Worst Casting

Parliament

10 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Just the tip, just for a second...

So many classic lines in that movie-  motorboat, stage 5 clinger, good band, bad band its like pizza baby, might as well be a bulls'eye, lets go shoot some birds, im not perfect, but who are we kidding, you arent either,  a friend in need is a pest (great surly motto), whole speech with the priest.  

6 minutes ago, lateshow said:

The problem became him trying to play that part in every movie in which he was cast. 

No doubt. He was pretty good in Hacksaw Ridge

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

So many classic lines in that movie-  motorboat, stage 5 clinger, good band, bad band its like pizza baby, might as well be a bulls'eye, lets go shoot some birds, im not perfect, but who are we kidding, you arent either,  a friend in need is a pest (great surly motto), whole speech with the priest.  

No doubt. He was pretty good in Hacksaw Ridge

He is funny as hell, and not a bad dramatic actor

On 8/5/2018 at 2:30 PM, Surly Bevo said:

I'm a sucker for Costner and also will admit this movie is a guilty pleasure.  BUT if you want to hear a true butchering of an accent check out his work in Thirteen Days (another movie I love despite some of the liberties it takes with history and well.... the worst Boston accent of all time)

On 8/5/2018 at 8:57 PM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Marky Mark in anything other than Fear.

On 8/6/2018 at 4:11 AM, Dbeasy said:

He’s fine in The Nice Guys, the Departed, and a few other things.

On 8/6/2018 at 6:49 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

He can pull off a hood from southie. 

On 8/6/2018 at 3:36 PM, tantric superman said:

Some of you aren't kidding about not liking Marky Mark. 

My wife and kids will call me to come in and see any scene if he shows up.

"Dad, the fight scene in Ted is about to start!"

If you can do the Boston accent... ANY OF THEM... then the casting wasn't the worst.

• Like 2

On 8/23/2018 at 12:53 PM, MoJames said:

11960585_f520.jpg

Always bothered me...

This was the one that I was thinking of by about the 3rd or 4th reply. It was the worst casting that I'd ever seen. Especially because the book was so widely read. It wasn't like it had a cult following, the book had a NATIONAL following. I mean, like Harry Potter-level readership.

Then they chose a good actor who was about 10 to 15 years too old to play the part and wouldn't have passed for a 35 year-old fit swimmer/college professor (unless the viewer was legally blind) and then added a ridiculous hairdo on the guy that made absolutely no sense at all.

tom-hanks-517.jpg

At that time, I thought that Guy Pearce would have been a much better choice. He was lean, fit, younger, and could pass for a strong/athletic intellectual.

Guy-Pearce-600x966.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

This was the one that I was thinking of by about the 3rd or 4th reply. It was the worst casting that I'd ever seen. Especially because the book was so widely read. It wasn't like it had a cult following, the book had a NATIONAL following. I mean, like Harry Potter-level readership.

Then they chose a good actor who was about 10 to 15 years too old to play the part and wouldn't have passed for a 35 year-old fit swimmer/college professor (unless the viewer was legally blind) and then added a ridiculous hairdo on the guy that made absolutely no sense at all.

tom-hanks-517.jpg

At that time, I thought that Guy Pearce would have been a much better choice. He was lean, fit, younger, and could pass for a strong/athletic intellectual.

Guy-Pearce-600x966.jpg

I never read the books, and only saw the first movie, but I didn't think Hanks was bad.  His hair was weird though.  Was he an action hero in the book?  Doesn't seem like those things had any relevance in the movie.

5 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I never read the books, and only saw the first movie, but I didn't think Hanks was bad.  His hair was weird though.  Was he an action hero in the book?  Doesn't seem like those things had any relevance in the movie.

No, the character at the time of The Da Vinci Code was supposed to be ~35-37 years-old, an Ivy League professor specializing in Symbolism who was an avid swimmer, and just all-round active guy. Kind of like a toned-down more-refined Indiana Jones on the academia side, but without all of the ropes, whips, guns, & archaeologist adventure side. You'd expect to see him in a lecture hall, a museum, or a cocktail party. He had nothing in the way of fighting/martial arts experience, nor experience with weapons or the military.

He was a professor who specialized in symbols who happened to get caught up in an adventure, because of the field that he happened to be an expert in. He was called in to consult on something and then he started discovering too much and as a result was chased and he had to escape, but continued to try to piece together the puzzles of the mystery while trying not to get caught.

No, the character at the time of The Da Vinci Code was supposed to be ~35-37 years-old, an Ivy League professor specializing in Symbolism who was an avid swimmer, and just all-round active guy. Kind of like a toned-down more-refined Indiana Jones on the academia side, but without all of the ropes, whips, guns, & archaeologist adventure side. You'd expect to see him in a lecture hall, a museum, or a cocktail party. He had nothing in the way of fighting/martial arts experience, nor experience with weapons or the military.
He was a professor who specialized in symbols who happened to get caught up in an adventure, because of the field that he happened to be an expert in. He was called in to consult on something and then he started discovering too much and as a result was chased and he had to escape, but continued to try to piece together the puzzles of the mystery while trying not to get caught.

I wouldnt call it worst casting because hes Harrison Ford, but old ass Ford as Jack Ryan was a notch below Alec Baldwin, who played it with more energy.

Tom Hanks had similar issues.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

I wouldnt call it worst casting because hes Harrison Ford, but old ass Ford as Jack Ryan was a notch below Alec Baldwin, who played it with more energy.

Tom Hanks had similar issues.

Similar thing with me. I never saw the full "Hunt For Red October", but then read some other Jack Ryan books while I was backpacking through Europe. (Also read some other Tom Clancy books that took place in various cities I visited, so visualizing the locations in the books was fun.)

I remember thinking "Why the FUCK would you cast Harrison Ford in the role of something who is about 20 years younger than he is?"

Almost the exact same thing. You're casting an A-list name & quality actor for a role 15+ years YOUNGER and wrong build/energy for the part.

I get that films are different and are just "based" on the books/characters, but going OLD first, just makes successive incarnations even more ludicrous. Although I read "Angels & Demons", I can't recall if I saw it, because it was actually a prequel to "The Da Vinci Code" and seeing an even older overaged Tom Hanks play an even younger Robert Langdon was just sad.

Similar thing with me. I never saw the full "Hunt For Red October", but then read some other Jack Ryan books while I was backpacking through Europe. (Also read some other Tom Clancy books that took place in various cities I visited, so visualizing the locations in the books was fun.)
I remember thinking "Why the FUCK would you cast Harrison Ford in the role of something who is about 20 years younger than he is?"

Almost the exact same thing. You're casting an A-list name & quality actor for a role 15+ years YOUNGER and wrong build/energy for the part.
I get that films are different and are just "based" on the books/characters, but going OLD first, just makes successive incarnations even more ludicrous. Although I read "Angels & Demons", I can't recall if I saw it, because it was actually a prequel to "The Da Vinci Code" and seeing an even older overaged Tom Hanks play an even younger Robert Langdon was just sad.

Hanks was chosen because of box office. But if they recast Langdon now, I’d raid Marvel and go Chris Evans or Mark Ruffalo. Or you go British.

9 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Chris Evans would be worse imo.  Even if that fits the mold you setup, you have to realize the ridiculousness of Chris Evans as a religious symbol expert and ivy league professor.  That just seems like a ridiculous character. 

You're right. It should be Michael B. Jordan. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Quintessentially the worst cast role of all-time.  I feel bad for him sort of, because the dialogue is ridiculous and the story drags and is non-sensical, but he's awful in it.  While McGregor raises the level of the material, he lowers it.  He's been okay in some other things he just was the wrong guy for this one and it was sort of a big deal.

Star-Wars-episode-8-Hayden-Christensen-d

In otherwise a really good Scorcese movie, she's really a drag.  She not a very good actress and probably better served for lighter fare.

Cameron-Diaz-Gangs-of-New-York-650x275.j

Gary-Oldman-Keanu-Reeves-Bram-Stokers-Dr

Whoa.... Dracula.  I'm not a Keanu hater but he was hilariously bad in this.  Oldman was good although a strange choice as well.  Keanu needed to be an F. B. I. agent.

dd65a6c6690e9a43b8167338e603ae8cb866350f

A lot of folks won't get this because it's a musical, but holy shit WTF was Maximus doing trying to sing?  First, he's a horrible singer.  Beyond that, he's a horrible singer.  Did I get to the part where he can't sing and it's a fucking musical.  He also doesn't seem invested in the role.... probably because he was too distracted by not being able to sing.

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Watch Sunshine, Snowpiercer and Gifted

He play a ivy league professor / religious symbol expert in those films?  He's a fine actor, I am mainly speaking the character profile is ridiculous.  Ivy league professors / religious symbol experts don't look like Chris Evans or the dude that plays Thor if he's next on your list.

Jack Reacher’s key trait is size and brutality. He’s described as having a chest like 4 basketballs lined up, hands as big as supermarket chickens with a pectoral muscle that stopped a .38 round. The actor doesn’t have to be exactly 6’5” but he cannot be Tom Cruise. If you disagree you are wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

He play a ivy league professor / religious symbol expert in those films?  He's a fine actor, I am mainly speaking the character profile is ridiculous.  Ivy league professors / religious symbol experts don't look like Chris Evans or the dude that plays Thor if he's next on your list.

In Gifted he played an ex Ivy-League professor and an engineer in Sunshine. They tried to hide his muscles in other films, but now that Captain is retiring, he’ll probably slim down.

9 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Not totally in line with this thread, bt I don't like that Tarantino is still trying to prop up Michael Madsen's career.  Enjoyed him in Reservoir Dogs and Kill Bill, but was washed up and out of place in Hateful Eight.

Michael Madsen is to Tarantino as

Rob Schneider is to Adam Sandler.

• Like 3

On 11/8/2018 at 8:08 AM, Mileslong said:

There is no way that guy would ever pass for a soldier

because every great soldier/ marine looks like Rambo or John Cena, right?

Chesty Puller was 5'7"... little bitty motherfucker.

Audie Murphy was 5'5"

Edited by slorch

On 11/8/2018 at 11:13 PM, Patrick Bateman said:

Gary-Oldman-Keanu-Reeves-Bram-Stokers-Dr

Whoa.... Dracula. 

Bastardi!  Beat me to it.  Read this whole thread and all the Tom Cruise debate just to be sure no one else had mentioned my candidate for worst casting, spoken word, Keanu as Jonathan Harker, everyone's favorite sacrificial lamb whose innocent journey sets up the entire plot, is cast as a Victorian surfer law clerk.  His casting spoilt this movie but I still watch it every time it catches my eye.  Oldman, even with the odd hair and getups, gives me the heebie jeebies every time he opens his mouth, whether to utter lines like "Leesten to the cheeld-d-ren of the naeiight; whot bewwdifole mewzzick dhey mayke," or to lick Jonathan Dude's drops of blood off the edge of that straight razor.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2018 at 10:44 PM, Butch Had Not said:

That guy who played john Conner in part 3

I don't need to see it to know Travolta as gotti doesn't work.

That dude cast as Murdock in a team. You have three recognizable faces and then some other guy. 

These are all good points.  John Connor was a turd weasel in that.  

On 8/17/2018 at 7:38 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

This thread begins and ends with John Wayne as Genghis Khan in The Conqueror. Did he owe somebody money? 

IIRC, Wayne played several parts because he had a financial interest in them and the studios wouldn't make them unless he played the lead. I know that was the case when he played Davy Crockett. He wanted a younger actor. May have been the case with The Conquerer. 

FWIW, Mel Gibson wanted to cast a different actor for Braveheart, but couldn't get financing unless he played the lead. He thought he was too old to play the young William Wallace, cause he was in his thirties and Wallace was in his teens. 

• 4 weeks later...
Wilford Brimley in The Firm as the scary tough hatchet man out for blood.  

Thought he was great. Seemed like “aw shucks” then lays on the photos of sex on the beach. Just like the firm, they both were evil on the inside despite appearances. They then mixed it up with the creepy albino guy.

Thought the movie was better than the book.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Brimley was great as an ex-cop turned private security. I work with those guys all the time. They're either old, smart and fat or young, dumb and muscled up.

Watching a Villa Rides right now with Yul Brynner as Pancho Villa and Charles Bronson as his Mexican sidekick. Neither is even attempting to use a Spanish accent.

Edited by RPM