"Greg Abott is a fucking moron" - Thomas Jefferson

Michael Knight

8 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Abbott removes judges who vote to sanction homophobic judge.

Ex-members of Judicial Conduct Commission say Abbott ousted them over gay marriage case

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/texas/article/Ex-members-of-Judicial-Conduct-Commission-say-14884918.php

Suhl made an audio recording of a meeting with the governor’s staff and a later phone call. The recordings, which were reviewed by Hearst Newspapers, shows the staffers were encouraging her to act with Abbott’s views in mind.

“When we appoint people, we appreciate so much that people are willing to serve and hope that people understand that they’re serving the governor, not themselves,” one staffer said.

The concerns of Suhl and Alvarado raise questions about the independence of the commission, which was created to handle delicate cases of judicial misconduct in private and without political interference.

Not a lawyer, but are they supposed to be serving the governor or the public?

• Like 1

The Hensley case deeply divided the commission, Suhl said. Both Suhl and Alvarado said they had taken an initial vote in favor of sanctions in late 2018 because they believed judges either must perform all marriages or none and that doing otherwise exhibits a bias.

I thought the two ousted members had a good point. If a judge is performing civil ceremonies, then why not leave personal religion out of it? If Abbott were not governor, and a judge were of a different belief than Christianity, he would be okay with the same standard?

29 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I thought the two ousted members had a good point. If a judge is performing civil ceremonies, then why not leave personal religion out of it? If Abbott were not governor, and a judge were of a different belief than Christianity, he would be okay with the same standard?

Let's be perfectly clear here: this isn't even about governmental support and favoritism of Christianity.  It is governmental favoritism of a particular BRAND of Christianity.

For example, there is a significant group of Christians in the US who think that the current GOP platform is sinful and very contrary to the Gospel.  Imagine if such a person refused to perform marriage ceremonies for anyone who supports Trump on the basis that their support for Trump conflicted with their religious beliefs, and they couldn't support them in any way.  Or what if a muslim judge refused to marry a couple made up of a muslim and a non-muslim, because it's against his muslim beliefs for a muslim to marry outside the faith?  Think this regime would be all about defending their "religious freedom?"

Nope.  Not in the least.  "Religious Freedom" is a lie of a battle cry.  It's about religious favoritism, and cloaking a particular brand of American Christianity with the power and protection of the State. Make no mistake, we have a state religion right now, at this very moment -- fundamentalist Christianity.  It is supported, protected, and defended, including with retributive action, by our current government.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

They're supposed to be serving the citizens of Texas and their best interests, not a fucking wanna be king 

That's the new/old model.  The Roman Republic kept from having a king for about 460 years.  Looks like they still have us beat.

• 1 month later...
On 12/6/2019 at 12:44 PM, Brisketexan said:

Let's be perfectly clear here: this isn't even about governmental support and favoritism of Christianity.  It is governmental favoritism of a particular BRAND of Christianity.

Brisket's quote last month about Abbott's Christianity seems just as relevant now as it did then.

13 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Brisket's quote last month about Abbott's Christianity seems just as relevant now as it did then.

It's kind of a nifty deal: repeatedly call yourself an avowed adherent to a particular religion but do the opposite of its teachings.

From now on, I'm going to call myself a devout Buddhist and ignore the present. It's all about the past and the future, baby.

Edited by bolverk
Mindful schmindful
  • Like 1

Next time you find yourself in a conversation with a Trump supporter, just cut to the chase and ask them if they believe in the Golden Rule-

On one FB occasion the Trump supporter started off by asking what the Golden Rule was, affirmed he did after I explained it was treating others the way he wanted to be treated, then after a couple of back an forths informed me he didn't give a shit, at which point I told him the conversation was pointless and I'd be happy to talk again if he ever came around to giving a shit. The next morning all of his posts in our conversation were deleted.

I've also had another Trump supporter inform me the Golden Rule isn't in the Bible.

I think it's just an assumption everyone agrees on this one basic concept, but I've found if you ask some of them point blank you'll get some really interesting answers. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I mean, love your neighbor as yourself was important enough that Jesus wouldn't seperate it from love the Lord your God when asked what the greatest commandment is...

Apparently, Abbott is using “the refugees are not and never will be my neighbors” loophole to that commandment. 

• Like 2

On 12/6/2019 at 12:44 PM, Brisketexan said:

For example, there is a significant group of Christians in the US who think that the current GOP platform is sinful and very contrary to the Gospel.  Imagine if such a person refused to perform marriage ceremonies for anyone who supports Trump on the basis that their support for Trump conflicted with their religious beliefs, and they couldn't support them in any way.  Or what if a muslim judge refused to marry a couple made up of a muslim and a non-muslim, because it's against his muslim beliefs for a muslim to marry outside the faith?  Think this regime would be all about defending their "religious freedom?"

Nope.  Not in the least.  "Religious Freedom" is a lie of a battle cry.  It's about religious favoritism, and cloaking a particular brand of American Christianity with the power and protection of the State. Make no mistake, we have a state religion right now, at this very moment -- fundamentalist Christianity.  It is supported, protected, and defended, including with retributive action, by our current government.

Trump’s alignment with the evangelicals isn’t that unusual.  Kinda reminds me of Franco teaming up with the Catholic Church in Spain.  

Perhaps aligning yourself to wherever the money is in religion is almost an act of self preservation, if you’re a fascist piece of shit. 

Oh, and as to this refugee "burden" that Trumpkins like to wave around -- on a per capita basis, Texas actually takes in a relatively low number of refugees.  In fiscal 2016, a state of 28 million people resettled....7,803 refugees.  One refugee for every 3,590 Texans.

This wasn't done for any policy reason other than to be fucking dicks.  Which is our brand these days.  Abbott wanted to signal that he could be as huge a cocksucker piece of shit as DJT.  Signal sent and received.

The man took a huge settlement as compensation for his wonky legs and immediately pursued legislation that would deny anyone else from ever receiving compensation at that amount for their wonky legs.  Do as I say, not as I do.  Your wonky legs are far less important than my wonky legs.  That's how he rolls.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Chooky said:

The man took a huge settlement as compensation for his wonky legs and immediately pursued legislation that would deny anyone else from ever receiving compensation at that amount for their wonky legs.  Do as I say, not as I do.  Your wonky legs are far less important than my wonky legs.  That's how he rolls.

Seriously? This is hilariously foul if true; I need a link to educate myself on this and we need to spread this!

Edited by Rougarou

2 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Seriously? This is hilariously foul if true; I need a link to educate myself on this and we need to spread this!

Yeah it’s true. He got a 10 million dollar settlement when a tree fell on him while jogging during a thunderstorm. Today that case would be worth zero dollars. All thanks to tort reformers like hot wheels himself. 

Now he’s become the first governor in the nation to follow trump’s policy to deny refugees. Never in a million years did I think we would have a worse governor than aggy Rick. I was dead wrong. And a Longhorn to boot. Shameful.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Chooky said:

#truth

he's still getting checks for that branch 

3 hours ago, Chooky said:

3 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Yeah it’s true. He got a 10 million dollar settlement when a tree fell on him while jogging during a thunderstorm. Today that case would be worth zero dollars. All thanks to tort reformers like hot wheels himself. 

Should have also sued the doctor for malpractice. Paraplegics just need a wheelchair, they didn't need to remove his spine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Chooky said:

I remember when he trotted out  stated his justification for that legislation. It was so lame.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Statement from all 16 Catholic bishops in Texas:

The bishops call Abbott's decision "misguided" and say it "denies people who are fleeing persecution, including religious persecution, from being able to bring their gifts and talents to our state and contribute to the general common good of all Texans."

"As Catholics, an essential aspect of our faith is to welcome the stranger and care for the alien," the bishops say in the statement, issued Friday.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/13/us/catholic-bishops-texas-abbott-refugees/index.html

Apparently Abbott is a Catholic, so this has to sting somewhat.

I got chased out of church (figuratively) pretty young, because I knew I had one of those sins that could never be forgiven.  As I came to accept that being gay was a natural thing that happens to some people, and that it wasn't a punishment for some unknown misdeeds that I might have committed as a 4 year old, it was easy then to start to believe that my church was full of shit, and therefore it was ok to ignore the Bible and to lose whatever faith that I had had in the past.  

If I were to follow the rules of the church I grew up in, I ought to be vociferously working on my family to save their souls.  They are allowing Republicans to do things in their name that I'm quite certain would get them thrown out of heaven, if such a place existed.  

What's ironic here is that the my church so thoroughly extinguished my faith, and my family mostly knows that, that any argument I made here wouldn't hit the mark due to my status as an outsider.  It's crazy what a tidy knot they've made by having the untrainables excommunicate themselves, they've effectively put up a barrier that makes it impossible for those of us on the outside to get through to the people in the flock.  Very neat.  

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I got chased out of church (figuratively) pretty young, because I knew I had one of those sins that could never be forgiven.  As I came to accept that being gay was a natural thing that happens to some people, and that it wasn't a punishment for some unknown misdeeds that I might have committed as a 4 year old, it was easy then to start to believe that my church was full of shit, and therefore it was ok to ignore the Bible and to lose whatever faith that I had had in the past.  

If I were to follow the rules of the church I grew up in, I ought to be vociferously working on my family to save their souls.  They are allowing Republicans to do things in their name that I'm quite certain would get them thrown out of heaven, if such a place existed.  

What's ironic here is that the my church so thoroughly extinguished my faith, and my family mostly knows that, that any argument I made here wouldn't hit the mark due to my status as an outsider.  It's crazy what a tidy knot they've made by having the untrainables excommunicate themselves, they've effectively put up a barrier that makes it impossible for those of us on the outside to get through to the people in the flock.  Very neat.  

The 11th Commandment:  Thou shalt not listen to the malcontents.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Statement from all 16 Catholic bishops in Texas:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/13/us/catholic-bishops-texas-abbott-refugees/index.html

Apparently Abbott is a Catholic, so this has to sting somewhat.

Oh, he's made sure people know he's religious (and Catholic).

But this won't bother him one bit.  People like them believe they know better than everybody else.

On 1/11/2020 at 6:22 PM, Brisketexan said:

Oh, and as to this refugee "burden" that Trumpkins like to wave around -- on a per capita basis, Texas actually takes in a relatively low number of refugees.  In fiscal 2016, a state of 28 million people resettled....7,803 refugees.  One refugee for every 3,590 Texans.

This wasn't done for any policy reason other than to be fucking dicks.  Which is our brand these days.  Abbott wanted to signal that he could be as huge a cocksucker piece of shit as DJT.  Signal sent and received.

I guess every form of refuge has its price.

• Like 3

On 1/10/2020 at 8:47 PM, RPM said:

I want to see that motherfucker stand behind that decision.

I want a reporter to ask him, why the people actually believed he would stand up for refugees, or anything else...

I think that's worth losing media access to this fuckface.  Someone make it so...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bookman said:

Wonder if the Democrats will nominate someone who has a reasonable chance of beating him.

No because Texas.  The R next to his name is all people need to know.

It would be interesting if someone like Beto ran because he has name recognition and a strong base of supporters.  The Dems would also want a strong Lt. Gov candidate as well that could inspire people on their own.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

7 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I want a reporter to ask him, why the people actually believed he would stand up for refugees, or anything else...

I think that's worth losing media access to this fuckface.  Someone make it so...

We need to find a way for the press to be able to ask officials real questions without the threat of losing their jobs. 

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It would be interesting if someone like Beto ran because he has name recognition and a strong base of supporters.  The Dems would also want a strong Lt. Gov candidate as well that could inspire people on their own.

Beto went too far left during his brief presidential run. He’s done in Texas, imo