Nerdsplaining Movie Plot Holes

Eskimohorn

18 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Raiders- How did Indy survive the submarine ride to the Nazi island?

World War II submarines were basically surface ships that could travel underwater for a limited time. Diesel engines gave them high surface speed and long range, but speed and range were severely reduced underwater, where they relied on electric motors 

(source: http://americanhistory.si.edu/subs/history/subsbeforenuc/ww2/)

• Like 3

How did Indy affect the outcome of that movie? With or without him, the Germans find the ark and die. 

The Germans would have found the ark and other Germans would have investigated the site and returned it to Berlin. They then would have tortured some rabbi’s and tested it on the Jews.
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

The Germans would have found the ark and other Germans would have investigated the site and returned it to Berlin. They then would have tortured some rabbi’s and tested it on the Jews.

Or not. Or the Germans would've opened the ark again and died again. Or when the tortured rabbis were forced to open the ark it would've killed the Germans again. 

Any of which would have made for a better sequel than the one we got. 

13 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Trading Places- How did Billy Ray and Louis make money off frozen OJ and bankrupt the Dukes?

Die Hard- How would Hans Gruber earn 20% while sitting around a beach?

Raiders- How did Indy survive the submarine ride to the Nazi island?

Trading Places was not hard to understand

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

How did Indy affect the outcome of that movie? With or without him, the Germans find the ark and die. 

Well if he hadn't provoked them to open the ark, they might have sent it back to Berlin and had Hitler do the honors. So Indy saved Hitler, probably.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Only because Indy had the amulet. Without Indy they would've had the amulet and dug in the right place. 

Weren't the Germans already digging before Indy even got involved?  They had no idea where the medallion/Ravenwood was, thus tailing Indy to find him/it. 

10 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Weren't the Germans already digging before Indy even got involved?  They had no idea where the medallion/Ravenwood was, thus tailing Indy to find him/it. 

Yes, because Indy had the amulet. They only had the half that was burned into the melty-face German's hand. If not for Indy, they would've had the amulet, dug in the right place, found the ark, opened it, and all died. Instead, Indy had the amulet, led them to the ark, they took it, opened it, and all died. 

4 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

It's because Smails is an idiot.

The match was all-square going to 18. Everyone gets on the green on the same shot. Beeper and Webb both two putt, but Smails makes his 1 putt. That puts the pressure on Danny to make his and halve the hole. Note what Webb says to Danny:

"You've got this one. You miss it, we lose."

Not, if you make it we win. Thus, that putt was miss = lose, make = TIE.

But then it all changes:

"Hey, Judge! Double or nothing he makes it!"

And with that it changes the whole thing. It's no longer about the match, he's changing the bet to be about the putt, thus it's now miss = lose, make = WIN.

Smails is stupid to take the bet, even for more money, because it goes from win/tie to win/lose.

That seems like a reasonable explanation to something that has always bothered me.  So originally, if he misses it, Smails wins the bet.  If he makes it, it's a tie and nobody wins.  After the double or nothing, now if he misses it, Smails win the bet x 2.  If he makes it, Smails loses an amount equal to the original bet.  Or maybe he loses the bet x 2.  And everybody gets laid.  

Do I have the right?  

Shawshank. When he’s making his escape he beats on the sewer pipe in time with the thunder until it busts open and shit comes flying out of it up to the ceiling in a big geyser. Then he sticks his head in the hole and we see the river of shit he has to crawl through. So was the pipe pressurized or what? At the least wouldn’t the pipe have been completely full for it to spew out like that and not just a quarter full or whatever we see when he’s crawling through?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

Shawshank. When he’s making his escape he beats on the sewer pipe in time with the thunder until it busts open and shit comes flying out of it up to the ceiling in a big geyser. Then he sticks his head in the hole and we see the river of shit he has to crawl through. So was the pipe pressurized or what? At the least wouldn’t the pipe have been completely full for it to spew out like that and not just a quarter full or whatever we see when he’s crawling through?

Shit rolls down hill usually so no pressure, and he just spilled out the end of an open end pipe.  

In the cinematic classic "Boiler Room" - how does Giovanni Ribisi successfully backup an entire computer's hard drive on a floppy disk, as he's instructed to do?

I think I actually laughed out loud and said "WTF" when that scene occurred, and it is so ingrained in my memory that I remember that scene and my reaction nearly 2 decades later...

Edited by mbpcb
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mbpcb said:

In the cinematic classic "Boiler Room" - how does Giovanni Ribisi successfully backup an entire computer's hard drive on a floppy disk, as he's instructed to do?

I think I actually laughed out loud and said "WTF" when that scene occurred, and it is so ingrained in my memory that I remember that scene and my reaction nearly 2 decades later...

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:01 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark is actually a taoist essay on the futility of action.  It's often misidentified as an action movie.

• Like 3

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark is actually a taoist essay on the futility of action.  It's often misidentified as an action movie.

The famous truck chase scene is an allegory of the futility of action. He fights, gets thrown out the window over the hood, almost gets smashed, then drags himself under the truck, climbs back on truck and finds himself in the truck cabin fighting the same Nazi.
  • Like 1

Back to the Future 2 - In the beginning, Doc takes Marty and Jennifer to the future because “something’s gotta be done about their kids.” 

But if Doc took Marty and Jennifer to future from 1985, wouldn’t they have just gone missing and not have been able to get married and have kids?

2 hours ago, MrBig said:

Back to the Future 2 - In the beginning, Doc takes Marty and Jennifer to the future because “something’s gotta be done about their kids.” 

But if Doc took Marty and Jennifer to future from 1985, wouldn’t they have just gone missing and not have been able to get married and have kids?

No. 

2 hours ago, MrBig said:

No. The point of that is to fix Marty Jr's mistake of joining Griff and then go back to the same point in 1985. Marty and Jennifer are back at the same point in time and can go about their lives. Of course, Dr Brown could've just warned Marty and Jennifer about it, and they could've dealt with it when the time came, but that would've thrown the entire movie out the window. 

It's because Smails is an idiot.
The match was all-square going to 18. Everyone gets on the green on the same shot. Beeper and Webb both two putt, but Smails makes his 1 putt. That puts the pressure on Danny to make his and halve the hole. Note what Webb says to Danny:
"You've got this one. You miss it, we lose."
Not, if you make it we win. Thus, that putt was miss = lose, make = TIE.
But then it all changes:
"Hey, Judge! Double or nothing he makes it!"
And with that it changes the whole thing. It's no longer about the match, he's changing the bet to be about the putt, thus it's now miss = lose, make = WIN.
Smails is stupid to take the bet, even for more money, because it goes from win/tie to win/lose.

604547e3ae55c82ce767b80d921ec459.gif
  • Like 1

You don’t really need to wait until BTTF2 to worry about plot holes. How about the whole notion that if George beats Biff’s ass and is now this smooth motherfucking writer who is plugging hot skinny Lorraine, writing best selling novels, buying Marty a 4x4 and accomplishing anything he puts his mind to that Marty probably doesn’t have the kind of upbringing that leads him to spend all his time hanging out with a crazy ass single scientist who used to spend all his time with a bunch of cabbies in New York City.

Gremlins
Why was the Magwai for sell if it was in fact so furking dangerous..? That's right if not the movie would be at most 8 minutes...

So you must have missed the part where the old man says “Magwai not for sale” and then his grandson does the typical stupid kid thing of selling it without permission.
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

So you must have missed the part where the old man says “Magwai not for sale” and then his grandson does the typical stupid kid thing of selling it without permission.

No, I had to see it, but my point is that why was it in the store to where one could assume it for sale..? (actually you make a good point, but)

Why would the grandkid have access to such an unstable creature..? The old man did a bad job of keeping his grandson in check... #Switches&Paddles...

1 hour ago, kopp0e said:

No, I had to see it, but my point is that why was it in the store to where one could assume it for sale..? (actually you make a good point, but)

Why would the grandkid have access to such an unstable creature..? The old man did a bad job of keeping his grandson in check... #Switches&Paddles...

The old man was an old fucking man.  Do you really need it explained why old people do stupid shit?

15 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

The old man was an old fucking man.  Do you really need it explained why old people do stupid shit?

Nope, I follow you, and you had a good point, I just wanted to state the way I saw it as a fallacy in the film... But it's still a timeless classic nonetheless..!