Homebrewers - What’s on Tap?

Dark Horse

I haven't brewed anything yet but it'll be a dark lager.  The yeast is wlp830 german lager.  I was planning on brewing tomorrow but I might push it to Sunday to give the starter as much time to come around as possible. 

I've never had my tank recertified because I always take them to the welding shop and just swap them out.  

Edited by deft

If you're only brewing 5 gallons, any commercial homebrew pitch (liquid or dry) will do fine without a starter.  You'll get some lag, but as long as your sanitation is good, you'll be fine.  The end product always was as good for me despite any period of lag with 830.  Solid lager yeast. 

• Like 2

Re: @darkhorse, what are you feeding with that? Curious, as I'm currently just using a 5# setup as well, with 3-4 corny kegs on. Seems to have worked ok so far, aside from losing a couple cylinders to a slow leak in my system from sloppy seals

Started my first kölsch earlier this week after coming off a week of the night shift, and a couple days later started my first lager attempt, a Blue Paddle clone from AHS . Should be interesting.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯1500a5b087703e523196e60d4ecc6980.jpg1fda9b42154c8bbdc8b3de435608fd97.jpg

Re: @darkhorse, what are you feeding with that? Curious, as I'm currently just using a 5# setup as well, with 3-4 corny kegs on. Seems to have worked ok so far, aside from losing a couple cylinders to a slow leak in my system from sloppy seals

2 taps but I want to add a third for carbonated water which uses pretty high pressure/carbonation. I also purge my kegs before filling and use closed transfers.

5# works ok, I don’t have to refill that often. The refill cost for the larger tanks is much cheaper $/#.

Brewed ahs “Darth Lager”. Looks like a schwarz according the recipe. Pitched the 830 starter and just waiting for fermentation to start

It, obviously by style, only had an ounce at bittering and no more. This is the cleanest I’ve ever seen my whirlpool work
97ae8233e2078bd671fdb2bc83a15e84.jpg

• Like 1

Ok it's cranking along now.  This is only my 3rd of 4th lager so I'm trying to get better at it.  I used ground water down to 100 in my IC then recirc'd ice water bath using a pond pump to get it to 60.  Then moved to ferm chamber and pitched the starter that was also chilled to 60.  I'm seeing a lot of people on beer forums recommending to chill down to the 40's and then pitch.  With out groundwater, that's out of the question obviously.  I'd need to throw it in the fermentation chamber and let it chill, then it hit it with o2 before pitching thus potentially introducing bugs.  Do dcbc and darkhorse, what say you?  Pitch at 60 or chill down to 45, oxygenate and then pitch?

While we're asking lager questions... I've had my first attempt on the yeast at 50* for a week, and bubbling in the airlock is slowing down, so I'm going to go back up on the temp for a diacetyl rest.  Palmer and a lot of places I've seen online say to go up 10*, though this would take me out of the prescribed range of 50-55* for my yeast (WLP 840).  I'm good on that, correct?  Looking for some reassurance, since this is new to me.

wayne's world we fear change GIF

Finally kegged my Zwickel Lager made with Kveik Oslo yeast.  First pull is pretty clear (seast settles well), and tastes a little bit sharp.  But, it's only been force carbed for a day and a half, and still needs to lager for a few weeks.  So, I anticipate it mellowing out.  Still can't believe how fast this yeast works- at room temp (which is on the low, low side of the recommended fermentation temperature range.)

I’m going to sell my home brew set up.  I’m in Allen, TX.

Let me know if any of you guys are interested.  I have a complete set up for brewing 5 gallon batches

Grainfather Electric 

SS brew tech fermenter

Custom Made Keezer with three taps

and a bunch of other shit.

30-F495-B5-2-FBD-4-A63-95-C7-98-F4668-CB

C6459-CFC-96-E9-4-B55-8-F5-E-9-BA1-F537-

anyone used this kveik yeast?  just saw an article about it.  looks pretty cool if there is really no difference in taste in beers fermented at different temps.  excerpt below.

“We managed to get a hold of the kveik yeast from an English yeast bank and as soon as we got one, we did a split-batch fermentation, basically brewing the same wort in three batches, at 68ºF, 85ºF and one in the 90s,” Shaner says. “We were instantly smitten. You really couldn’t taste the different between the three beers, which would be unheard of with [a standard ale yeast strain].”

article here:  https://thetakeout.com/what-is-kveik-yeast-1835131715

not even sure if it's available at HB stores or online.  

Will probably break out the equipment and get ready for a brew here this weekend.  Thinking of a nice Maibock.

anyone used this kveik yeast?  just saw an article about it.  looks pretty cool if there is really no difference in taste in beers fermented at different temps.  excerpt below.
“We managed to get a hold of the kveik yeast from an English yeast bank and as soon as we got one, we did a split-batch fermentation, basically brewing the same wort in three batches, at 68ºF, 85ºF and one in the 90s,” Shaner says. “We were instantly smitten. You really couldn’t taste the different between the three beers, which would be unheard of with [a standard ale yeast strain].”
article here:  https://thetakeout.com/what-is-kveik-yeast-1835131715
not even sure if it's available at HB stores or online.  
Will probably break out the equipment and get ready for a brew here this weekend.  Thinking of a nice Maibock.

I haven’t brewed with it, but I’ve yet to try a beer that uses it and be disappointed

I brewed a session neipa with it a few weeks ago. I was able to get it at Defalcos in Houston. I fermented as warm as my fermentation chamber could manage (around 85F) and it was done in 3 days. I brewed it on a Saturday and kegged it the following Friday.

I could see myself using it quite often for IPAs. It’s supposed to give citrus notes but I can’t distinguish the yeast citrus flavor from the hop citrus flavor.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 4:54 PM, Dark Horse said:

I brewed a session neipa with it a few weeks ago. I was able to get it at Defalcos in Houston. I fermented as warm as my fermentation chamber could manage (around 85F) and it was done in 3 days. I brewed it on a Saturday and kegged it the following Friday.

I could see myself using it quite often for IPAs. It’s supposed to give citrus notes but I can’t distinguish the yeast citrus flavor from the hop citrus flavor.

That's pretty awesome.  I may see if I can get a hold of some and knock a quick 5 gallon batch.  Will need to 'warm up' the ferm chamber.

• 4 weeks later...
Has anyone brewed a gose?  Seems like you can either naturally sour it or use acid malt.  Looking for some anecdotal evidence that either way turns out well.

I’ve done kettle soured Berliner Weisse and a Gose. I think either of those style lends well to kettle sours. I used Goodbelly for the L plantarum Lactobacillus.

I haven’t used acid malt, but I was never a fan of using it to adjust pH. I prefer to use lactic acid. Blue Owl uses grain for Lacto, so it must work for some people.

Just be aware of the risks involved with kettle sours. It’s possible to grow clostridium botulinum if you’re not careful.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, trying this Kviek stuff out for the first time on an AHS Norwegian farmhouse ale.  Never had a starter krauesen this much.  Kviek evidently responds well to the brewing soundtrack of Viking Death Metal.

What fermentation temp have y'all been using?  I was thinking somewhere between 85-95 just because I can and it's summer.

IMG_20190727_115217.jpg

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190727115156027_COVER.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just carbonated my first kviek as well, AHS Norsk Gardshus Ale.  Kviek is indeed nuts, fermented it at 95 and it ripped through it, starting within an hour or so of pitching.  Wish I'd tried kviek back before I had temperature control.

ESB, grapefruit IPA, and pumpkin cream ale are presently in various stages of fermentation/conditioning.

nastï møøse bite kviek.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Oskar Blues Old Chub clone today.  16lbs grain, maxes out my rig.  Haven't ever added (or felt I needed) the AHS 'Alcohol Boost,' but I had one around, and figured why not for this one.  Should serve as a winter warmer.

ESB is done and freshly carbonated.  Love it -- the weather is turning at precisely the right time.

thats a lot of grain flip flop.jpg

the princess bittercup esb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Helles Bock didn’t turn out like I wanted; finished too high on the FG and too high in alcohol.

Brewed a mock Doppelbock this morning and pitched the Omega Hot Head kveik yeast. I plan to add some oak/bourbon at kegging.

I really want to master kveik yeast, I think it will help me brew more often.

Does anyone overbuild a starter and bank the extra yeast? I’m thinking about keeping each kveik strain around at all times since it’s not the easiest to get.

I’ve posted here before but our group has two innoc’d barrels in a members garage. We recently kegged a blonde and put a kveik porter in.

The blonde is good but after the red that came out previously, boring. We were all tasked with coming up with our post barrel alternatives. They picked fruit, crypto hop shit, etc.

Toasted oak spike soaked in cheap red wine for a week. Then toss the entire bottle in the keg.
b3cdb5a261b5a42ef361f57c515b23bc.jpg44466b4f7ee9ed077b845e761836d6c6.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...