"Big" movies you've never seen

GhostOfTomJoad

I don't even know what to say.  How in the world people haven't, and even refuse to watch The Godfather absolutely baffles me.  

Citizen Kane is as good as seeing the Sistine Chapel

@MoJames  Cool Hand Luke, Bridge Over the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, The Hustler, and Dr. Zhivago are all absolute must watch movies. 

Casblanca is one of my favorites. 

Lebowski is a national treasure. 

I find the lack of Shawshank viewing in this thread beyond disturbing.  

Goodfellas?!  Seriously!?  Good God Almighty folks

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Cool Hand Luke, Bridge Over the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, The Hustler, and Dr. Zhivago are all absolute must watch movies. 

Agree 100%...Sidenote: Three of those five were directed by David Lean, consecutively (Bridge, Lawrence and Zhivago). Bridge Over the River Kwai and Lawrence of Arabia both won Oscars for Best Picture and Best Director and Dr. Zhivago was nominated in both categories. All three films won Golden Globes for Best Picture and Best Director.

Talk about a cinematic hat trick.

Edited by Art Vandelay

I watched The Godfather. It was just okay. No idea what all the hype is about. Marlon brando won best actor? The film won best picture? Duvall and Caan were nominated for academy awards?! what?! Duvall is my favorite actor of all time and i felt like he was barely in this movie. He certainly didn't give some oscar worthy performance. i mean he was fine, but his role wasn't anything special. He's done a million other roles that were better/more compelling. And Caan's role wasn't anything spectacular either. for how long that movie was it was really not that great. I do not understand the hype. 

20 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I watched The Godfather. It was just okay. No idea what all the hype is about. Marlon brando won best actor? The film won best picture? Duvall and Caan were nominated for academy awards?! what?! Duvall is my favorite actor of all time and i felt like he was barely in this movie. He certainly didn't give some oscar worthy performance. i mean he was fine, but his role wasn't anything special. He's done a million other roles that were better/more compelling. And Caan's role wasn't anything spectacular either. for how long that movie was it was really not that great. I do not understand the hype. 

Nothing personal, but STFU. Stick to binge watching Greg barnes victories from yesteryear.  

You really have no idea about historical context obviously.   You do realize this was released in 1972

20 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Nothing personal, but STFU. Stick to binge watching Greg barnes victories from yesteryear.  

You really have no idea about historical context obviously.   You do realize this was released in 1972

Really excellent, substantive, informative reply there. Nothing personal, but STFU if that's all you're going to say about it. You didn't even address a single thing I said.

You should definitely watch it again. I was a B/B+ after my first viewing but after seeing it 2-3 times and watching bits and pieces as it comes on TV, it’s an all-timer.

That said, I still don’t get The Godfather Part 2 love after multiple viewings. I love the DeNiro half but the Pacino half is boring as fuck.

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Negged. 

Yawn.

I watched The Godfather. It was just okay. No idea what all the hype is about.

Wow. That’s not a response I would expect from anyone who “gets” movies. Were you paying attention or kind of paying attention while messing around on your phone? The fact that you were unimpressed with the performances of Brando, Duvall, and Caan is just beyond comprehension. They were all perfect. You’ve said you don’t have the attention span for movies a lot of the time, so maybe this just isn’t for you. It sounds like you couldn’t wait for it to end. I wish it was 90 minutes longer. That’s probably because I read the book and I know what a lot of these little looks and reactions by the actors meant. My only advice, which I don’t think you’ll follow because it involves devoting another 30 hours of your life to a movie you didn’t like, is:

Read the book
Watch it again with no distractions
Watch GF2
Watch The Godfather Saga where they put the two into chronological order and added a bunch of scenes that fill in some of those blanks.

I’d probably start by watching it one more time with no distractions. If you still somehow feel the same way, I wouldn’t bother with the rest of that stuff. If you don’t get how Brando won best actor, then this Godfather thing is just not for you. Just please don’t come in here and discourage these other poor souls from watching it. You’re missing something. The problem is you, not The Godfather. Which is fine. I don’t get 2001: A Space Odyssey. Not everything is for everyone.

19 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Wow. That’s not a response I would expect from anyone who “gets” movies. Were you paying attention or kind of paying attention while messing around on your phone? The fact that you were unimpressed with the performances of Brando, Duvall, and Caan is just beyond comprehension. They were all perfect. You’ve said you don’t have the attention span for movies a lot of the time, so maybe this just isn’t for you. It sounds like you couldn’t wait for it to end. I wish it was 90 minutes longer. That’s probably because I read the book and I know what a lot of these little looks and reactions by the actors meant. My only advice, which I don’t think you’ll follow because it involves devoting another 30 hours of your life to a movie you didn’t like, is:

Read the book
Watch it again with no distractions
Watch GF2
Watch The Godfather Saga where they put the two into chronological order and added a bunch of scenes that fill in some of those blanks.

I’d probably start by watching it one more time with no distractions. If you still somehow feel the same way, I wouldn’t bother with the rest of that stuff. If you don’t get how Brando won best actor, then this Godfather thing is just not for you. Just please don’t come in here and discourage these other poor souls from watching it. You’re missing something. The problem is you, not The Godfather. Which is fine. I don’t get 2001: A Space Odyssey. Not everything is for everyone.

I took from his post that he had just watched it. Watching it for the first time in 2018 is not the same as seeing it in 1972.   His thoughts on the acting the story and the movie in general  really gave me nothing in the way of any critical comments other than he didn't like it, not why he didn't like it. Which is pretty much why my post  was just based on the above opening comment about time and context of seeing a movie like that for the first time.

Everyone has their own taste in movies, but to talk away what the cast did as meh, is head scratching. I don't care much for 2001 (because of the glacial pace), but totally get why its such a huge film, and the place it occupies. 

Nothing jumped off the screen for me in terms of the roles played by Caan, Duvall, and Brando. I didn't mention Pacino because I thought that he did in fact give a standout performance. Other standout performances from actors for me: Duvall himself in Lonesome Dove; Hailee Steinfeld in True Grit; Christoph Waltz in Inglourious Basterds; Phillip Seymour Hoffman in Charlie Wilson's War; Javier Bardem in NCFOM; Tom Hardy in The Drop. I feel like that's a fairly diverse group of performances which really stood out to me upon first viewing, performances that stuck with me and made me want to watch them again. I thought that Caan, Brando, and Duvall were fine, but I didn't walk away from it going, "Now that was an Oscar worthy performance." I thought the movie was fine. I liked it, but I'm not just dying to see it again. I enjoyed Goodfellas more than I enjoyed the Godfather. Different movies, but just saying that was a mafia movie that I really liked. Thought the Godfather was good, but wasn't blown away.

Post some scenes if you will, of Duvall and Caan's best work in The Godfather. Maybe I missed something.

Citizen Kane (seen parts of it, but never watched all the way through, start to finish)

Casablanca (same)

Schindler's List (same)

Spinal Tap (same)

Amadeus (same)

Bullitt (same)

The Birds (same)

Inception

Lawrence of Arabia

The Graduate

Any/all of the Harry Potter movies

Any/all of the Twilight movies

Any/all of the Lord of the Rings movies

Any/all of the Matrix movies

Most superhero movies (did see the Christian Bale Batman movies and a couple of the Tobey Maguire Spidermans)

Almost all of the Fast & Furious movies (saw the one that came out just after Paul Walker died)

Most of the big animated movies (did see Finding Nemo, Toy Story and a couple of the Shrek films -- all good)

All of the Jurassic Park movies after the first one

Didn't see any of the Men in Black movies after the first one

38 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Nothing jumped off the screen for me in terms of the roles played by Caan, Duvall, and Brando. I didn't mention Pacino because I thought that he did in fact give a standout performance. Other standout performances from actors for me: Duvall himself in Lonesome Dove; Hailee Steinfeld in True Grit; Christoph Waltz in Inglourious Basterds; Phillip Seymour Hoffman in Charlie Wilson's War; Javier Bardem in NCFOM; Tom Hardy in The Drop. I feel like that's a fairly diverse group of performances which really stood out to me upon first viewing, performances that stuck with me and made me want to watch them again. I thought that Caan, Brando, and Duvall were fine, but I didn't walk away from it going, "Now that was an Oscar worthy performance." I thought the movie was fine. I liked it, but I'm not just dying to see it again. I enjoyed Goodfellas more than I enjoyed the Godfather. Different movies, but just saying that was a mafia movie that I really liked. Thought the Godfather was good, but wasn't blown away.

Post some scenes if you will, of Duvall and Caan's best work in The Godfather. Maybe I missed something.

If you didn't dig it, so be it.  I can't convince you what great performances all those guys gave.  Acting awards are completely subjective.  While I don't agree with you, I can answer how they all got nominated and how it won Best Picture.  Here is the competition for that year:

Marlon Brando – The Godfather as Vito Corleone (declined)

The Godfather – Albert S. Ruddy, producer

Joel Grey – Cabaret as the M.C.  WHAT IN THE HOLY FUCK?!!!  Pacino was robbed.  

27 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

If you didn't dig it, so be it.  I can't convince you what great performances all those guys gave.  Acting awards are completely subjective.  While I don't agree with you, I can answer how they all got nominated and how it won Best Picture.  Here is the competition for that year:

Marlon Brando – The Godfather as Vito Corleone (declined)

The Godfather – Albert S. Ruddy, producer

Joel Grey – Cabaret as the M.C.  WHAT IN THE HOLY FUCK?!!!  Pacino was robbed.  

When weighed against the competitors The Godfather is the clear winner in most of the nominations. 

I'm not going to argue that subtle is any less great than non-subtle.  But you simply don't get the visceral thrill in the Godfather (at least I don't) that you get when Brando does the contender speech, or tries to explain shit to Eve Marie, or takes a gander at the pigeon coop.

I'll admit to just going completely bonkers over On the Waterfront. I think I've probably seen it as much as any other movie, ever.  And I do prefer the odd, over the top Brando of On the Waterfront and Julius Caesar to the subtle figurehead of the Godfather.

26 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I'm not going to argue that subtle is any less great than non-subtle.  But you simply don't get the visceral thrill in the Godfather (at least I don't) that you get when Brando does the contender speech, or tries to explain shit to Eve Marie, or takes a gander at the pigeon coop.

I'll admit to just going completely bonkers over On the Waterfront. I think I've probably seen it as much as any other movie, ever.  And I do prefer the odd, over the top Brando of On the Waterfront and Julius Caesar to the subtle figurehead of the Godfather.

I love both movies, but Brando as the mafia don is a more mature acting job than Brando on the Waterfront. Brando as the mafia don is not like any other mafia don. Brando as Terry Malloy is not a whole lot different than Brando in the Wild Ones IMO.

Now Lee J. Cobb would have been an awesome Godfather.

vsfhb15.gif?noredirect

25 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I love both movies, but Brando as the mafia don is a more mature acting job than Brando on the Waterfront. Brando as the mafia don is not like any other mafia don. Brando as Terry Malloy is not a whole lot different than Brando in the Wild Ones IMO.

vsfhb15.gif?noredirect

Not a movie, but it's getting a ton of press and run today (I guess the announcement of the final season is fresh?), but I have never seen more than half an episode of Big Bang Theory in all of the last 12 years.

16 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Not a movie, but it's getting a ton of press and run today (I guess the announcement of the final season is fresh?), but I have never seen more than half an episode of Big Bang Theory in all of the last 12 years.

I've never gotten the appeal of that show. Every time I've tried to watch it I get completely annoyed with the characters and the writing and I can't finish the episode.