystery and open questions are okay. We don't need things wrapped up in tidy packages. And they failed on that score. So arcs could have been cut.

I'd say diversity was the weak point, because there were too many humans and human-looking aliens. I'm not asking for much, maybe a Ferengi or an Andorian. A Breen would have been awesome.

The deus ex machina solution at the end of the series was telegraphed a mile away. In typical ST fashion, they finally have a decent SF trope, I expect them to ignore the bigger implications forever. They want space soap operas, not SF.

• Like 1

He'res what they shoulda done.  Ten episodes with basically the same plot, only add some side plots where we see an expanded universe.  Ferengi, Andorans, whatever.  And give us an episode with the Enterprise F.  Completely redo the last 2 episodes, and Picard dies.  That's great setup for the Enterprise F series we want.  Picard hits the nostalgia notes, sets up the universe and soft-launches TNG 2.  

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

He'res what they shoulda done.  Ten episodes with basically the same plot, only add some side plots where we see an expanded universe.  Ferengi, Andorans, whatever.  And give us an episode with the Enterprise F.  Completely redo the last 2 episodes, and Picard dies.  That's great setup for the Enterprise F series we want.  Picard hits the nostalgia notes, sets up the universe and soft-launches TNG 2.  

Starting Fat Riker?!

I just want this, and my wife seems oddly interested in Start Trek with him as Pike as well.  Maybe she really likes the character.

spacer.png

Give me an Enterprise with him, Number One, and Spock, doing standalone episodes out exploring stuff,

Give us a Picard-era show with Rios, Seven, and the Romulan housekeepers.   If you want Picard, Elrond, etc., fine, but relegate them to supporting roles and don’t  try and have every single character moving some massive overall plat along just a tiny bit.   Give us a bunch of standalones on different planets.  Maybe some kind of A-Team type of thing.  

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

What started out with such promise in the early episodes fell into a confusing mess of stolen plot pieces of different sci-fi movies, only to have a wonderful Shakespearean/Arthur C. Clarke last 20 minutes. I will watch season 2 if it ever happens. Are Seven and Raffy going to do a girl/Borg thing?

On 3/27/2020 at 11:26 PM, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Fat Riker warping in like the biggest swinging dick in the galaxy automatically makes this a good show. 

Pretty much  made the Finale for me. Once again, I find myself liking Star Trek content that it seems like most on here don't.  I'm in for next season, and really liked this season.

Now if we EVER get the Captain Pike series, I'll be jumping for joy.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Parliament said:

I hate the last 2 episodes I don't know if I can even handle a Plinkett review of it.

On the other hand, Alex Kurtzman could try and tangle with the RLM folks.   He’s vain enough, and seems to lack the self-awareness that even George Lucas was able to muster up.  

I watched some episodes again, and I would love to see a competent film editor try and boil Picard down to about 4-5 episodes   I bet there could be a solid series there.   There is way too much filler.

I don't mind 'filler' episodes because it allows one to exist in the universe longer as they tell more stories and expose more of the characters background.  Much of the Mandalorian could have been cut out and distilled into 1/2 of the episodes.  But then the Jawa slaying is gone, and the 7 Samurai style episode is also gone, and you don't get the appreciate the threat posed by a single AT-ST.  You also lose the brotherhood but rivalry of the surviving Mandalorians.  

No it didn't, but then again we don't ever see eye to eye on this stuff.

I don't think it was great, definitely started real slow and took time to pick it up, but I enjoyed it.  Was worth watching as a Star Trek fan.

Spoiler for season 2 cast

and more

[spioler] Beverly Crusher returns, has a dream she's fucking a ghost, and wakes up next to Picard.[/spoiler]

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Js1 said:

4 hours ago, MillerEP said:

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

spacer.png

Just wish Alex Kurtzman wasn't involved.  But I will happily take the Pike series.   That trio redeemed Discovery season 2.

Hell to the fuck yes

There will be NO Anson Mount as Pike slander on this site.

• Haha 1

Posted elsewhere

For anyone keeping track, here are all the Star Trek shows confirmed in production:

• Star Trek: Discovery
  • Star Trek: Picard
  • Star Trek: Section 31*
  • Star Trek: Lower Decks
  • Star Trek: Short Treks
  • Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
  • untitled Star Trek show about Starfleet Academy
  • untitled Nickelodeon Star Trek Show

That's 7-8 shows total. And on top of that, we have two films confirmed in development.

*Section 31 is rumored to have been put on hold in preference of SNW 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Drew said:

There will be NO Anson Mount as Pike slander on this site.

I've talked to other Star Trek fans, or even more casual fans that I know, and most of them liked him right from the start.  There was no trial period, no "I've got to see more of his character".  It was like "I've seen three minutes of him as Pike and I'm in, and I want a series with him."

And the three of them...it's crazy how quickly the chemistry developed.  Feels like TOS.

• Like 3

I mean as someone who hasn't been shy about actually liking both shows(especially the 2nd half of the first season and 2nd season of Discovery), and most of Picard, if it's any better than those(and I have no doubt it will be based on the actors and chemistry itself), then I'll be very happy.

Probably my favorite scene with he and Admiral Corwell, and his acting, particularly his face after she compliments him after ripping him is just so great.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...