Cryptocurrencies (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, etc.)

surlybevo

20 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Holy shit what a day. Thank you Elon, Dear Leader.

Between Btc, gbtc, Riot Leaps, and Silvergate you have helped produce the biggest day of market gains in my life. 

Awesome. This might be my best crypto day.  I basically have zero stock market exposure to crypto, or at least I did prior to today. Even though I don't know if I think of my Tesla stock as crypto but I guess it is now somewhat. If BTC goes up or down by a decent percentage, it will impact Tesla's cash or cash equivalents.

Presumably Elon's decision has already paid off well for them, as I assume today's announcement is about a past purchase not a future purchase. He may already have turned the $1.5B purchase to greater than $2B value now. Not exactly immaterial.

Edit: I can only imagine if Apple or Google ever announced putting money into BTC or accepting it as payment...

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 2

Holy shit what a day. Thank you Elon, Dear Leader.
Between Btc, gbtc, Riot Leaps, and Silvergate you have helped produce the biggest day of market gains in my life. 

Same... what a day!

Kicking myself for not funneling a grip into ETH a few weeks ago, but the big portions I dumped into GBTC lessen that pain.
  • Hook 'Em 1

What a day. Ive not read the whole thread. I went pretty much all in early October. Seems like a decade ago. Never messed with any other crypto except btc as far as buying. 
2 things. If you trade this successfully. My hats off to you. I never tried. Just not in my blood.

second, Mentally and emotionally...i feel the same as the day I went all in. I get why people sell it when they do. Glad im not the one selling today. Must feel awful. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, ajax said:

Well shit. I almost bought some more BTC last week but I was waiting for a dip.

Tough to find the right dips with btc. Continuous buys can be your friend. I think it’s still a good time to buy. I bought at 41 a few weeks ago which didn’t feel the best when it dropped to 31. Now I’m up 9% with that 41 purchase.

what feels the best right now is that the money put into btc from greyscale, micro strategy and now Tesla add credibility, confidence and seemingly a floor for btc. I don’t believe for a second that others won’t join soon if they haven’t already. Large tech companies constantly sink large amounts into acquisitions that often fail. Why not embrace crypto with an investment in btc. Is google, Apple or Amazon really that worried about losing $1b on a mistake? Or do they fear missing out more? Unless their leaders have a fundamental problem with crypto, it is inevitable they will soon join the party.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

What a day. Ive not read the whole thread. I went pretty much all in early October. Seems like a decade ago. Never messed with any other crypto except btc as far as buying. 
2 things. If you trade this successfully. My hats off to you. I never tried. Just not in my blood.

second, Mentally and emotionally...i feel the same as the day I went all in. I get why people sell it when they do. Glad im not the one selling today. Must feel awful. 

Imagine selling at the same time that Tesla and Elon announce that they’ve bought. Smooth brain move.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Tough to find the right dips with btc. Continuous buys can be your friend. I think it’s still a good time to buy. I bought at 41 a few weeks ago which didn’t feel the best when it dropped to 31. Now I’m up 9% with that 41 purchase.

what feels the best right now is that the money put into btc from greyscale, micro strategy and now Tesla add credibility, confidence and seemingly a floor for btc. I don’t believe for a second that others won’t join soon if they haven’t already. Large tech companies constantly sink large amounts into acquisitions that often fail. Why not embrace crypto with an investment in btc. Is google, Apple or Amazon really that worried about losing $1b on a mistake? Or do they fear missing out more? Unless their leaders have a fundamental problem with crypto, it is inevitable they will soon join the party.

Possibly my favorite thing about Tesla buying is it helps to put to bed forever the FUD around mining and environmental concerns. GTFOH

Talk me out of this. 

I know on this thread we only talk about 100x gains, but this seems like a no-brainer for money you want to avoid risk.

USDC is a stable coin set to basically always be at or near $1. Backed by a group called Circle, who have created a partnership with Visa.  BlockFi offers 8.6% interest with USDC. If Circle and BlockFi are to be trusted, wouldn't you want to place excess money here? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Talk me out of this. 

I know on this thread we only talk about 100x gains, but this seems like a no-brainer for money you want to avoid risk.

USDC is a stable coin set to basically always be at or near $1. Backed by a group called Circle, who have created a partnership with Visa.  BlockFi offers 8.6% interest with USDC. If Circle and BlockFi are to be trusted, wouldn't you want to place excess money here? 

Gemini is pushing a 7.4% apy. Haven’t read the details. Zac Prince strikes me as a good dude. Blockfi seems fine by me. Sort of feel like my grandparents shopping CD’s. 

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Talk me out of this. 

This is what interests me too... I'm a boring boglehead at heart but im still trying to find the simplest, lowest fee way to lend crypto. Got pissed off yesterday shuffling currency from coinbase to coinbase pro back to coinbase to coinbase wallet... Googled interest rates and it's starting to occur to me that coinbase is a terrible app for lending. I'm guessing I should be using AAVE's or Compound's app/protocol

23 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Talk me out of this. 

This is intriguing to me too, but what are the downside risks?  I don't see how you can make 8.6% without taking on some decent risk - it's not FDIC insured, so there's a chance BlockFi defaults on their loans and you get left with $0?  What else?

How exactly does BlockFi make money, in order to pay me?

• I assume that if I give them btc, eth, ltc or this stable coin USDC, they may sell it for dollars.
  • This allows them to loan out the US dollars for people that put up crypto as collateral.  https://blockfi.com/crypto-loan-calculator
  • For the regular debt service, the borrower is paying BlockFi interest in USD, which in turn BlockFi can buy crypto and deposit in my account. At least on paper.  From what I can tell they charge between 4.5% - 10% for their loans.
    • If the crypto drops in value, the borrower gets hit with a margin call. If the borrower does not address, or the crypto drops by a certain point, BlockFi sells some of the crypto collateral to cover the loan principal.

I see the following as risk:

• Huge crypto price drop: The BlockFi's borrowers get hit with margin calls, BlockFI has to act quickly to sell. This is one failure point, but let's assume they're ready 24/7. Big assumption.
  • Huge crypto price increase: If BlockFi keeps a too low balance of crypto because they're more interested in loaning fiat money AND crypto prices skyrocket, does BlockFi have the ability to buy enough crypto to pay me and the other depositors back?
    • In order to pay me, BlockFi might have to entice (higher interest rates) more people to deposit crypto or not withdrawal. This is the ponzi scheme scenario.

Does any of this make sense, or am I off base? I find the second risk as my biggest fear. What if they can't give me my crypto because the price is too high.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

That all sounds correct to me.  I'd only use USDC in this scenario because I wouldn't want that much exposure to crypto swings in what would basically be a savings account.  That slice of the crypto space seems like the wild west to me, but that could just be my fear of the unknown.  Are there any regulations on reserves they would be required to hold to cover both sides of the obligations you mention?

8.5% just seems too good to be true.

58 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

That all sounds correct to me.  I'd only use USDC in this scenario because I wouldn't want that much exposure to crypto swings in what would basically be a savings account.  That slice of the crypto space seems like the wild west to me, but that could just be my fear of the unknown.  Are there any regulations on reserves they would be required to hold to cover both sides of the obligations you mention?

I have some btc and eth amounts with them, and on-paper, they've been great about giving me interest but the interest just rolls into my balance. 

While I love seeing more btc and eth in my account each month for doing nothing on my part, the recent rise in prices makes me rethink the balances. Especially Eth.  I'm going to withdrawal some it back to my own wallets.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

• Huge crypto price drop: The BlockFi's borrowers get hit with margin calls, BlockFI has to act quickly to sell. This is one failure point, but let's assume they're ready 24/7. Big assumption.

They survived the 50% drop In a day last March. I listened to an interview afterward with the Ceo and that gave me confidence to put real money to work there. I had it in BlockFi until December when the rumored Mnuchin regs were coming so I pulled it. Still haven’t put it back in. Thinking about it. 

risks- security. They’ve had personal info hacked. So there’s a list out there that has my personal info and bitcoin balance on the site at the time.  

they hold your keys. We’ve seen recently with Robinhood what happens when entities get offsides. Sometimes things get shut down. As is, you have to wait a day after you request your funds to get them. 

I may put some stuff back on there. Waiting for more regulatory clarity. 

As for how do they make their yield, I’m trying to find a good, clear write up on that. I’ll share if I do. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

• I assume that if I give them btc, eth, ltc or this stable coin USDC, they may sell it for dollars.
  • This allows them to loan out the US dollars for people that put up crypto as collateral.  https://blockfi.com/crypto-loan-calculator
  • For the regular debt service, the borrower is paying BlockFi interest in USD, which in turn BlockFi can buy crypto and deposit in my account. At least on paper.  From what I can tell they charge between 4.5% - 10% for their loans.
    • If the crypto drops in value, the borrower gets hit with a margin call. If the borrower does not address, or the crypto drops by a certain point, BlockFi sells some of the crypto collateral to cover the loan principal.

• Huge crypto price increase: If BlockFi keeps a too low balance of crypto because they're more interested in loaning fiat money AND crypto prices skyrocket, does BlockFi have the ability to buy enough crypto to pay me and the other depositors back?
    • In order to pay me, BlockFi might have to entice (higher interest rates) more people to deposit crypto or not withdrawal. This is the ponzi scheme scenario.

Does any of this make sense, or am I off base? I find the second risk as my biggest fear. What if they can't give me my crypto because the price is too high.

I found this video explaining what this trader sees as the pros and cons. The trade that you’re supporting by lending your funds makes sense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Ive seen their CEO go into great detail about their lending criteria. If I recall correctly, borrowing is up to half your balance. Minimum loan is 5k. Im sure its hefty in fees, etc. 

He claims this criteria has resulted in zero defaults thus far. 

I believe they are close to launching a credit card for their clients. Some kind of 1% btc back on purchases. 

I do not keep a large balance in cash anyway. But if I did. Id take the 8% upside risk over the FDIC insured 0%. 

Honestly, I hope these guys succeed. Its nice to be able to borrow against btc without having to sell it. So, im down. 

Full disclosure: im one of those guys that essentially went all in. So dont listen to me about risk. 

Edited by Doyle Hargreaves

The Miami thing is mostly just posturing.

Miami Mayor Francis Suarez proposed paying municipal workers and collecting taxes in Bitcoin, expanding a campaign to promote cryptocurrencies.

The mayor wants to allow the City of Miami’s workers to choose to receive all or a portion of their pay in Bitcoin, according to a resolution passed by the city’s governing commission. In addition, the mayor proposed allowing people to pay all or part of property taxes or city fees in crypto.

Although the commission approved the resolution 4-1, it significantly dialed back its original wording. It only agreed to study the practicality of such steps, rather than taking action, as the original proposal had suggested.

Suarez has been courting Silicon Valley investors and technology companies for months, and adopting Bitcoin is a critical part of that plan. “I think we’re on the cusp of seeing a major titanic shift on this,” Suarez told the city commission. ”It’s an industry that’s boisterous, vociferous and growing, and this would send the right signal.”

Suarez also wants the city to analyze the feasibility to invest some government funds in Bitcoin, the resolution said. It’s not clear how much of that is actually possible: Florida statutes have strict limitations on how local governments can invest surplus funds, generally restricting investments to low-volatility instruments such as those issued by the U.S. government. ...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-11/miami-mayor-pushes-crypto-with-offer-to-pay-workers-in-bitcoin

I know nothing about the company. Hadn’t even heard of it until today reading this thread. BUT what it sounds like from the descriptions here is that they basically turn every user in to a lending institution (I.e., you’re now a bank!). Now, think of yourself that way. If you were starting a bank, would you think 8.5% return seems too good to be true? That’s obviously well above market rate on real estate loans. But for certain types of loans, it’s well below market rate. So this company lends at 12% (just made that up) and they keep 3.5% for doing al the work. My only concern would be whether your investment is tied directly to specific loans or if it’s across the portfolio as a whole. If it’s the latter, your risk is very low as long as the company isn’t a scam. If your money is directly tied to a specific loan, your risk is extremely high.

TLDR: 8.5% doesn’t necessarily seem too good to be true. Also, my explanation of the business could be 100% false. If so, I have a new business idea. Trademark!
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

I know nothing about the company. Hadn’t even heard of it until today reading this thread. BUT what it sounds like from the descriptions here is that they basically turn every user in to a lending institution (I.e., you’re now a bank!). Now, think of yourself that way. If you were starting a bank, would you think 8.5% return seems too good to be true? That’s obviously well above market rate on real estate loans. But for certain types of loans, it’s well below market rate. So this company lends at 12% (just made that up) and they keep 3.5% for doing al the work. My only concern would be whether your investment is tied directly to specific loans or if it’s across the portfolio as a whole. If it’s the latter, your risk is very low as long as the company isn’t a scam. If your money is directly tied to a specific loan, your risk is extremely high.

TLDR: 8.5% doesn’t necessarily seem too good to be true. Also, my explanation of the business could be 100% false. If so, I have a new business idea. Trademark!

Yeah, institutions like blockfi or Celsius are basically just eliminating the bank from the process and giving users the larger chunk of the returns. It also shows now much of the profit banks take for themselves when you put your money in savings. 

I know Celsius requires 150% security (usually crypto)  on all loans and requires lendees to add security if the price of their secured assets drops, so it seems fairly safe, but I haven’t looked into it a whole lot more than that. Obviously, you need to really vet whichever service you use prior to using, but if they’re run competently then it seems like a pretty safe return on your money. 

One tiny disadvantage that earning 8% on Celsius has compared to the 0.0001% that banks pay is that there are no guarantees with Celsius. If it turns out to be a ponzi scheme or outright scam, or even if they are legit but they have bad luck and borrowers all default, you are fucked.

Holy shit, I just downloaded the Celsius app, and you have to “verify your profile”, aka you have to provide all your personal information including SSN and picture of driver’s license. Fuck that.

Edited by XYZ
  • Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Holy shit, I just downloaded the Celsius app, and you have to “verify your profile”, aka you have to provide all your personal information including SSN and picture of driver’s license. Fuck that.

KYC

if you want to open any financial account, without going to the physical bank, youre gonna have to do this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

Jumped on the DGB train today.

Any Crypto fans have thoughts on the “core” 3-5 holdings in this space? I have some BTC...so now just these two.

Stock wise I’ve got MARA and RIOT but I do like holding the actual currency.

I have btc, eth, and link as my main holdings, with small positions in atom and bat (bought a long time ago but finally starting to rise).  Recently bought a few alts with very small positions... But most is in those core 3.  Jmo but I think link is undervalued despite being 2 x up.  Then again, who knows anymore.  Some of the alts are going up 3-5 x in a month.

Would be curious about what everyone else has as a core as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

Any Crypto fans have thoughts on the “core” 3-5 holdings in this space? I have some BTC...so now just these two.
DGB mostly and a small amount of BTC are my only crypto holdings. DGB has been killing it for me lately

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Tailgate said:

About 85% of my crypto is in BTC. The rest is in a little eth and some Shitcoins for fun. 

I think for people just getting into crypto just holding BTC or gbtc is best. If you want to branch out ETh is the next best thing to own. Gives you exposure to the DeFi space. 

If you want to throw more darts than that in crypto you should almost always go for the new shiny thing that’s getting hype. Now that’s DeFi. They’re the ICOs this time around. The “blue chip” DeFi coins would be aave, snx, comp, mkr, uni, yfi maybe zrx could be thrown in there.

If you want to go deeper for longer shots than that it’s really just guesses. Not shilling anything. These are just the ones I own. Stake, Mta, Dia, Rook, Duck (unit protocol), FXF. I got these ideas just from Crypto Twitter traders I follow. 

in general it’s not a good idea to fuck with “zombie coins”. Old Shitcoins from past cycles. Looks like some are pumping now, but I would consider selling. They’re rarely doing anything new or noteworthy. The exception of course is my zombie coin. 😜Decred. Y’all should buy it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Algorand seems like a pretty interesting project and has been on a good run the last week. Also interesting is BAT, and I have started using their Brave browser which is built on Chromium so it functions like Chrome without all the ads and trackers, so it is much faster. And they will reward you with BAT if you opt in to look at an ad. It's pretty cool. I am fairly new to the alt space, but was curious what y'alls thoughts were on these 2.

2 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

Algorand seems like a pretty interesting project and has been on a good run the last week. Also interesting is BAT, and I have started using their Brave browser which is built on Chromium so it functions like Chrome without all the ads and trackers, so it is much faster. And they will reward you with BAT if you opt in to look at an ad. It's pretty cool. I am fairly new to the alt space, but was curious what y'alls thoughts were on these 2.

I've got both of those.  Bought BAT in 2017 and was always surprised why it didn't get traction.  Right now what I do is put small positions in interesting protects and see what happens.  The brave browser is great and in many ways BAT is one of the few crypto projects that already has widespread real life utility.  Then again, it hasn't had the 10x returns that some of the alts have currently.  

22 minutes ago, Acropora said:

I've got both of those.  Bought BAT in 2017 and was always surprised why it didn't get traction.  Right now what I do is put small positions in interesting protects and see what happens.  The brave browser is great and in many ways BAT is one of the few crypto projects that already has widespread real life utility.  Then again, it hasn't had the 10x returns that some of the alts have currently.  

Totally agree on BAT and the Brave browser. Its great and it seems like their project makes a lot of real world sense. I bought into some of these alts mainly for fun and to learn more about the space with a little skin in the game. Re: Algorand, and other companies like Cardano, it seems that they are attempting to create an improved and more efficient platform to ETH, which has some very real-world issues with cost and fees. Plus you can earn more ALGO with staking (around 7% or so), which is pretty nice as well. It will be interesting to see what these alts do over the next few weeks.

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

To finish my past post, I think it’s fine to gamble on alt coins, but going heavy on a single alt coin is basically playing the lottery.

You basically have to look at Shitcoins like this, will they appreciate more than BTC (or eth if that’s your fave). Otherwise you’re just wasting your time and making your taxes more complicated trading in and out of Shitcoins.