Cryptocurrencies (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, etc.)

surlybevo

1 hour ago, gyroprotagonist said:

if you are going to be doing anything other than buying and holding, i would also use Coinbase Pro.  no additional fees or anything and transfers between CB and CB Pro are free.

if you want access to more coins then get a kucoin account.  that's what i use, but maybe someone else could chime in RE: crypto.com

Agree on Coinbase pro.  I use voyager for the interest and decent selection of coins.  Uphold, binance, Bittrex (barely use) and Gemini round out my sites, though some of that is because i started a while back.  I would say voyager and cb pro are 90% now and then metamask with uni is most of the rest (if you want access to coins earlier or defi products).  Good time to buy in.

Also, if you open a account make sure to put in a referral code to get some free crypto for trading.   

Edited by Acropora
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Yeah. I’ve only lost like 30% since buying Ethereum a few months ago. Any day now…moonshot.

Yeah it’s always good to spread buys over time, or just set up an weekly scheduled buy. I don’t see how anyone can go wrong with eth in the long run but time will tell whether any one buy was good or bad on timing.

• Hook 'Em 1

So I ran into an acquaintance yesterday.  Always a bit of a douche, but fun to talk to.  Turns out he bought some crypto 18 months ago or so and now he's rich.  Was telling me about his new Lamborghini and one of those "square body" Mercedes SUV's.  Then he went all "cult leader" on me.  Talked about how you can't HELP but get rich on crypto and I'm a fool if I don't get in right away.  The last time I got a high pressure sales pitch like that I almost joined a Crossfit gym.

Wasn't swayed.  Pretty sure I'm gonna stay with the mix of regular mutual funds my grandmother got me into 20 years ago.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

So I ran into an acquaintance yesterday.  Always a bit of a douche, but fun to talk to.  Turns out he bought some crypto 18 months ago or so and now he's rich.  Was telling me about his new Lamborghini and one of those "square body" Mercedes SUV's. 

What kind of rich-- Rich People Rich, or Po' Folks Won the Lottery Rich? Either way, you should join his entourage and help him spend it like he's a young retiree from the NBA.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

What kind of rich-- Rich People Rich, or Po' Folks Won the Lottery Rich? Either way, you should join his entourage and help him spend it like he's a young retiree from the NBA.

Based on his purchases, I’m going to guess Po' Folks Won the Lottery Rich

• Drool 1

19 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

pretty interesting take on web3.  author of article is the guy who started the Signal messaging app

https://moxie.org/2022/01/07/web3-first-impressions.html

I skimmed it pretty quickly and he makes some very good points about people not wanting to do the work of running their own servers or maybe even controlling their own keys.  BUT, any conversation about web3 that doesn't even mention DAOs and/or shared ownership of the "companies" is incomplete IMO.  This space is moving so fast that since this article was published an entirely new NFT marketplace launched and gave away a significant chunk of the equity immediately - to their potential users.  This is the most compelling thing to me and is what could actually turn large chunks of the internet on its head.

https://looksrare.org/

You can now earn WETH just for trading NFTs instead of it all going to OpenSea.  If you were a power user of OpenSea you were given tokens/equity in the LooksRare marketplace to entice you to use it instead of OpenSea.  Their platform is nowhere near as developed as OS, but they are gaining on it pretty quickly.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 11:06 AM, Parliament said:

So I ran into an acquaintance yesterday.  Always a bit of a douche, but fun to talk to.  Turns out he bought some crypto 18 months ago or so and now he's rich.  Was telling me about his new Lamborghini and one of those "square body" Mercedes SUV's.  Then he went all "cult leader" on me.  Talked about how you can't HELP but get rich on crypto and I'm a fool if I don't get in right away.  The last time I got a high pressure sales pitch like that I almost joined a Crossfit gym.

Wasn't swayed.  Pretty sure I'm gonna stay with the mix of regular mutual funds my grandmother got me into 20 years ago.

being early/lucky beats being smart in the short term.  i have found 'traditional' buying/selling of crypto very tough to make decent money on.  better to be early on some high yielding defi pools than chase and speculate on what the BTC whales are going to do.  But the music stops eventually.  ask anyone who bought OHM at the top

image.png.f480ab0c5353d2fb032474f1f40a8acf.png

I never got into this but certainly considered it as lots of people i follow around for defi information were touting its ability to print money as a 'stable' defi option.  

i was late and dumb to crypto in 2018 when I bought eth at the top at $1500 only to see it plummet.  but it looked brilliant when i just stuck my head in the sand for 3 years and lo and behold it cruises to $4k.  I then bought more at the top to get into nfts and the like, but at least knew that volatile investments were volatile at that point and it just came with the territory.

The guy with the lambo most likely is not some brilliant crypto market savant, but rather made a extremely unwise gamble and got lucky it 100x'd.  it happens.  if he is still making ridiculous returns right now, please forward his newsletter, as i would like to subscribe.  

• Hook 'Em 2

man i would love someone to walk me through staking the aave and ankr that i have.  aave looks pretty straightforward based on their site.  ankr, way over my head.  this is a really dumb request but it appears you guys really get all this.  ive just been holding and buying when i can.  pm me if you can help.

thanks in advance.

32 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I got burnt in the OHM Chart above.  Not the full ride from the top but a loss nonetheless. Not every crypto project works out. To find the gems, you have to accept some duds.

100%.   the W's can be huge and dwarf the losses on several L's so take your shots but be prepared for your investment to go to zero.

wasn't trying to pick on anyone that got into OHM, just the most recent one I could think of.

15 minutes ago, txhorns said:

I keep hearing about staking, farming and pools.  More specifically on places like pancake swap and yield parrot.  Is this stuff actually legit?

absolutely but I've never heard of yield parrot.

The real crypto degenerates, and they're proud of that term, chase returns in excess of 10,000% annually. In practice, those returns don't last long so they have to jump in and out quickly.

3 hours ago, txhorns said:

I keep hearing about staking, farming and pools.  More specifically on places like pancake swap and yield parrot.  Is this stuff actually legit?

i am staking in a couple of pools tied to p2e nft games.  it sounds ludicrous, right?  

https://econ.cryptoraiders.xyz/staking  This one i have been in since it started in August and it has been fantastic.  A huge run up and down recently provided a couple of weeks or so at 600+% returns.  It's been around 200% for most of the 6 months.  But here's the deal.  you get back your returns in the native token/coin.  So at some point to realize any of the gains, you have to sell back in to USD.   

https://www.coingecko.com/en/coins/crypto-raiders  here's the chart; look at the 90 day.  so you can see it went ballistic recently and then settled back down.  So profit is more determined on when you sell the coin you have been earning.  

Just started in another another one so will see how it goes.  But yeah, this is not a 'set and forget' type deal.  could go sideways anytime.

16 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Last July when BTC touched 30k I wanted to buy some but then it took off. I may get a second chance.

Yes, I started ramping up buying some GBTC below 50 but should have waited longer. I suppose I could buy more but anything I would sell has been killed at this point.

If you believe in the long term outlook and I think the historical data and more recent interest would support a strong long term outlook, this is an opportunity to leverage dca in a positive way.  If you are looking for immediate 10x return, probably disappointing to you.  Personally, I added some projects I didn't get enough of cheaper and also added to other mainstays that I've already done well on and expect to continue to go up.  If btc drops another 5k I'll be buying even more.  I think at 35/45/55k btc is a bargain compared to what it'll be at in 2025 and I don't want the regrets I had when I didn't buy more at 2k thinking it was overvalued back in 2017...

Same with any of the larger projects that have institutional backing.  

Edited by Acropora
  • Hook 'Em 1