Worst Casting

Parliament

15 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

I thought AJ was portrayed perfectly as a spoiled shit who never had to work for anything. Like most suburban raised teens. Teens are unlikable and he nailed it. I  want to reach through the tv and slap him every time he showed up.

I thought Baldwin was great in the role, but like Harrison Ford as J. Ryan better.  Baldwin was definitely better than Afleck.

Yep agree AJ was a little shit, and the actor was well cast IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

Baldwin was perfect for Red October, imo. He nailed the “just an analyst” forced into action role better than what Harrison Ford would have in my opinion. I don’t think Baldwin would have been as good in “Patriot Games” or “Clear and Present Danger” just because Ford is more believable as an action star.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

A few I don't recall seeing mentioned:

Alec Baldwin in Hunt for Red October.  That should've been Harrison Ford, imo. 
Ricky Schroeder as Newt in Lonesome Dove (full disclosure he's irritated TF out of me since Silver Spoons).  They made up for it by casting Diane Lane as Lori Darlin', though. 
Robert Iler as AJ in Sopranos.  No fucking way he pulls off playing Tony's son...too damn little and wimpy.  I suppose it could be said that he was cast very young and never grew into the role. 

Baldwin >>> Old Ass Harrison Ford

It’s really not close. Baldwin as Jack Ryan was a wonky, reluctant action hero. Lot’s of energy and comedy at own expense.

Ford was Old Ford. Could have been playing the President and yelling “get off my plane!”

Your conclusions were all wrong. Ford acted stupidly.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Baldwin was perfect for Red October, imo. He nailed the “just an analyst” forced into action role better than what Harrison Ford would have in my opinion. I don’t think Baldwin would have been as good in “Patriot Games” or “Clear and Present Danger” just because Ford is more believable as an action star.

Jack Ryan’s not a believable action hero. Thats part of whats so compelling about the character.

Just now, Eskimohorn said:

Jack Ryan’s not a believable action hero. Thats part of whats so compelling about the character.

I completely agree, although that doesn't seem to be the case with the way they did the next two movies.  It's why I thought Ford was great in those two and that Baldwin may not have been as good. 

4 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

I thought AJ was portrayed perfectly as a spoiled shit who never had to work for anything. Like most suburban raised teens. Teens are unlikable and he nailed it. I  want to reach through the tv and slap him every time he showed up.

so what, no fuckin ziti now?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Hate said:

I completely agree, although that doesn't seem to be the case with the way they did the next two movies.  It's why I thought Ford was great in those two and that Baldwin may not have been as good. 

Hunt for Red October was a better movie than any of the succeeding ones

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Meh, as I was reading Clancy's books his description of Jack Ryan had me thinking HF.  Baldwin was too much of a pretty boy. 

Interesting. I read a few Jack Ryan books before they made the movies. I don’t recall picturing an actor while reading it, but though AB was perfect and HF was miscast. Of course, I also think Jim Halpert is pretty good as Jack Ryan. The Jack I remember from the books wasn’t an badass. He was an analyst.

6 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Interesting. I read a few Jack Ryan books before they made the movies. I don’t recall picturing an actor while reading it, but though AB was perfect and HF was miscast. Of course, I also think Jim Halpert is pretty good as Jack Ryan. The Jack I remember from the books wasn’t an badass. He was an analyst.

Reading the books I never had AB in my head as Jack Ryan, but he was good in The Hunt For Red October.

Odd question. There have been a lot of actors that have portrayed John F. Kennedy. Who do you think has been the best? Bruce Greenwood was pretty good in Thirteen Days. He looked like him from certain angles. Kennedy had a charisma and humor that’s got to be hard to cast. Overall I don’t think anyone has nailed his looks. 

Odd question. There have been a lot of actors that have portrayed John F. Kennedy. Who do you think has been the best? Bruce Greenwood was pretty good in Thirteen Days. He looked like him from certain angles. Kennedy had a charisma and humor that’s got to be hard to cast. Overall I don’t think anyone has nailed his looks. 

I wonder if this could be Matt Damon’s Oscar role.

3 hours ago, Brandywine said:

27637CC0-D680-42D7-B455-8598B5440B6E.jpeg.94340df3317c963f1972deb4e85165f1.jpeg

1 minute ago, Parliament said:
16 hours ago, Michael Knight said:
Hunt for Red October was a better movie than any of the succeeding ones

Hardly a controversial take there. "Clear and Present Danger" is a rewatchable movie, but tH4RO is a cinema icon.

Red October, Clear and present  danger, and Patriot games are all good.

Red October is a few rungs above the other 2. Connery, a supporting cast of great character actors, Subs, Nukes, classic Cold War hide and seek, great story line. MOTHER OF GOD !  What's not to like...

I read the book in 2 sitttings.  Couldn't put it down. Clancey was hauled before Congress to answer questions about how he was able to construct the accurate portrayal of modern sub protocol.

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Red October, Clear and present  danger, and Patriot games are all good.

Red October is a few rungs above the other 2. Connery, a supporting cast of great character actors, Subs, Nukes, classic Cold War hide and seek, great story line. MOTHER OF GOD !  What's not to like...

I read the book in 2 sitttings.  Couldn't put it down. Clancey was hauled before Congress to answer questions about how he was able to construct the accurate portrayal of modern sub protocol.

first real role of the great sean bean too.

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Clancey was hauled before Congress to answer questions about how he was able to construct the accurate portrayal of modern sub protocol.

I'm afraid that's simply not possible because:

According to repeated statements by both Soviet and American Governments, nothing of what we saw...ever happened.  

16 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

He may have been an analyst but he was also a Marine. 

On 3/2/2021 at 6:43 PM, Brandywine said:

Art Hindle played JFK in the 1987 film J Edgar Hoover, with Treat Williams playing Hoover.

Hindle appeared only briefly but I thought he got everything about JFK pretty well.

Greenwood did a good job sounding like JFK.  I fuckin love Thirteen Days.

The dude who played RFK was impressive, as well.

7 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Art Hindle played JFK in the 1987 film J Edgar Hoover, with Treat Williams playing Hoover.

Hindle appeared only briefly but I thought he got everything about JFK pretty well.

The dude who played RFK was impressive, as well.

https://m.imdb.com/list/ls006479982/

On 3/4/2021 at 12:48 PM, Augustus said:

Highly underrated film. My heart is pounding every time they hit those damned sparrows.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hate said:

Elizabeth Montgomery...mmmmmmmm.  When she would wiggle that little nose.  I said goddamn.

Elizabeth-Montgomery1.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

11 minutes ago, Underdog said:

^ Absolute gorgeous woman, FB Group I joined up with posts a lot of pics of the classic beauties... 

spacer.png

Wait a minute. When did this go from worst casting to 70s female stars that get you hot? NTTAWWT.

Heather Thomas.

c071c5701834aafc640a3fc93c6e55d6.gif

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

Yeah, it's a great movie. I read some review calling it boring.  I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.

Very well done film.  Anyone who was alive in October of 1962 has to be in thrall of Thirteen Days.  I vividly recall the terrible moaning of late night London Blitz-type air raid siren drills in my hometown.  We knew it was only a drill but it scared the living shit out of my young ass just the same.   I begged my Army Air Corps WW2 vet father to put a fallout shelter in the back yard.  He asked me what I would do when my neighbor pals Jim and Robert came tapping on the door to be let in, given that there would be only enough food, water and space for our family.  That one stumped me.  Then I thought, "Those little shits will block our air tubes."  Thank God Nikita blinked and we had a base in Turkey to trade.

The Saturday Evening Post | December 8, 1962 at Wolfgang's

Very well done film.  Anyone who was alive in October of 1962 has to be in thrall of Thirteen Days.  I vividly recall the terrible moaning of late night London Blitz-type air raid siren drills in my hometown.  We knew it was only a drill but it scared the living shit out of my young ass just the same.   I begged my Army Air Corps WW2 vet father to put a fallout shelter in the back yard.  He asked me what I would do when my neighbor pals Jim and Robert came tapping on the door to be let in, given that there would be only enough food, water and space for our family.  That one stumped me.  Then I thought, "Those little shits will block our air tubes."  Thank God Nikita blinked and we had a base in Turkey to trade.
the-saturday-evening-post-vintage-magazine-dec-8-1962.webp

I was only about 3 months old when it happened, but when i became old enough to understand it, the nuke scare was something we always thought about until Nixon’s detente policy was in place. We had those drills when you crawled under your desk and kissed your ass goodbye. While playing outside if we saw a mushroom shaped cumulus cloud in the east toward Houston we worried about a nuke strike. It was part of life then.
  • Hook 'Em 1