Great Directors that made a shitty movie or two

Bash Riprock

Here's my list:

Paul Thomas Anderson - Inherent Vice

Martin Scorsese - Wolf of Wall Street (unpopular opinion)

Steven Speilberg - Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Ready Player One, War of the Worlds

Ridley Scott - Robinhood, Exodus: Gods and Kings

Honorable Mention: Lady Killers (Cohen Brothers) Downsizing (Alexander Payne)

I was going to list Oliver Stone. But is he a good director? He has had some great movies (Talk Radio, Wall Street, Platoon, Born on the 4th of July, JFK), but he has a laundry list of bad movies, he has declined big time. Same goes for M Night Shyamalan, his bad to good ratio is bad. 

Am I missing anyone?

3 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

You are wrong, Wolf of Wall Street was awesome. It's not traditional Scorsese drama, but that's not what he was going for. The qualoods scene was the best bit of acting in Dicaprio's entire career. 

Also, it gave us this:

giphy.gif

Yep. That movie is fucking hilarious. The Rob Reiner scene where he comes in all pissed off, bitching out Belfort and them is gold. Same with airplane scene where they showed up fucking hammered. Just a glorious all around movie 

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Wolf of Wall Street was cheesy and over the top but it was still solid entertainment.  I wouldn't call it shitty, but it's certainly not one of Scorsese's best.

Yep. 

As a huge Scorsese fan I don't think there's much debate about the fact that Bringing Out the Dead is the biggest WTF of his career. It's so bad I've often wondered if he had a temporary relapse & got coked up again. It's unwatchable.

Just saw Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore on TCM a few months ago. Underrated film.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

As a huge Scorsese fan I don't think there's much debate about the fact that Bringing Out the Dead is the biggest WTF of his career. It's so bad I've often wondered if he had a temporary relapse & got coked up again. It's unwatchable.

Just saw Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore on TCM a few months ago. Underrated film.

Agree with this..... It was during Nic Cage's zenith but it's a pretty terrible watch.  Silence is another movie folks didn't care to see although critics liked it.  He also brought us Vinyl, a series on HBO that sucked shit.

27 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Every great director who's prolific enough has made a bomb or shitty movie or two..... Only directors who rarely work or had their career cut short may not qualify.  Chris Nolan is a guy who some believe hasn't had a bad movie (maybe not good movie, but not bad) and he'll eventually have one....

I really wanted to love Dunkirk.  It was meh at best.

10 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Disagree, but did you consider it bad?  Maybe not great, but a shitty movie?

Here are Nolan's major full-length movies:

Following

Memento

Insomnia

Batman Begins

The Prestige

The Dark Knight

Inception

The Dark Knight Rises

Interstellar

Dunkirk

Some didn't like Inception or maybe Memento's non-linear storytelling, but are they shitty movies or simply not something someone prefers....

And Ready Player One for Spielberg was a really good movie.  That's a terrible opinion.

18 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Yeah, Dunkirk could have been so much more but it just fell flat.  Zero character development.  It needed special effects (or are those 80 boats going to get 300k soldiers out of there?).  Seems it was filmed the way it was in order to win awards, not to entertain audiences.

9 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Disagree, but did you consider it bad?  Maybe not great, but a shitty movie?

Here are Nolan's major full-length movies:

Following

Memento

Insomnia

Batman Begins

The Prestige

The Dark Knight

Inception

The Dark Knight Rises

Interstellar

Dunkirk

Some didn't like Inception or maybe Memento's non-linear storytelling, but are they shitty movies or simply not something someone prefers....

And Ready Player One for Spielberg was a really good movie.  That's a terrible opinion.

just really disappointing.  For the magnitude of the situation I didn't get much sense of drama from the movie.

I certainly wouldn't say it is "shitty", but really disappointed for how much I like Memento, Inception and The Dark Knight.

Damn, Dunkirk was so damn great in part because you only saw bits and pieces of persons and events.  To me the movie seemed exactly like I would have expected everything to be like if I stepped on to the beach, exhausted, just hoping I would make it back home. 

The camera zipping around was the perfect way to do that.

8 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Damn, Dunkirk was so damn great in part because you only saw bits and pieces of persons and events.  To me the movie seemed exactly like I would have expected everything to be like if I stepped on to the beach, exhausted, just hoping I would make it back home. 

The camera zipping around was the perfect way to do that.

no no, the experience isn’t what matters.  we needed to learn more about who harry styles’ character was as a person to better understand that pivotal moment in WWII history.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, futureman said:

no no, the experience isn’t what matters.  we needed to learn more about who harry styles’ character was as a person to better understand that pivotal moment in WWII history.  

How about knowing who any of the characters were?  I didn't give a shit about the kid that died on the boat because his character wasn't developed at all.  

8 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

How about knowing who any of the characters were?  I didn't give a shit about the kid that died on the boat because his character wasn't developed at all.  

why?  the movie wasn’t about that kid or anyone else.  the movie was about dunkirk.  

• Like 1

Every director's career has a high point that ends followed by disappointments.  They know it as well.  It's why Tarantino says he wants to walk away eventually. And hes still made some bad ones.

This thread really includes every director of the modern era.

As for PTA, personally I'd like him to rediscover humor.