Billboard's Hot 100 Turns 60 - Top Groups of All Time?

DalTxHornFan

I don't recall the details, but the methodology for measuring "sales" has been changed quite a bit over the years.  I believe it used to be shipped albums, which didn't accurately reflect units that didn't sell.  Throw in streaming and I strongly suspect that different eras aren't correctly accounted for on that list.  Maroon 5 at #11 is a dead giveaway, among many others.

Whenever discussing "charts" or "Top 10s" or "Number 1 Hits", keep in mind that the measurements based on radio airplay are determined by a small number of radio programmers who share a specific set of demographic traits that makes these things more like "what a bunch of boring old white guys decide to play on every radio station". Even today in the streaming and Spotify and Youtube era, the decisions of which tracks get promoted on what playlists is determined by a bunch of old white guys (relative to the listeners or users). Just look at the artists in the lists and the biases become pretty clear.