Cryptocurrencies (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, etc.)

surlybevo

18 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

There is a problem in the crypto community that different factions fight against each other as they think only one coin will emerge at the end. “There can only be one!” There’s nothing wrong with thinking that btc, eth and others can thrive together as they have different use cases.

I bet we see 900+ ETH within a month or two. Some profit taking will occur with btc, and enough people may pivot to eth to push it higher.

When I predicted eth would top 900 in a month or so, I was sorta right.  It only took 18 hours.  $904 on Coinbase Pro.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

Do you guys use a portfolio tracker? I’ve been using Blockfolio but it seems to have slowed down dramatically in recent months.

Would love any suggestions.

Crypto pro.

I still use Blockfolio to see portfolio level charts.  Crypto pro is weak in charts for portfolio totals. But better with everything else.

• Like 1

Sorry for the noob question to a bunch of seasoned pros.  I bought a little BTC, ETH and a couple other shitcoins at the last peak about 3 years ago and haven't touched them since.  BTC was like $12k and ETH was like $1.2k. I bought on coinbase and then transferred into binance which is where it now sits.  I think the only reason I transferred to binance was to buy the shitcoins.  Great idea.

Just logged into binance.com and got a notice that I'm on a US ISP and they don't service US customers anymore and to open an account at binance.us and transfer the coins over there within 14 days or they gonna lock my account and make it a pita to get the coins out.

I don't see any advantage to doing this vs transferring back to coinbase. Well other than I'll lose a few dollars, literally, less than $10 on the shitcoins. And coinbase doesn't seem to support as many coins as binance but they seem to have all the popular ones.  Thoughts from the experts?

10 hours ago, shakahorn said:

Sorry for the noob question to a bunch of seasoned pros.  I bought a little BTC, ETH and a couple other shitcoins at the last peak about 3 years ago and haven't touched them since.  BTC was like $12k and ETH was like $1.2k. I bought on coinbase and then transferred into binance which is where it now sits.  I think the only reason I transferred to binance was to buy the shitcoins.  Great idea.

Just logged into binance.com and got a notice that I'm on a US ISP and they don't service US customers anymore and to open an account at binance.us and transfer the coins over there within 14 days or they gonna lock my account and make it a pita to get the coins out.

I don't see any advantage to doing this vs transferring back to coinbase. Well other than I'll lose a few dollars, literally, less than $10 on the shitcoins. And coinbase doesn't seem to support as many coins as binance but they seem to have all the popular ones.  Thoughts from the experts?

Nothing wrong with transferring over to Coinbase especially since you’re rarely have transactions. Self custody is usually preferred but you may want to go thru that hassle.

fyi, blockfi pays 6% and 5% on your btc (up to 2.5 btc) and eth. And they pay in each crypto if you want. Here is a referral code that earn both of us $10 in btc: https://blockfi.com/?ref=78a590f1. They’re backed by top names in crypto but do your research if you feel comfortable using them.

Do you guys think BTC and some of the other larger cryptos taking some share away from dollar denominated commodities as an inflation hedge/cash parking vehicle?  I tend to think that is part of what is driving the upswing we've seen over these last months.  That, and the acknowledgement and attempted regulation of them by the US Gov.

Sold my $Mara today at 15.34. Basis was 0.88. My best trade ever. Kind of sad but they are making some shady moves. 

https://stockdaymedia.com/marathon-patent-group-and-dmg-blockchain-solutions-to-form-the-digital-currency-miners-of-north-america-dcmna-and-launch-north-americas-first-cooperative-mining-pool/

if you read closely they plan on trying to help censor blocks with “questionable” transactions. That’s kind of against everything bitcoin is about. I’m out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BTW said:

Do you guys think BTC and some of the other larger cryptos taking some share away from dollar denominated commodities as an inflation hedge/cash parking vehicle?  I tend to think that is part of what is driving the upswing we've seen over these last months.  That, and the acknowledgement and attempted regulation of them by the US Gov.

I think it is taking some share away in that institutions and large investors are diverting some of their capital that would normally go to those hedges, over to bitcoin. Still small amounts relatively speaking but it’s happening.  

• Hook 'Em 1

The consistent announcement of btc hitting yet another 1k threshold has gotten old. But I think it’s worth noting that cryptos as a whole just surpassed $1T USD market cap in the past few hours.  Bitcoin itself is closing in on 700B.

I understand skepticism about crypto but it hard to argue past history of its growth. 12 years from $0 to $1T. 

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The consistent announcement of btc hitting yet another 1k threshold has gotten old. But I think it’s worth noting that cryptos as a whole just surpassed $1T USD market cap in the past few hours.  Bitcoin itself is closing in on 700B.

I understand skepticism about crypto but it hard to argue past history of its growth. 12 years from $0 to $1T. 

Even at this price, it’s never been a safer bet to buy bitcoin. It’s fucking guaranteed to be higher than today 3 months from now and 6 months from now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

Even at this price, it’s never been a safer bet to buy bitcoin. It’s fucking guaranteed to be higher than today 3 months from now and 6 months from now. 

I bought a fair amount (for me) the days right after Christmas.  What was that 10 or 11 days ago. Up 40% now.  Nuts.  When I bought that day(s), I thought there was a decent chance I was buying at the top for now, and perhaps it could be a while before I was up with those buys. Wrong.  40% up now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I bought a fair amount (for me) the days right after Christmas.  What was that 10 or 11 days ago. Up 40% now.  Nuts.  When I bought that day(s), I thought there was a decent chance I was buying at the top for now, and perhaps it could be a while before I was up with those buys. Wrong.  40% up now. 

Ya, I had a good BTC add then and am actually grabbing more tomorrow. If it moves down...I’ll grab more. I should hit my level of comfort by the end of January.

MARA and RIOT have done well...would be curious how many here are still holding these and what the outlook in their opinion is...depending on amount of currency I grab...I may wind those down a bit.

EDIT: what are y’all’s thoughts on Ripple and Tron? I grabbed a small amount of Ripple recently...and am a gamer so Tron is interesting.

Edited by Tailgate

11 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

Ya, I had a good BTC add then and am actually grabbing more tomorrow. If it moves down...I’ll grab more. I should hit my level of comfort by the end of January.

MARA and RIOT have done well...would be curious how many here are still holding these and what the outlook in their opinion is...depending on amount of currency I grab...I may wind those down a bit.

EDIT: what are y’all’s thoughts on Ripple and Tron? I grabbed a small amount of Ripple recently...and am a gamer so Tron is interesting.

Fwiw, I gave up on tron yesterday. I can’t point to any one event but just thought it was going nowhere. Pivoted tron to more btc.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

I sold Mara today for the reasons I stated a feW posts up even thought it’ll probably still go up. Own Riot Leaps. As long as It acts like a levered BTC play I’ll hold it.

ive never owned ripple or tron. If you own ripple you should sell it. Sec coming down and them and they’re getting delisted. Take the L 

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

I sold Mara today for the reasons I stated a feW posts up even thought it’ll probably still go up. Own Riot Leaps. As long as It acts like a levered BTC play I’ll hold it.

ive never owned ripple or tron. If you own ripple you should sell it. Sec coming down and them and they’re getting delisted. Take the L 

Thanks for the info. I’m much more familiar with BTC...and my XRP holding is small but up from .23 to .30. I may take it over to BTC. 

I’m also watching MARA and RIOT closely.

1 hour ago, Tailgate said:

Thanks for the info. I’m much more familiar with BTC...and my XRP holding is small but up from .23 to .30. I may take it over to BTC. 

I’m also watching MARA and RIOT closely.

No prob. Just trying to help and let you know what info is out there 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, GRHorn said:

You are crazy... that's what people thought leading up to Dec 2017. Maybe it's higher but it also could retrace to 16K over the next few months.

I've read some reports on Coindesk that via chain analysis, some believe that there is a big outflow of bitcoin from the major exchanges. Could be flowing into institutional wallets (via OTC exchange buys) but that is only an assumption. But if we have fewer coins on exchanges and retail FOMO is kicking in, it could be the cause of the 10% growth per day.  But if new fiat isn't flowing in as well, a bubble could soon explode.

21 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

You are crazy... that's what people thought leading up to Dec 2017. Maybe it's higher but it also could retrace to 16K over the next few months.

If anyone is waiting on 16K to buy in, they could be waiting forever. Personally I'm still buying but damn my buy quantities have shrunk at these prices.

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

Lol 40.5k to kerplunk real quick

ha. yeah immediately dropped below 38 but has made a decent recovery. BTC has a common pattern in that when it hits a psychological barrier (e.g. 40k), there is a big drop only to recover. Then within a day, that barrier quietly passes again. Of course that pattern only holds true until it doesn't.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I've read some reports on Coindesk that via chain analysis, some believe that there is a big outflow of bitcoin from the major exchanges. Could be flowing into institutional wallets (via OTC exchange buys) but that is only an assumption. But if we have fewer coins on exchanges and retail FOMO is kicking in, it could be the cause of the 10% growth per day.  But if new fiat isn't flowing in as well, a bubble could soon explode.

If anyone is waiting on 16K to buy in, they could be waiting forever. Personally I'm still buying but damn my buy quantities have shrunk at these prices.

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

DD18-F14-A-1-F0-D-423-C-BEBE-EBEC7-EBFCE

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ZB'Tejas said:

We are in the bull phase of the cycle at just 2X previous ATH. With money printer going brrr indefinitely. With large players buying large amounts. With the free float decreasing daily. 

Do you think these institutional buyers are buying it as a hedge against inflation and monetary policy and are going to sell for 30% gain? Or for 2x? Not while the same macro conditions are in place. 

This fucker is going to pump way higher. 

19 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

ha. yeah immediately dropped below 38 but has made a decent recovery. BTC has a common pattern in that when it hits a psychological barrier (e.g. 40k), there is a big drop only to recover. Then within a day, that barrier quietly passes again. Of course that pattern only holds true until it doesn't.

Ha. And this pattern hits at least once more cycle. Went up to 42K (or slightly under it) this AM, only to plummet to 40,500.  With a recovery to 41 within a few minutes.  Don't go on a coffee break if you're actively trading this, which I'm not.

Beyond noob question that I'm even embarrassed to ask....I have a few BTC.  Bought them on coinbase.  How do I know if they are in the coinbase wallet or if I have them somewhere else?  

I wrote down my long ass code.  

And of course, I'm sure you fine strangers are willing to help and are trustworthy so I'll just PM you my code and username later so that you can investigate for me.  But first, maybe a broad layman explanation would be a nice first step.

37 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

Beyond noob question that I'm even embarrassed to ask....I have a few BTC.  Bought them on coinbase.  How do I know if they are in the coinbase wallet or if I have them somewhere else?  

And of course, I'm sure you fine strangers are willing to help and are trustworthy so I'll just PM you my code and username later so that you can investigate for me.  But first, maybe a broad layman explanation would be a nice first step.

Log into your Coinbase account. If they’re not contained in your Coinbase account, then you need to think really hard about where you might have sent them. Your transaction ledger should show where they went but it’s just going to an address. It won’t say if it was another exchange or a hardware wallet. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I just looked up on Facebook messenger when this guy I use to work with kept trying to contact me about some bs thing called Bitcoin, I thought at the time.  It was Oct 2010 the price was 8 cents a share if I had invested $100 it would be worth right around $50, 000,000 today smh 🤦🏻‍♂️.   Crazy!

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Hornbeliever said:

As @GRHorn mentioned, first log into Coinbase. They’ve probably added some security since you’ve been there so it might take a minute to get through that. Also be prepared that they may need more personal info from you. Govt Regs.

if the coins are in your portfolio, you’re all good. If they’re not, it doesn’t mean they’re lost or stolen. Actually if you wrote down a code, my guess you transferred them to a private wallet. Still Coinbase should have some type of transaction or activity log for you. Look there and tell us what you see.

4 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

I just looked up on Facebook messenger when this guy I use to work with kept trying to contact me about some bs thing called Bitcoin, I thought at the time.  It was Oct 2010 the price was 8 cents a share if I had invested $100 it would be worth right around $50, 000,000 today smh 🤦🏻‍♂️.   Crazy!

Yeah I cringe when I think of the wealth amounts, that could be possible now, with literally just a few dollars a decade ago. But no one knew. Bitcoin true believers at the time dreamed of a $1 Bitcoin.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is a pretty spot on tweet. 

Our government with its big tech partners is engaging in a widespread censorship campaign of a large chunk of the country. If they can censor your speech, when will they try to censor your money? How about in the name of domestic terrorism? It’s only an escalation or two away.

Buying bitcoin and holding keys in your possession is a tangible way to act against the establishment.

And you’ll probably make a bunch of money doing it. 

Thanks yall.  Just logged on and my BTC and ETH I bought a few years ago are in the portfolio.  

However, I hit the "vault" section and that is empty and asking .e if I want to vault the assets.

@GRHorn @Nice Guy EddieWould yall recommend I follow that coinbase trail and pursue the vault?  Or is there a better, preferred method?

Side story:  To understand my dumb thought process...every 1 or 2 years, I put a little bit of money in financially risky shit that is super volatile.  And I give it a minimum of 7 years.  So thankfully, I read a very little about BTC and ETH in 2017 and said, "I'm in and I won't touch it until 2025." I've been telling people it will be at $0 or it will be at $100,000, who knows.  IT took every bit of me in 2018 to not sell at 15k per BTC, or sell just one and play with house money.

I learned this sorta duration lesson when I analyzed Netflix after all these LA people (where I lived at time) were constantly harping how it was going to change the entertainment business.  I got in very soon after IPO and I tripled my money in a month and sold.  Proud of my $15,000 profit!   And now, that 15k profit makes me mad just thinking about how different my life would be if I had told myself I ain't selling for a decade no matter what.

I'm 3 for 4 at the moment with this strategy but again, all 4 could go to zero since its all based on luck and timing.  I've done crypto, biomedicine, cybersecurity, and pot.  Pot is the only one I'm losing on so far.

33 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

Thanks yall.  Just logged on and my BTC and ETH I bought a few years ago are in the portfolio.  

However, I hit the "vault" section and that is empty and asking .e if I want to vault the assets.

@GRHorn @Nice Guy EddieWould yall recommend I follow that coinbase trail and pursue the vault?  Or is there a better, preferred method?

Side story:  To understand my dumb thought process...every 1 or 2 years, I put a little bit of money in financially risky shit that is super volatile.  And I give it a minimum of 7 years.  So thankfully, I read a very little about BTC and ETH in 2017 and said, "I'm in and I won't touch it until 2025." I've been telling people it will be at $0 or it will be at $100,000, who knows.  IT took every bit of me in 2018 to not sell at 15k per BTC, or sell just one and play with house money.

I learned this sorta duration lesson when I analyzed Netflix after all these LA people (where I lived at time) were constantly harping how it was going to change the entertainment business.  I got in very soon after IPO and I tripled my money in a month and sold.  Proud of my $15,000 profit!   And now, that 15k profit makes me mad just thinking about how different my life would be if I had told myself I ain't selling for a decade no matter what.

I'm 3 for 4 at the moment with this strategy but again, all 4 could go to zero since its all based on luck and timing.  I've done crypto, biomedicine, cybersecurity, and pot.  Pot is the only one I'm losing on so far.

Since you don’t sound like you want to move the bitcoins to a private wallet but you also don’t want to sell them right away, moving them to the Coinbase vault helps protect you if your account is hacked. I believe that also means you can’t get to them for a day or two. Which is cool if you don’t want to quickly sell them.

I wouldn’t just wait until 2025 to sell. Mentally set a price to sell 10-20% of what you have. 

This Elon tweet will excite Bitcoin fanboys. Elon likes to troll Bitcoin peeps.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Well that was a fun almost 30% dip over the weekend. Glad to see it’s pulling back up. Realistically those kinds of corrections are healthy. It sounds like some of that had to do with some large miner sell offs. 

I'd expect this to go back down and test 30K... if it breaks below then we keep going down.